Menu

Can a non coffee drinker learn to drink (and even enjoy) coffee?

Ottakee

Cold brew might be a nice introduction to coffee for you. It's smoother, less acidic, and potentially less irritating to the tummy. You can dilute it to your preferred strength, or use milk or cream to dilute it. Very drinkable hot or cold. DH's cousin worked in a coffee shop when we got married and gave us a cold brew system as a wedding gift. IIRC that's how DH started appreciating coffee, and now he'll drink all kinds of coffee. But he's by no means a coffee addict, or in it just for the milk and sugar (for crying out loud, Hive!). 

You don't need to buy the official cold brew setup, unless you find it more convenient. My MIL cobbled something together from Pinterest and it works just fine.

I've mostly given up coffee because it was getting hard on my tummy, and I've returned to tea, my first love. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Okay, maybe, but it's not as bad as all that. It's not like she's asking our opinion of how to start taking meth so as to hang out with all her addicted friends.

It has positives and negatives .  I hope no one but you thought I was making it sound like coffee and meth are on par.  

I was in Brazil in early childhood and milky coffee was a thing kids drank—like hot chocolate here in states. It was also freely available in my high school and also is at my son’s.

I don’t think it’s terrible, nor do I think drinking it means someone is grown up.  

5 hours ago, marbel said:

I'm wondering why people are telling the OP not to start drinking coffee, when she explicitly says she wants to start drinking coffee....

I guess I'm guilty of this. It's just hard to understand why a drug somehow makes you an adult. I guess I sort of gave an idea with the heavy cream thing but I also wanted to give warning.

I know not everyone is as bad as me but I can't sleep in very long without ruining my day and getting a major headache because my body wants it's coffee by a certain time. I also tried to go cold turkey once and couldn't sleep for three days and gave up. The funny thing is I only drink a few cups in the morning. 

• Like 2

Jumping to the end here, but have you thought about drinking hot tea instead? It's very elegant, readily available, doesn't involve plastic in coffee pots (bleh), and is something people can give you as gifts. It comes in lots of decaf versions, so you don't have the caffeine addiction thing. My dd got me this for Christmas to replace my previous one that died. Secura The Original Stainless Steel Double Wall Electric Water Kettle 1.8 Quart (Black)

PS. If you must drink coffee, only with Eagle Brand (sweetened condensed milk) or in a milkshake. :biggrin: But me, I'm too high-powered for coffee. You put me on it and I'm like some kinda Squirrel Revival or something. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

When I moved back home from Atlanta back to Florida after a heartbreaking end to a relationship, my mother was the type who always had a pot of coffee going in case someone stopped by.

See that's the thing that op might have too, kind of an emotional component. And that's fine, totally fine. But if she wants options hot tea with an electric tea kettle can be just as nice. Well maybe not JUST as nice, but ok. I think we all pick our vices. 

On December 30, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Ottakee said:

Right now, I most of the time have a water when my friends have a coffee.  That said, a warm drink in the winter sounds good and I LOVE the smell of coffee.

Well you could try some boxes of tea and try coffee and just see what it does for you. I agree, MI winters are long! 

That's funny that you like the smell. I have a coffee maker for guests and when I come out and it's on I always ask what got BURNT, lol. 

You know another thing you might like is coconut milk (or any alternative milk I guess) with cinnamon and honey. The cinnamon is good for your blood sugar and the honey makes it yummy. My nutritionist had me doing that in the evenings before bed, and it's kind of warm and frothy and nice. You can also warm chocolate coconut milk for a super fast cocoa. But the vanilla coconut milk with cinnamon and honey is really good and kind of different.

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

I guess I'm guilty of this. It's just hard to understand why a drug somehow makes you an adult. I guess I sort of gave an idea with the heavy cream thing but I also wanted to give warning.

I know not everyone is as bad as me but I can't sleep in very long without ruining my day and getting a major headache because my body wants it's coffee by a certain time. I also tried to go cold turkey once and couldn't sleep for three days and gave up. The funny thing is I only drink a few cups in the morning. 

It's interesting. I only drink a cup or two in the morning (very occasionally I will have a third cup).  I have never felt addicted to it.  If I am busy, I will skip drinking it at all that day, with no ill effects.  In fact, I typically only drink it in the fall and winter.  I have an occasional cup in the spring and rarely have any in the summer.  I think I just like how it feels soothing on a chilly day.  I never feel like I need it to wake up or keep going. I don't get headaches if I don't drink it.  In fact, I don't even crave it. It also never keeps me up at night.   I guess it just affects people differently.

I know that many people get the same soothing benefits from hot tea, but I absolutely abhor the taste of tea.  It is so vile to me.  I have tried to make myself like it, but I finally gave up.

• Like 2

I haven't read the other replies.  Here's my $.02.

If you want to lose weight, learn to drink and enjoy water. 

I very rarely drink soda or juice.  I have learned to like my coffee without sugar, but I have to have cream in it which kills my diet.  If I want to lose weight I have to cut out the coffee (and other dairy too).  If I want caffeine, I drink tea without sugar or milk.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

While I didn't dislike coffee, I didn't drink it much either prior to my doctor telling me that the effectiveness of a medication I am taking was boosted x2 for at least 2 cups of coffee per day. Coffee has health benefits; so does tea. In the middle of the Venn diagram of the positive effects are the positive effects of caffeine. Other than that, they each have their own depending on specific flavonoids, etc. 

I make lousy coffee, so I broke down and got a Keurig. I use the little screen cup that you can fill with your own blend of coffee to prevent the environmental impact of all those little plastic cups. 

I have never added sugar, but because I don't love the taste of black coffee, I do use milk or almond milk  The milk does a better job of mellowing the coffee, but the almond milk doesn't impact the daily calories as much. 

If you need some sweetener or milk, since you're trying to lose weight, I would decrease it over time. 

Also, be aware that caffeine can speed some medications and vitamins through your body (along with everything else!) so if that is an issue for you,  either take meds well before coffee (I think like 3 hours) or at least 15 min after you finish your coffee. You can google for more information on timining. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edelweiss said:

It's interesting. I only drink a cup or two in the morning (very occasionally I will have a third cup).  I have never felt addicted to it.  If I am busy, I will skip drinking it at all that day, with no ill effects.  In fact, I typically only drink it in the fall and winter.  I have an occasional cup in the spring and rarely have any in the summer.  I think I just like how it feels soothing on a chilly day.  I never feel like I need it to wake up or keep going. I don't get headaches if I don't drink it.  In fact, I don't even crave it. It also never keeps me up at night.   I guess it just affects people differently.

This is me. I have two cups in the morning and that's it. Occasionally I'll have an iced coffee later in the day but only rarely, and my cutoff time is 4 pm. The only time I ignore my self-imposed cut off is on holidays when I'll have coffee with dessert. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I didn't think you were saying that, but all this talk about how she shouldn't bother... well, that's not what she asked for, is it?

That’s true.  The specific answer to her thread title question is: “yes.”

Nearly Everyone who drinks coffee came out of the womb or equivalent not drinking it.  Though I suppose some (or most in some countries)  pregnant mothers drank it so that newborns were already exposed.  

Some of us may be advocating not starting because we wish we ourselves hadn’t.  I have given up coffee several times in my life.  It is possible, but IME there is a withdrawal reaction period. 

Edited by Pen

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yup, I hated coffee as an adult, and then began working as a barista and realized I only hated bad, overroasted and overbrewed coffee.  For me, acidic medium roasts were a game changer.  I still hate dark roasts and anything with a charcoal note, unless it is in a milky iced coffee.  For hot coffee undoctored a good Kenyan or Yrgacheffe will do it!  Fruity notes, in particular, make me so happy.

But I still don’t like really overroasted Costa Ricans and the like.

I absolutely loved Blue Bottle and other sampler bag companies - being able to try a BUNCH of different coffees helped me figure out what I did and didn’t like about various ones.  Most of what was in the store was meh.  $18 a month on coffee was money spent IMO 🙂

The best coffee I ever tasted was a Jamaican coffee at a farmer's market. I don't remember if it was blue mountain or what the roast was but it was the only coffee I ever liked black. With most coffee, even the good stuff, I need a little sweetener. I can drink it without milk/cream but not without sweetener. That coffee was delicious on its own. Alas, I can't afford it for every day coffee. 

I couldn't stand coffee for years. Not even coffee-flavored candies, etc.

Then I discovered iced coffee, and frozen coffee (eg. iced capp). Those I can tolerate and even enjoy. I can only drink it if it's iced, 90% milk and super sweet, and has added flavors (eg. vanilla, caramel, chocolate, etc.)

Still scared to try hot coffee. Had it one time at a function, without milk (or even sugar maybe? - in hindsight, what was I thinking?!) It was terrible. Had a little bit of a tickle in my throat and was hoping it would help so I wouldn't have to cough.

Not that I'm condoning the development of a coffee habit 😉

I was at the point where I was drinking coffee everyday, but that only lasted about a month before I realized it was amounting to a huge amount of sugar. Now I only drink it once a week.

48 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I had my second cup today........with 2 cream and 2 sugars (but it was a bigger mug).  Not bad.  Not great, but not bad.  It was just a drip pot of McDonalds medium roast we already had at home.

I'm telling you, try this stuff. Often I find it buy one get one at my local store. Lots of fun flavors, not too strong. https://www.newenglandcoffee.com/product-category/coffee/flavored/