Menu

Has anyone actually ever had anchovies on pizza?

saraha

My husband gets it on occasion.  

He also gets tinned sardines and things like that, on occasion.  

I didn’t grow up eating things like this, though, and I haven’t done more than try them.  

My husband will try all the tinned seafood at the store, and there are some he likes to keep around for a snack.  

Edit:  I do eat canned tuna and salmon, here they come in tin cans, and I call them “canned seafood.”  Tinned seafood to me comes in a rectangle shape and has a top that peels off.  

He also likes mustard sauce the best a lot of the time, for tinned seafood.

He eats it plain or on toast, and likes it, so he does like it on pizza!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Sure. It's a normal pizza topping in my world.

Also tried sardines on pizza, because dd was inspired by that Little Golden Book of the bear stealing Donald Duck's pizza and, well, I only hope I'm not visiting the day my future grandkids feel the need to discover for themselves.

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Sure. It's a normal pizza topping in my world.

Also tried sardines on pizza, because dd was inspired by that Little Golden Book of the bear stealing Donald Duck's pizza and, well, I only hope I'm not visiting the day my future grandkids feel the need to discover for themselves.

We’ve read that book too! Character books were good way back.

• Like 2

Oh yes. All the time. My dad is Italian and it was as standard as the sauce and cheese. Growing up in an area with a lot of Italians we always had them. I am the only other family member that would eat them so we got separate pizzas with and without but all the pizza shops had them. They stink up the whole pizza. You can’t just put them on half. 

We live in the south now and my dad will still occasionally try to order them and sometimes the pizza places have them but often they don’t even stock them. 

I’ve put them on homemade pizzas when I am cooking for my dad. They are gross. I admit that even though I kinda like them depending on my mood. 

My mom hated them and she didn’t want them anywhere near her pizza. Occasionally my dad would be a jerk when they were having a fight and get pizza with anchovies on half because he  knew it would ruin it for her and she wouldn’t eat any of it and she would get so mad and he would claim he didn’t know. Fun times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I once took a summer class, and at the last class, the professor had a pizza party. One pizza had anchovies on it. She said she always did that, and there were never any anchovy leftovers. I thought it was surprisingly good, but know I'd never be able to convince my family to try it. So yes, but only once.

That's the first place I ever had them.  It was back in the 70s.  I was being taken care of by friends of my parents and that is the pizza they got and I loved it.  We never had them at home because my mother hates them.  She even hates thinking about them.

Yes!  They're delicious.  Anchovies are an underappreciated secret ingredient.  They're why puttanesca sauce is so good.  Every recipe with Worcestershire sauce or fish sauce is getting flavor from anchovies. They give a nice hit of salty umami.  I do break them up and spread them around.  2-3 anchovies are plenty for one pizza.  We love them.  You can melt them into the sauce if you want to add depth to the flavor without anyone complaining.  (As long as there are no allergies.)  I was late to the anchovy game but I'm making up for lost time.  Just yesterday I made pasta al tonno where you melt the anchovies into the oil.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Wow, way more people have eaten them than I would have expected!

Why?

I love small cured fishes--I've eaten pickled herring upside down at a market stand in Rotterdam, an entire plate of heads-on, bony sardines for lunch in Portugal, smoked alewives here in Maine, sardines and anchovies on salads, pizza, toasties, small plates with cocktails...yum yum yum 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Wow, way more people have eaten them than I would have expected!

I'm surprised that they are controversial. But then, I grew up eating tinned sardines, etc. - it was cheap and healthy protein, so anchovies have never seemed odd.

I made a tomato sauce with anchovies dissolved into it this evening  - very good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm surprised that they are controversial. But then, I grew up eating tinned sardines, etc. - it was cheap and healthy protein, so anchovies have never seemed odd.

I made a tomato sauce with anchovies dissolved into it this evening  - very good.

I ate them a lot growing up too, maybe that's the difference vs people who don't develop a taste early? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Why?

I love small cured fishes--I've eaten pickled herring upside down at a market stand in Rotterdam, an entire plate of heads-on, bony sardines for lunch in Portugal, smoked alewives here in Maine, sardines and anchovies on salads, pizza, toasties, small plates with cocktails...yum yum yum 🙂 

A conversation with one of my kids sparked a survey of everyone I am in some contact with and No one I know in real life has ever tried anchovies on a pizza. They are not offered at any of our local ish pizza places. That’s why I asked here.

• Like 1

I did not grow up eating fish bodies where you could identify the body parts.  I grew up with fish filets maybe.  

But do I eat shrimp?  Yes.  

But for the tinned fish — I do find it disconcerting, to make out their heads and tails.  And if the head and tail are cut off, but I can tell “this was the head end and this was the tail end” — it is disconcerting to me.  

They also smell a strange way to me.  

Edit:  I can’t think of anyone I’ve seen eat them besides my husband.  

Edit:  I don’t specifically know that this is why my husband eats it, but one of his best friends growing up was Korean and his mom made a lot of seafood dishes.  

Edited by Lecka