Menu

What do YOU bring to potlucks?

Carol in Cal.

Do you have a special dish you usually bring to potlucks?

Once I served Angel Pie to my relatives, that was it--I had to make it every year for Christmas.

My other specialties are blanched long green beans in a dijon mustard marinade or chips and clam dip.

I don't make things look gorgeous but make them taste really, really good.

Apple crisp was my dessert of choice before the Angel Pie craze.  I would over prepare so as not to inconvenience the hosts--peel and cut up the apples in advance, mix up the topping and carry it in a canning jar, bring the pan to cook this in either already buttered or with a stick of butter softening in it on the road.  That way when dinner was served I would quick pour the apples into the pan, sprinkle on the topping, and pop it in the oven--by then the roast would have been out for quite a while and also any breads or rolls.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I miss potlucks. They seem to be disappearing or getting so restrictive because of allergies that people give up and bring gf chips and salsa. Most now require you avoid xyz ingredients and list the full ingredients list to label your dish. People get discouraged and buy a dessert that’s labeled. For this reason I try to bring a savory side or main dish to balance the additional sugar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Do you have a special dish you usually bring to potlucks?

Once I served Angel Pie to my relatives, that was it--I had to make it every year for Christmas.

My other specialties are blanched long green beans in a dijon mustard marinade or chips and clam dip.

I don't make things look gorgeous but make them taste really, really good.

Apple crisp was my dessert of choice before the Angel Pie craze.  I would over prepare so as not to inconvenience the hosts--peel and cut up the apples in advance, mix up the topping and carry it in a canning jar, bring the pan to cook this in either already buttered or with a stick of butter softening in it on the road.  That way when dinner was served I would quick pour the apples into the pan, sprinkle on the topping, and pop it in the oven--by then the roast would have been out for quite a while and also any breads or rolls.

I think I need the Angel Pie recipe now.

• Like 8

Depends on the setting but I can normally be counted on for brownies or a similar tray bake.

Because my family is picky I bring something else to get them through the main meal.  3” or so pizza has been my go to for years with assorted toppings.  I also do chicken legs in large quantities when my husband asks.

I usually bring something GF that also works with the allergies of the children in the group and is okay for the vegetarians.  I'm going to a potluck party tonight and taking a salad sort of like cowboy caviar that can be eaten alone or with chips.  It has black beans, bell peppers (red, yellow, and green), celery, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, honey, cumin, salt and pepper.  I'm also taking some GF cookies - Pillsbury choc. chip.  Every time I take those, people rave about them.

• Like 1

I usually bring vegetables of some kind.  There are usually good main dishes and desserts, but I want more vegetable options than the American-style salads that might be there.  Currently I do a tomato cucumber pomegranate salad.  I know I can always find the ingredients for that near my house.

• Like 1

I am not much of a cook, so I would bring something easy, be it side dish or dessert.  If it required any prep, I'd probably buy one of those prepared meals you can just put in the oven and it's delicious.

Most potluckish things I attend are very informal.  I tend to bring specialty nacho chips and dips (store bought).  I also don't eat much at potlucks, so it isn't an issue of fairness.

I bring whatever dh feels like making.  😁

Depending on the location and circumstances, in the past that has been:

chili
macadamia encrusted tuna
mini caprese appetizers (cherry tomato cut in 1/2, slice of mozzarella and basil leaf in between, held together with toothpick, drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette)
ice cream pie
ham and bean soup

Completely changes depending on where the potluck is and the group of people involved.  I really like making and taking a trifle because I can adjust that to contain seasonal flavors and fruit.   I can also adjust the ingredients based on any allergies or sensitivities.  This time of year were I to make a trifle, it would probably be a Salted Caramel Pineapple Upside Down Trifle.  I use homemade yellow cake, a vanilla pastry cream, caramelized pineapple, a homemade salted caramel drizzle and freshly whipped cream.   Or maybe a Black Forest Trifle- brownies with homemade cherry pie filling, chocolate custard, vanilla whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Toasted pecans if I can take nuts.  One year I made a blackberry lemon trifle using a white chocolate blondie as the base with lemon curd, fresh blackberries and macadamia nuts.  Any combo of cake/pastry cream/fruit/nuts and whipped cream (or topping for dairy free) layered in a pretty glass bowl makes enough for an army and looks impressive.

Chili is probably my favorite main to take because I have a recipe for making it in a Nesco and it makes a ton with the same amount of effort as a single pot on the stove. 

• Like 2

Depends on season. In summer a salad with lots of veggies and chick peas that is gf and vegan, or a bowl of fruit, in winter a vegan vegetable stew or pumpkin bread. 

I like to bring a vegan dish even though I am not vegan myself, because I know from the vegans in my life how much it sucks when the only thing you can eat is what you brought yourself. 

• Like 3

I usually will bring oven fried chicken drumsticks, if I know no meat is provided. My next choice would be a dessert. It’s angel food cake, torn up into bit size pieces, dump a small box of vanilla pudding, that is made according to the directions, over the cake, top with a can of cherry pie filling or fresh fruit.😊

My go to is a dish that's yellow rice, black beans, homemade salsa, and sliced avocado. I generally do a yellow rice mix and just canned black beans, but I do hand chop up and mix the salsa - tomatoes, red onion, lime, cilantro, etc. Hollow out the rice to fit the bowl, then do the same with the black beans so that it's sort of layered into a bowl shape with the salsa inside the bowl. And I arrange the avocado along the top. It's vegan, gluten free, looks incredibly pretty and like it took a ton of time (nope), tends to be liked by lots of people, can be a side dish for a wide variety of things, but is also hearty enough to be a main dish, serves cold or room temp very well. I'm convinced it's the perfect dish for a potluck.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 5

I usually bring an assortment of cheese cubes, crackers, and grapes on a platter. It’s easy, well-liked, and sometimes the only thing my kids will eat at a potluck. 

If I’m contributing to the extended family holiday meal, I almost always bring deviled eggs, because mine are good and because nobody likes making them. 

• Like 1

I usually bring a veggie dish that can either be a hearty side or a main dish. We don't eat meat in our house - I will sometimes eat fish or bacon (I know) out- and it's often hard for vegetarians to have yummy options at potlucks. Last weekend, my church had a potluck and I brought a broccoli casserole. Spinach bars are also a favorite. 

If it's summer time, I almost always bring a big fruit salad...with the best summer fruits I can find.

I also do a large Greek salad which always goes fast.

Somehow, I've become the shrimp lady for our family gatherings.  One year, I bought a few pound of shrimp and made a giant tray with cocktail sauce, etc....and since then, everybody is like..."Is Umsami bringing the shrimp?"  So, yeah...I got stuck.

• Like 1

it can depend upon the event - but dh will usually bring his chocolate cheesecake.   people ask for it.  

the first time he took it to his business group christmas party, we stood in amazement as it was ignored while people drank.  then one person took a bite . . . . . YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!!!!! . . . from then on, he wasn't allowed to bring anything else.   a niece and a nephew have both had it for their wedding cakes. (and super sly great-niece (4), went to at least half a dozen different people to take her to get a piece of cheesecake . . . . and being unaware of how much she had consumed already, they took her.)

I thought his sister had a lot of chutzpah to ask him to make TWO for her thanksgiving when we weren't having thanksgiving with her anymore . . ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrsMommy said:

Baklava. It's become something of a family joke, because so many people from different places rave about my baklava, and I don't even know what I do that makes it so amazing!

I had to listen to mil go on and on and on and . . . for years about her armenian aunt's baklava.  one year, she brought some to thanksgiving. it was pretty.   it was fine. . . . .

I enjoyed making some when mil would be around to have some.  Or i should say - I enjoyed her reaction when she ate it.  very satisfying.. . . . . . .(I use the recipe from the local greek festival cookbook.)  I could live on that cookbook . . . .  love greek food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on how much time I want to invest in cooking. The potlucks we go to are usually low on oven space to keep things warm, so I try to bring things in a crock pot. Favorites are usually barbecued meatballs and cheesy potatoes. Both very easy to make in the crockpot. I grow my own sweet corn and freeze it and that's another dish that is easy and always gone in a flash! 

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Even after all these years of reading threads like this on this forum, I have still never been to a potluck of any kind.🙂

Curious: is this because you don't attend gatherings with lots of people, or because in your circles people can afford catering?

I'm not even a church member, but we do potlucks for homeschool group, women's circle, choir party, parties at work, and whenever people host large gatherings for their friends.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

We probably go to a potluck every 2 weeks or so. I'm surprised so many people don't!

Main dish - individual meat loaves or a casserole of some kind

Potatoes - roasted with onion soup mix or cheesy potatoes

Salad - my favorite has feta and dried cranberries and onion dressing, I also like one that uses a bag of cole slaw mix and crushed ramen noodles and almonds and a dressing made with oil and sugar and the ramen seasoning packets

Hot veggie - corn casserole made with sweet corn kernels harvested and frozen from the garden (not from the store) and Jiffy cornbread mix or crock pot green beans

Fruit - tray of fresh fruit (although my family prefers a fruit salad with some kind of dressing), apple slices with a yummy cream cheese and Heath toffee bits dip

Dessert - my signature is an easy pan of chocolate chip cookie bars (just the Nestle bag recipe but baked in a flat bar pan instead of a cookies) or a lemon pound cake baked in a Bundt pan and dusted with powdered sugar

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Even after all these years of reading threads like this on this forum, I have still never been to a potluck of any kind.

But it’s fun reading about all of the foods people bring to them, anyway. 🙂

I think we need to have a WTM potluck so that you can experience one!

• Like 3

A lot of the potlucks we attend are sort of happy hour parties with appetizers and drinks.  When I am feeling industrious, I make marinated cheese. It’s beautiful, and everyone loves it.  When I am less industrious, I take the Spinach/Artichoke dip from Sam’s. For either I bring along some GF crackers. 

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/marinated-cheese-appetizer/

For a salad, in the summer I take watermelon-feta salad, and in the fall, I take a green salad with butternut squash, craisins, etc.  If am less industrious I take a yummy potato salad (has a sour cream base with BACON!) from the local barbecue joint. 

http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/watermelon-feta-salad/

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/harvest-salad-0

For a meat, I will take a pre-cooked, pre-sliced brisket from Sam’s. 

For a dessert, I take gooey butter cake.

I don’t really have a go-to side dish, however. 

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kand said:

Is the salsa actually in a bowl, or just in the bowl shaped beans and rice? Do you bring chips or something with it?

It’s all together and layered, but the layers aren’t flat so the third layer, the salsa, is just filling the rest of the bowl - the avocado just gets arranged on top. No chips - though they go well with it. It’s not a dip. When you take a serving, it’s just all mixed up - beans, rice, and fresh tomato salsa, like a cold rice salad.

• Like 2

I brought instant pot mac and cheese once last year, and it was a huge hit. Plus it's something substantial my vegetarian kiddo will eat; she often finds that the main dish items are not meat-free, so she ends up being hungry. 

I handle our co-op's registration, so I know which kids have allergies, so I often bring dessert that I know is nut free. 

I do not have one specific dish though usually it is one of several salads- tabbouleh, one of several coleslaws that are all vinegar based, fruit salad.  Other times, I just go and buy either a veggie tray (or make one) or a fruit and cheese one.  

But if it is a main, I will sometimes bring a baked ziti.  But I don't think I have been needing to bring a main in quite a few years now.

And unlike Regentrude, I do belong to a church and have approximately quarterly gatherings of another religious group.  However, I think even more frequently, I have non-church groups doing potlucks= whether it is the astronomy group or caving group or my dh's work or other groups we are associated with.  A lot of times, either the main is provided by group funds or the gathering isn't a meal but rather snacks.  

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

Curious: is this because you don't attend gatherings with lots of people, or because in your circles people can afford catering?

I'm not even a church member, but we do potlucks for homeschool group, women's circle, choir party, parties at work, and whenever people host large gatherings for their friends.

We frequently both host and attend large gatherings, but our family and friends either do all of the cooking themselves, hire catering services, or take all of the guests out to eat at a restaurant and the host pays. Nobody even thinks to bring anything because the hosts provide the food and drinks. (People do bring hostess gifts, but that’s about it. :))

I try not to repeat too often, although there are certain things for which I get specific requests (apple crisp, black bean dip). 

We're doing our holiday party/potluck lunch at work tomorrow; I'm taking mashed sweet potatoes and a wild rice mix. That second one is straight out of the bag and into my rice cooker. I was just looking for something besides the sweet potatoes that I could be sure I and the other gluten-free folks can eat.

The only potlucks I've attended were immediately after church, so what I take depends on how well it sits (or if I can cook it in the crockpot during service). Last time I took Paula Deen's Mac and cheese and it was raved about. I thought it was good, but not great. In times past, I've taken mini ham/Swiss and turkey/cheddar subs, with condiments on the side. 

I like to take my chicken salad and lettuce to make lettuce wraps. 

I often bring hot dogs in a crock pot with both regular and gf buns so my kids (gf/df, etc) have something to eat (silly boys don’t like my chicken salad). I always bring a bag of chips that I know my kids can eat. And I bring an allergy-friendly dessert. So, I end up bringing all the food my family needs plus extra to share. 🙂 

The last 2 potlucks I went to I took:

Hawai'ian rolls.

Barbecue wings (air fried then kept warm w/ sauce in crock pot)

The latter was on a day I was feeling more motivated; the former, I had other things to do before going to the potluck and didn't have time to cook.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 8:49 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I miss potlucks. They seem to be disappearing or getting so restrictive because of allergies that people give up and bring gf chips and salsa. Most now require you avoid xyz ingredients and list the full ingredients list to label your dish. People get discouraged and buy a dessert that’s labeled. For this reason I try to bring a savory side or main dish to balance the additional sugar. 

In the crowds I am in that do potlucks, the rule of thumb is to provide the ingredient list for home-cooked foods, and people with special food needs can 1. bring something they know they can eat, 2. stick to things they can read store-bought labels for, or 3. trust the ingredients people wrote down, depending on how serious their limitations are.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kassia said:

Add one more to the recipe request total - would you mind sharing?

Spanish Rice- I double it to fill my crockpot

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained

1 med onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1  14 ½ oz can tomatoes

1  16 oz can tomato sauce

¾ c water

2 tsp chili powder

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 ½ tsp salt

¾ c rice, converted; raw (Uncle Ben’s)

Stir all ingredients together.  Cover and cook on low 7-9 hrs (High for 3 hrs, then switch to low for the remaining time.)

I actually made it with orzo instead of rice once when I was sick. Lol  And I heard the meat made a big difference over the meatless ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tina said:

Spanish Rice- I double it to fill my crockpot

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained

1 med onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1  14 ½ oz can tomatoes

1  16 oz can tomato sauce

¾ c water

2 tsp chili powder

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 ½ tsp salt

¾ c rice, converted; raw (Uncle Ben’s)

Stir all ingredients together.  Cover and cook on low 7-9 hrs (High for 3 hrs, then switch to low for the remaining time.)

I actually made it with orzo instead of rice once when I was sick. Lol  And I heard the meat made a big difference over the meatless ones.

Did the orzo turn out? I have some but I don't have converted rice and don't really know what that is. Or could I use long grain rice?

Edited by AbcdeDooDah