Menu

Can a non coffee drinker learn to drink (and even enjoy) coffee?

Ottakee

I am not a coffee drinker.  Never have been.  I need to lose weight and my drink of choice (Coke) is not going to help.  I would like to learn to drink coffee, even if it is for social situations, etc.  If you went from a non coffee lover to someone who can enjoy a cup, give me your best tips.

I am on a tight budget though so Starbucks, Biggby, etc are out.  Maybe a McDonalds $1 cup but I am talking more about the typical coffee made at home, the kind in the break room at work, etc.

I honestly don't understand why you would WANT to start drinking coffee.  Don't.  Just don't.  I am a water drinker.  All my life.  Just switch to water.  Think of all the $$ you will save in addition to weight.  My husband laughs all the time about all the $$ he has saved over our time together and then naturally our kids became water drinkers too.  

• Like 16

1 minute ago, ZiMom said:

I honestly don't understand why you would WANT to start drinking coffee.  Don't.  Just don't.  I am a water drinker.  All my life.  Just switch to water.  Think of all the $$ you will save in addition to weight.  My husband laughs all the time about all the $$ he has saved over our time together and then naturally our kids became water drinkers too.  

Right now, I most of the time have a water when my friends have a coffee.  That said, a warm drink in the winter sounds good and I LOVE the smell of coffee.

• Like 2

I've never learned to like coffee.  It tastes somewhat better with a lot of sugar and cream - but that defeats your purpose.

Tea is a much easier drink to like!  Generally available at any place you would get coffee.   And tastes sooooooo much better. 🙂

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Right now, I most of the time have a water when my friends have a coffee.  That said, a warm drink in the winter sounds good and I LOVE the smell of coffee.

Interesting, I've never liked the smell of it but I am weird about smells.  I've never felt left out having water.  How about hot chocolate?  Not addicting at least.  I did finally break down and drink some hot chocolate at my daughter's outdoor swim meet a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 30s!!!

I love my coffee but I'm not picky. I don't care for frou frou coffee drinks (no mocha-latta-whatevers that are often 90 percent sugar and 10 percent coffee and have 1000 calories per cup). Just plain old basic coffee and lots of it. I started in my early 20's but don't remember how or why. So take this for what it's worth --

Regarding make at home coffee -- I like milder coffees and I think that might be the best way to introduce yourself to it? The packaged McDonald's coffees are what I'm currently using. Their breakfast blend is mild. Experiment with making it stronger/weaker, adding in some sort of sweetener and a splash of half and half or whatever lightener you might prefer. If you don't want to invest in a coffee maker right away you might try the coffee at McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts (you can buy prepackaged Dunkin Donuts coffee in most stores, too).

I don't like coffee and I do like the smell... I don't totally get why you want this habit either. If I'm out socially with friends, I get tea. Often just a fruity or herbal "tea" but sometimes a "real" tea. Nearly everywhere that has coffee will serve you cheap tea. And it's cheaper. And less caffeine. And not as bad for you or the environment. I mean, I don't think those are great reasons to stop if you like it... but why like it?

One of my issues is that I'm not that into hot drinks in general. It sounds like that's not part of your issue though.

• Like 4

I grew up on coffee, so I can't identify, lol. If you don't object to sucralose, you might try adding Mio Energy drops in Iced Mocha Java or Iced Vanilla Java. In spite of the names, they are just fine in hot coffee. They are coffee concentrate and already have caffeine. This is no problem for me but you might want to use it in a milder coffee. Each flavor does add 4 carbs but that's still a lot less than coke (and I don't use the full amount, it's really sweet). 

Of course, because it's coffee concentrate, you can also use it to make cold coffee by adding to water. 

44 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I need to lose weight and my drink of choice (Coke) is not going to help. 

Maybe a McDonalds $1 cup but I am talking more about the typical coffee made at home, the kind in the break room at work, etc.

31 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I drank lots of Coca Cola (do not like Pepsi) and coffee since childhood. My first coffee I had was without sugar and creamer/milk because I poured coffee from my aunt’s coffee jug and didn’t think to add sugar. The taste of plain coffee was closer to Coca Cola. 

I made the break room coffee at work if I was earlier than my secretary. I like mine strong and my colleagues just dilute accordingly after pouring a cup from the 12 cup coffee maker.

I prefer dark roast coffee. My kids took a sip at home and they prefer drinking lattes.

When we were dating, my DH really thought it was terrible I didn't like coffee, and he set out to persuade me it was good. Lots of lattes and things like ice cream and chocolate syrup drizzled into a cup made it so. 

Oh, also doing stuff like adding instant coffee crystals to brownie batter--that helped too. I used to have a teeny tiny stovetop (gas only, I think) espresso maker. I think making espresso and then diluting it with whatever you want could be a good place to start because you can control how much coffee flavor you want. If you want a fairly "typical" cup from espresso, you can put hot water in it. You might even try hot cocoa prepared with just a little drizzle of espresso.

My grandmother used to drink cups of coffee that were half milk. 

I now drink my coffee completely unsweetened most of the time (except for a special drink now and then when I'm out), but I do use organic cream in it most of the time. It helps me to not be crazy hungry after I drink it. Caffeinated coffee tends to make me extremely hungry.

I do not like bitter coffee, and unpolluted Starbucks or Dunkin' coffee just tastes nasty to me. I do like Pete's coffee, and we brew that at home frequently. Pete's Brazilian seems to not get bitter even when it's brewed on the strong side.

I get the hot beverage thing--I really, really like hot beverages, and tea turns my bladder inside out (coffee can too, but not as easily). I don't like herbal tea and am allergic to a lot of it. I have actually just had hot water for a drink if I'm desperate. I would encourage you to try some cold coffee too though. I am stunned at how much I've learned to like it, and it's great in the summer.

My DH. He didn’t want to drink coke for health reasons but needs the caffeine to stay awake. What works for him is chai “lattes” which in my house means mild blend (stumptown) drip coffee, mixed in with green chai steeped in whole milk(doesn’t need to be green. Can be regular. I’m trying to add marginal health benefits ;)), a dash of turmeric, cinnamon and a splash of maple syrup) Yes it seems like a lot of work but the Chai milk essence can I suppose be made ahead of time. At Starbucks, the closest equivalent for this would be dirty chai with two shots of espresso. I wouldn’t say he’s a coffee lover, but he’s a coffee tolerator😂

Edited by madteaparty

51 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This is my go to at home caffeinated drink: Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso

Yes! Are you sure you and I aren't the same person? My HEB stopped carrying Medaglia d'Oro so now Amazon Primes it to me. 

To the OP: yeah, listen to the people telling you not to start. I did the same thing you did, back in college: started drinking coffee deliberately even though I didn't like it, because that's what my set did. It may not be a particularly harmful addiction, but it is an addiction--I genuinely can't bring myself to quit. Go for decaf, or tea. 

• Like 1

I now get headaches without my morning coffee. I don't like junk syrups and sugar in it. I love my coffee but then people love their cigarettes too and it doesn't make me want to join them. I'd advise not starting a bad habit on purpose.

I'd switch to herbal tea if you just want something warm. Adding lemon to hot water is good. If you want something creamy you can add cream to black or Chai flavored teas although they have caffeine too, just not as much. Of course, adding cream to my teas seemed to be my gateway drug. Creamy tea then creamy coffee so maybe thatcould be the ticket to being a drug addict too. 😉

Christmas killed me with sugar so I'm a little disgruntled about addictive things currently.

Yes you can learn to like it. I did. I can go black or add sugar, but if I add sugar one day, I will want it the next. I can't do Stevia and won't do other sweetners

Try a mild blend, like Green Mountain. 

And coffee DOES have some health bennies--it is a good source of chromium and antioxidants, for two. Here's a little article from Livestrong: https://www.livestrong.com/article/77167-health-benefits-black-coffee/

• Like 1

I started drinking coffee after my third child. I don’t even remember why I started but I love it now. I drink it black and homemade. Nothing fancy or sweet.

I did start with some cream and sweetener and I used different flavors but honestly it is just tastier to me black and strong. With cream and sugar it tastes watered down and less appealing. I don’t drink tea. 

I used to use flavored stevia drops. I remember chocolate and caramel flavors. I would still do that if I had some around for something different. It would add some flavor without diluting it which makes it yucky for me.

So, as strange as it sounds I would not recommend diluting it to make it more palatable. But that’s just me! 

I just started drinking coffee a couple of years ago, so it can be done.  I absolutely HATE tea (any flavor, sweetened, unsweetened-- I hate it all) and I don't think that there is anything that could make me like it, but I have ended up really enjoying coffee.  I started out drinking it with two sugars and flavored creamer.  Then I dropped to one sugar and a little less creamer.  Now I don't use any sugar and only a splash of creamer.  I really enjoy it and find it yummy and soothing.  However, I don't *need* it.   I usually have a cup or two in the morning, but if I am busy or have to rush out of the house, I don't have any.  I don't miss it or feel like I need it if I don't drink it.

I didn't like coffee for a long time. Then i married a coffee drinker, and now I love it.  I also understand the desire for a hot drink at times, and the desire not to just drink water when out.

Forget the mochas and such; they are expensive and high calorie. I avoid Starbucks (too bitter) and just use half and half or cream.

We buy Costco Columbian coffee. So I can't really advise you on what to buy. Just basically saying that sure, a non-drinker can come to like coffee.  If you want to try it, try it!  Coffee is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

I do drink tea.  I just want to enjoy a coffee occ......or at least I think I do.

I don't have a lot of social pressure to drink coffee as none of my friends ever say "let's meet for coffee"....instead we meet for a walk which is cheaper and much healthier.  I I just think maybe my grown up self should learn to enjoy a cup of coffee.

• Like 3

I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid 30s. I usually drink it iced with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, with the occasional hot coffee when I'm out running errands on a cold day.

If you like hazelnut, try Cameron's Vanilla Hazelnut coffee. It is so good! It's fairly inexpensive and is available at many grocery stores (I buy it at Walmart).

Oh, and if you're looking for an inexpensive coffee maker, we have a 12-cup Mr. Coffee that works like a charm. It's on Amazon for $24.99, but I'm pretty sure you can get it even cheaper than that at Walmart.

DH buys a bag of coffee beans from Costco, stores it in the freezer, and uses a coffee grinder and a French press to make cold brew coffee. He makes enough coffee to last several days and stores it in the fridge. If he wants it hot, he just microwaves it; if he wants it as iced coffee in the summer, he pours it over ice cubes. Add flavored creamer or plain half-and-half -- or not, as desired. Also recommended: invest in a good quality stainless steel travel coffee mug or tumbler with a tightly sealing lid for taking your home-made coffee with you.

Making your own cold brew coffee is just pennies a cup, has far less acid than regular hot brew coffee, and is more flavorful (according to DH -- I'm not a coffee drinker).

Enjoy!

Nope. I do not want to become addicted to caffeine. I don’t like what it does to the brain to make it feel awake.  I don’t want to have headaches when I don’t drink it.  I don’t want to *have* to have it to function in my day.  I don’t want to pay for it.

I guess if you’re going to drink it once in a blue moon with a friend, that’s fine, and people have given ideas.  But for the most part, I’m thankful that I’m not tempted to drink coffee.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I am an occasional coffee drinker, alternating between coffee and herbal tea. I really like a strong flavored coffee with sweetened condensed milk. Yum!

I use an aeropress to make my coffee. I don't like coffee from most coffee makers.

Be aware, too, that you may need a dedicated coffee mug. Even when clean, you can frequently taste the coffee residue if you're drinking tea from the same mug.

11 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I am not a coffee drinker.  Never have been.  I need to lose weight and my drink of choice (Coke) is not going to help.  I would like to learn to drink coffee, even if it is for social situations, etc.  If you went from a non coffee lover to someone who can enjoy a cup, give me your best tips.

I am on a tight budget though so Starbucks, Biggby, etc are out.  Maybe a McDonalds $1 cup but I am talking more about the typical coffee made at home, the kind in the break room at work, etc.

Mid flip to flavored black tea before coffee and I’m a coffee lover. If you’re transitioning, I think tea is an easier switch and you could still get caffeine. 

I never liked coffee until we lived in the Middle East.  We were served a Turkish style coffee with cardamom and a little sugar almost everywhere we went.   That's what got me hooked!  Even today, I sometimes add some cardamom to the coffee grounds before I brew it.

• Like 1

I am sitting here with my cup of coffee.  I made a medium roast Mc Donalds coffee and added 2 t of sugar and a generous splash of cream.  Not bad.  Not my ideal yet, but not bad.  We do have a 6 cup coffee maker (traditional drip) and a small blade coffee grinder.  DD drinks coffee a lot and has flavored creamers but right now they are all peppermint which I don't enjoy.  I will have to buy a flavored creamer I like at the store today or stay with my cream.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I already do drink iced tea (homemade with a splash of sugar) and hot tea....regular and flavored with a spoon of sugar.  There is just a part of me that wants to enjoy a cup of coffee before I turn 50.

You seem to have two agendas; one is to lose weight by reducing sugary drinks, the other is a curiosity for coffee. Coffee without sugar is bitter and not really nice tasting. It's probably not a great substitute for Coke if you enjoy sweet drinks. Coffee diluted with milk, cream, hot chocolate is much more tasty, but that isn't going to be much help in the losing weight goal.

I can’t do coffee. I live the smell, but all coffee tastes of nast bitterness to me. (The same for beer. I just taste some bitter flavors in a different way than most people.) I’m a tea drinker. Most coffee shops make terrible tea, but  I generally get a less-sweet chai latte when I’m out or a green tea frappacino in hot weather. Still, tea is best made at home. Maybe start sipping green tea? If you brew it for about 3 minutes it’s not bitter and needs no sugar. 

Once you find a favorite tea, you can carry it with you and get hot water anywhere. My main teavis irish breakfast tea with a splash of milk and a little sugar. 

I don't get it either, but when I told some friends a while back about how I like the smell of coffee but hate the taste they suggested that my problem might be that the coffee I've tried before is poor quality and I ought to consider something shade grown, light roasted.

Shade grown coffee is better for the environment too! The only coffee I buy the rest of my household now is bird friendly. Spendy, but I do like birds, and bird friendly coffee is also fair trade.

I am another tea drinker- mostly iced but I do drink the occasional cup of hot (really room temp) tea. I don't like my tea sweetened. I also like the smell of coffee, but hate the taste. I can tell when the worker at McDobalds has switched the baskets and uses the coffee filter basket to make tea. I have returned tea for that reason. I will spit out coffee flavored desserts. 

a weight loss person that I follow on YouTube, once said that if a person only likes coffee when it is doctored with sugar, sweetener, creamer and flavors then that person doesn't really like coffee. 

Do you like milk?  I started drinking coffee more as coffee milk (and I do not like milk by itself).  I do no like any sweet coffee.  Over the years I have used less and less coffee or cream in my milk.  I also found that as I drank more hot teas, I became accustomed to drinking more coffee  

I would get a simple coffee making device--a French press or a stovetop moka, and begin experimenting some.  This would be cheaper, and probably a better coffee experience, than even $1 McDonalds coffee.  Plus, you would be able to experiment and see what you do and do not like.  Another thing that I have found that contributes to the experience of drinking coffee is the coffee cup.  Sitting down and enjoying a nice cup of coffee can be a very different experience than juggling a hot Styrofoam cup in your car.  I also find that much of the coffee at places like McDonald's is served too hot.    

17 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I do drink tea.  I just want to enjoy a coffee occ......or at least I think I do.

I don't have a lot of social pressure to drink coffee as none of my friends ever say "let's meet for coffee"....instead we meet for a walk which is cheaper and much healthier.  I I just think maybe my grown up self should learn to enjoy a cup of coffee.

Stick with the walks!

4 hours ago, marbel said:

I'm wondering why people are telling the OP not to start drinking coffee, when she explicitly says she wants to start drinking coffee....

Because she wants to start doing something that isn’t especially beneficial.  Yes, there are some antioxidants in coffee. But it also is addictive and acidic and stains teeth...

One doesn’t need to drink coffee to be a grown up.  Many grown up English people don’t IME.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Because she wants to start doing something that isn’t especially beneficial.  Yes, there are some antioxidants in coffee. But it also is addictive and acidic and stains teeth...

One doesn’t need to drink coffee to be a grown up.  Many grown up English people don’t IME.  

Sure, lots of people don't drink coffee.  I probably know more coffee non-drinkers than coffee drinkers. <shrug>  Not sure what that has to do with it.  I'm just thinking... she didn't ask for opinions on whether or not she should start drinking coffee.  She didn't ask for a health lecture on coffee consumption.  

I dunno, I get frustrated when I ask someone a question and they answer with something that doesn't actually address the question.  I'm telling my kids all the time, "answer the question you are asked, not the one you want to answer."  

I don't feel as snippy as I'm sure I sound.  :-)   I've no dog in this fight. 

• Like 4

I can't really say what made me like coffee. I had tried a number of times and didn't like it. When I moved back home from Atlanta back to Florida after a heartbreaking end to a relationship, my mother was the type who always had a pot of coffee going in case someone stopped by. She was a very social person so often people did stop in to just have coffee and talk. I always liked the smell of coffee and after being home a while I decided to try it. I was surprised to find it not as horrible as I once thought it was. The more I drank it the more I liked the taste. But I can't tell you why that changed or how I started liking it. I didn't make myself like it, I just did. However, if I had tried it and didn't like it I wouldn't have forced myself. Don't force yourself just because other people like coffee. 

I don't like flavored coffees or flavored creamers. I like the taste of coffee so I don't want it changed with flavorings. Try it without flavorings first, then maybe try different simple flavorings to see if that makes a difference.

I get why people are telling you not to bother but I also get why you'd like to try and like it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

Okay, maybe, but it's not as bad as all that. It's not like she's asking our opinion of how to start taking meth so as to hang out with all her addicted friends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2