Menu

Taco Tuesday....what's for dinner?

SparklyUnicorn

If ds's soccer practice gets rained out, we can join DH's very casual, family-included, office dinner out. If practice goes on, leftovers for the kids and me after practice. We have Italian sausage and kale soup from Sunday and chicken Marsala from last night. At least it's good leftovers.

Taco pie!

This is not a low fat dish! But it is delicious.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet, brown 1 lb. of ground beef; add taco seasoning, following package directions. Spread one tube of crescent rolls in a pie pan to make a crust. Bake crust for about five minutes (to ensure the bottom of the crust is not soggy when served). Top with the taco meat. Top with shredded cheese. Top with crumbled Fritos. Bake in the oven, following the temperature and time directions on the crescent roll package.  Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.

• Like 1

We're having a sort of last min thing, as I was feeling really uninspired and a little tired.

So - the last few potatoes from the garden, some mixed frozen veg sautéed in butter, and some rainbow trout.  I'm baking the trout with some sliced lemon, butter, and dill.  I'll serve it all with some sour cream on the side.

I wish we were having tacos.  Maybe tomorrow night!  We are having left over baked ziti.  I made it for dinner last night, but then no one was home for dinner, so most of the dish is ready for tonight.  Easy peasy and yummy.  

Unfortunately, I am back on track with my low carb eating, and I won't eat the pasta, so I'm not sure what I will eat.  Salad and something... I wish I had saved some of the meat sauce to have over zucchini.

We just call it Mexican as I make various fillings and kids pick and chose what they want.

Tonight's filling was ground turkey browned with onions then simmered with a can of pinto beans, diced tomatoes, and shredded sweet potato with taco seasoning.....recipe and ingredients from a cooking class mother in law took.

Pizza. Last minute change because we spent the afternoon with friends, lost track of time and got home too late to make dinner. I was okay to have a late dinner, then when we got home I realized that I am out of a key ingredient. I punted. 

Pizza and salad it is. 

The stuffed peppers will be Thursday night. 

I planned for tacos.  I have the meat ready to go in the freezer (standard hamburger this time).  I have the tortillas.  I have all the fixings except avocados, since they're bought day of.

But no, no tacos.

Instead we'll be going to a potluck, so who knows what we'll eat?

And this evening I'll get to hear my 6yo whine and complain that it's Taco Tuesday and we're not having TACOS.  And tomorrow, too, because tomorrow will be Wednesday, and therefore not nearly as good a taco day as Tuesday.  Wednesday is nacho day (to use up leftover taco fixings usually).  Unless I can convince him it's Monday tonight, this week's dinners are going to be filled with me gritting my teeth and saying "just.EAT."

We've started a new thing on Tuesday evenings where I make pizza while everyone else cleans the house. It's a great system. Everyone else eats regular pepperoni pizza, except it's halal, and I make me something different. Last night I had crema/creme fraiche, marinated red peppers (homemade) and roumi cheese.

• Like 1

Could you share your recipe, please? :)

It was literally a surprise because I had no idea how it would come out. It needs more taco-y sauce. Next time I'll use taco-seasoned tomato sauce or a can of enchilada sauce in place of some liquid.

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can corn

1 can diced tomatoes (drain liquid into measuring cup)

1/2 box small shaped pasta

1/2 cup salsa + tomato juice + water to make 2 cups

Salt

Dump, stir, 4-5 mins high pressure, QR. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.