Menu

Would you donate one of your kidneys to your sibling?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming everything's on the up and up (I don't have some condition that raises my risk on death etc), then yes.

Sorry for the caveat, but half the time I feel like simple questions like these have a bunch of other information swinging in the air, just waiting for a simple answer :lol:

Now, if we had to go to a third world country and there would be no anthestesia or sterlization, it would take much more consideration on my part :p

Yes. ... But likely there would be other considerations too. Is the reason for needing a transplant something genetic that might later effect one of my children? What is my current health and would the surgery endanger me? If I were planning more children, would that be effected?

But my gut reaction is "yes".

Sure. Though, unfortunately, my first response was "Depends on which one."

That's my response, even after I took a step back from my gut reaction. There are 3 brothers who I would absolutely, unequivocally say yes to.

The fourth brother.... Well, he's 23 and has cirrhosis of the liver. I don't think he'd take care of an organ well enough to justify the risk to me (and by extension my children, which is really the bigger issue) in giving him a kidney.

Kidney, or sibling?

I would hope I could do it, and I'd want to do it. I'm extremely close with and appreciative of my siblings, and I feel pretty certain they'd do it for me.

Sibling.

I hate that this was my first thought. Of course I would do anything for my sisters. Unfortunately one sister seems he!!-bent on ruining her life. I just don't know if I could risk the health of my children's mother for someone who just does not care. I know it sounds terrible and incredibly selfish, but there it is.

Sibling.

I hate that this was my first thought. Of course I would do anything for my sisters. Unfortunately one sister seems he!!-bent on ruining her life. I just don't know if I could risk the health of my children's mother for someone who just does not care. I know it sounds terrible and incredibly selfish, but there it is.

It's reasonable and understandable that your first thoughts would go to your children before that of your sibling; I like to think I'd do it for any of my siblings, but -like you- there are those siblings that would require me to really think the decision through. I see nothing wrong with trying to guage an overall "return on investment" for the people we love. All of them.

Here's an interesting blog post by a colleague of mine. It's long, but a worthwhile skim. He was denied a spot on the transplant list due to a pre-existing condition that left the medical field questioning the ROI they'd see on a transplant. Very different specifics, but the same general concerns you, I, and obviously others would and do have.

I just don't know if I could risk the health of my children's mother for someone who just does not care. I know it sounds terrible and incredibly selfish, but there it is.

No it doesn't. Kidneys don't grow on trees.

Yes, I'd donate to either of my siblings, but with the understanding that if I die of kidney failure myself later on because I don't have a back up, they have to chip in time and money to get my kids through their education!

Rosie

No it doesn't. Kidneys don't grow on trees.

Yes, I'd donate to either of my siblings, but with the understanding that if I die of kidney failure myself later on because I don't have a back up, they have to chip in time and money to get my kids through their education!

Rosie

This stipulation is another reason one of my brothers wouldn't even get consideration if he asked that of me. I would feel bad about dismissing his needs, but there's no way he'd be able to care for my children if I were out of the picture. He's my oldest sibling, and the one I would trust least to make any important decisions.

No, and it's not because I don't love my siblings.

Surgery is a major risk, and I'm a mother of children who need me. I also have kidney cancer in the family (2 relatives).

I don't think anyone should ever expect it of another human being, and I don't think anyone should ever feel guilty about saying no.

If I were the only compatible donor I would certainly offer to do it. But if there were a good chance of getting another donor, I would wait and see, as it would be so terrible to end up with one of my children needing a kidney and me not having a spare, not to mention my husband (who has kidney problems already, although I don't know whether we are compatible).

No. None of my siblings look after their bodies so I"m not giving them one of my kidneys so they can ruin it (as in drugs, smoking and heavy alchohol)

Secondly - I'm keeping my kidneys in case one of my kids needed it.

Although if it was my mum who needed it I probably would - because I know she would look after it ;)

Actually I would probably consider it for my sister if I was her last chance. She hasn't ruined her body with anything self inflicted and she has a baby boy that I would want to keep his mama.

Edited by sewingmama

Yes. In fact, I want to give one of my kidneys to my ex husband right now, as he is in kidney failure, and I am the only person so far that has the right blood type. But I can't/won't because he has a genetic problem that my son my have inherited, and there is no way to know yet. So I have to save my kidney for him. But if there wasn't that genetic componenent to it, or if I knew my son didn't have the same illness, I would for sure. I've researched the surgery a lot, and it is not as risky/awful as I first thought.

Edited by ktgrok