Menu

If you could live anywhere in the US, where would you live?

mommyoffive

I love the PNW. I'm in central Maryland right now and every time we go up to Northern Maryland or through Pennsylvania I think how much I'd like to live there, the rolling hills and picture book farms are so appealing to me, with quaint small towns. Ive always thought Portland, Maine sounded appealing too but I haven't actually been there. Around the harbor in Baltimore is another one of my favorite places to go, I'd live there in a second if I didn't have little ones. Hm, I guess this is why I'll probably never settle down long term. :D

• Like 2

Right where we are. Love everything about it (except the brown tail moths...). I love the weather, being surrounded by beautiful scenery, the classic New England villages, the outdoorsy lifestyle, the laid back culture, little traffic, the beautiful ancient farmhouses, the ocean and woods, the abundance of small farms offering local produce and products...really everything.

I've lived in a lot of terrific places, but this is a case of right place, right time. I feel incredibly fortunate.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 4

Right where we live in South Central PA (near Hanover, PA).  We picked it 20 years ago because we could live wherever we wanted.  After visiting 49 of the 50 states and the eastern half of Canada, no regrets.

That said, Hawaii is awfully tempting.  It loses out due to a much higher COL and being so far away from everything.

• Like 3

Not here. Problem is, I'm not sure where. I have some specific temp requirements, cultural requirements, and the people must be at least friendly to people "not from around there." I'd like to live somewhere that was beautiful to me (that's variable, but it's not here). But I'm here and probably going to be here for several more years at least. By then I'll probably be too old to want to relocate. I've traveled a lot in the US so I'm familiar with a lot of places, just haven't found the right one yet. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 1

My ideal place to live would have to be close to mountains, have a good research university with a strong physics program, and be more liberal than the rural Midwest town I am currently in.

This pretty much narrows it down to:

Eugene, OR

Boulder, CO 

Santa Barbara, CA 

Edited by regentrude

Asheville, NC

tri city area of NC/TN/VA--Johnson City, Bristol, Kingsport

Boone, NC

I love the mountains, and I really miss living there.  Jobs aren't easy to come by, though.

I would love to spend a year in NYC, but I don't think I want to live there forever.  But a year...I would jump all over that in a second.

• Like 3

If money was no object and jobs not a concern - I'd want to do some variation of a snowbird. Up north in the summer, down south in the winter.  Maybe a different place each time.  Maybe travelling around in an RV.

I like rural, quiet, lots of woods/nature/lakes/rivers, not too hot.  I don't like very cold either but can handle it better than too hot.

• Like 4

I like Delaware. I'm 45 minutes from Philly, a little over an hour from Baltimore, NYC can be a day trip, the beach is an hour and a half away, Poconos are roughly 2 hours away, and almost my entire family is here.

Oh and there's no sales tax.

Edited by hjffkj

I have had opportunity to live in lot of different places throughout our country.  One of the biggest things about liking a place is are you willing to give liking it a chance.  We spent time outside of New Orleans and when we found out that's where we were going we thought we would hate it.  We got there and met lots of nice people and loved getting out exploring all the water and swamps.  We enjoyed going into the French Quarter during the day.  

The place I would have the hardest time living now would be in a large city where we didn't have some of our own space.  When dh has worked near large cities it has always been on the outskirts.  Neither of us overly like crowds.

1 place I would still like to live for awhile would be Sedona Az area.  We drove through there on a cross country trip and didn't take enough time there.

If money was no object and jobs not a concern - I'd want to do some variation of a snowbird. Up north in the summer, down south in the winter.  Maybe a different place each time.  Maybe travelling around in an RV.

I like rural, quiet, lots of woods/nature/lakes/rivers, not too hot.  I don't like very cold either but can handle it better than too hot.

This is what we've ended up doing and really, really love.  We still "live" here so hubby can maintain his business and we can keep our friends + my part time job, but we travel to oodles of places and enjoy it a bit.

Originally we thought we would relocate when the empty nest time came.  Now it's more enjoyable to just travel to different places for various lengths of time (all within a month, but not just a weekend or week).

If I could manage it, we'd skip the jobs and live on the road 24/7, but I'm not that good tweaking the finances and I don't think the Apocalypse would get here before we maxed out our credit cards.   :lol:

• Like 3

It seems like this question came up in a similar post not long ago, but I don't mind answering it again.

I would move 30-45 minutes south of where I live now. That's it. This is home and I have no desire to leave. Family and friends are here. I hate, HATE, cold weather. We're a bit farther north than the people we want to be near, so I want to move to a city in the central part of my county. 

• Like 2

right where we are, in a small college city in upstate NY.  I love upstate NY. It's got absolutely beautiful mountains and beaches and gorges. You can hike, camp, ski and go boating. It's got lots of farmland and there is a thriving local food community.  It's a days drive to many major cities like NYC, Philly, DC, Boston, Portland, Montreal or Ottawa. I even like the winters, lol. I love doing things like cutting down our own Christmas tree and making snowmen, or taking evening walks on a snowy evening. I can deal with shoveling, and with climate change, I hardly ever have to do it anymore. I don't think I had to shovel once this past winter.

I love my town. It's a quirky, artsy place full of things and people I wouldn't find anywhere else. There is a joke that the city is "10 square miles surrounded by reality" and that's just fine with us. The city is thriving, so something is working.

I sometimes wish I could live in NYC, because I adore it there. But, I think we've got the best of both worlds here. The city is close enough that we can take a weekend trip, but far away enough that it doesn't actually impact our daily lives in any way.

I mean, this is literally a 10 min walk from my front door.  I used to live right next to it.

http://nyfalls.com/waterfalls/ithaca-falls/

• Like 4

I must be one of only a handful of people who has no desire to live in or near mountains. I've lived where there are mountains, small ones, but still mountains (northern NJ, north GA) and while they're pretty to visit, I don't want to live where the land blocks my view. I love being able to see for miles and miles and miles like good old Flat Florida allows me to do. I've never been to a prairie state, but I imagine it's the same there - On a clear day, you can see forever :)

Two sets of song lyrics in this post :D

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

I'm happy in AZ. Granted, our city is not very "green", lots of brown since it's desert area, but I'm ok with that. And we have our gorgeous AZ sunsets :). If we want to see mountains, snow etc we can drive a couple hrs north. I have thought of this in the past... I can't stand rain, tornados, humidity, extreme cold/snow, I need sunlight...for many reasons AZ works for me :)

• Like 1

Thanks to dh's job, we actually *can* live anywhere in the U.S. (or world, for that matter). We've stayed in the St. Louis area because we love it so much. Yes, there is a time every year in July where I threaten to move very, very north, but other than that, we're very happy here. The cost of living is low, there's tons of stuff to do in the city (and many things are free!), we're a good distance from both sets of parents, plus, the Cardinals. We really have no desire to go anywhere else.

• Like 1

I am happy where we are in Eastern, Washington its alway sunny, their is no humidity, no mosquitos, temps are mild and the wine is amazing. I would probably move about an hour out into the country near one of the lakes or rivers

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

I love the PNW. I'm in central Maryland right now and every time we go up to Northern Maryland or through Pennsylvania I think how much I'd like to live there, the rolling hills and picture book farms are so appealing to me, with quaint small towns. Ive always thought Portland, Maine sounded appealing too but I haven't actually been there. Around the harbor in Baltimore is another one of my favorite places to go, I'd live there in a second if I didn't have little ones. Hm, I guess this is why I'll probably never settle down long term. :D

Hey--me, too! We lived in the PNW and loved it. Since that is too far away from family, we'd rather be Maryland or even Pennslyvania (eastern). We are in NY, in a beautiful, but crazy stressful, too cold for me , area.
  • Like 1

On the water in Bird Rock/La Jolla. I like to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Moderate climate year-round, no humidity, no bugs, plenty of things to do in the city, easy access to the airport for travel.

Something like this: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5672-Dolphin-Pl-La-Jolla-CA-92037/16855592_zpid/

• Like 2

I've always wanted to homestead in the wilderness of Alaska.  Now that I'm in my 50s, that's not likely to ever happen.  However, we do live in northern, ME, and we are semi-homesteading.  Our weather isn't that much different than Alaska, so I guess I'm as close as I'm ever going to get.

• Like 2

I must be one of only a handful of people who has no desire to live in or near mountains. I've lived where there are mountains, small ones, but still mountains (northern NJ, north GA) and while they're pretty to visit, I don't want to live where the land blocks my view. I love being able to see for miles and miles and miles like good old Flat Florida allows me to do. I've never been to a prairie state, but I imagine it's the same there - On a clear day, you can see forever :)

Two sets of song lyrics in this post :D

I'm the exact same way! My husband loves the mountains but they make me feel claustrophobic. Now, in a big valley surrounded by mountains would be nice..so they are in the distance, not all towering over me. Too many trees makes me feel the same way. I think I'd love a prairie. This is I think the prettiest type of landscape, but I'd freeze.

northforkoftheblackfoot.jpg

• Like 3

Honestly?  I live very close to Creekland, and I'm with her -- who wants to live anywhere else?

COL is reasonable.  I live in the country (and that's the worst part -- that it takes at least twenty minutes to get anywhere -- but that's also the best part too), and it's gorgeous here!  I love the mountain backdrops and the gentle hills and the stunning sunsets.  I love that it's really dark outside at night and easy to see stars.  It's quiet here.  People are friendly.  The libraries and parks are awesome.  The community is homeschooling friendly.  It's easy to be to major cities within a couple of hours.  I've personally found medical care to be excellent, especially for children.  The area is "granola crunchy" friendly without being extreme.  I get all four seasons -- I would not want to live too far south, because the summers are too hot for me, and too far north has too much winter for my liking, but right here is perfect, and spring and fall are heavenly.  I love all the historic buildings and quaint little towns and everything.  Food is fabulous here -- local stuff galore from adorable little markets and creameries but also lots of selections in the grocery stores (which are very nice), and amazing restaurants of various types.  We're never lacking for things to do and see as a family.  

Today I was driving, and I chuckled because I passed a sign that said "Old Orchard Road" and right after it, one that said "Old Mountain Road."  Stuff like that is so common here.  It always makes me smile, the whispers of a bygone era in everything.

• Like 2

My main thing is I need sunshine. NEED it. Three cloudy days in a row and I'm a huge grump. But I don't like super dry, I think because I grew up near the Everglades and got accustomed to fresh water being around. So sunny, with lots of water or at least green stuff not dessert. Doesn't have to be hot, just sunny. And not too cold. Not much traffic. Not Orlando, that's for sure. I hate it here...to much cement, bad drivers, etc. 

Small town near a medium sized city would be fine. 

• Like 2

On the water in Bird Rock/La Jolla. I like to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Moderate climate year-round, no humidity, no bugs, plenty of things to do in the city, easy access to the airport for travel.

Something like this: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5672-Dolphin-Pl-La-Jolla-CA-92037/16855592_zpid/

You and me both. Perhaps we can pool our piggybanks and try to come up with that 7-8 million they want for that pad...?

• Like 1