Menu

Do you still have your wedding dress?

fraidycat

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, although while doing the 52-week decluttering thing this year, I've been debating whether to do something with it. The box takes up quite a bit of room in my closet. The dress is winter wedding style, so passing it down to a daughter might/might not work. We're years away from that anyway. My mom suggested maybe making it into keepsake items to give to my children. She has a pattern for heart-shaped Christmas tree ornaments made of velvet with pretty embellishments. Since the dress is white velvet, that could work. Picturing myself cutting it up though, I'm back-and-forth about it.

Erica in OR

Yup. It's a red Fendi dress, and I still love it. (I wasn't into the whole traditional gown thing!)

I haven't worn it in years and years, but I will probably always keep it.

Hey, mine's also red!

Yep, still have it.  Folded and sealed in plastic somewhere.

Nope, I don't have mine...but I rented mine so I never had it to begin with. Renting my dress allowed me to wear a super-nice dress that I would never have been able to afford. I actually found the one I wanted in a bridal magazine and asked the shop to order it in for me. They agreed because the particular style of dress was one they knew they'd be able to rent again and thus recoup their cost. I am glad not to have it sitting in a box somewhere. Can you tell I don't feel sentimental about it at all? ;) I have no desire to pass it down to my daughter, so I have no regrets.

My mom still has hers!!

PHN

Yes and no. It's actually at my mother's house and I don't fit it. However, it's not a bridal dress. I was married at our local ren faire, so it's a tailor made ren dress for upper middle class wear. As dresses for weddings at the time was the best garment you had, we went for that. It's a kind of bluish-hunter green wool with matching doublet and a tan embroidered foreskirt.

Nope. My actual wedding dress was very cheap, it got very lightly damaged by the dry cleaners (they sort of ruined the finish of the fabric) after we got married abroad and I gave it away to someone so it got used at at least 2 weddings.. Then we had a sort of blessing thing with our family and I borrowed an extremely expensive dress from a friend who ran a very posh shop. So I never owned that one.

Yes, and I really have no idea why.  Probably because it is just a regular dress, and is in a big bundle in my closet with other dresses that are kind of timeless styles.   If it were big or took up much room in a box, it would have been gone a long time ago.  My cake topper and small bouquet (it was fake flowers but seriously looked real) have been in the dress up box for years. 

Yes.  Had my mom take it to have it professionally cleaned and boxed right after the wedding, while we were on our honeymoon.  I have no idea how it's held up, I've never opened the box.  I really don't know why I keep it, but if one of the boys marries a very short size 6 she can have it if she wants.

Nope. I rented mine. I'm a super practical person and I just couldn't justify that cost for a dress I was only going to wear once. But now that I'm getting old and becoming more sentimental, I kinda wish I did have it. I would love to have my grandmother's wedding dress, and now it's pretty much guaranteed that none of my grandchildren (or even children) will ever see mine. :(