Menu

20 in 20 for 2020 Support Thread

Slache

If anyone missed, a large number of us are committing to do 20 somethings between November 1st and 20th. I'll be walking a mile a day on the treadmill, others are running, walking the dog, rowing or doing summersaults. The twenty days are completed the Friday before Thanksgiving so this should not intrude on people's plans. Please join!

The reminders:

@Susan in TN @Ottakee @IfIOnly @Pen @ktgrok @Ausmumof3 @Pam in CT @Familia @Thatboyofmine @Ditto @fifiruth @stephanier.1765 @purpleowl @Jentrovert @ScoutTN @historically accurate @East Coast Sue @Junie @Matryoshka @mathnerd @YaelAldrich @Carol in Cal. @Violet Crown @Margaret in CO @Just Kate @SusanC @Jenny in Florida @DorothyNJ @scbusf @math teacher @EmilyGF @Dreamergal @itsheresomewhere @easypeasy @Pawz4me @maize @Lady Florida. @school17777

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for doing this!

I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow. Florida's version of fall kicked in just in time. For the next week or so we'll have temperatures in the low 80s, and it will probably be down to around 75 in the evening when I like to walk. I still might end up doing some indoor walking on days when I can't take to time to walk outside. 

• Thanks 1

I like this idea. I end my online day working in a high school around 3:00 each day and then tend to stress eat. I'm going to try for 20 days of late afternoon or evening physical activity (I already have an early morning workout). I like the idea of walking a mile, but if it's rainy I might wimp out, but I'm sure I could talk myself into yoga if I don't want to walk.

• Thanks 1

Ooh, I didn’t join before, but would like to now. I commit to rowing on my rowing machine for 20 minutes every day for 20 days. This will hopefully help me get closer to my goal of losing 20 pounds in 2020. (Made good progress until quarantine, and since then have gained and lost the same 10 pounds since - currently down 17). 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Ooh, I didn’t join before, but would like to now. I commit to rowing on my rowing machine for 20 minutes every day for 20 days. 

Well sure, show me up. 😉  I'd only been planning on committing to rowing the one mile each day, which I can do in about 8 minutes. 🙄 But once I actually get going, I'm usually up for more, either more rowing or doing other exercise, so I love the dailyness of this challenge.  So I'll say 'at least' a mile a day on the rower, as I know I can do that even if somehow the day gets away from me, but hopefully it will get me back in the groove of doing other stuff as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

What's the cooking class, happi?    Is it live or recorded?   I'm a horrible cook, so my interest is piqued.  

It's a Forks Over Knives class.  I feel best eating vegan and no fat.

I'm doing the class that already "started" but you go at your own pace and have continuing access.  I've only done a few of the intro lessons.  No actual cooking yet!  There are live q and a sessions but the lessons are videos and articles.  I'm hoping this challenge gets me in gear!!

https://www.forksoverknives.com/cooking-course/

Eta: I think the "school" that runs the course has other classes for other types of cooking too.  I think it's called Rouxbe

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Well sure, show me up. 😉  I'd only been planning on committing to rowing the one mile each day, which I can do in about 8 minutes. 🙄 But once I actually get going, I'm usually up for more, either more rowing or doing other exercise, so I love the dailyness of this challenge.  So I'll say 'at least' a mile a day on the rower, as I know I can do that even if somehow the day gets away from me, but hopefully it will get me back in the groove of doing other stuff as well.

You’ve got this friend! Rowing is pretty much my only exercise, so it’s basically rowing or nothing for me. This thread will be good accountability for me! 

Just now, PinkTulip said:

You’ve got this friend! Rowing is pretty much my only exercise, so it’s basically rowing or nothing for me. This thread will be good accountability for me! 

Yeah, this is coming along at a good time. I was doing so well, but I've found myself running out of steam the past few weeks.  A doable daily challenge and accountability is just the thing to hopefully get me back on track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Somersaults.

Maybe if it were 20 years ago. 🤣 

If I can't do the walking...I have some little 5-lb weights that I haven't touched in forever. I can figure out 20 reps total that I can do each day. My arms could benefit from some work anyway!

Edited by purpleowl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good job!  First day down!  I do 99% of my walking in flip flops!  

It is hard on my feet to walk in them. If I try to get any speed, my feet will be aching for a while afterward, and same if I go for too long. But I can't wear tennis shoes right now without aggravating the blister on my heel. 

But I have lost about twenty pounds in the last couple of months and I really, really don't want to stop walking!

• Like 3

Super cold windy walk this morning. 23 degree wind chill. My neighborhood consists of 3 interlocking circles like a Venn diagram. If I walk the outer parts of the 3 circles, it comes to 1.04 miles. So that was what I walked. My 15 yo DD joined me although we didn't talk at all since we both had hoods on and earbuds in. 

20201101_081301.jpg

• Like 10

I’m in on this and excited to read along with everyone. That will definitely help the motivation. 
I will be joining the rowers for #rowvember. I’m going to try to follow along with the daily workouts sent out by dark horse rowing. Something different every day to keep it interesting! 

• Like 4

I made some printables, to keep track. Some have miles, some are generic for 20 of anything. (there are multiple pages at each link, print whichever you want, if you want). Or, make your own on Canva 🙂 

I'm doing the runmotivators 2020 dumpster fire challenge, and really wanted the shirt, but they are sold out. So I got the medal (going to put it on the christmas tree) and am going to make my own shirt with Canva and an iron on printable I make on Canva. If anyone wants to memorialize this they could do the same, or I bet there is a way to make a christmas ornament yourself, or we could design a Hive 2020 t-shirt for all of us? Make them on one of those Tspring type places?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KlImyBnPUM8eUEyOnZIEtJs6_oGinHrL/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxCaelgBSJf1GiwjFooVJ3cl3x9hPv2w/view?usp=sharing

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I made some printables, to keep track. Some have miles, some are generic for 20 of anything. (there are multiple pages at each link, print whichever you want, if you want). Or, make your own on Canva 🙂 

I'm doing the runmotivators 2020 dumpster fire challenge, and really wanted the shirt, but they are sold out. So I got the medal (going to put it on the christmas tree) and am going to make my own shirt with Canva and an iron on printable I make on Canva. If anyone wants to memorialize this they could do the same, or I bet there is a way to make a christmas ornament yourself, or we could design a Hive 2020 t-shirt for all of us? Make them on one of those Tspring type places?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KlImyBnPUM8eUEyOnZIEtJs6_oGinHrL/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxCaelgBSJf1GiwjFooVJ3cl3x9hPv2w/view?usp=sharing

So, I was going to offer to make "medals" for everyone. My husband has volunteered to put his 3-D printer to use for the purpose. 

I'm planning to come up with some kind of design today so he can get to work converting it to the appropriate format for printing. If anyone would like one, please just PM me your mailing address, and I will send them out as soon as I get them printed and painted.

(I should probably clarify, by the way, that this is my gift to the group.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Meant to add - the printables are very simple, but legit - as in I have copyright to use the images via paid membership to Canva, image I bought on etsy, etc - so no legal issues - I refuse to just cut and paste off the internet illegally. 

You're singing my song. One of the daily concerns in my job is sourcing images we can include in our courses without violating anyone's copyrights. Thank you so much for being thoughtful and clear about this.

• Like 3

Day 1 (Nov 1) - Mile 1 (outside, 1.1 mile dog walk around neighborhood)

My personal challenge is not going to be the distance; it's going to be doing it OUTDOORS instead of on the elliptical. Today is dreary and cold and gray, the sort of day I find very difficult to rouse myself to sally forth into. Also I'd failed to work out that the opening day of this challenge happens to fall on Daylight Losing Day, and that the sun is now setting at 5:10p, shoot me right now.

• Like 5

Day 1 done. I measured my favorite neighborhood loop and it's 1.1 miles--perfect for this challenge. Normally I'll be trying to do this after my school day, and like @Pam in CT, I've decide to aim for outdoor exercise as I spend entirely too much time inside. Easy to do on a day this gorgeous, but we'll have some rain this week and temps will get lower in another week. Molly is going to be doing the challenge with me.

walk1.JPG

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I did my very first Leslie Sanstone 1 Mile Walking workout. 

I did one too! I did on with a different instructor than I've used before - Brittany I think? I didn't like this one as much. I mean, she seems perfectly nice as a person but not my favorite instructor by far. I really like Nadyia and Kamilah. The "party" ones with all of them are good, and Leslie herself is fine, Nick is funny as he gets all tongue tied when encouraging people - overexcited, lol. 

I'm creating a playlist with the ones I like (some of the videos are old with bad quality video). 

• Like 1

Here are two Walk at Home playlists (free videos)

This one is the one I made, all 1 mile of walking, and decent video quality, with instructors I like. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvPxALIvFdoFZ_Rkla9cbf8-RzwIzKnyW

This one is one I found, of 2 mile walks, in case you need to make up some miles, lol. I have not checked how the video quality is or anything. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJaMvhrwkVtKR7LYoDX6GPCVIfpQ3130l

Edited by ktgrok

Day 1 complete. I didn't make my goal, but I will keep going. Maybe I'll get to a mile by the 20th!

8 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

Anybody want to do a fitbit challenge group? 

Sure, but I'm not doing much. Fitbit recently suggested I change my goal from 4K to 2.5. Thanks, fitbit. Feels good.

Don't quote me but I'm mrslubbe@gmail.com on fitbit.

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

So far I have done 1 hour of yoga.  I love yoga.  I need to do this everyday and not take a bunch of time of .   I want to do some more today.

Jenny, that is so sweet of you to do.

I hate yoga with the fiery passion of 1,000 suns. What did you do?

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Day 1 (Nov 1) - Mile 1 (outside, 1.1 mile dog walk around neighborhood)

My personal challenge is not going to be the distance; it's going to be doing it OUTDOORS instead of on the elliptical. Today is dreary and cold and gray, the sort of day I find very difficult to rouse myself to sally forth into. Also I'd failed to work out that the opening day of this challenge happens to fall on Daylight Losing Day, and that the sun is now setting at 5:10p, shoot me right now.

Hi! I just saw your post on the other thread. Sorry.

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

But like someone in the fitness thread said, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing"

Yeah, no. This is not true.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1