Menu

Do you have any plans for vacations in 2021?

mommyoffive

Its been years, and we had a big one planned for 2020.  I cannot make any plans yet.  We think, we look, we don't book.  Whatever it is, it will be a mostly outdoor vacation within 1 day driving distance.  We will stay at a VRBO-type place with a kitchen and outdoor grill.  Not what I wanted- maybe we can finally go someplace neat in 2022?  I'm not going to an amusement park in a mask.

• Like 2

Too nervous to commit to a vacation, but we'll be traveling OOS several times by plane and car to move our dd in/out of college and, hopefully, for a summer research program.  If things look relatively safe, we'll visit our adult sons who are OOS.  

• Like 2

We're considering a virtual vacation, maybe one of these trips.

We're trying to determine how we would make that work. The agendas are not full days, so I (who has a lot less paid vacation time to spend) would not want to take off a full week to participate. On the other hand, I don't want to try to juggle the experience with work in a way that makes it hard to enjoy the content. 

The only other possibility is that if it seems safe to do so and if there is an in-person ceremony to attend, we might try to make it up to NY for our daughter's graduation in June. I'm thinking that is not a likely scenario.

Either way, that's a close as I'm likely to come to a vacation this year. 

• Like 2

We were supposed to go to Tokyo in 2020. I'm still slightly hopeful that we can do it this year. I found out last night that one of my friends is moving to Japan in April. Now I have a second reason to visit (we have another set who live there, who we were already going to visit). 

We love traveling and it's been very hard this past year to not go anywhere. I have a million vacations planned, just hoping that things start to open back up again soon and this vaccine is evenly distributed and works well!

• Like 3

We usually get a beach house with extended family.  In 2020, it didn't happen due to covid.  In 2019, we sent our healthy kids, but DH and I stayed at home with a child too sick for that kind of travel.  

This year, regardless of covid, we probably won't do it, but it will be for a joyful reason.  My sister in law's fourth child is due in July, so I assume they'll want to stay close to home.  I don't know whether we'd have done it anyway, because of covid, but it's kind of nice to have a reason we can happy about. 

Edited by BaseballandHockey
My inability to spell, punctuate, or follow the rules of grammar continues to be a problem.
  • Like 6

The trip we were supposed to take in 2020 was moved to 2021, but that now looks doubtful.  Depending on vaccine outcomes, case numbers, and travel restrictions, we may visit DD in Europe.  We are beginning to look at some cycling trip possibilities.  

And DH's 91-year old uncle wants us to take him on a road trip this summer.  That one is really tricky because we know that he wants to do this while he can still can.

Edited by Bootsie
  • Like 2

No plans yet, but I hope we can do a two night camping trip at the coast (they're not even doing reservations more than 30 days out right now. We camp in a yurt and usually reserve it 9 months in advance). It would also be nice to go see dh' parents in Orlando--we had hoped to do that in 2020. We'll see how things are going at the end of summer. Also will need to get youngest to college wherever she ends up going.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

dh and I are going to a B&B for a few days.  I'm going to be visiting 2dd in August, so when she comes up in Sep the boys will, hopefully, be used to me.  Her BFF's wedding has already been delayed so hopefully not again.  But that will allow her to stay overnight and I'll keep the babies.

• Like 1

We have a 2 month road trip booked for June and July through the mid-Atlantic.

The caveats on that:

• We have a camper. That changes the game significantly.
  • We're both teachers and in the next group in our state to be vaccinated, so we should both be fully vaccinated well before June.
  • DD is 3, so won't be able to be vaccinated, but is really, really good about wearing a mask and following safety guidelines. That's the biggest question mark in our overall risk assessment.
  • Everything minus a few deposits is refundable and/or won't be booked until just before we actually leave.

We'll only go if it's reasonably safe and enough places in our destination are open to justify the trip. There are a lot of different scenarios in which we don't actually take the trip, but the planning has been a nice distraction either way.

Edited by cabercro
  • Like 4

We have a a big RV trip planned; currently we have two versions booked--one that goes into Canada if the border's open, and one that sticks with New England/New York. It's all tentative--I'm not ready to count on it actually happening--but good campgrounds often book up super early, so we don't have much choice but to plan ahead. 

• Like 2

I would like to get away for our 25th anniversary in April for a few nights to a quiet out of the way cabin, but I am not sure if that will happen or not.

I am hoping the boys can get away for some camping trips.  They always do back country camping, so it would be socially distanced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, importswim said:

We were supposed to go to Tokyo in 2020. I'm still slightly hopeful that we can do it this year. I found out last night that one of my friends is moving to Japan in April. Now I have a second reason to visit (we have another set who live there, who we were already going to visit). 

We love traveling and it's been very hard this past year to not go anywhere. I have a million vacations planned, just hoping that things start to open back up again soon and this vaccine is evenly distributed and works well!

We were too!  We were going for spring break and luckily got our money back from the trip.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

The trip we were supposed to take in 2020 was moved to 2021, but that now looks doubtful.  Depending on vaccine outcomes, case numbers, and travel restrictions, we may visit DD in Europe.  We are beginning to look at some cycling trip possibilities.  

And DH's 91-year old uncle wants us to take him on a road trip this summer.  That one is really tricky because we know that he wants to do this while he can still can.

Oh I hope he gets to.  He should be able to get the vaccine pretty soon. 

We are hoping to be able to do a few more college visits before dD has to make a final decision. I'm also hoping that DH and I can take about a week with just us, away from home and work, after dropping her off next fall as a transition to our next stage of life. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, carriede said:

We'll be tent camping 2-3 times this year. Our main event is a trip to the Rocky Mountains and Yellowstone.

The last time DH was talking with his boss, his boss said he'd make a note that we camped before it was cool. 😎

Oh wow, I bet those places are beautiful.  

• Like 1

We were planning on a big vacation last year or this year, but have put those plans on hold indefinitely.

Hoping to take a day trip to attend a Lindsey Stirling outdoor concert in late summer, maybe. I don't have high hopes. Not telling my daughter yet, as she is the biggest fan. 🙂 

• Like 1

So I have no plans at all.  I am currently looking at places on Airbnb in our state for spring break.  Do I feel comfortable doing it?   I tried to make myself ok with it during the summer and I couldn't pull the trigger.  I think I feel better about it now.   It would be within a few hours or less our house and ideally so far away from others.  Just to enjoy the place we would rent and not really do anything other than that. 

Same thing for summer or maybe RV trip?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh I hope he gets to.  He should be able to get the vaccine pretty soon. 

It is tricky because even if he has a vaccine and gets ill from something else while traveling and medical care is stretched to its limits it is a big responsibility.  The 91-year old uncle has much more exposure than DH and I have now.  He gets together with his friends for card games and other activities.  His Sunday School class is meeting and when asked what they are doing his response was "We try to sit every-other-seat, most of the time."  He spends time with a relative who does things like got to Sturgis.  

So if DH and I took him on a trip, the main thing would not be increasing the uncle's exposure and putting him at risk but taking a chance on our promoting community spread.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bootsie said:

It is tricky because even if he has a vaccine and gets ill from something else while traveling and medical care is stretched to its limits it is a big responsibility.  The 91-year old uncle has much more exposure than DH and I have now.  He gets together with his friends for card games and other activities.  His Sunday School class is meeting and when asked what they are doing his response was "We try to sit every-other-seat, most of the time."  He spends time with a relative who does things like got to Sturgis.  

So if DH and I took him on a trip, the main thing would not be increasing the uncle's exposure and putting him at risk but taking a chance on our promoting community spread.  

Ahhh gotcha.  Does he want to go on a in state road trip or a cross country one?  It is so complicated to think about things now. 

The girls and I are going to Indiana to stay with BFF family. Depending on what the school does we may go out either in May or June. DH will be doing a refueling outage working 4 on nights on 1 night off and will be a zombie from April through the end of June so it will be nice.  

We will also being doing some camping in our trailer 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ahhh gotcha.  Does he want to go on a in state road trip or a cross country one?  It is so complicated to think about things now. 

He wants to go several states away to show DH where he and DH's father (who is deceased) grew up.; it would definitely entail several hotel stays.  DH would really like to see the places (he never has visited) and also take DS along for a multi-generational experience.  

• Like 1

I just booked a cabin get-away for the whole family for the end of this month!!! It's about 1hr drive in a big park and we'll stay in a cabin heated by a wood fire. No water or electric and we have to ski, snowshoe or hike into the cabin. I'm so excited!  Sadly I could only get one night, but at least we can do this. 😃

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Sounds like maybe you’ve already made some - any in the time of covid? If so, have you felt well protected by the precautions you see on campus as you tour?

We did a couple in the fall. In general, yes-you can see details on my thread for each. Most are not really doing tours inside buildings (although we were able to do a tour of DD's specific college just for students who had already been accepted to that program). Masks were required, and in general students were wearing them. All three were in cities that have mask mandates, which I'm sure helped. One was local, for the others we did a house rental, and had food delivered or brought it with us.

But numbers willhave to go down, especially hospital use, before I'd be comfortable doing even that much again. 

No plans to go interstate this year, the borders open and close here with very little notice! 

A friend has a holiday house a few hours up north, so we may stay there for a few days when we can. I'd like to go camping for a weekend, too. But I wouldn't book anything that wasn't in my state. I just don't know how things are going to play out with the UK mutation and the vaccine. We shall see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bookbard said:

No plans to go interstate this year, the borders open and close here with very little notice! 

A friend has a holiday house a few hours up north, so we may stay there for a few days when we can. I'd like to go camping for a weekend, too. But I wouldn't book anything that wasn't in my state. I just don't know how things are going to play out with the UK mutation and the vaccine. We shall see. 

Good point.  Ugh.

Had plans to visit family in Georgia in late spring....by that time we would all be vaccinated with both doses based on our priority status.

This week though my mom got a cancer diagnosis so depending on what testing shows as to spread, if any, stage, treatment, etc  we might nix that trip and do a local trip with her and my brother and his family.

I also am planning on a few overnight camping trips/backpacking trips with a friend semi near home.

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Had plans to visit family in Georgia in late spring....by that time we would all be vaccinated with both doses based on our priority status.

This week though my mom got a cancer diagnosis so depending on what testing shows as to spread, if any, stage, treatment, etc  we might nix that trip and do a local trip with her and my brother and his family.

I also am planning on a few overnight camping trips/backpacking trips with a friend semi near home.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis.   I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts her way.   

• Like 1

When Covid is behind us, I really want to visit people.  I had to cancel a trip to my brother in Colorado and my Sister in Florida.  I was going to travel with my mom.  I have an incredible urge to do a cross country trip with her where we go DC to Indiana to Colorado to CA.  She's up for traveling now, but she's not getting any younger and I don't want to waste more time sitting at home.  After I get my fix of people, I want to plan a cool destination with my family.  I wanted to make the transition from Mom-does-everything-Christmas to destination Christmas THIS year, but Covid derailed that.  I REALLY want to get a job too, so I won't likely have tons of vacation time out of the gate.  Corona taught me that I'm not cut out to be a housewife. 😆 Sure, I've been HOME for that last 24 years, but this was my first year without babies, toddlers, homeschoolers, or dance students.   I want a part-time office gig.  I got an offer a few weeks ago, but I can't take anything public-facing until this pandemic is over. 

We’re planning a two week road trip through Colorado and Utah that ends with us us visiting my in laws. We will probably do the trip no matter what but obviously how we do it can change due to Covid.

Dh’s home office has been closed since March but they are hoping to open back up this summer. If they do, we hope to also do a trip there in the winter.

We got to stay at a friend’s beach house (a very quiet, not-crowded area) last summer, but I won’t ask again this year. 

Both of my kids will be gone for most of June, so Dh and I will have a staycation. What we do will depend on the covid scenario, but there are loads of fun possibilities. 

My Ds may be at camp in western NC in late July. If so, I may enjoy the mountains by myself that week. 

I’d like to book a few days at a state park with a nice golf course for Dh and some of his friends in the fall. Need to get on the phone soon about that!

Yes.  We had a trip booked and paid for to visit my mother in California over Christmas.  We got our money back on our airbnb and travel vouchers for our flights.  I hope we can rebook for this summer.  With 10 people flying that is a lot of $$$.  I just hope we can coordinate our schedules and not lose our money.

Edited to add... It would be really nice to stay in a weekend cabin or just get a change of scenery.  My kiddos were so disappointed they would love to do something.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Most of our family is in Michigan and we always visit for a couple of weeks in the summer.  We missed 2020 (obviously...) but we are hoping to be able to go this summer.  I think all of the family members who plan to get the vaccine will be vaccinated by then.  

14 hours ago, Bootsie said:

There is also the risk of you and DH getting sick far from home, and then what does 91 year old uncle do?

Anything other than a camping weekend locally (and that depends on covid stats) will be after we all get vaccinated. And I have no idea when that will be. Add in that kids can't be vaccinated and I don't know. 

I DO know that my parents are getting vaccinated this coming week! Their appointment got moved up - hopefully because more vaccine or more staff were available and not because others are declining or canceling. So that's hopeful. I think if vaccination shows to prevent transmission, once they and DH and I and DS are vaccinated, we could keep the kids quarantined for 2 weeks, and then drop them at Grandmas for a weekend safely? I'm REALLY ready for a day or two without my children, to stay by the beach with my husband!!!!! That's what I'd love. 

My sister is pushing for us to rent a vacation beach home for several days this summer, but I am not feeling great about that. 1. I don't know when she and I and DH will be vaccinated or if we will be protected by then - and my sister is high exposure working in a highschool. 2. I don't imagine any scenario where kids are vaccinated yet, and her kids are high exposure with sports, friends, playdates, school, etc and exposing my kids to her kids in a situation where we are all living together for days on end...I know most kids do fine but I have one with PANDAS and that makes me really nervous. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1