Menu

Do you cook all the meals?

SemiSweet

I'm having a serious moment of guilt because I very rarely make breakfast and never make lunch. I'm wondering how many people do. My big kids are 9 & 11 and they can make themselves cereal, oatmeal, sandwiches, bagels, burritos, Mac n cheese, etc. I can't even remember the last time I made a lunch. The baby just has a sandwich or hummus or leftovers, something mostly healthy. If you do make breakfast and lunch what do you make? I'm thinking I'll try to do one more a day.

Don't feel guilty.  We all make our own breakfast here.

I make dh's lunch but only because his lunch is his dinner and then he goes to work.  (I then reheat dinner later for the rest of us.)

Otherwise we make our own lunch.  And dh gets a sandwich or leftovers for his "lunch" (supper) at work.  

So I make dinner but even then not every day.  Dd12 makes a good shrimp scampi and ds17 makes good enchiladas, chili, carne asada and gyros.  (Not all at the same time!)  Dh occasionally will make us Filipino food.  

I make breakfast, at most, once a week. The kids are pretty good at getting their own breakfast. I make lunch about half the time. It really depends on the time of year and how busy I am with things. It's a meal I know everyone can fend for themselves, but I gladly make it if I'm in the house and able to. Supper I am the usual cook. Dh cooks regularly, but I am the usual cook. I do make sure there is pre-prepped stuff available for the kids and lots of different baking for snacks, along with fruit.

I also never make lunch or breakfast.  I make sure variety is available: croissants, cereal, toast, fruit, eggs.  They can make their own up or the oldest can cook her own eggs if she really wants to.  Same for lunch.  Variety of veg + hummous available, bread + sammich fixings, or left overs from the night before.

Sometimes I will make a smoothie for everyone.   On the weekends I'll sometimes do a fry up - eggs, bacon/sausage, toast and spinach.    

I'm almost certain to cook breakfast. Other meals throughout the day are more assembled than cooked. 

Don't feel guilty. If food is there, the kids will find it. Babies who can't even crawl yet will flop themselves across the floor to get at a nectarine if you leave the shopping bags lying about.

On the contrary, I am impressed that you have raised children to be self-sufficient and independent.  I think it shows great parenting on your part!!  Everyone in the world needs to learn to feed themselves at some point, better start them young!

I do get everyone's breakfast ready.  They all have lunch out of the house.  Dinner is homemade but not by me (Reason #1 I love living in India!)

I am in the camp of - when are they going to invent a pill for nutrition so we can get over this whole silly making meals multiple times a day!

Breakfast is almost always a help yourself deal at our house.  Once a month or so I might scramble eggs and cook potatoes for everyone, but those really are special times.  My kids could do cereal, eggs, toast, various veggies, or really, whatever they wanted from when they were really young.  Youngest actually started to get his own at 3 years of age - 'cause he wanted to be like his older brothers.  He didn't cook at that age - but he could do cereal (and he hated milk on cereal until his late teens, so that wasn't an issue).

Lunch depends.  If we're home, I sometimes will fix something for all of us.  Other times everyone gets what they want (sandwiches, etc).  It literally depends upon the day.  If I'm going to school, everyone gets their own.

Supper we try to do together and will shift the time it is served to do so.  Sometimes I cook.  Sometimes hubby cooks.  Sometimes we get take out Chinese/pizza/other.  Once in a while we'll go out.

I've never felt guilty.  It all worked well for our family.  I never heard a complaint.  My guys liked days/meals when they could get their own food.

Don't feel guilty.  As soon as my kids were old enough, they made their own breakfast and lunch.  Some would wake up very early and were hungry!  Making their own breakfast made sense.  And making their own lunch taught them to be creative in the kitchen.  (At least that's what I told myself.  ;) )  They can all throw together dinner now, some quite well.  It's great!

I don't see what you have to feel guilty about.

Everyone here is on their own for breakfast.  Once every couple of weeks my husband will make pancakes or waffles for all. Occasionally on a Saturday I'll make baked eggs for him and me (kids won't eat them).  Otherwise, help yourself.  There's always appropriate food.

i do pack my husband's lunch as it's easier for me than it would be for him, and I'm happy that he's willing to go to work every day for us, and save money by taking lunch 90% of the time.  The kids and I generally scrounge for lunch. My daughter will sometimes make mac and cheese, or we'll eat something frozen, or have hummus, or sandwiches, or - dare I say it - ramen.

I do make dinner every night unless we want to grill because I still haven't learned how to to turn on the gas grill.  :rolleyes:   Working on that, as it's inconvenient to wait for the man to get home just to light the grill.  I figure I can figure out the actual cooking once the grill is on. 

It's great for kids to cook for themselves. 

I have never cooked breakfast or lunch. Unless you count when the girls were babies and I heated up their baby cereal or whatever. My mom never cooked lunch, though she and Dad always had bacon and eggs for breakfast (we girls got our own whatever). I think it is very common to only actually cook one meal a day. Well, actually, I know many who don't even do that much, lol.

I don't cook breakfast every day, but I do usually cook lunch and dinner. One goal I have this year is to teach the kids to cook. Dd has never really been interested in it, but the dorm she wants to stay in next year has a kitchen. She needs to learn to cook some things. 

I may start doing some math tutoring, so I might need them to do some of the dinner cooking. 

Where I come from, people do not cook breakfast. Breakfast is coffee/milk and bread + cream cheese/jam/nutella. or cereal.

I set the table, and when the kids were little this was our big family meal where everybody was there.

Lunch is our warm meal. If I am home for lunch with the kids, I cook. If I am at work for lunch (and sometimes the kids would be there too, doing school in my office), we go eat at a soup&sandwich place.

Dinner is not a warm meal in our culture, unless it is a special occasion. It's bread and cheese/meat and fresh vegetables/salad.

Even if I was a SAHM, it would not occur to me to cook three meals a day.

Now that my kids are teens, they may or may not cook themselves a breakfast or their own lunch.

I don't make breakfast but I usually make lunch only so the girls can keep working. I also don't buy a lot of excess food, so I do like having some say in what they eat for lunch, to make sure nothing was intended for a future dinner.

I make dinner about 80% of the time. My husband travels, so if he's home, I leave dinner to him a few nights so I get a break. The girls are starting to cook more, too.

I don't typically cook breakfast or lunch.  I don't even serve breakfast or lunch all that often.  It's mostly a free for all here.  Even the 3yo can slap together pb&j.  I provide store bought natural peanut butter, small farm jam, and whole grain bread. Zero guilt, though regret is common when my kitchen gets sticky!

(We have other things, too, but pb&j is most common for the little boys!)

I don't typically cook breakfast or lunch.  I don't even serve breakfast or lunch all that often.  It's mostly a free for all here.  Even the 3yo can slap together pb&j.  I provide store bought natural peanut butter, small farm jam, and whole grain bread. Zero guilt, though regret is common when my kitchen gets sticky!

(We have other things, too, but pb&j is most common for the little boys!)

I wish my kids would eat that.   Around here peanut butter is for cookies.  Sigh.  :001_smile:

I wish my kids would eat that.   Around here peanut butter is for cookies.  Sigh.  :001_smile:

Lol.  Honestly, it's getting to be a little bit of a pain.  My 7yo is very good at asking if we're going anywhere that day before breaking out peanut butter. (Kids are so much more allergy-aware than adults!)  My 3yo is driven more by impulse.  It's not uncommon for him to get an extra bath so we don't spread oils or air born particles on a play date or field trip!

I'm having a serious moment of guilt because I very rarely make breakfast and never make lunch. I'm wondering how many people do. My big kids are 9 & 11 and they can make themselves cereal, oatmeal, sandwiches, bagels, burritos, Mac n cheese, etc. I can't even remember the last time I made a lunch. The baby just has a sandwich or hummus or leftovers, something mostly healthy. If you do make breakfast and lunch what do you make? I'm thinking I'll try to do one more a day.

Yep, I do.

Although, I am loathe to define "cooking" around here, :lol: ( this board, not my house )

So, let's say I do stuff that results in edibles being available for my kids.

I like doing stuff for them. Shrug. Doing stuff that results in edibles for my kids I something I like to do.

I cook breakfast only on Saturdays. It takes 1.5 hours to cook, feed them and clean up the mess. If the kids were off at school it might be acceptable, but I don't want 1.5 hours of work first thing in the morning before school. They can get cereal, toast, oatmeal, etc.

Lunch is usually leftovers, sandwiches, or salads.

I do cook supper.

I do not feel guilty about any of this.

My kids will be 11 and 9 next month, I don't ever make lunch for them anymore. I'm thrilled!

I don't usually make breakfast but sometimes I will make eggs if I think DS needs some fat/protein before school.

You should feel proud that your kids are learning important life skills.

My kids get a warm-ish breakfast if they get to the table (fully dressed) with enough time to do the breakfast justice, assuming I am not too crunched for time myself.  Their warm-ish breakfast may consist of any eggs to order, waffles or bagels (from the freezer/toaster), pancakes (from the freezer/nuker), toast to order, or instant oatmeal.  It is a lot better than I ever got on a school morning.  ;)  They always get yogurt and fruit and the option of cold, dry cereal.  :)

On days when they don't have to go to school, they are free to make their own breakfast.  They know how to make eggs and use the toaster.  ;)

Lunch is usually cold, whether at school (I pack) or at home (they prep).

I cook breakfast and make a lunch for my 6yo before he leaves for school in the morning.  Dh and ds13 and ds15 make their own breakfasts.  Dh takes leftovers for lunch and I cook something for the other three of us most weekdays since that's ds15's favorite meal of the day.  He almost never likes what I make for dinner, but he loves lunch (probably because it don't have vegetables). I always cook dinner with the rare exceptions of when we get tamales about once a month. Dh usually makes breakfast on Saturday for the boys and I usually make it on Sunday.  Everyone does their own lunches on the weekend.

I think it's a great idea to have kids get their own breakfast and lunch.  If I make lunch, it's bulgur pilaf, homemade pasta (or should I say from scratch?), or a pot of rice with different sauces for everyone.  I make the rice, they make the sauces.

Youngest actually started to get his own at 3 years of age - 'cause he wanted to be like his older brothers.  He didn't cook at that age - but he could do cereal (and he hated milk on cereal until his late teens, so that wasn't an issue).

From the time my kids were tots, I always kept their dishes and easy nonperishable food (like cereal) in low cupboards which they were allowed to access.  I even kept a water dispenser in their reach because they could not reach the sinks.  I had this weird vision of being unable to get up and give them something to eat and wanted to make sure they would be able to fend for themselves.  :P

With this setup, they did not need help except with refrigerated or cooked stuff.  Of course I didn't leave them on their own like feral children, but this did help get them ready for more independence, and they enjoyed being more in control.

My kids also don't have milk in their cereal.  I used to prep it that way, but they would waste most of it and then I had to throw out the soggy remains.  They like it better dry and I can save the leftovers for another meal or snack.  ;)

I cook breakfast on occasion.  Usually it's a weekend but not always.  I made breakfast this morning, but I was in the mood for what I made and I had people (guests) here to eat it.

I usually make dinner, or we'll go out, but it's not uncommon for people to fend for themselves.  

Everyone's pretty much on their own for all other meals.  DD11 packs her own lunch.  We just don't make a big fuss about it around here one way or another. 

I'm not a morning person.  My kids would starve if they had to wait around for me to feel up to making them breakfast.  They've been getting their own since they were probably 4 or 5 with the exception of cereal which was out of their reach.  My idea of making breakfast consists of sticking frozen Pillsbury biscuits in the toaster oven.  Now every so often I get inspired and make muffins from scratch in the afternoon for breakfast the next day.  DH cooks them pancakes on the weekend.

Lunch is another fend for yourself.  Only the youngest still needs a lot of guidance there.  He also doesn't like to spread peanut butter, so whoever is in there making lunch with him usually has to help out.

Dinner is my chore most days.  I haven't convinced the family to go vegetarian with me, so DH is often in there figuring out how to add meat to whatever I am making (like on the side, not in my dish).

I always have, but I have morning sickness, and my older two can pour cereal, make PB sandwiches and want to learn to cook. I let them handle breakfast. Sometimes lunch. I don't have a lot of energy right now. I have to let them help where they can and save myself for the things only I can do. 

D cooks when he wants to. I'm vegan, and he's not, so if he wants meat, he cooks dinner. He can also throw something together when I'm not up for it. 

Good for you, raising helpful, responsible, capable kids. That should be the goal, not always doing everything for them. 

My kids make themselves breakfast. I taught my oldest to use the microwave when he was in second grade. That year I bought some decent instant oatmeal (Oat Revolution?) and they had a line on the package that you'd fill the water up to. He made his own and got a kick out of making breakfast for his sisters. As the year went on I'd pre-measure old fashioned oatmeal and left the measuring cup out. Now, in fourth grade he can do it all on his own from start to finish. As an extra bonus, since two of my kids are early morning people and I'm not...they can eat with the birds and I can eat at a much more reasonable hour. :0)

Lunch, we all eat together, but each member of the family assembles their own lunch. I precut veggies and put them in containers in the fridge, but I did teach my 4th grader to safely use a sharp knife so he can do some of that for himself. If dh is here then this is our family meal. It's still sandwiches, though, because I can't juggle homeschooling and dinner prep.

Dinner is the only meal I make every day from start to finish.

Really, though, I think raising independent and capable children is important. Making their own breakfast and lunch eases my work load and makes them feel capable. Even the youngest can do it herself....that's a big deal for her.

I make dinner almost every night. During our busy seasons (October, April), we might have to eat out about once a week, sometimes twice a week, to make the schedule work. I make Saturday breakfast/brunch. I prepare all of my disabled dd's meals. Other than that, every one gets their own breakfasts and lunches, choosing whatever appeals to them.

Every family has their own way of preparing meals. Don't feel bad.

Our family does not eat supper. Our dinner is at lunch and I only cook for all of us two weekdays and sometimes on the weekends. DH eats in town Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so the kids and I eat what we want those days. Usually it's something simple like soup, sandwiches, soft tacos, nachos, etc. I make regular meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays because DH comes home to eat lunch those days. So I try to make something substantial. On the weekends, sometimes DH helps me by cooking a big meal that we eat over the course of a couple of days. Otherwise we eat quick meals like frozen pizzas, frozen dinners, etc. Since our "big" meal of the day is at lunch, we grab some healthy snacks if we get hungry later. (yogurt, applesauce, sandwiches, etc.)

Depends on my mood! My 8yo is happy to make sandwiches, oatmeal, or cold cereal for himself and his little brother, and they eat a ton of fruit. I try to prepare "real" meals on the weekends, and usually make eggs and toast every morning.

I always have, but I have morning sickness, and my older two can pour cereal, make PB sandwiches and want to learn to cook. I let them handle breakfast. Sometimes lunch. I don't have a lot of energy right now. I have to let them help where they can and save myself for the things only I can do.

D cooks when he wants to. I'm vegan, and he's not, so if he wants meat, he cooks dinner. He can also throw something together when I'm not up for it.

Good for you, raising helpful, responsible, capable kids. That should be the goal, not always doing everything for them.

The nice thing is that there are many goals and many paths when speaking of children and families.

Breakfast- 1x a week this is a quick pick up. 2 or so days a week breakfast is simple and no cook (cereal, fruit, cheese, toast, leftovers). 1-2 days a week it is oatmeal based. 2-3 days a week I cook pancakes, biscuits, omelets something like that. If someone wants an egg, any day, I will fix it. I usually have some sort of egg. I also keep homemade breakfast sandwiches and burritos in the freezer for grab and go options for my husband.

Lunch is usually sandwiches for the kids, salads and soup for me and leftovers for my husband. Plus fruit and carrots or something like that for the kids. My older son will sometimes make the sandwiches but we eat together.

Dinner- I cook most of the time, but we do have a leftovers day about once a week and my sons cook once a week.

At home nearly all of our meals are at the table. The only exception would be when we eat on the patio or sometimes on Fridays we eat our homemade pizza on the floor of the living room because it's family movie night.

I don't think there is any shame in letting your kids do some of the cooking. Cooking is a skill that people benefit from having. I learned to cook as a child, not an adult.

I don't eat breakfast (I keep trying but it's just not sticking) so I rarely cook it. Dh usually makes breakfast for youngest dd and himself. Oldest usually doesn't eat in the mornings but if she is hungry I make her something while she's getting ready.

I don't do anything for lunches, either. Youngest, 12, packs her own lunch for school and oldest, 14, can do the same but if she's hungry at lunch she will just buy it at school. Dh packs his lunch for work as well.

I am the only one that cooks dinner, though. Dds sometimes help but they are usually doing homework so I don't ask and dh is usually on his way home from work while I'm cooking. If I don't cook, we eat out or order something.

Weekdays I plan and prepare dinners. Breakfast is pretty much on your own except for my youngest--dh fixes him the same huge breakfast everyday. I might make muffins on Sunday night that the older two grab in the morning for a few days. Very occasionally, I will make hot cereal.

Lunch. Everyone has a packed lunch. Youngest again gets way too much food courtesy dh. dd will take a sandwich or tamale. Sometimes I will make a rice salad or something specifically for her to pack in her lunch. Oldest is expected to put together his own lunch (he is 19).

To clarify on youngest, he has down syndrome and is 13. Dh likes everything to be extra nice for him. This is something that carries beyond the making of breakfast and lunch. Mostly that is a good thing, but ds is overweight, so I am working on dh to not overfeed ds. Part of it is ds really enjoys eating and dh likes to accommodate that.

Anyway, I don't think the OP should feel guilty. Self sufficiency is a good thing.

I cook breakfast every morning for myself and dh.  I would also cook for my kids but they'd rather sleep a little later so they do their own breakfast.  NOW given a choice I WOULD NOT cook first thing in the morning.  But I am diabetic and control my diabetes with diet and exercise so I must eat within about one hour of waking.  I cook eggs and either sausage or bacon every morning of the week.

I eat a salad most every day for lunch.  If dh is home I cook our main meal for the day at noon and the family eats together.  If he is working off the farm the kids are on their own, I eat my salad and I pack dh a lunch.

If we ate our biggest meal at noon we have leftovers or salad in the evening.  Otherwise I cook.  I have no choice in the matter due to the diabetes.  We rarely eat out.  Maybe 4 times a year.  I live in an extremely rural location and there are no places where I can eat out unless we drive an hour or more.

Salads always contain hard boiled eggs, cooked meat (chicken, pork roast, hamburger) that I cooked. Always homemade oil & vinegar or homemade ranch.  

I would not choose to have to make every bite we eat and sometimes I am very bitter about it but I have no choice if I want to stay healthy.

I make breakfast because I enjoy cooking breakfast. Actually, dh helps by scrambling eggs and setting the table, and it's (usually) a nice way to start the day together. (Unless I am mad at him, which makes eeeeeeevvvverything he does annnnoooooyyyyyying, even the way he scrambles the eggs. :lol: )

Dh and I alternate dinner duty, three nights each plus Saturday leftovers or pizza night. Actually, ds13 is starting to take responsibility for one dinner a week too. I enjoy cooking dinner once in a while, but these people in my house seem to think they need to eat every night so it's more of a chore for me. Sheesh.

But I detest making lunches. I don't particularly like eating lunch, either. The kids fix their own lunches, and I read to them when they've all got their plates to the table.

Do what works best for you! It's a good thing for the kids to know their way around the kitchen. :)

Cat

In general, we try and model a "do what needs to be done" household. Meaning that if you are up and hungry and want breakfast, you can go ahead and get a bagel or cereal or yogurt or fruit or whatever you want. If I feel like having eggs, I would ask who else wants some and make them for whoever. The kids know that if they are making something for themselves it's nice to ask if anyone else wants something. Dh likes to bake and often bakes for breakfast. For lunch, I often make lunch for the kids. But some days if I'm busy I'll ask the boys to make it. Or I'll ask everyone to help. Dinner is more often me, although dh is a better cook. I'm just usually the one home when dinner needs to be made. 

No. I don't make everything and don't feel guilty at all. Everyone gets their own breakfast or chooses not to eat breakfast on their own during the week. DH usually makes the kids something on the weekends for breakfast because he likes to do it. My kids mostly take turns making lunch for each other. DH and I make dinners. I usually make it but he will sometimes. I usually make it because I prefer to stay home and do that rather than take the kids to their evening activities. 

This makes me feel much better! Thanks for the replies. I'll just let go of that guilt now and try to do something a little more once or twice a week. Maybe as part of a home ec type thing. :) I do cook dinner 6-7 nights a week. Dh and I just put together 20 freezer meals for the crockpot over the weekend, for nights we have something going on.

I only fix supper for my family. Unless it is a special occasion, my kids fix their own breakfast and lunch. They all started around the age of four. They don't use sharp knives or the stove at that age, of course, lol, but they learn how as they grow older. My 10 and 12yo can do pretty much anything in the kitchen...they both know how to safely cut with a sharp knife, cook on the stove, put stuff in and take stuff out of the oven, and use the mixer. They are both skilled enough that they sometimes cook supper for the family.

ETA: No, I don't feel guilty about it. I think these are age-appropriate skills, and my goal is to have my kids proficient in most housekeeping/homemaking/whatever-you-want-to-call-it skills by the age of twelve. This includes cleaning, cooking/baking, laundry, basic sewing, and yard/lawn care. My daughters and my son are all expected to learn the same skills. My husband learned none of them (except for lawn care) when he was growing up, and he feels that it really hindered him when he became an adult. Turns out he loves to cook, and he cooks supper at least as often as I do...and he is definitely the better cook!