Menu

Memory lane….who got a small cedar box at graduation from a local furniture store?

Ottakee

I am doing some deep cleaning today and one thing I am cleaning out is my small cedar box I got at high school graduation from a local furniture store.  I think it was in hopes of getting us to buy a Lane cedar chest.

Anyone else get one?   Still have it?

i graduated late 80s

6C989A2D-AF24-4DCB-91B7-4D05DAFF0E21.jpeg

• Like 3

I did & I still have it. It’s on my nightstand. I use it as a keepsake box, editing it down every ten years or so. 

ETA: If you look carefully you can see my blue & white high school grad tassel! 
image.thumb.png.ed25b15f2382a78ba8ac5be205259466.png

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Likely not doing it as I doubt many high school girls are asking for a cedar Hope chest for a graduation gift anymore.

We are giving Dd a lovely hope chest, made by close friends we go to church with, for graduation. Medium sized, cedar lined. 

Dh had a small cedar lined box. He gave it to Ds, who keeps letters and small keepsakes in it.

• Like 1

I have cedar-box-related trauma. 

For some reason, I really wanted this thing. You had to go pick it up from the store, and my dad was being cranky about getting me there. The sister who graduated two years ahead of me said something to the effect of, you want that stupid thing? You can have mine (tosses dusty box in my direction). 

I didn't want her graduation box, I wanted mine. Yes, I wanted my own completely identical wooden box that had very little utility, lol. 

I have no idea why this was important to me, but it was. It's the story I tried to remember when my kids placed importance on things I didn't understand at all. 

Edited to add: mid 80s. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I am doing some deep cleaning today and one thing I am cleaning out is my small cedar box I got at high school graduation from a local furniture store.  I think it was in hopes of getting us to buy a Lane cedar chest.

Anyone else get one?   Still have it?

i graduated late 80s

6C989A2D-AF24-4DCB-91B7-4D05DAFF0E21.jpeg

I did not get one at graduation (Graduated 1991)

But a friend bought me one a few years ago when we met in Dallas and found it. I keep my bookmarks there and love the smell everytime I open it.

(I hope to find one for my daughter in the next few years since I don't really want to let go of mine)

Edited by vonfirmath

Yes, I have one!  It's one of the few things I've kept from my childhood and still keep out and actually use.  I keep important notes in it. 

ETA:  I checked online to see if the furniture store is still there, but it is not.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

Mine is-it's a regional chain that has been around since 1897. It's not downtown anymore, though, and looks a lot less upscale now than I remember it being as a kid, when it was down by the old, art deco movie theater and the Woolworths (that whole block seriously looked the same in the 1980's as in photos from the 50's except for the cars and clothes)..but now is unrecognizable. 

3 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I have one that was my mother's. I don't know if she got it for graduation. She graduated in 1974.

Ackk! I'm your mother's age! My oldest grandchild is 3, though. Yes, went with my 4 girlfriends to get one.

1989 grad, here. I never had one and didn’t have a Lane hope chest, but I have my grandmother’s cedar chest (still). I definitely remember when that was a thing, though. All the magazines hawked Lane chests too. I was the third daughter in my family and, while I think the idea was that we would all have hope chests, only the eldest got a real one with things in it. 

I do remember some of the silly things I was given to go in my hope chest (the one that was my grandmother’s). I remember one thing was a Tupperware jello mould with interchangeable toppers for different holidays, lol! No kitchen would be complete without a green jello with a Christmas tree figure at the top, lol! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Graduated in 1978. I have one sitting on my bookshelf, but I had forgotten how I got it. I think I used to have my mother's as well, but I don't know what happened to it. My dad made each of us a "hope chest," so I didn't have a bought cedar one. Mine is chock full of photos that need to be sorted and organized, and I'm putting it off. It also serves as an end table between the couch and a chair.

• Like 2

My sister got one at her high school graduation in 1996. I never got one but I went to a boarding school out of the area. I only saw it again after my sister passed away in 2015. She kept jewelry in it and my dad gave most of that to my daughter (who very much resembles my sister).

ETA:  The furniture store has been in that small town FOREVER it seems.  Still there.

Edited by YaelAldrich

Yes!  To be honest, I am not sure where it is. We may very well find it in the attic.  I also got a full size Lane Cedar Chest ( hope chest) for graduation from my parents. I have old prom dresses, costumes, grandfather's naval uniform, wedding dress in it. 

But yes, everyone got those boxes for graduation at my school.  I graduated in 1985.