Menu

How much do you spend on your haircut and coloring?

JadeOrchidSong

I used to have my hair done every other week in a salon (very cheap, like $5) when I was young and just started working. I paid much more attention to my hair then. Now I only have a haircut every other year.

Since I am getting older with more and more white hair, I want to invest more in my hair look, such as a nice cut and soon coloring too.

I might get by by spending $40-$50 every two months in the beginning and then learn to color myself to save money. How much do you spend on a haircut and coloring session?

I spend about 30 dollars for a good cut. I only go maybe 3 times a year because my hair doesn't grow very fast. Thank you thyroid. :/ I haven't gone for quite a few months and my hair is still shoulder length.

I color my hair myself with a box or henna probably once a month

Is henna easy to use? I'd like to color at home to cut costs. My hair is Asian black. What color henna do you use? Can you rec a brand?

When my hair is long, I get it cut once a year or so.  I don't colour my hair because I like my natural colour (though I'm starting to see some gray so may change my mind at some point).

When my hair gets long enough, I donate it.  The last time I did this I went really short and I've needed regular appointments to keep it looking nice while it grows out.  I spend about $75 per cut, but I go to a very nice salon.  I'm looking forward to my hair getting long again so I can go back to once a year appointments.

I have always felt that spending a lot of money on haircuts and colour was a huge waste.  Especially when people will spend $100 or more every six or eight weeks.  But, I have really great hair.  It's always been very healthy and thick and I love the colour, I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had hair that wasn't very nice naturally and required colour.

Now, I'd been cutting my own and eschewing color for the previous half decade, so that was $0 for years ;). But this particular stylist is excellent and pricy. However very much worth it as it took her nearly three hours!

I get a great deal for our area. Just to give an idea: my cut and highlights with occasional lowlights would be (was) in the $350 range when I went a nice salon. I found a less expensive salon and paid in the $200 range, feeling it was a great deal. I love my stylist. She lost her salon in a bad divorce, and now she does travel styling. So she comes to my house and does the same work for $150. For about $50 more she'll do the two kids and DH. That includes bleach and color streaks for DS. I think it's a great deal. She comes every 10 - 12 weeks.

Wow, I thought I would be the least expensive, go figure.

I have my hair professionally colored every five weeks.

That runs me 45 dollars and I pay ten more dollars for intense conditioning.

Every three months I pay 15.50 for my haircut and of course a tip on whatever total.

This is one thing I just can't cut costs on. I spend about $40 pre-tip on a haircut and I can go about twice a year (my hair is long). I'm due for a cut right now. I spend about $120 pre-tip on high/lowlights. Twice a year - I do the high/low to cut down on the regrowth.

This is comparable to what I do. I get more haircuts than you do, though. Probably about five cuts per year. My two-step color (highlights and toner all over) is about $110.00 pre-tip.

I can do toner myself at home to stretch the time between needing the highlights, but my hair is so thick, it takes three bottles of color and, let's face it, it's messy and tricky to do at home. As long as I can still put bread on the table and pay the electric bill, I am going to suck it up and pay what it costs to keep my hair looking pretty until such times as I no longer care. At present, I care, so I just suck it up and pay what it costs.

• Like 2

I go once every 3-4 mos. or so, when it starts annoying me and I need it thinned out. I use good shampoo and that helps.  I pay $17 for a cut and tip.  I do not color, I used to have highlights, but it just got to be too much upkeep.  Even with coloring, you have to constantly keep doing it.  Right now, at 41, my grey looks more like highlights anyway, I really don't have a lot of it.

I last cut my hair in December 2013 and I donated it so it was free.  I should probably get it trimmed.  I just do the $10 or 15 trim.  Or I might have my daughter do it.  She trims her own hair and cuts her brothers' hair.  I've never colored my hair.

Sometimes I cut it myself, sometimes I pay for it.

I pay about $35-40 with tip at JC Penny for a hair cut.  My hair is long, straight, has basic layers and is natural color (dark blond no grey yet)...... isn't hard to cut. 

I usually cut it myself a time or two between stylist visits. Since she has to fix it after my chops, I tip  really well. LOL   I don't cut it myself to save money, it is more of a convenience thing.  My stylist and my days off are the same days.  

Many of my coworkers pay well over $100-150 for cuts, colors, hair treatments, Brazilian blow outs, etc.  If I decided to color my hair, it would only be done by a stylist and touchups would be scheduled ahead of time.  After working with people who spend upwards of $1000 a year on their hair, it would be hard to show up with an obvious home color.  

I will likely just let my hair go grey naturally.  I might color it, but I have this budgeting habit of saving a years worth of a cost of something before I commit to it.  That means that if I saved the $1000, I doubt I would spend it on my hair.  LOL 

100-200 including tip. I hate going to the salon, but my hair dresser is awesome and she gets me. I try to go twice a year, but I have a finicky cut, so its more like 4-5 times a year. She bleaches out a part of it (when it needs it) and colors it when I do that. Otherwise I do color at home. 

I paid $35 for a cut yesterday. It's expensive, but my neighbor who works at a high end salon cuts it at home on her front porch, and $35 is much better than $55+ tipping both her and the shampoo girl at the salon. I only get my hair cut about once every 6 months and I don't color at all. 

I colour it myself, so maybe 10$ for that every 6-8 weeks?  I buy from Sally's and it is really cheap.  I spend plenty at Sally's, just not on the dye, lol. 

I get a cut about 5 times a year, maybe 4 times.  I can spend 30-70$ depending on where I go.  The more expensive place was a Deva cut and was amazing.  But the cheaper place is very good and I can live with it.  But a good good cut is worth the price, for sure!  

I pay under 30 (includes 20% tip) to get it cut every 6 wks.  I color myself and spend about $10 every 5 weeks to color it.  when I was paying someone to cut AND color it, I paid around $100 to $120 after tip.  Since i know how to color my hair now, I just can't imagine spending that.  

$17 per haircut + $3 tip, need to go every 8 weeks or so, but usually am lucky if I fit it in every 12 weeks. My hair is short and layered and curly, so it needs cut pretty often to stay under control. I got it colored and highlighted a couple of times and that was about $90 and included the cut as well. DH thought the cost was ridiculous and would get angry every time I had it done, so I stopped doing it. I've used box color a couple times since then, at like $9 a pop. I have a color and highlight kit I bought for $12 that I want to use soon,but I'm chicken.

Before I had kids, I used to spend $150 or so on a haircut and highlights every 6-8 weeks.  

After I had kids (and gave up my career), I gave the local Hair Cuttery a try.  I got a great haircut for $17.00 plus tip.  I stopped highlighting my hair, but if I want to add in a few, they charge me $3/strand... so in the middle of winter, I may add a few around my face.

I've not had much luck at color-at-home because my hair has a lot of red in it...and this can lead to strange results. :)  I've spent quite a bit a few times trying to fix a bad dye job at home.  

• Like 1

My stylist is pricey. She's worked backstage at NY Fashion Week, and has tons of advanced training. I pay $75 every 3 months or so for a cut. All over color every 4 weeks is $105. I usually do highlights every 2-3 months, which is $145 (instead of the all over color). You can add another 20% for tip on top of that. So, I probably average $150ish/month on my hair. 

I spend under $15 for color.  I found a L'Oreal with the two step process for coloring and highlighting.  I get a lot of compliments on it so I assume it looks ok.

Haircuts are about $25 every 6 months or so.  I sometimes cut my own or trim it up myself.  I have very wavy hair so you can't tell if I don't get it 100% cut evenly.