Menu

Which person(s) in your home pay for homeschooling?

A thread on the K-8 forum has me thinking about this subject. Some responses to the question, "How much does husband help with homeschooling?":

"My dh doesn't help homeschool except to pay for curriculum."

"My husband...lets me get whatever I need."

"My husband works full time and really has no involvement with the homeschooling, other than footing the bill."

In no way, shape, or form can I identify with the notion (as I read it in the comments above) that the spouse who technically earns the salary is the one paying for curriculum (or anything else). It's our money. We both pay for homeschooling. I'm always brought up short when I realize that even now, some women apparently think in terms of the man having primary ownership of the money. I suppose in part that's because our business truly is OUR business. But I'd no doubt feel this way even if we didn't own & operate a business. Likewise, if I worked full-time outside the home and my husband stayed at home with the children, it would still be our shared income. What about you?

We are a wholly shared income household. It's always "our" money. My husband does not do as much of the actual teaching, however, it is both of use who "homeschool" our children.

:iagree::iagree:

Although my husband earns most of the money, I have a small income from consignment sales and am a canoe instructor/life guard for girl scouts on weekends in the fall and spring. it all goes into one pot.

robin in NJ

Umm... yeah. I'm with you on that, Colleen. I earn money, too. Even without the off-farm work, I still earn money, too. It's all OUR money. The idea of labeling money as mine and/or his, and the idea of assigning purchases to one person's money is odd and undesirable to me.

It is all our money. We have joint checking and various joint savings and investment accounts. We have individual retirement accounts and we each have a personal checking account for our own little stuff (and so we can buy each other gifts privately, lol.) This was true when I was the only income earner (when he was in school for a bit), when he was the only income earner (when I quit my job to care for my dying mother and newborn son) and when we both have worked (most of the time, including now.)

It's our shared income, but my husband's name is on the paycheck. I pay the bills and spend the money, but I appreciate that my dh is the one who brings home the bacon, and he appreciates that I am the one who does all the homeschooling. When it comes to paying for actual curriculum, we use a charter school that pays for most of it, and we (I don't do his money/my money, it's all ours) pay for the rest.

We always have considered all household income our money. A few times my husband has received bonuses that he calls "his". That irritates me because so much of my income comes from gratuity and I consider it household income, but it isn't a big deal because it doesn't happen often. And he wouldn't be annoyed to give me the same amount of money to spend on something frivolous if I wanted. We do give ourselves allowence money that is spent at our own discretion because we spend money too differently to agree on small expenses.

The fact that dh refers to "our money" irritates my step dd who doesn't like that her father considers his income to belong to me also, which is amusing because she is old enough to remember me putting him through college. Our two younger kids consider dh and I to jointly hold our "wealth" lol. If dh wanted to consider things his other than a few small bonuses we wouldn't have much of a marraige in my opinion.

It's ours. We plan major purchases together, have a budget we both worked out together and agree on for the other things.

ETA: DH always points out that his earning potential would be less if I weren't doing all I do at home, it enables him to devote more time to work, or specialize more, than he might be able to if he also had to school the kids and cook and so on. We are a team.

Edited by Annie Laurie

I feel the same. Even though it's my husband's name on the paycheck, it's our money.

That said, his job provides the income we use to pay for, among other things, our curriculum. Working to bring in the income is his only contribution to homeschooling outside listening to a memory verse or explaining a math concept to a stuck kiddo on occasion. I couldn't do my job if it weren't for his willingness to work hard for that paycheck. I appreciate that and we consider it his contribution to our family lifestyle which includes homeschooling. But I see it more as division of labor than division of money. And I expect that most who post that the husband pays for everything mean the same: His labor provides the means to buy the materials. (At least that's how I always read variations on that particular sentiment when I see it.)

Cat

My husband is the only one that brings in income to our family. It's absolutely "our" money. We have one joint checking account, and I have an account (at the same bank, attached to the larger account) that only has my name on it (simply because DH has been too lazy to go to the bank and attach his name!) and we transfer xxx twice a month.

This money is for groceries, gas in my van, any clothing or other items the boys or I may need, anytime the boys and I eat out while DH is out of town, etc....

It just works this way for us. It helps me budget my discretionary funds more easily and it helps him keep tabs on the main budget when he knows two big chunks are coming out on set dates, rather than seeing small purchases pop up here and there and every where.

So, having said all of this, we do make the joke of "my" money and "his" money. Even though it all comes from the same pot.

I feel the same. Even though it's my husband's name on the paycheck, it's our money.

That said, his job provides the income we use to pay for, among other things, our curriculum. Working to bring in the income is his only contribution to homeschooling outside listening to a memory verse or explaining a math concept to a stuck kiddo on occasion. I couldn't do my job if it weren't for his willingness to work hard for that paycheck. I appreciate that and we consider it his contribution to our family lifestyle which includes homeschooling. But I see it more as division of labor than division of money. And I expect that most who post that the husband pays for everything mean the same: His labor provides the means to buy the materials. (At least that's how I always read variations on that particular sentiment when I see it.)

Cat

:iagree:

That is what I usually think as well...

It's ours. It was a conscious decision early in our marriage to change our language to reflect that. I hated feeling so dependent early on when we decided it made more financial sense for me to stay home so we began to say things like, "When we get paid, let's X first and then Y." We are in the business of running a family and his part happens to be putting on a suit and walking out the door each day. He wouldn't be as successful without my help, guidance, financial sense, research skills and ability to read people. We compliment each other nicely and our lives are enriched for it.

Barb

Hmmm. I don't earn money, as I'm here raising the kids, but I certainly spend the most! He really has no idea what I spend, as I do the budget for the household. We discuss larger purchases together (or at least warn each other!), but our finances are combined.

That said, I could see myself saying that he's footing the bill for the homeschooling supplies (even though his paycheque is deposited into our joint account... we have no finances seperate), because he's the one actually earning the money.

My dh hates it when someone says I don't work. He just doesn't see it that way and has always viewed the income he makes at his job as our money. I actually do all of our budgeting to include what he calls his "allowance". :tongue_smilie: Dh does help with school. He does music, extra math, philosophy and religion. We don't view his income as him helping with schooling.

I'm the wage earner, and I think of it as "my money" because I pay bills, invest, make all monetary decisions above the groceries. I have accounts I am slowly stuffing for hubby's retirement fund, and I think of that as "his" money. Hubby will be first to admit he is not great in figures or dealing with money, and is delighted to not have to think any further on the matter. In his previous marriage, he handed all his earnings over, and his ex managed it all. If he needed to buy something, he'd ask her. But they had so little, there really needed to be a death grip on the purse-strings.

My ex-husband, although he earned more money than me, felt the same way about just handing it over. However, we were more partners, and I thought of it as "our" money.

My parents had separate accounts for the whole time I knew them. Right around the time I was born, my mother's mother left her some money, so my mother had an interest "income" of her own. She paid groceries, Papa paid utilities. I think they both pitched in on vacations. I believe they moved into a joint account when my father was ancient, as he didn't want to pay for a will, and thinking (correctly) he would die before his wife, he put everything in her name. That way, they avoided probate, and only had to pay for one will (my mother's). Penny pinchers to the end. :D

As long as people are fair and kind, who cares?

Well, this sounds bad but it is what it is. I do not bring in any income at all but we do say 'our' money. DH never says 'his' money. However, I cannot make a big purchase without asking first. If he doesn't feel it's justified, he says no. Sometimes I can justify a purchase, but sometimes not. For example, I would love an itouch. I have an ipod and it works fine, but it is an older model. DH won't let me buy it because it's $200 that we just don't need to spend. Back when I had a job making my own salary, I wouldn't have hesitated to make this purchase. We all get an allowance from his paychecks, including him. I can use that on whatever I want but if I want to spend something outside of my wallet, I talk to him about it. Less than $50 isn't a big deal. I used to go to B&N and buy books a few times a week. But an itouch or a new laptop would cause an argument if I didn't ask first. That kind of p&sses me off, but he's not a bad guy. He's not stingy. I'm not wanting for anything really. But yes, I do feel like he has ultimate control of the money.

I don't bring any income in but it is definitely "our" money. However, I think it's important to recognize that DH's efforts make our homeschooling lifestyle possible. So I don't mind people saying that the husband pays for things.

The real issue is who controls the money. Ultimately I can do what I want since we have a joint account but out of respect we always talk things through so we have the same financial game plan. Also, sometimes I need him to talk me out of purchasing things that I don't need (I do the same for him). It's not really a case of "He won't let me" and more of a situation where he's helping me achieve my own goals by providing some measure of accountability.

Edited by sgo95
clarifying

We are a wholly shared income household. It's always "our" money.

Well, this sounds bad but it is what it is. I do not bring in any income at all but we do say 'our' money. DH never says 'his' money. However, I cannot make a big purchase without asking first. If he doesn't feel it's justified, he says no. Sometimes I can justify a purchase, but sometimes not. For example, I would love an itouch. I have an ipod and it works fine, but it is an older model. DH won't let me buy it because it's $200 that we just don't need to spend. Back when I had a job making my own salary, I wouldn't have hesitated to make this purchase. We all get an allowance from his paychecks, including him. I can use that on whatever I want but if I want to spend something outside of my wallet, I talk to him about it. Less than $50 isn't a big deal. I used to go to B&N and buy books a few times a week. But an itouch or a new laptop would cause an argument if I didn't ask first. That kind of p&sses me off, but he's not a bad guy. He's not stingy. I'm not wanting for anything really. But yes, I do feel like he has ultimate control of the money.

We are the same, but it goes both ways, neither of us would spend money outside of our allowances and day to day expenses without discussing it with the other.

Edited by keptwoman

I've been married with the "our" money.

I've been divorced with only "my" money.

I'm now a domestic partner who consults on specific matters of "his" money.

So I guess I've done a bunch of different things.

The most comfortable I've ever been (mentally speaking) was when it was divorced then single and only "my" money.

For now, briefly, I visit this place in my life. I don't know what the grand finale' will be.

I probably have a few more stages to go.

We have a pretty traditional arrangement in that he earns the money and I am the stay-at-home mom (and used to be homeschooler). It is our money though and always has been even when I worked and he was the stay at home parent. We have seperate accounts for managing our seperate spheres but we decided together how to allot the money to those accounts and who needs to pay what and who needs to buy what and we decide together on anything over about $100 or so. As far as who pays for schooling, he pays with his paid labor and I pay with my unpaid labor and now that we have teens in college, they are paying with their paid labor as well.

It is "our" money. And DH certainly treats it that way.

I might say something like that as a flippant reply in the thread mentioned. Perhaps as an exaggeration to the fact that I just tell him how much we need to spend and that's as far as he has time to participate. But it wouldn't mean that it is only his money.

Cat

I am one who would have made the comment that I do the schooling and he foots the bill. It is a division of labor. I am doing the work in our homeschool, he is bringing in the money that pays for it. Once it comes in, it is ours. Well, maybe mostly mine if spending shows ownership...:D I think you took the comment to mean something totally different than was intended.

I am one who would have made the comment that I do the schooling and he foots the bill. It is a division of labor. I am doing the work in our homeschool, he is bringing in the money that pays for it. Once it comes in, it is ours. Well, maybe mostly mine if spending shows ownership...:D I think you took the comment to mean something totally different than was intended.

I would have made the same comment for the exact same reasons.

Cat

:iagree:Colleen, your question sort of stumped me. "What does she mean?"

We are married. We pay for curriculum. We homeschool.

My dh is the only one actually earning money in our home but it is still viewed as our money, not his & mine. His job is to work outside the home, my job is to work at home hs'ing our boys. His job pays, mine, not so much ;) but the funds that come in are our funds to run our household.

We spend that money on groceries, hs'ing materials, entertainment, etc. Together.

Although I'll admit that if you asked me "who buys hs curriculum at your house" I'd answer "I do." but if you asked me "who pays for the materials" I'd answer "my husband." Just for me a matter of semantics and falling into my overly literal interpretation of things. Even though we have and operate on a shared money principle, not a his money/her money principle.

We have always considered money to be our money. Even when we earned about the same or I earned a little more. Even when I had a part time job, that was our money to be used for our benefit.

At the same time, I haven't earned an income in many years. And while I think I am very supportive of him, his job is incredibly demanding of both time and energy. I might say the sort of thing that was in the op, not to indicate that it is His money, but to indicate that dh's long hard hours are what have given us the option to have me homeschooling instead of working.

Dh once heard guys in his office comparing the cost of daycare and pointed out that we'd given up a full income so I could be with the kids. Not bitterly, but knowing the cost of the choice.

A thread on the K-8 forum has me thinking about this subject. Some responses to the question, "How much does husband help with homeschooling?":

"My husband works full time and really has no involvement with the homeschooling, other than footing the bill."

In no way, shape, or form can I identify with the notion (as I read it in the comments above) that the spouse who technically earns the salary is the one paying for curriculum (or anything else). It's our money. We both pay for homeschooling. I'm always brought up short when I realize that even now, some women apparently think in terms of the man having primary ownership of the money. I suppose in part that's because our business truly is OUR business. But I'd no doubt feel this way even if we didn't own & operate a business. Likewise, if I worked full-time outside the home and my husband stayed at home with the children, it would still be our shared income. What about you?

We both work part-time. All money earned goes into one account and is our money. I handle the budget and bills and such but we don't do allowances or things like that. We're lucky in that we both have similar spending/saving patterns and values so we don't really argue about money or what we use it on.

Cat

This was how I always read the comments on those kind of threads. My dh stays home part-time and homeschools more directly and we feel very blessed that we are both able to do that. However, we have a lot of friends whose husbands have jobs that just wouldn't allow that kind of flexibility. I know some of those dads have expressed to my dh that they wish they could stay home some with their kids some and for those who homeschool that they could teach more. I think when people account "paying for curriculum" as their husband's contribution to homeschooling it's really just acknowledging that the family works as a team and in some families Dad isn't directly teaching but his job outside the home and salary from that job is still part of what makes homeschooling work.

:iagree::iagree:I worked full time when we got married and stopped when our first dd was born. Since then everything that my husband (or I on a rare occasion) earns is OURS. It has never been differently. But both or our families were the same way. We are one unit and operate like that.

Mary

I really think this is an issue of semantics more than anything. He is the one who earns a paycheck. We are both committed to a lifestyle that includes me staying home with the kids. I also have a high level of volunteerism that helps him in his job. I couldn't do what I do without him and his commitment. He couldn't do what he does without me and my commitment. Yes, it is our money, but he is the one that gets paid.

Sure I can think of it as "our" money in general. But there is no getting around the fact that HE physically earns it and therefore pays for the curriculum etc. I don't mind giving him credit for that. It's an important contribution.

On the flip side, there is no getting around the fact that *I* do all the planning and researching and implementing of homeschooling and if I say that "I homeschool my kids," I would arch a brow if someone said what you just said only reversed it to: "In no way shape or form can I identify with the notion that the spouse who actually does the teaching is the one homeschooling. It's our children. We both homeschool them." No- I homeschool them. He earns the money. ;)

ETA: Or...I can just agree with Mrs. Mungo. Semantics! Yes, WE have family income. Yes, WE are a homeschooling family. But WE do have individual roles to play and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them, especially in a thread ABOUT those particular roles. If it were just a random conversation about something purchased or that our kids stay home from public school, I'd say: "We bought the kids X," "We homeschool our kids...."

Edited by NanceXToo

we share our income. Always have and it boggles my mind to meet couples married for 10+ years with separate banking accounts who 'split' the utilities/mortgage and such. Each has their own money and they don't share with each other. Heck, my dad remarried and he and his wife would take turns paying for the vacation. WEIRD.

it's our money. He works outside the home. I manage the bills and homeschool and such. But it's our money. Even when dating we had a shared checking account. I worked a lot in college and paid for things, but after college he made more money but it was always both our money.

:iagree: Colleen. When we were both wage earners, we split most of the household tasks. Then when we had a child we made a choice that one of us would continue to work and earn money for the family while the other would stay home and run the house for the family. Our decision to homeschool was mutual and extended the duties I chose to take on for the family. Dh is the one who earns our money. I'm the one who homeschools our son and takes care of our house. Our money. Our house. Our son. Not his or mine (though I've been known to demand certain behavior in my kitchen lol).

I agree with you. This is not the financial dynamic in my home, where my husband calls money he has earned for our family "his." Additionally, I do spend money I earn on homeschooling and other items for my kids.

Well, if DH didn't have the full-time job, it would be very, very difficult to homeschool, because my part-time income wouldn't give me the stability to pay the other bills as well as the flexibility to easily homeschool a fairly young child. I know several women who are single parents and homeschool, and I have a MUCH easier time than they do because DH is providing 90% of the family income.

we both work, but my husband brings home the bacon (i fry it up in a pan). it isn't "his" money, but i'm a stay-at-home mom and he works out of the house. my husband has no idea what i spend or what i buy on curriculum. we have the no-ask no-tell policy, lol. seriously though. he doesn't care. he trust me totally and loves that we homeschool.

as for teaching, he gives my daughter guitar lessons on fridays, & he helps with my son that day as well (we conquer and divide so we can get done quickly and have family day). otherwise, he has no real idea what's going on (and even the days he helps, i have to walk him through what to do step-by-step). we have different contributions in homeschooling, but the goal is the same:)

It absolutely is "our" $. And if asked about our purschases, I usually say, "we". Same way I say "we" are building our front porch, even though I primarily tore it down and DH is primarily building it. However, in a thread that asks specifically what DH's role is, I would say that he pays for it. He has very little day-to-day involvement. But he does work hard for the $. When speaking of roles, that is his.

I really think this is an issue of semantics more than anything. He is the one who earns a paycheck. We are both committed to a lifestyle that includes me staying home with the kids. I also have a high level of volunteerism that helps him in his job. I couldn't do what I do without him and his commitment. He couldn't do what he does without me and my commitment. Yes, it is our money, but he is the one that gets paid.

:iagree: If I were to say the way dh helps with the homeschooling is by footing the bill, what I would mean is that part of his contribution to this lifestyle is currently he's the one earning money, without which we couldn't do it. Let's be realistic here.

I wouldn't say he "lets" me buy things though. We are a shared income household so that language does make me bristle. But it's still sort of semantics. I clear big purchases with him... but he also clears purchases with me.

All money is joint and OURS.

But I always joke with DH that what is his is mine and what is mine is mine! :lol: Before you read too much into that, it is indeed a JOKE.

The truth is, when we married, I made more than he did. He went to grad school while I paid the bills for 2 years before we had kids.

I still have a career I could go back to and earn $$. I can no longer make what he makes, but I can/could survive on it.

It was a JOINT decision for me to stay home (in fact, it was his more than mine, I planned to work until retirement and he was the one who wished I would stay home after kids.)

Part of that was knowing we had to go down to one income. It is one reason we moved out of Southern California to North Carolina, so that we could have a larger home and larger piece of property and go down to one income.

All that to say, it is OUR money....we discuss any major purchases, but we also follow Crown Financial and are on the same page financially.

I do run curriculum purchases by DH if they are large (over several hundred) but he has never batted an eye....his response is, "If you need it, get it." Sometimes I think he is really saying, "Stop bothering me about this, you are the teacher!" :lol:

Curriculum is a line item in our YNAB budget. I am actually considering upping it as my oldest will be high school next year. We will need more $$.

Dawn