Menu

What type of salt do you use?

Princess5

Sea salt. Unless you eat a completely sodium-free diet, you're probably getting iodized salt in other foods you eat.

Dang it! Now I crave potato chips.

Well, I used to use the pink salt grinder from Costco but they stopped selling it! I've been upset ever since.

Oh, no! I bought some about a month ago from mine. I hope they didn't discontinue their pink Himalayan salt. I buy one for the table and cut another one open and grind it all in my Vitamix for cooking.

• Like 1

Oh, no! I bought some about a month ago from mine. I hope they didn't discontinue their pink Himalayan salt. I buy one for the table and cut another one open and grind it all in my Vitamix for cooking.

Maybe it'll come back? I was sad to see it go. They still have the pink salt in bulk. I could just buy a grinder, which is probably more environmentally friendly anyway. But it hasn't been at any of the Costcos near me the last few times I went.

• Like 1

All of them. Sea salt, kosher salt and plain iodized salt. Regular salt goes on meat before cooking, food after cooking (if needed), in baking. The other kinds go into soups and stews. Some recipes specify kosher, but otherwise I use sea salt.

• Like 2

Maybe it'll come back? I was sad to see it go. They still have the pink salt in bulk. I could just buy a grinder, which is probably more environmentally friendly anyway. But it hasn't been at any of the Costcos near me the last few times I went.

I bought one several months ago and the grinder didn't work. When I returned it they said that there had been lots of problems with the grinder so they'd been pulled from the shelves so they could resolve the problem. Last month our Costco had the salt grinders back and ours seems to be working.

All that to say, I think it's likely you haven't seen the last of them!

• Like 1

I use sea salt for most things.  About once every 2 years I buy an iodized salt for one of my cooking shakers, so we get a bit of iodine that way.  I have a box of kosher salt for a few dishes, but generally  just use the sea salt from Costco.

Well, I used to use the pink salt grinder from Costco but they stopped selling it! I've been upset ever since.

Here you go:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Himalayan-Pink-Salt-Grinder-3-pack.product.100237823.html

Our local costco carries a huge jar of ground Himalayan Pink Salt. I used it exclusively for cooking last year. Then, I got worried about iodine deficiency - so, I use 3 kinds of salt for cooking these days - the Himalayan Pink, Celtic Sea Salt and Morton Iodized salt. I rotate between the three for cooking. But, for making electrolyte drinks at home, I use the Celtic Salt or the Himalayan Pink Salt because they apparently have more mineral content in them.

• Like 1

We swap between pink Himalayan salt and Celtic sea salt (the unbleached sort). I wouldn't touch table salt or iodised table salt with a ten foot pole. Well, I know that's the salt used in any foods I buy, but it isn't my salt of choice for adding to foods at home. We mostly eat home prepared stuff anyway.

Mostly regular old Morton's. I do have containers of kosher salt and sea salt. They're several years old. I bought them thinking for some reason I should, tried them and thought "Meh. They don't taste any different than regular salt." And so they sit in the cabinet.

I do have thyroid issues but we eat out enough and use enough processed stuff that I'm not concerned with making sure I use iodized at home.

• Like 2

I mostly use Morton's iodized.  But I also have some flaky sea salt for sprinkling.  My daughter bought me some smoked salt and we like putting that on a few things.  I like playing with spices and seasonings.

I find salt very mysterious, because so many recipes call for different kinds of salt.  Sea salt, kosher salt can come in different sizes of crystal which can make the dish saltier or not salty enough, right?   Martha Stewart's recipes mostly call for "coarse salt" but there are various sizes of coarse salt.

I'm not asking anyone to answer those questions (unless anyone wants to) and certainly not asking anyone to google anything for me. :-)   I've looked it up and still come away confused.  I'm just musing on the mystery of salt.  

I use regular iodized and Kosher salt now. I used to use a really nice sea salt but we moved and I can't buy it in bulk anymore. I cook pretty much everything from scratch so I use the iodized salt in cooking and the Kosher in baking. Although, I use regular iodized salt in things with yeast as I get better rise and texture from the regular salt.

At the moment it's pink Himalayan salt, which honestly, I think is ridiculous, but I don't tend to use the salt very often, and my wife keeps buying fancy salt grinders. I just don't need more clutter, so I'm not buying any for myself, but if it were up to me we'd simply have some sort of plain iodized salt. 

ETA: and I agree with a PP - it all tastes the same to me. 

Edited by luuknam

I uses Penzey's kosher salt for general seasoning but I also keep iodized salt (store brand) for cooking and baking. When we first started using mostly kosher salt I wondered about iodine, but as a pp stated, there's enough salt in what we eat that we're probably getting the iodine we need.

Iodine is important. However, unless you eat a very unusual diet (for Americans) you get plenty of iodine - not just in processed foods, but in fish, dairy, and probably potatoes as well. (Potatoes aren't the best source of iodine, but they have more than you think, and most Americans eat a lot of them.) If you're still worried, you can get some seaweed snacks to eat - the girls love them!

Or you can just use iodized salt :)

For myself, we generally use kosher salt, because we can buy it in big ol' boxes.

• Like 3

Iodine is important. However, unless you eat a very unusual diet (for Americans) you get plenty of iodine - not just in processed foods, but in fish, dairy, and probably potatoes as well. (Potatoes aren't the best source of iodine, but they have more than you think, and most Americans eat a lot of them.) If you're still worried, you can get some seaweed snacks to eat - the girls love them!

Apparently iodine was first added to salt to only cover certain regions of the U.S. where people didn't get enough iodine (Mercy's goiter belt?). It probably is no longer necessary.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/06/why-iodine-is-added-to-salt/

• Like 1

Y'all led me down a crazy Google trail.

I now use only kosher salt, Himalayan salt, and sea salt. I really like the taste better, and it's fun to use "fancy" salts.

Now I wonder if I'm getting enough. It sounds like the amount of iodine from vegetables is variable, and we eat very little seafood. Internet information is conflicting, on whether most Americans are getting enough iodine.

My multivitamin has 75 mcg of iodine. My kids' multivitamin has 100 mcg. Maybe that's plenty with other dietary sources. Maybe not. I'm trying to decide if I want to start Spirulina again (which has 10% rda of iodine), eat some seaweed snacks, or take a kelp pill once a week. Kelp supplements have tons of iodine, but I don't want to overdo it. My kids might take Spirulina capsules, but not the kelp or nori snacks.

I'm thinking that there is a "lost in translation" thing going on here because the rock salt I'm familiar with is the kind that people put on sidewalks & driveways when it's icy. Definitely not edible!

Rock salt is the kind that is mined from rocks in mountains. They have mining operations similar to gold mining and coal mining to get slabs of salt from the mountains.

http://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/6-reasons-end-your-love-affair-himalayan-rock-salt/

• Like 1

Mostly regular old Morton's. I do have containers of kosher salt and sea salt. They're several years old. I bought them thinking for some reason I should, tried them and thought "Meh. They don't taste any different than regular salt." And so they sit in the cabinet.

I do have thyroid issues but we eat out enough and use enough processed stuff that I'm not concerned with making sure I use iodized at home.

I'm so glad you said that, because I have tried several different kinds of salt and other than when I want a crunchy texture on something like pretzels, I keep going back to good old Morton's. :)

• Like 1

Was it worth it? I've thought about trying it.

I LOVE the stuff. My daughter thinks it makes everything "taste like a campfire." It's best to add it at the table first because it has a distinctive flavor. It's not a sales gimmick. You really can taste it.

• Like 2

Did this cause anyone else to go down bunny trails on Google? :P

We use pink Himalayan salt and after this article: 

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pass-the-salt-but-not-that-pink-himalayan-stuff/

I am reconsidering.  I am thinking I will check into Costco's sea salt to see if it is genuine.  

I really think all food is trying to kill us.  Sigh.  :P ;)