Menu

Sort of S/O question: Are your rings soldered together?

AnnE-girl

I was thinking about this with the post about the Duchess of Cambridge still wearing her rings after giving birth. I had never heard of having your engagement ring soldered to your wedding ring until my sister learned it was common among her in-laws. I purposely chose a very plain band so that I could wear my wedding ring on its own when I don't want to worry about wearing my diamond engagement ring when changing diapers or cleaning around the house.

I'm just curious what others have done and if it's a local custom. If it matters, I'm from a large suburban area in the Midwest and my sisters' in-laws are from a more rural area.

Yes, mine are soldered together.  That was 21 years ago in Oregon for reference.The band is a crescent that wraps around the solitaire.  I would never wear it on its own.  I didn't like how they would separate sometimes and snag on things (usually when I was asleep), so they were soldered right after I started wearing them together. 

I never liked the set (long story on how I ended up with them) so at one point I thought about having them undone so I could just wear the solitaire or get a new wrap, but I don't know if they can do that or not.  ...... Instead I got diamond earrings and put the ring into my jewelry box.  LOL

I have a diamond engagement ring that was my great-grandmother's and then we chose what they called a "jacket"--a thin band with two diamonds that fit on either side of my engagement ring--for the wedding band. They are attached (soldering doesn't seem like the right word) and are like one ring with 3 diamonds in a row. I lived in CA at the time we chose the jacket; attaching the two permanently may have been the jeweler's recommendation (can't really remember).

No. But I wear them on separate hands (engagement on the left, wedding on the right hand). I don't like the way they look together. They are gorgeous individually, but not together. Also, my fingers are way too short to wear both together. They are both very wide bands so it just looks funny to me.

My wedding ring is a wrap so it is made to go around my engagement ring.  It wouldn't look right on its own.  They were soldered together either right before or right after the wedding.  It is too long ago now to remember which.  My sister and best friend also have soldered their rings together.  My brother's wife didn't because her wedding band is plain white gold band which didn't really fit with her engagement ring which is black hills gold.  They are both very pretty but she rarely wears them together.

Mine are soldered together.  I had never heard of it until dh mentioned getting it done - 10 years ago in NJ.

Mine is actually three bands total.  My engagement ring is in the middle and I think they did refer to it as a "jacket" when it was done.  My engagement ring is a solitary diamond with a band that forms a diamond shape around the diamond, then crosses over at each side before curving around my finger.  The band has a groove pattern in it so you can clearly see how it crosses over.

My two wedding bands each follow the shape of the engagement band so each has one point of the diamond.

First time I got married, my wedding band was a wrap like this: http://m.kay.com/en/kaystore/engagement---wedding/diamond-enhancer-ring-1-3-ct-tw-round-cut-10k-yellow-gold/100006/100006.100007.101013

So it had to be soldered to the engagement ring (solitaire).

Now I have (second marriage) a princess cut solitaire and my wedding band is a plain white gold band. It's simple and pretty. I'm glad I kept them separate. After I had my first baby, I got really puffy from the fluids they pumped me with, and my wedding band is just slightly smaller than the engagement ring, so I took the band off but kept the engagement ring on.

Mine are because of the way the band is designed. The solitaire nestles into a nook of the band and I didn't want them separating and turning around my finger. I have no idea if it's a norm around here or with my family. It's never come up. I've never had a problem wearing my solitaire during pregnancy or in the course of housework or baby care.

• Like 1

Mine are soldered together.  I think this was considered the norm.  At least the jeweler made it seem like the thing to do.  I never questioned it.  I wore the engagement ring up until right before the wedding and then we had them soldered together right before the ceremony.  Married 26 years ago in mid size metropolitan area in midwest.

Joy

Yes, mine has a jacket, and the jeweler recommended that. If the rings rub against each other, they won't last as long.

I actually have a band that found at a thrift store that I wear sometimes.  Especially during canning season and when fishing and snorkling, I put the good one into the safety deposit box and wear the plain one. 

Yes, of course. My wedding band and engagement ring are soldered together, but like others have mentioned, they were made to go together. But when I got my anniversary band the jeweler wouldn't solder them together. I don't know why not.

Many do, mine are not. 

I have man sized hands with big knuckles.  I find it easier and more comfortable to get 2 thin rings off one at a time, than to get a wider band off.  I take them off everyday to shower and often to clean or garden so I wouldn't want to fuss with a larger band and my knuckle. Also, sometimes I just wear one and I wouldn't want to give up the option to do that.  Ie: camping.  I leave my solitaire at home when we go camping. 

Mine aren't.  I have an old-fashioned plain solitaire diamond that is set fairly high.  There are lots of occasions where I would not want to wear that for fear of catching it on something, but I would want to wear my wedding ring.  But all of that is moot right now because I need to get my rings resized.  The stress weight gain is as bad as pregnancy swelling. 

My girlfriends and sister all have their wedding and engagement bands attached. They had them done almost immediately after getting married, on the recommendations of their jewelers. We are all in OR, married 20-25 years ago.

I only have one ring, so not attached. :)

Um, no. . .

My husband and I were poor college students when we got engaged/married.

I am anti-diamond anyway.

We each have a simple white gold engagement/wedding ring.  My husband still wears his.  When I got pregnant, my ring became too small.  I bought a basic ring for $7 at target and wear that now.  For awhile I wore the "real" ring on a chain around my neck, but that got annoying and when I still couldn't wear the ring post-pregnancy I stopped.  Now it is . . . somewhere.

Ananda

No, never occurred to us. They're simple and not a set (bought in different states, actually). When I couldn't wear my rings toward the end of pregnancy (or very occasionally when doing messy work), I put them on a necklace chain.

My first set was. It nestled together, so it would never have worked to not have them soldered. Had to replace them because I was allergic to the band. Now my new set isn't. I like being able to wear the band without the diamond when I am busy around the house. I do wear them both when out. 

Like the OP, I never had mine soldered. I wanted to be able to wear them separately. When we backpacked for a couple of months in Africa and Europe, I left my diamond engagement ring at home and only wore my wedding band. Most of the time I wear them at the same time.

I was married in CA eleven years ago. I don't think my mom has here soldered either...

Yes, mine are. I don't wear my original plain band, but wear a ring my husband gave to me for our tenth anniversary. It and my engagement ring are soldered together. There is a very practical reason - the setting on the engagement rings rubs the setting on the anniversary ring and loosens one of the stones on my anniversary ring. Soldering stabilized them so that it doesn't happen anymore. 

My mother's are, and she got a replacement band years ago and just wears that most of the time. Mine aren't and I just wear the wedding band. I had too many pins bend on my setting when I tried to wear the engagement ring, and I was afraid of losing the stone.

Yes. My engagement ring is rose gold from 1902 (husband's great-grandmother's engagement ring we had set with a diamond taken my great-great-aunt's engagement ring--he had the setting with no stone and I didn't care for the setting in the ring I had inherited). We had a slightly curved band made in rose gold to match it and they are soldered together to keep them in the correct orientation and prevent damage to the engagement ring.

Mine are not. They are also different metals and don't nest together very well, so I don't know if they even can be. I never looked into it. I sometimes just wear the plain wedding band and leave the engagement ring behind since it has a more delicate stone (it isn't a diamond). My mother's and sister's are soldered, though.

I had mine soldered shortly after marriage, 20 years ago. However, I don't wear my wedding rings most of the time. I wear an anniversary band. It is a filigree pattern with tiny diamonds and it is flat. I don't love the high profile of my diamond engagement ring, so I don't wear it for everyday.

Mine are soldered, 14 years. My mom's are soldered, 42 years. My rings are taller/heavier on top so the wedding ring kept twisting under. I had them soldered because the diamond naturally stops at my fingers on either side so can't rotate completely into my palm area.

Mine aren't. My mom's aren't either. I don't know if my MIL has an engagement ring as she mentioned they were very poor when she married. My engagement ring is a simple solitaire that would have snag my sweaters. My wedding ring is a simple band so that is easy for everyday wear.