Menu

Is this enough?

Elizabeth86

For us, that would work for an occasional meal, and would be thoroughly enjoyed. We would add a green salad, though. We wouldn’t have it more often because the grilled cheese is very rich, and the canned tomato soup we like is full of high fructose corn syrup. I was so shocked when I read a label as an adult and learned that about a food we had routinely when I was growing up.

I am not a fan of canned soup.  But you can make tomato soup in less than 20 minutes with a couple big cans of crushed tomatoes, low sodium broth and a few ingredients (I usually throw in onions, garlic, basil, maybe a little dairy may sneak in carrots, peppers, etc) I always have on hand and then I have enough for leftovers too.  

But easy soup and sandwiches, sure, fancier than some of our meals around here!  🙂  My kids would eat this for a meal, but they would probably have a snack later too then.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 3

We often have just soup for a meal, but typically something heartier than tomato (I don't like tomato soup anyway). For DH and me just a good soup is enough. If one of the boys is here I'll heat up some frozen rolls for them. And we always have some fruit for dessert--apple and mandarin orange slices or some in season melon or berries.

Edited by Pawz4me

Yes, it would qualify. If they expected more, I would expect them to make more happen. In my world, an expectation amounts to volunteerism. 

Thanking someone for volunteering to make something happen that they have complained about is an effective way to get them to shut up. Works in families, board meetings, and other places in between, in my experience. 😉

• Like 8

TBH, with teens, I think it's enough to have the ingredients available, or even to provide the credit card for the grocery visit to buy the ingredients for that meal.

Of course my teens are always welcome to prepare a better meal if that is what they want.

• Like 2

True, my kids in my own house would happily eat what I made, thank me for it, and then make themselves Second Supper. 

We usually have:

First Breakfast

Second Breakfast

Lunch

Tea

Supper

Second Supper

Elevensies—11pm style 

We ran bloodwork and growth plate X-rays on them. They are healthy and fit, just blowing through calories. 

• Haha 3

That would qualify here for sure. Not all of mine like tomato soup, but they would just eat the grilled cheese and that would be fine. Even my teens don’t typically eat multiple sandwiches in a meal, so it would be plenty in our family. 

If I'm running in late and want to get something on the table fast, absolutely, although I tend to serve fruit at most meals so I might slice some apples or throw some grapes at the children.  

Soup, plus either grilled cheese, quesadillas, or cheese and crackers, and fruit is a pretty common meal here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

True, my kids in my own house would happily eat what I made, thank me for it, and then make themselves Second Supper. 

We usually have:

First Breakfast

Second Breakfast

Lunch

Tea

Supper

Second Supper

Elevensies—11pm style 

We ran bloodwork and growth plate X-rays on them. They are healthy and fit, just blowing through calories. 

😄 This is ds12's eating schedule.

We keep a pretty good diet so I'm not worried, plus the amount of activity he gets is insane some days.

I make tomato soup from scratch in about 10 minutes; no canned soup here. But yes enough for a lighter supper. A staple winter comfort meal here. My Ds15 might go light in soup and have 2 sandwiches. We do like ham or bacon on our grilled cheese, if it’s available.

I use tomato/veggie cocktail from our CSA 1:1 with homemade chx stock for the soup base and it is fabulous!

• Like 2

Soup and grilled cheese is on our dinner menu rotation. Older kids definitely eat more than one sandwich. Some like a little ham on their sandwich instead of just cheese. I also make breakfast toasters with tater tots for dinner sometimes. A breakfast toaster is just a grilled cheese with a sausage patty in it. Similar to breakfast toasters at Sonic.

• Like 1

I don't remember the ages of your kids. 

My girl is a light eater, so she'd have a small bowl or cup of soup and a half sandwich and it would be fine.

For my boy... up to about age 10 that would be fine. After that, no, it wouldn't be enough unless he ate two sandwiches. Which would be OK sometimes, but not very often. 

My husband would be OK with it, but he wouldn't be particularly happy with that for dinner. That's more of a lunch to him. BUT he would not complain. No one would complain, but they might get more food later. 

(An aside, I agree with the poster who said making tomato soup is super easy.  I've been making this recipe for years, using crushed tomatoes for ease. I don't always add any dairy but it is delicious. Half and half or milk is fine as well. I don't usually have heavy cream around. It also doesn't have to be pureed if you start with crushed tomatoes unless you have people who like it very smooth.     https://www.marthastewart.com/343299/creamy-tomato-soup )

Edited by marbel

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I am curious if your family would consider canned tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches qualify as dinner at your house or would your group expect more? 

That's exactly what we have most Mondays, when we have a really short window between DH getting home and he and DS needing to leave for wind symphony rehearsal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I was just curious. I need to go shopping (don’t want to) and we have some canned soup and grilled cheese sandwich supplies. I AM making that for dinner 🤣, I just was curious if you all would call it good enough at your house.

Normally I would say no, but if you don't have anything else and you don't feel like shopping, I would say YES!!!  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That would be a treat in my house.  I don't do canned tomatoes soup (why is it SWEET?!?), but like others, I can make it just as quickly in my Vitamix with pantry staples.  And the only bread we ever have in the house is 100% whole grain and homemade, so nearly a meal on its own.  If I have veggies, salad, or fruit on hand, I would add it as a side but if not, no worries for a "sometimes meal."

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

I don't remember the ages of your kids. 

My girl is a light eater, so she'd have a small bowl or cup of soup and a half sandwich and it would be fine.

For my boy... up to about age 10 that would be fine. After that, no, it wouldn't be enough unless he ate two sandwiches. Which would be OK sometimes, but not very often. 

My husband would be OK with it, but he wouldn't be particularly happy with that for dinner. That's more of a lunch to him. BUT he would not complain. No one would complain, but they might get more food later. 

(An aside, I agree with the poster who said making tomato soup is super easy.  I've been making this recipe for years, using crushed tomatoes for ease. I don't always add any dairy but it is delicious. Half and half or milk is fine as well. I don't usually have heavy cream around. It also doesn't have to be pureed if you start with crushed tomatoes unless you have people who like it very smooth.     https://www.marthastewart.com/343299/creamy-tomato-soup )

Mine are all under 11 and none are big eaters. Just dh and me. 🤣

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I make tomato soup from scratch in about 10 minutes; no canned soup here. But yes enough for a lighter supper. A staple winter comfort meal here. My Ds15 might go light in soup and have 2 sandwiches. We do like ham or bacon on our grilled cheese, if it’s available.

I use tomato/veggie cocktail from our CSA 1:1 with homemade chx stock for the soup base and it is fabulous!

No kidding? So tomato juice and chicken stock?

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

No kidding? So tomato juice and chicken stock?

Well, it’s tomato cocktail, like V8, from a local, beyond-organic farm. Many veggies in it. 1:1 with homemade stock, then add some heavy cream and S&P to taste. I often add fresh basil and a can of fire roasted or petite diced tomatoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it’s plenty, in fact it’s one of my favorite meals. My husband and boys would add ham to their grilled cheese sandwiches. My oldest would likely have two. My daughter would pout about the soup, because she hates tomatoes, but luckily I know that and usually have her favorite soup in the fridge. 

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

My throw-it-together soup is 16 ounces of canned tomato, half a small onion, one carrot, one celery stalk, S&P, a sprinkle of basil and 1/2 cup half-n-half.  Either Vitamix until hot or use a normal blender and heat after blending.  This serves two.  Scale up as needed.  If I am missing the carrot and/or celery, no worries....I might add celery flakes.  Same with half-n-half....sub in regular milk, non-dairy milk, a half block of silken tofu, or go without.  

• Like 1

Nobody in my house, including me, would eat tomato soup, especially if it was canned.  But we often have soup and sandwiches or soup and a piece of bread for dinner. So, substitute the tomato for something like butternut squash and it'd be a dinner here.  Some kids would either have two sandwiches or multiple bowls of soup if they were still hungry

It would be enough here, though I would add apple slices on the side. My teens are not big eaters, and no one would need a second sandwich. Except for DS18, who eats lightly at supper and has a big snack or second meal later in the evening. He would be happy to eat more soup and sandwich later, if there were any leftover.

I do make homemade tomato soup occasionally, but we also like the canned kind. I make canned tomato soup with milk, never water, so it's creamy and has more calories than if made with water.

We like goldfish crackers or oyster crackers to sprinkle on top of the soup, but they don't add much extra substance.

Edited by Storygirl

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I was just curious. I need to go shopping (don’t want to) and we have some canned soup and grilled cheese sandwich supplies. I AM making that for dinner 🤣, I just was curious if you all would call it good enough at your house.

Yep, that’s exactly when we’d have something like this in my family. 

• Like 1