Menu

How much would this cost by you? Home question

Whereneverever

I know it varies wildly by area and I'm curious. :)

A 4 bed, 3 bath home, just over 3000 sq ft, ranch with finished basement. Nice finishes- solid surface counters, hardwood floors, ect.

It's on just over 10 acres. Fencing is done for pasture on 8 acres. Gravel driveway in good condition, new well and septic. Stone exterior on home.

Here in my part of Wyoming it's around $300,000. What would it be by you?

Edited to add, it has beautiful views of the mountains. Beautiful.

Alright I did a quick search on realtor and came up with a 4 bedroom/3 bathroom, roughly 3000 sq ft including the finished basement on 5 1/2 acres of land for $150k. Actually most of the houses that have 4/3, regardless of size of the home, with 3-5 acres are between $150k-$200k. The house with the most acreage is a 5/5, 4700 sq ft on almost 20 acres of land is $430k.

Around here it varies depending where u are but there is a 13 acre piece for sell for 85000 and then add the house on top of that so probably near 300,000 for a nicer house around here.

For something like that up here it would easily be a million.

I just looked around Edmonton quickly and any acreages within an hour of the city that I can find are less square footage and half the land space and still at least a million. If I go down Calgary direction it's gets into the 3-4 million for a house the size you stated and at least 10 acres.

Well, I had to take out the 3 bathroom option and didn't see a finished basement search option.

For 10 - 11 acres, 4+ bedrooms, 3000+ square feet the nearest homes in my area are a million plus. I looked at the listing for the closest home and it does have a finished basement :) but is 7000 sf so a "little" bigger than what you specified, $1.6 million. It looks like a nice house from the pictures! Around here people tend to want really big houses if they have a really big lot.

SW Nebraska.

There'd be an asking price of $150,000 on it no doubt, but it'd go for less than $100,000.

If it's close to one of the big towns, you might get closer to that $150...

SE Nebraska here! (Hey from the other side of the state!!!) because of our proximity to a well-paying employer, a house like that would be listed around $350,000, but no one in their right mind would pay that much! We paid around $200,000 for our 4(+) bedroom, 2 bath, somewhat finished creepy basement, 3,500sqft circa 1910s authentic farmhouse on 8.25 acres. This was at the start of the housing collapse. For anyone to sell a home for over $300,000 here, the house would basically have to clean itself.

Ranches go for a premium here and are rare. Most homes are two-story. So it is possible that the house would go for that on its own if it is really nice. And the land? Land is at a premium!!! So we are probably talking $1 mill. They put houses on tiny lots around here!!!

*Just edited....I put the wrong numbers down!

In my exact area its listed as about $280-300,000. But its not your exact house (no basements, those are rare here) so I'm thinking with basement and a bit more spiffyness, around $400-450,000 just because of the rarity of a basement lol (well a little extra added in because even though the house had floorboards, it wasn't as nice as what yours probably is. this one was quite basic apart from floors, so minus basement, I'm thinking about 375 realistically, but in the current market, you would probably be brought down to about $330k.). Seriously, I don't think developers understand the thought of adding in basements.

I understand why in our particular area why basements aren't added though. We are in prime farmland. Meaning prime squishy dirt. Anyone who has a house on a cement slab is going to be in trouble in a couple of years after their house sinks and they can't do anything. Stilt things (omg, my brain has frozen enough, I've forgotten what they are called), the logs under the house...stumps! Man, I think I drank to much caffeine and guarana, my thoughts are flying off into la-la land. Anyway, stumps are the only option round here (therefore, realistically, my dream should be adjustable metal stumps we can adjust ourselves as time goes by).

I dream of a home with a basement and separate shelter, plus cellar/food storage. I have no idea why basements are rare out here, but we also don't have large houses (our house is compact even with the averages, but was a farmer settlement, meant just for husband & wife, the add-ons were obviously hastily added with no thought to the design and the compact space of the original settlement.).

In my city a nice ~1500sqft house (3bd, 2ba, no basement) on a corner lot (though not a big one) goes for over a million, and that was 2 years ago and housing prices have been rising. Just to get the land for the OP's house would cost millions. If you move farther out, the prices get better, but I'm guessing that to still live in the general area in that house the cost is well into the millions.

Hilarious comparisons, though!

:)

It would cost more money than I could ever dream of having here.

I'm amazed how little it would cost some places!

I'm with you. Can't even imagine the price. Definitely over 1million and heading towards 2.

Ruth in NZ

I live in southern MD. I couldn't find with those exact specs. Land is at a premium here. Cost for similar specs runs $500-800K.

We just bought a house in San Antonio TX for just under $240K. 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, 3100 square feet, gated community. No basement. Our house sits on about 2" of dirt and then solid rock so no one has basements. And definitely a very small bit of land. We're inside the city limits after all (barely). In some parts of TX you can get your specs pretty cheap. Land is expensive in MD where there isn't a whole lot of it and much cheaper in parts of TX where there's a whole lot more of it.

Well, no houses have basements on this island, or 10 acres for that matter. The land alone would cost $10 million USD on the inner part of the island and about $60 million if it was ocean front.

Imagine that same house, but no basement and no land at all, just a driveway for your car... Here that would cost about $500,000 USD.

Between $400,00 and $500,000 depending on the area.

We live on the outskirts of a medium city in the midatlantic region. Which school district/municipality the house landed in could change the price +/- $50,000.

Around here it would be at least about $400,000. I couldn't find anything comparable but a house like that with only 1-2 acres would go for over $300,000. The extra land would send the price up considerably. The property would only be about $300,000-$350,000 in a small town about an hour from us but everything is cheaper there.

I think Nebraska is starting to sound like a pretty nice place!

It would cost more money than I could ever dream of having here.

I'm amazed how little it would cost some places!

Ditto. Because I'm in the city, such a thing doesn't even exist. But just outside, it would be very expensive.

Well, down here in Texas I'm not sure it would sell at all - it is that basement. I have not seen a house with a basement in this area, and if there were one, I'm sure it would be flooded all the time and you would have to advertise it as an indoor swimming pool.

But, remove that basement, and based on prices around here and depending upon the land it would be anywhere from $200-$500K. If you want to live in the country in Texas, you generally want at least 20 acres so you can set it up as a tree farm (great tax deduction but you do have to plant a bunch of trees - usually pine) or for cattle (and you must have a minimum number). Property taxes are high in TX (but we have no state income tax), so you want to do everything you can to get those taxes down.

Depends on the finishes of the finishes. ;) A "flipped" house is different than a craftsman custom... Is the basement included in 3,000 sq ft? That alone could range from $350-700k. But most are on a .5ish acre lot. I don't know how you'd get 8-10 acres right around me unless you bought 16 houses and tore 15 down! :)

I think our prices are similar to your prices. The land alone would be $100,000 or possibly more depending on how desirable the area and how close to services (small town, etc.). The house would be anywhere from $150,000-$250,000. So putting the house on the land, I think it would be around $300,000.

The only area nearby where ten acres would be available is also the most expensive neighborhood. It would be nearly or perhaps over a million. closer to my neighborhood the house without the land would be probably three-fifty.

10 acres near me wouldn’t exist. A similar sounding house in a new development across the street is selling for 1.3 million and is on a very small lot (maybe 1/4 acre?). (Our house is in a much more modest and older neighborhood.)

Out of curiosity I looked further out in NOVa, in Loudon County and beyond. That would be at least an hour from DC. It looks like similar houses there were selling for about 600-750K, and on more land. I couldn’t tell exactly and I’m guessing 10 acres would put it int over 1 million.

I love hearing how drastically different housing prices are around the country!

There is a lot here on the island that is less than an acre (not even waterfront) that has an asking price of 2.5M just for the empty lot.

For something on the water with that kind of acreage, you'd easily be in the 10+M category. Although most people who have that sized property around here would most likely be building homes that are over 3,000 sf.