Menu

What are you giving your husband for Christmas?

Dianthus

We just arrived home from a trip, and this foldable backpack was very helpful for grocery runs and other shopping (we walked everywhere), if anyone needs another idea it’s on sale for $23: https://seatosummit.com/products/ultra-sil-day-pack?variant=39434845323437

I have an LED light kit for DH that integrates with our smart lights. DH likes that kind of thing.

A leather bracelet with the kids’ names so they always travel with him.

I am also tentatively planning a sweater, some slippers, and a new beanie. Waterproof sounds smart. He needs nice socks, too, so all of that might not happen, will see how I feel.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my husband ~

I've been collecting candles from thrift stores throughout the year (particularly Root candles which are his favorites); I have a box of about twenty.

The complete Secret Agent aka Danger Man (The Complete Series)a thrift store find.

A sound machine to replace one that broke a few months ago; a thrift store find.

A throw and a pillow from Red Bubble that both have a Korean theme. He is studying Korean.

The Dune trilogy on Kindle.

A micro-fleece skull cap.

A mini milk chocolate Santa to decorate one of his packages.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Mine is getting:

2 wool blend long-sleeve shirts to try out
wool dress socks that came as a free gift with the shirts (a 3 pack)
a mini Tampa Bay Buccaneers football helmet, for his mini helmet shelf
a bird watching monocle thing that should let him A - see "his" birds better, and B - take better pictures of them (he's started feeding the birds outside, attracting blue jays, woodpeckers, cardinals, assorted doves, finches, sparrows, etc., and the occasional actual crow, not grackle; he often laments that his phone camera doesn't zoom enough to get good pics)

I don't know if the boys have other plans or not, and then his bday is in January, so for that we'll get him (possibly early, b/c he's been really bummed about the loss of the composting lately) a rotating, off the ground composting bin, so he can compost w/o worry about mice finding it (he's stopped lately, b/c he discovered a mouse in the pile, and wants to discourage it coming back by removing it's food source for now....). 

I'll probably toss some scratch off lottery tickets in his stocking, as he finds them fun. 

• Like 2

LEGO Luke’s Landspeeder, for the little boy in him

the LEGO Skywalker Saga PS4 game to play with the kids, to bring out the child in all of them (almost 20, 18, and 16)

a new set of OXO cookie scoops because he swears we had one (I think he’s right) but now none of us can find it

a caddy for the family room to store the remotes and our reading glasses because I am forever after him for monopolizing our shared table with open reading glasses sprawled about, lol

The Funko Ted Lasso game

A Higher Call and The Boys in the Boat books

Golf passes 

An applicator for butcher block oil 

• Like 1

This will sound odd, but my boyfriend is getting a nice, hand crafted, wood plant stand. LOL He pretty much buys himself whatever he wants, so it makes him hard to buy for. He also makes 3x the amount I do, so that makes our spending budget very different. Before we started dating, he saw a plant stand that he really liked at a local farmers market. He has carried the business card around for a while, showed me a picture on his phone of the stand, and mentioned it a few times. So, I ordered it for him for his entryway. He has been slowly upgrading his furniture with unique, craftsman quality items, so this will be a nice addition to his home.  🙂 Not a typical guy gift for Christmas, but I think he will be really happy. And it will definitely be unexpected HAHAHA!

We have agreed to limit Christmas gifts for each other to about $100 and plan a yearly trip instead. We can't away right now, but will plan a trip in the spring instead.  That will be our real gift to each other. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

For my husband ~

I've been collecting candles from thrift stores throughout the year (particularly Root candles which are his favorites); I have a box of about twenty.

The complete Secret Agent aka Danger Man (The Complete Series)a thrift store find.

A sound machine to replace one that broke a few months ago; a thrift store find.

A throw and a pillow from Red Bubble that both have a Korean theme. He is studying Korean.

The Dune trilogy on Kindle.

A micro-fleece skull cap.

A mini milk chocolate Santa to decorate one of his packages.

Regards,

Kareni

This list is so eclectic - you are a very thoughtful gift-giver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

A large print hymnal, which was just published and is awesome.

A book about a couple that decides to live nomadically and gold pan all over California, a true story.  He’s always got gold fever, and I was glad to run across this in an antique store.

These both sound neat! Can you share specific titles please?

On 12/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Sleeper hit a few years back was a Sharper Image tiny little pinching iron.

DH loves to wear heavy cotton shirts but hates the way the pocket flaps curl in the wash.  With this clamping iron thingy he can fix that in the morning before work, really fast.  

I thought he might get a kick out of this, but actually he loves it.  The right tool for the job, in spades.

And maybe a link to this?

On 12/10/2022 at 8:38 PM, marbel said:

Wingspan Game, Bob Dylan's book The Philosophy of Song, some shaving soap (yearly gift), a sweater. And probably another book or two - throughout the year I buy books that seem interesting and then give them to whomever they seem fit for.

ETA: historically he is very hard to buy for, but this year was just easy.

Have you played wingspan yet? I’ve been eyeing it and wonder if it is good for just two players. 

On 12/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, TheReader said:

a bird watching monocle thing that should let him A - see "his" birds better, and B - take better pictures of them (he's started feeding the birds outside, attracting blue jays, woodpeckers, cardinals, assorted doves, finches, sparrows, etc., and the occasional actual crow, not grackle; he often laments that his phone camera doesn't zoom enough to get good pics)

Link for this?

Such good ideas in this thread! I need to finish up my shopping.

12 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Have you played wingspan yet? I’ve been eyeing it and wonder if it is good for just two players. 

We haven't - I haven't given it to him yet! 😎 BUT on a different thread here I asked if it was good for 2 players and a few people said it was. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

These both sound neat! Can you share specific titles please?

And maybe a link to this?

Link for this?

Such good ideas in this thread! I need to finish up my shopping.

This is the one I ended up with; I figured Smithsonian was a trustworthy brand and in my price range. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DQNTF4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheReader said:

This is the one I ended up with; I figured Smithsonian was a trustworthy brand and in my price range. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DQNTF4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I’ve had one on my wish list for a while and this one looks great!

eta I have a really nice pair of Nikon binoculars but I really can’t digiscope with them. Being able to capture an image is very helpful for me in making sure I get a correct ID for my log. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

My husband is getting (from me, from his mom, from the kids)

New sweats

New underwear

New sneakers that look like dress shoes 

The book for the Catechism in a Year podcast.  

A front pocket wallet to replace the one he lost. 

A high quality stud finder with a case.

A picture for the wall

A bracelet

some sentimental stuff 

• Like 1

The stocking is filled with favorite snack foods. That is generally what we put in stockings.

For the rest:

Wool socks

Weber Grill Light

Some weird chargers he asked for. Odd that he didn't just buy those himself.

A couple of fun t-shirts.

A bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon.

Art of NASA book

And something else that I've forgotten 😉 

• Like 2

Alright, I reformed and am now giving him:

books, a personalized leather overnight bag (dS took his) a ski boot warmer (thanks, cold weather running gear thread contributors-I’m giving this to every skier in my life including DS and friends) and one or two very very nice Cashmere sweaters (half zip and not, to wear over his button downs) 

still think it’s absurd to wrap clothing but here we are. I might put all in the bag and add a bow and be done with it. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Ooh, might add running gloves! Will check a couple places tomorrow. Can’t use Amazon bc he’ll see it. 

You can set up your own Amazon login under "Amazon Household." It is the same prime account; account holders share the benefits but do not see each others' orders.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GXULX24SE2RD7EXS

• Like 2

Dh's gifts are almost all related to making Team Usa (old guys division lol). He couldn't let Ds have all the fun. If things go well, they'll travel to Portugal in 2023, I think.

A new chest protector

Good luggage

Hey Dudes to wear through the airport

Something to carry his passport in

Also, coffee

I forgot he also requested new work pants, so I'll have to see if I can find any between now and Christmas.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, Loowit said:

. . . some hand soap with a set of dragon dice in it.  

I meant to come back to this thread to say thank you so much for mentioning this! I shot right over to Etsy and ordered soaps shaped like a dragon and a dragon's egg that each have D&D dice in them. My husband hosts his gaming group here most weeks, and I think he will enjoy having those soaps in the guest bathroom the gamers use. (In fact, I was thinking I might offer to re-decorate the whole bathroom in a D&D theme, since he's enjoying decorating assorted rooms in the house thematically.)

• Like 3

So far, I have not found "the" gift, but I have acquired or planned a few small things:

• the aforementioned dice-containing soaps.
  • a tee-shirt saying something silly about 3D printing (his major hobby).
  • an unfinished wooden tray I plan to paint to match the one I made for myself as a bathroom counter vanity tray. He commented when I finished mine that he would like something similar.

We began playing Disc Golf this year and have decided it is something we want to do more of. I bought DH a carrying case for his discs. He is also getting two new discs but he helped me pick those out as they are not really something someone else can select.

I also ordered him a record from an artist he enjoys. Vinyl is rare for this artist so I'm excited I found one.

He's also getting new wool socks for work as his are thinning from wear.

Edited: I forgot I also purchased the new David Bowie song book and a book he loved from his childhood.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax

6 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

We began playing Disc Golf this year and have decided it is something we want to do more of. I bought DH a carrying case for his discs. He is also getting two new discs but he helped me pick those out as they are not really something someone else can select.

I also ordered him a record from an artist he enjoys. Vinyl is rare for this artist so I'm excited I found one.

He's also getting new wool socks for work as his are thinning from wear.

can you share a link to the carrying case?  I would love to get one of my sons one.

19 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Would this allow you to access and play your Spotify library? (My car is a 2011 and doesn’t have all those capabilities built in).

I'm not the poster you asked, but I bought this bluetooth transmitter (link below) several months ago for our 10 year old vehicle, and it works great! And, yes, it works with Spotify, or any other audio app on my phone. Best 20 bucks we've spent in a LONG time!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07533GYH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TarynB said:

I'm not the poster you asked, but I bought this bluetooth transmitter (link below) several months ago for our 10 year old vehicle, and it works great! And, yes, it works with Spotify, or any other audio app on my phone. Best 20 bucks we've spent in a LONG time!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07533GYH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Amazon tells me I bought that 3 years ago and mine is still going strong as long as I don't touch it! If I touch it now it cuts out and then immediately reconnects. For $20, after 3 years, I'm ok with that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Would this allow you to access and play your Spotify library? (My car is a 2011 and doesn’t have all those capabilities built in).

Yes. We only play from downloaded songs and playlists, not streaming, bc we don’t have unlimited data, but it will stream too.

Our cars are 2006, 2010, and 2011. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got him and I tickets to watch a Bulls-Lakers game here in Chicago. We both really enjoy Cubs games but he keeps saying we won’t pay for Bulls or Bears games even though I know he would love to go to at least one. So, I splurged but he deserves it and it will be a lot of fun for the two of us! And he won’t be upset because it’s a gift and something he knows we will both enjoy. 

On 12/18/2022 at 8:47 AM, Meriwether said:

Dh's gifts are almost all related to making Team Usa (old guys division lol). He couldn't let Ds have all the fun. If things go well, they'll travel to Portugal in 2023, I think.

A new chest protector

Good luggage

Hey Dudes to wear through the airport

Something to carry his passport in

Also, coffee

I forgot he also requested new work pants, so I'll have to see if I can find any between now and Christmas.

Congrats to them both! May I ask what sport? (chest protector makes me wonder if fencing...? DH and I fence as well, though not quite at that level yet!) Also, best wishes to them!