Menu

Do you have any plans for vacations in 2021?

mommyoffive

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, regentrude said:

We applied for backpacking permits at the Grand Canyon. Can't be more distanced than that.

We are also planning a few shorter backpacks in Arkansas and some overnight canoe trips. 

Oh AR is so incredibly beautiful. I was raised up there and only moved away when I was 47 years old.  What part of the state are you looking at?

Dh has over 2 weeks of vacation available now.  So I am definitely dreaming of something later on this year.  We have both received emails saying we can get the vaccine in phase 2 so we are hoping for appointments soon.  My parents already have appointments for this week but they have to drive 100 miles each way to get it. 

I imagine we will do another rv camping trip in AR with dh's family.  That seems pretty safe. 

Too early for planning yet (because too many things are uncertain), but I hope we will go somewhere, even if it's just a road trip to some drive-able tourist destination we haven't seen yet.

I wouldn't mind just chilling at home, but due to the nature of my job, I can never really "get away."  So my "vacations" are all about getting distracted with cool sights and experiences (in between working).

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Oh AR is so incredibly beautiful. I was raised up there and only moved away when I was 47 years old.  What part of the state are you looking at?

Ozarks and Ouchita mountains. We did a few 2-3 day backpacks in the Ozarks this fall, Sylamore, Hurricane,  and Richland Creeks. 

Want to do Eagle rock, when weather and water level allow the river crossings. 

Edited by regentrude

2 hours ago, Choirfarm3 said:

They aren't for everyone, but yes, it has come in very handy. Some people don't like all the advance prep before a trip and/or like eating out, etc. We have always preferred cooking for ourselves. To me, the hard work is all before and then it is so relaxing as we travel.  Better than almost no prep but packing and unpacking, figuring out where to eat, hours things are open. We prefer campfires and hikes and fishing! And Covid made it one of the few ways to travel safely.

For me the big thing is your own bathroom! We would love to go camping, and could avoid people, except in say, the showers, bathrooms, etc. 

Yes and no. 
My husband’s diabetic monthly supply cost has sky rocketed so that is a serious dent in our finances. And I am getting more desperate for a van to be purchased, necessitating a loan and full coverage insurance costs. 

BUT a son has moved out of state to Missouri and we hope that if we do get a new van soonish, we will be able to visit him for a week or so once or twice.  And that will be our vacay.  I’m going to be really upset if we can’t swing at least this. 

Also I am planning to spend many a day driving to the lakes in our state for some cheap leisure throughout the summer. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

There is also the risk of you and DH getting sick far from home, and then what does 91 year old uncle do?

Yes, that is another consideration.  The uncle is very mobile, independent, and in good health.  He drives, does all of his own yard work with lots of gardening, tends to his pool, etc.  He would take off and do the drive himself; it is more that he wants the company and wants to share the experience with DH.  

• Like 1

Our kids have a few tentative plans for 2021, including a few trips out of the country. We have all our fingers crossed that those trips can happen! 

We aren't sure about family or DH/me trips... we did have a couple getaways this year (saaaafe traveling and around no one) that gave us some outdoor, get out of the house weeks. I'm sort of looking forward to staying home voluntarily! đŸ˜‚ We are going out of the country again in 2022 and if things look good, we might do it in 2021. 

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I will say, never before have I been jealous of those with an RV! But this pandemic sure made them worth it I bet. 

It has been a huge, huge blessing. And not just for travel - we've had ours set up in the driveway since March. It's been our teach-from-home spot and is on standby (stocked and ready) as our quarantine location should one of us need it (DH was exiled there for a few days in the fall while waiting on COVID test results).

Edited by cabercro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

That's why we plan for backcountry. No bathrooms to worry about đŸ™‚

Yup! It's a little nasty with snow, especially for the girls. Tree shelter helps a lot, so skiing/hiking across a glacier or mountain plateau is a real 'adventure' more than 'vacation.'Â đŸ˜„

We aren't making vacation plans given how bad things are with Covid.   For certain I wouldn't fly or travel across state lines this year.   I am too paranoid to trust hotels or B&Bs to be Covid free within state lines.   We are not a camping family.  So we are left with staying at home and that is perfectly okay with us.  Better to be safe than sorry.

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

Ozarks and Ouchita mountains. We did a few 2-3 day backpacks in the Ozarks this fall, Sylamore, Hurricane,  and Richland Creeks. 

Want to do Eagle rock, when weather and water level allow the river crossings. 

I was raised up in the beautiful Ouachita Mountains.   

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I should post this, but.... we are taking advantage of the Southern Hemisphere summer, the lack of tourists, the tourism/flight/accommodation sales, and a covid-free location. Last week we went to Rotorua for the thermal hot pools, and Poor Knights Island for the scuba diving, and finally back down the coast to the Waitomo caves for a cave repelling, zipline, rafting, wetsuit adventure. Next week we go to homeschool camp for a week, and then the following week we are heading down to Queenstown to take a boat ride on Milford sounds, and then to jet boat, bungi jump, and tramp in some of the National Parks.  Summer holidays are over on Feb 1, but oldest doesn't return to the USA until Feb 12, so we may do one more trip to Abel Tasman National Park to do the kayaking adventure. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm not sure if I should post this, but.... we are taking advantage of the Southern Hemisphere summer, the lack of tourists, the tourism/flight/accommodation sales, and a covid-free location. Last week we went to Rotorua for the thermal hot pools, and Poor Knights Island for the scuba diving, and finally back down the coast to the Waitomo caves for a cave repelling, zipline, rafting, wetsuit adventure. Next week we go to homeschool camp for a week, and then the following week we are heading down to Queenstown to take a boat ride on Milford sounds, and then to jet boat, bungi jump, and tramp in some of the National Parks.  Summer holidays are over on Feb 1, but oldest doesn't return to the USA until Feb 12, so we may do one more trip to Abel Tasman National Park to do the kayaking adventure. 

you should absolutely post it! the rest of us can live vicariously đŸ™‚

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

So jealous.  But it is a lesson too.  If our country all the citizens had done things right, maybe we could be covid free too. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Feeling pretty confident (knock wood) about our summer RV plans (the non-Canada version); all of us except the 15 and 8 year olds will be vaccinated. We'll still stick with mostly outside stuff/outside restaurants only, etc. But we're supposed to meet up with my in-laws on Cape Cod for their 50th anniversary. We haven't seen them for well over a year, so that will be really great.

• Like 1

I imagine we will get together at the lake with dh's family probably late fall like we did last year.  I think it is a fairly safe vacation.....and hopefully things will be better this fall.

I would love to do a weekend to Branson with dh soon.  I think we will both be comfortable with that in a few weeks since I got my 2nd shot today and he got his almost 2 weeks ago.

No vacays for funsies, but we are hoping against hope that we are allowed—and it will be reasonably safe, both must be true—to accompany DS when he moves overseas for university. Realistically I can’t see it being appropriate, but I’m holding onto a little bit of hope. 

• Like 2

DH, the boys, and I are going away for a week late next month.  DD is staying home, she didn't want to come.  I found a house to rent in a forest setting with acreage and close to a national forest.  We are going to be avoiding touristy things, but plan to do some hiking.  It is only about an hour and half from home so we won't need to worry about bathrooms on the way there and back.

We are talking about another trip possibly this fall which would likely just be DH, youngest, and I.  I would like to find somewhere on the coast we can hang out away from crowds and do some hiking.  I am really hoping at least DH and I can be vaccinated by then, but things are (feeling like they are) going so slow.

And a possibly, but not probable is a trip to DS18's boot camp graduation.  He is trying to join the military but there have been some delays.  First was due to him being homeschooled, but we got that sorted,  Now we have to get his medical records get straightened out.  We have been having a hard time getting the documentation we need from some of his childhood stuff.  So, if everything works out, and if boot camp graduations open up again for people to attend, then we will be doing a road trip to see it.

we have a camping trip with some of my family who we're already seeing regularly at the end of June.  Other than that we don't have anything planned. I'm actually ok with no travelling this year since our next big trip is another trip to Universal Studios.  I hope it can be in 2022 but I won't go if masks are still required.  It is just too much for one of my kids to handle.  he doesn't do well with a mask for over 2 hours so all day, multiple days in a row isn't going to happen.

39 minutes ago, Loowit said:

DH, the boys, and I are going away for a week late next month.  DD is staying home, she didn't want to come.  I found a house to rent in a forest setting with acreage and close to a national forest.  We are going to be avoiding touristy things, but plan to do some hiking.  It is only about an hour and half from home so we won't need to worry about bathrooms on the way there and back.

We are talking about another trip possibly this fall which would likely just be DH, youngest, and I.  I would like to find somewhere on the coast we can hang out away from crowds and do some hiking.  I am really hoping at least DH and I can be vaccinated by then, but things are (feeling like they are) going so slow.

And a possibly, but not probable is a trip to DS18's boot camp graduation.  He is trying to join the military but there have been some delays.  First was due to him being homeschooled, but we got that sorted,  Now we have to get his medical records get straightened out.  We have been having a hard time getting the documentation we need from some of his childhood stuff.  So, if everything works out, and if boot camp graduations open up again for people to attend, then we will be doing a road trip to see it.

My niece recently joined the military (October) And there have definitely been delays. She's finally past BASIC and on to Intermediate training. But quarantines, etc. delayed.

• Like 1

After my kids (and myself) are fully vaccinated (my husband already is), this summer I plan to 1) visit my parents and my sister and her family in Tennessee, and 2) take my kids to visit some colleges.  I know it won't be ideal, since the colleges won't be in session, but it will give my oldest some visual image of some different colleges.  

My parents and my sister and her husband are vaccinated, so the only people we'd be in close contact with who will not be vaccinated are my sister's children, and that seems like a reasonably low risk.  

We rented a cabin one state over last fall and went hiking at several different parks/trails. That went really well. We picked a place where we could drive the entire distance without having to stop to use the restroom. We brought nonperishables (and snacks for the road) from home and bought perishables at a local store when we got there. (We tried to pick out some special things we don't usually eat/splurge on to make the food more exciting.) We sprayed the heck out of the cabin with Lysol and opened the windows to make us feel a little more confident.

We will likely do something similar this year. Although, I'm not as worried about picking up Covid at restrooms, so we might drive a little further this time. We aren't comfortable flying, so that's out. DH and I will both be fully vaccinated by the time his next vacation rolls around, but we aren't going to take too many extra risks. (We're wondering whether things like cave tours might be okay, if we social distance and mask up. Not sure yet.) We're hoping DD can get vaccinated soon too. She's 13 (almost 14), so I'm not overly confident. I keep thinking they'll open up the J&J shots to kids.

Just got back from a week of backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Social distancing at its best. They limit the number of permits per zone and you encounter only the occasional person.
For the 2 day drive, we had reserved a campsite for the first night and spent the second one in the National Forest near the rim before descending (in a snow storm, lol). For the way back, we had another camping reservation.
Our interaction with civilization was limited to bathroom breaks and one Panera food pickup on the drive home.

We had SO much less contact than during a normal work week.

tent canyon.jpg

little co.jpg

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I just booked a big old house in Maine for a week in mid July.  My aunt booked another in the same town.  Neither of us knows *exactly* who will show up, but the idea is that all the extended family adults plus all the kids 16+ will definitely be fully vaccinated by then; and there's hope that the 12+ will be as well; and there only are two kids in the extended family <12.  We both put out APB to the various family branches, and all the Boomers and octos will come; and whatever kids don't have jobs/internships/study programs will come as they're able. We'll be able to hike / kayak / bike together, eat home-cooked and takeout meals together, do puzzles and board games and etc.  It'll be great.

We *do* have a small camper/RV, which was always vastly underutilized before COVID and has been a lifeline since. Pending case counts and variants (sigh), we're looking at taking it to Tennessee to attend a twice-postposed wedding, now finally scheduled, outdoors, for May.  We'll play that one by ear but at this point I'm fairly optimistic.

My eldest started a rabbinic program this fall. Ordinarily the first year is in Jerusalem; which obviously didn't happen. But they're hoping to do a term in spring 2022, which (again, pending variants and cases and vaccines' ability to protect against them) may be feasible. If we're allowed to visit while she's there, we'll certainly try to.

• Like 4

We will be traveling for the last upcoming gymnastics meets in PA and hopefully FL for DD3. We also will need to travel to move DD2 out of University in May and take DD3 to University in June for a summer program. It will be me traveling for these trips with the girls and we will be flying to all except PA. DD2 will also fly to AF Field Training this summer as well. Just waiting to hear when.

Then in August as a family we have to get both daughters back to University. At this time we are hoping to be able to visit the Ark Encounter, but we will see how things are going overall.

Edited by AStableBeginning

I think we'll do a family vacation that will involve camping.  We haven't locked down any plans yet but it would normally be our year to take a bit longer trip and visit national parks. 

DD and I had long planned to take a girls trip this summer somewhere out east where we could visit art museums and other attractions her younger brothers are less interested in.  We should both be able to be vaccinated sometime in the next couple months (our state just opened eligibility to everyone 16+), so it seems relatively safe, but I'm not sure enough places like museums in major east coast cities will even be open??? We haven't really checked into it and I hate to make firm plans until we are actually on the calendar to get our vax.

Camping camping and more camping.  We will all be fully vaccinated before the first trip.  We did lots of camping last year too.  Dh has to start flying for work by the end of the summer and dd has to fly twice this summer.  We won't fly for a vacation any time soon. 

We'll be heading down to England once the border opens and students are allowed to return, to take Hobbes back to university.  He'll still be learning online, but he'll be with his mates. That may well just be a long day trip. Otherwise,  just day trips into the Highlands planned.

• Like 2

I thinking about renting a house on a river in north Georgia for me, dh, and the dogs.   We did go to my parents house recently at the beach for a long weekend (parents were off camping) and it was fantastic.  Relaxing and quiet, dogs had a blast, beach was fantastic.   But I'm ready to get in the water (beach was too cold).  

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

We're considering a virtual vacation, maybe one of these trips.

Wow, these look really interesting!  Have you tried one before?  Will you review for us?

We don’t have travel plans, but may rent a house within driving distance, just to get away.  Elder will be going to visit her twin at some point, so we will have a week just for us, and a change of scene would be good.

ETA: we won’t be doing more than that until youngest is vaccinated.

Edited by Spryte

We rented a teeny lodge in NH for four days with an indoor pool and sauna for the intermediate days of Passover. My oldest's best buddy (who gave my 2nd son covid in December)  came along as well as two of my next two children's best friends from Israel (one of them got permission to leave the country less than 4 hours before the flight! The older of the two is vaccinated; the younger one who almost didn't come isn't yet). So I have six teenagers and a tween in a kitchen with a finite amount of food (thanks Passover!). But everyone is having a terrific time so far. We had hoped that we could take the kids skiing but the local resorts aren't doing night skiing and it is supposed to rain the next two days. It's ok; we have lots of board games, and Xbox, and of course the Internet! 

Later in the summer we've rented a beach house in NC for my parents and family. We hunker down. Last year we went to the beach and ran away from the crowds. 

My DH insists we were going to Japan this summer with his summer class in the field but when the national tourism program says gently that hotels are refunding the money and that they don't think Japan will be open as well as his contacts in the Embassy; he's coming to the realization it ain't gonna happen. 

But he really insists we are going to go to Israel for the fall holidays. I hope so! My children's pediatrician believes 11+ kids will get vaccinated by the end of the summer. 

Edited by YaelAldrich
Clarification
  • Like 2

If I had replied when this thread was started I would have said no, or probably not, unless we go at the end of the year. Just this weekend though dh and I talked about a short getaway. Today I booked a condo in a small Old Florida style building in Venice, FL (west coast of Florida, south of Tampa/St. Pete). It's about a 3 hour drive. 

Venice Beach activities are pretty much all outdoors (beaches, a pier to watch the sunset, and an historic downtown) and all three of us have been vaccinated. Dh was the last to get it but he'll be well past his two weeks by the time we go the first week of May. We'll have a full kitchen and there seems to be enough outdoor privacy so when we aren't out exploring we don't have to mingle with the other guests. The place has a pool but it looks rather small so if we use it, we'll do so when it isn't crowded. 

Ds likely won't be able to take 5 days off work so he'll come on his own schedule for a day or two. We got a one bedroom with a pull out couch because we didn't see the need pay for 2 bedrooms when he only might spend one night there, two at the most.

We felt the need to get away and feel safe taking this little trip. Dh wanted to go to Key West but doesn't want to fly yet (I don't either) and it's an 8 hour drive. We'd need two full days just for traveling and don't have that much time. He's retiring at the end of this year so I told him we'll save The Keys for when he doesn't actually have to take vacation time off work, or when we feel better about flying.

No, we're not going anywhere. DS had two international competitions in two different states for two different activities cancelled last year and rescheduled for this year. Both of them have been cancelled again and we were planning to have them be family trips, so we're probably not going on a vacation.