Menu

Favorite way to make your house smell really good?

Alicia64

I don't think there's any perfect way. They all have their drawbacks. I like wax warmers (either electric or the ones you put a votive candle in) the best for smelling nice, but I worry about the chemicals I'm putting in the air. I feel a very small bit better about essential oils in diffusers, but they don't smell as strong and they're at least a bit of a worry for pets, especially cats. Baking or keeping a simmering pot of spices, citrus peel, etc. on the stove sure works well and is safe to breath, but depending on your layout and how large your house is the nice smell may pretty much stay in your kitchen. And spices can get spendy.

So . . . I guess I'll be listening for what others do. :laugh:

• Like 1

I recently learned that plug in fresheners (the kind with oil) are pretty dangerous.  They’re too close to the electrical socket and one little spark and they make a huge fire.  

I use electric candle warmers.  Melted candle wax doesn’t burn like oils do so it’s not a fire hazard.  I buy a small, expensive candle in a glass jar and set it on an electric warmer and get it all melted, then I drain off most of the wax so that the next time I want to put it on the warmer, it melts very quickly because there’s not a lot of it to melt.  Since there’s not a lot to melt, the scent gets released quickly.    

If I get the cheap candles, they release scent only the first couple of times of using them.  I have a candle that I’ve used dozens and dozens of times, and the smell is as strong as the first time I used it.  So: expensive candle, keep only a small bit of the wax, electric warmer.

Edited by Garga
  • Thanks 1

Are you looking for ideas to use everyday or for occasions like when you have people over (or are showing your house when it’s for sale)?

I ask because I would have different suggestions depending on the answer. I’m not going to simmer cinnamon and cloves every day, or bake every day, but I will for specific events.  I don’t want to burn candles when I have people over because someone might be sensitive.

3 hours ago, Garga said:

I recently learned that plug in fresheners (the kind with oil) are pretty dangerous.  They’re too close to the electrical socket and one little spark and they make a huge fire.  

I use electric candle warmers.  Melted candle wax doesn’t burn like oils do so it’s not a fire hazard.  I buy a small, expensive candle in a glass jar and set it on an electric warmer and get it all melted, then I drain off most of the wax so that the next time I want to put it on the warmer, it melts very quickly because there’s not a lot of it to melt.  Since there’s not a lot to melt, the scent gets released quickly.    

If I get the cheap candles, they release scent only the first couple of times of using them.  I have a candle that I’ve used dozens and dozens of times, and the smell is as strong as the first time I used it.  So: expensive candle, keep only a small bit of the wax, electric warmer.

Okay, this freaked me out. No more Air Wicks for me. Thank you for the warning.

So, you keep a good candle on an electric warmer? That might work.

Thank you everyone -- I lpved all the ideas!

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I save my citrus peels and simmer them with herbs from the garden and sometimes the occasional spice.  My go-to is cinnamon, cardamom pods and orange rinds.  Lately I've been simmering lemon balm and rosemary because I have so much in the garden.

I'm so glad you posted this! This is what we do, and people who come over are always exclaiming over it which makes me self-conscious.   We do it because it smells good and is on hand, not because it's "special".    You've made me feel more normal.  lol 

• Haha 1

If you're having company please be sure you're aware of any sensitivities to things like candles and essential oils. All strong scents like that (candles, perfumes, soy tabs, much worse than most essential oils but oils too) are massive migraine AND asthma triggers for me. (And my mother loves them ALL) 

If someone gives me bath things or candles I can't take them in a car or bring them inside my house (forget about using them).

If one of you people tries to explain to me the essential oil that will cure me of reacting to essential oils, I will enter a hulk-like rage (not that WTMers would do that but I have encountered it lol). 

Oh and I like lemon juice on a sponge in the microwave to make things smell clean (and clean the microwave). 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 7

Be careful with scented products due to allergies and migraines.

i know a lady whose top tip was if you are having people over or everyone’s coming home and you haven’t started dinner start frying some ginger and garlic paste.  Then it smells like dinner and you can add ginger and garlic to most stuff ...

mine is similar.  Put the coffee pot on.  If your house smells of coffee I’m happy!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Starfish said:

I'm so glad you posted this! This is what we do, and people who come over are always exclaiming over it which makes me self-conscious.   We do it because it smells good and is on hand, not because it's "special".    You've made me feel more normal.  lol 

6 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

If you're having company please be sure you're aware of any sensitivities to things like candles and essential oils. All strong scents like that (candles, perfumes, soy tabs, much worse than most essential oils but oils too) are massive migraine AND asthma triggers for me. (And my mother loves them ALL) 

If someone gives me bath things or candles I can't take them in a car or bring them inside my house (forget about using them).

If one of you people tries to explain to me the essential oil that will cure me of reacting to essential oils, I will enter a hulk-like rage (not that WTMers would do that but I have encountered it lol). 

Oh and I like lemon juice on a sponge in the microwave to make things smell clean (and clean the microwave). 

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

i know a lady whose top tip was if you are having people over or everyone’s coming home and you haven’t started dinner start frying some ginger and garlic paste.  Then it smells like dinner and you can add ginger and garlic to most stuff ...

mine is similar.  Put the coffee pot on.  If your house smells of coffee I’m happy!

This is why I stick with food products. I learned from this board that some people are allergic to the smell of citrus, but I don’t know anyone IRL with this sensitivity.  I do know people who either get headaches or allergies triggered by carpet fresh, candles, incense, etc. Herbs, spices, and citrus don’t offend anyone. (My daughter reacts to lavender, so I don’t grow or use that.) My little dip-sized crockpot gets more use as an air freshener than anything else. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

My little dip-sized crockpot gets more use as an air freshener than anything else. 

Which one do you have? I tried it once and the little crockpot I had didn't get hot enough to release much odor. If you put your nose right down to it you could smell a little, but if you were three feet away . . . nothing.

I'm getting back into doing candles.  I am sensitive to harsh fake scents (like most sprays and cleaning products), but candles don't usually bother me.  I did take a long break from my expensive candle habit, believing it was better to just have a clean house.  I guess I still believe that, but I haven't had a clean enough house to say for sure. ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Garga said:

Thanks for this warning. I recently got rid of several plug ins I'd bought at Bath and Body Works. When they weren't plugged in, I kept them on a counter near the outlet, but they'd inevitably get knocked over and then I had oil all over the counter. I pitched them. 

I bought a vey affordable candle warmer due to a WTMer's suggestion. I bet it was you, Garga! Thanks. I like it and even plug it into a timer. I will reduce the amount of wax in. Thanks for that tip!

When we have a fire in the wood stove, I often put some herbs either in water or in a pan. Smells so good!

Loving all these ideas. 

Also, agreeing with open windows. Not possible while you have company? Then air out your house before company, then try one of the ideas mentioned here. 

I do this even when it's cold and we have a fire in the wood stove (we have HVAC, but have never used it for heat. We use wood instead.) Fresh air heats up faster than stale air, or so I read years ago. Regardless, I like a blast of fresh air in my house, especially in the winter. 

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Which one do you have? I tried it once and the little crockpot I had didn't get hot enough to release much odor. If you put your nose right down to it you could smell a little, but if you were three feet away . . . nothing.

It’s red and says Kerry and Lonny’s in the front. You just have to get it hot enough to make steam. I’ve also boiled a pot on the stove then put it on low or moved it to the warming burner. I have to set alarms so I don’t forget to turn things off hours later. 

• Thanks 1

In the summer, we keep all the windows and doors open all day long.  In December we have a live Christmas tree!  The rest of the year, I generally light a candle when we have guests over.  But yeah -- we have migraines in the family big time, so I only use the faintest smelling candles.  If it doesn't give my dh a migraine, it probably won't give anyone a migraine.  I also use Thymes products -- their spray cleaners and hand soaps mostly, and they always smell lightly fresh, not heavy and artificial.  The Frasier Fir scent is my favorite.

http://www.thymes.com/Fragrances/Frasier-Fir/

I like the Williams Sonoma boil-in-the-pot recipe (I'm sorry, I can't think of what that is really called). I use the rosemary one. The others sound good, too, but I haven't bought those ingredients yet. There's a lime tree outside my window that I might try to scavenge, and there is lavender in the cathedral garden I can probably nick! lol http://myfrugaladventures.com/2013/04/diy-home-fragrance-like-a-williams-sonoma-store/

I use a diffuser and essential oils. I find there's just a couple of oils and combinations I like so I tend to stick with these but I love how easy it is. Another option is to buy some of the really strongly scented orchids. There are a few that will fill a room with scent to the point they cause headaches in some people and they last a few weeks in flower usually. I've got a few with amazing scent.

Edited by lailasmum

I use essential oils in a diffuser. I've done a ton of research on them and one diffuser for a large area  should be safe for pets, especially if they have the ability to walk away if they want to. A vet actually did lab work on her own cats, multiple times, after exposing them in order to see if they really were toxic. Just don't run it 24/7, or in a small confined space. I also often put a few drops on the air filter in my vaccum before I vaccum the house. 

17 hours ago, ***** said:

No one here uses a diffuser and essential oils?  I even saw a personal one that plugs in to the computer. A teacher was using it in her classroom, and it smelled so much better than wet boots in the middle of winter! ? 

I just got a letter from the school that the whole school system is banning essential oils.  Honestly, I'm NOT a candle person or essential oils cure anything person or a scents person.  But if I worked in a middle school, I'd be tempted to use a diffuser and a fairly innocuous oil (peppermint maybe?  citrus?) to sort of mask the smell of teenagers who haven't figured out washing and deodorant.

You can buy take and break cookies to bake as well. But nothing smells better than baking bread. I love the spice cake mix; it makes the house smell amazing. 

I make sure all my blankets and throws are freshly washed. 

You also want to change the scent from room to room so your nose enjoys a new scent. 

I also like to boil the Williams and Sonoma mix. 

I make my own cleaners and add orange essential oil and peppermint to it. Last year I made toilet fizzies that also had essential oils so they smelled good. You just throw one into the toilet and let it dissolve. 

On 10/31/2018 at 4:09 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes!  I get a migraine from incense, and no, the expensive stuff isn't any better. Scented plug ins and candles make me nauseous and some of them give me headaches. I don't like diffuses and scented oils either.  We stayed at an air BnB last month had two scented plug ins and I immediately pulled them out, opened the windows, and turned the ceiling fans on high. I really don't like going to people's houses that use them, but can't think of a polite way to tell them I don't really  want to come over if I have to smell that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Yes!  I get a migraine from incense, and no, the expensive stuff isn't any better. Scented plug ins and candles make me nauseous and some of them give me headaches. I don't like diffuses and scented oils either.  We stayed at an air BnB last month had two scented plug ins and I immediately pulled them out, opened the windows, and turned the ceiling fans on high. I really don't like going to people's houses that use them, but can't think of a polite way to tell them I don't really  want to come over if I have to smell that.

That is me too. And I had the same thing happen at an AirBnb.  Ha.  It smells good for second and then it makes me sick.   I found a great way to make my house smell good.  I bought a huge pumpkin pie last night and pumpkin cereal and my house smells amazing right now.