Menu

How much do you spend on your haircut and coloring?

JadeOrchidSong

In my 40's I used a box to cover the few silver highlights I had and a cut every 3 months or so for $40 including tip.

The past year (now I'm 50) I have way more silver highlights than I prefer-- plus my hair that still has color is coming in dull.  I now get highlights and lowlights every 10-12 weeks along with a cut.  I pay $130 with tip but she does a GREAT job -- DH loves the color job's texture.  I do allow a few silver highlights to remain visible...

I color because I have a 13 yr old dd... I was tired of looking like her grandmother and the boxes (solid color) no longer did the trick.

• Like 1

I've decided recently that I need to get colour done at the salon rather than doing it myself - as I become more grey, boxed colour doesn't work well.  So I'm going more often and get a cut more often.  My stylist says that I can come every four months if I will touch up the roots once, or every three months otherwise.  The cut is about $60 but the colour is over $100 which is pretty pricey for me.  But I have to say I have generally found cost is a good indication of quality with hair stylists - the good ones who give a great cut every time don't seem to stay at the cheaper places for long.

I get my hair cut every six weeks. $42 + $8 tip.

I haven't colored my hair in years. I am a brunette, which I think makes it tricky. My hair started taking on a Morticia Adams quaity - darker and darker. I tried going lighter, but it just didn't suit my skin tone (pasty white). So, I gave it up and EMBRACED THE ARCTIC BLONDES!!!!

Most of my Arctic blondes are concentrated in the front - kind of a Stacy London stripe, though not quite as prominent. I have actually had several people ask me if I PUT the Arctic blondes in!

Depending on what I have done, I pay up to $150 (for cut, base color, highlights and tip).  My hair is mid-back length, thick, curly, and is over 50% gray.  I utterly failed at coloring it at home and damaged it quite a lot.  I get base color once every 2-3 months (mostly root touch up), a cut about twice a year, and highights about twice a year.  I use $6 root touchups at home between salon visits, about every 3 weeks.  Little dd helps me get to the back.

My hair is my best asset at this stage so I treat it as such.  I started going gray at 21.  I'm not ready to be gray yet.

I'm generally pretty frugal. I try to buy inexpensive skin care and cosmetics. I own a whole lot less shoes and clothing than most women (heck, I own 1/10 as many as my husband!). I don't get manicures or pedicures or massages or facials. But I do get my hair professionally done every six weeks. I have an amazing stylist, who is ridiculously cheap compared to others in my area: $75 for cut and color. Since she hasn't raised her prices in years, I tip generously.

• Like 1

I pay $25  for a wash, cut, and style (blow dry). That's fairly standard for my area. I do this about every 6 weeks though sometimes I go longer. Color touch ups are $50, and are about 3x a year, usually during one of the times I'm getting it cut. Full color with highlights, twice a year is $125. All prices are pre-tip and I always tip 20 percent.

DH cuts my hair twice a year in the backyard, and I have never used dye.  So, $0. 

I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay $50+ every month or two!  

I suppose there will come a day when long hair (mid-back) just doesn't "fit" my age, although I hope to be able to get away with calling it "countercultural" instead of "cheap and lazy."  ;)

• Like 1

I used to spend $30-35 including tip on a hair cut about 3 times a year.  Just last week, I tried a new stylist at the recommendation of some friends on Facebook.  This lady just started up her own salon in her house and only charged me $10 for a great cut!  I was shocked she was so cheap and did such a good job.  Now, I can afford to get my hair cut more often!  I would love to get my hair colored and highlighted, but I personally can't justify the expense right now. 

Uh, none?

Then again, I don't have very fancy hair, and I've had pretty much the same style for twenty years, so I might not be the one to ask. It's long and straight. DH likes it, and that's all I really care about. I trim it myself from time to time and have DH verify that it's pretty even. I also (sorry, don't hate me) have no grey yet, so I haven't even thought about the best way to color, if I ever will.

Is henna easy to use? I'd like to color at home to cut costs. My hair is Asian black. What color henna do you use? Can you rec a brand?

No, henna is not easy, it takes forever and it's a mess. I did it for years and eventually starting using hair color, the "natural" stuff first, and just the regular chemical one now.

I pay $25 including tip for a haircut every 4 weeks. My college son and I go together, so that includes the discount for the two of us.

I color my own hair using products from Sally Beauty Supply that my stylist helped me figure out. It's about $8 every 4 weeks. My gray is wiry and all over the place, plus I have enough of it to know what it is like when I don't color. I plan to keep coloring!

Sometimes I go more than a year without a cut. I've gone two or three years. Sometimes I go two times in a year. For many years I went to a barbar shop around the corner. I would get a cut during one of my ds's cuts. I've branched out now have gone to hair cuttery. I don't know what they charge for long hair, cut only ( no blow dry and style). I coloredy hair twice from a box over twenty years ago. It was obviously a different color--dh did not notice. Other people did, but not dh.

I'm a few months shy of 50. I have no visible gray. Dd finds a strand every couple of months. I've been trying to decide what I want to do when I get more gray.