Menu

Do you buy presents used...

bettyandbob

Dd18 has been wanted a bag that retails for $250. It's made in the UK. I was looking on eBay and found several for sale ranging in price from $40-$150. Some are new with tags, some new without tags, used once, etc. the chance of finding new with tags in the right size and color is not likely.

So, would you give something like this without tags. It would be the main present. She might get a couple stocking stuffer gifts -- under $10. If the "big" present must be new. I probably won't get this new and figure out somethingelse.

Edited by Diana P.

I have and will this year, too.

I bought books that were "like new" for our young relatives, and books that were "very good" for my own children.

I also bought used dvds for my kids this year.  Um... and the block sets I bought (and the Harry Potter legos) were also gently used.

Dang...I buy used a lot!

• Like 3

Yes.

DS wants and needs expensive equipment for his various sports. He knows the costs, he knows what specifics are beneficial, he knows how to comparison shop and how to work within reasonable financial limits. He would much rather get a used item that comes with specific components than a new one without.

The research and the hunt for the best deal are really fun to him. If he can score the pair of $150 skis he's been eyeing for $15 at a swap he's over the moon. It doesn't matter one bit that they might be scuffed up if they otherwise meet his specific needs. Used is perfectly fine under the tree, as are homemade "gift cards" for said item to be purchased after the holidays when the price goes down.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that our oldest is 5.

I can count on one hand the number of new gifts we've purchased for them. This is the first year that the oldest 2 (3 and 5 yo) *might* get a new gift.

Getting used things is completely normal to them. Could we get them new things? Yes. But we are pretty crunchy (note: I don't like that term) and prefer to get used whenever possible.

That being said, I wouldn't do it for gifting to others. 

• Like 2

Sometimes. It depends on the circumstances. But we don't always adhere to strict secrecy and "don't look until the big occasion" around here, so it's possible to say "Look, this is my budget for Christmas, and here is your list, with prices. Would you rather I buy this costly item used, or that you only get that one thing, or that I cut it off the list and get you something else?"

Kinda moot this year, they both requested vintage clothes. This is because they've discovered the joys of raiding Mom's closet... and were amazed to find out that I stole their favorite items from my mother 20 years ago! (And some of them from my sister, who stole them from my mother. And one of them from my sister, who stole it from my mother, who stole it from her brother.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

I would and have.  DS wanted a compound bow and spending $200-$500 on one wasn't going to happen. I walked into our thrift store and found exactly what he wanted for $50.  He was thrilled.

My niece is getting a used book this Christmas - an original Pleasant Company (now AG) play book.

Gifts are given because the giver hopes the recipient enjoys them.  That is enough in my mind.  If a person complains, then it's time to sit down and talk about the intent and appreciating that.

• Like 3

I buy used in day to day life, as do my kids, I would without hesitation for my own. Now for dh's family it would depend on what it was, antiques or collectibles would be fine anything else I wouldn't. My own family, no issue, my mom shops used all the time.

• Like 3

For immediate family, yes. For my family yes. For dh's family, never. They don't buy used items for themselves so I assume they wouldn't appreciate used as a gift. All of the big gifts this year for my kids are used. I wouldn't have been able to get them what they wanted otherwise.

• Like 3

Depends on the person.  Younger dd would prefer used because it would be recycling.  Older dd and dh would prefer a good deal, and if that means used they would be fine with that and applaud the giver's ability to find the item used.

Most of dh's family would be highly offended and bear a grudge for years to come.  They've been scarred by a family member who has tried to pass of used or free stuff as carefully-shopped-for new things. (One year my Christmas present from this person still had the birthday card stuck in it from when it was received by him/her and apparently pitched in the closet for later re-gifting -- which I thought was hilarious, btw, but illustrates the careless manner in which this person carries out gift-giving.)

edited for typos

Edited by GailV
  • Like 4

If I could be sure the item was of the desired quality/authenticity, I'd consider buying it for my dd.  I would not buy used for anyone outside of our immediate family.  I've tried to teach dd14 and my younger kids a bit about bargain hunting, not paying more than what something is really worth to me even though we could afford to buy new, and appreciating a shopping victory :).

• Like 2

If the recipient picked something used then we happily pay for it if the used price is doable. We don't buy used sight unseen which is why I pay more at used book stores than what Amazon used prices may be.

So garage sale, book sale are non-issue. Ebay we avoid just because we can't see and touch before transacting.

• Like 1

I was going to post to say that I definitely bought used when the children were small as they would have had no idea. But then I remembered a few years ago, my eldest wanted a pea coat and there no way I could afford a new one. Instead I bought him a vintage navy pea coat off ebay that he thought was beyond amazing. So my answer is yes, go for it.

ETA: this was also his big gift for the year

Edited by slr1765
  • Like 1

Yes, but I also openly explained that I could get a specific gift used and she would get other gifts or new and that would be her only gift. She opted for used.

I think this is an excellent approach. Why not just ask your dd if a used bag would be okay with her? You could probably find a clever way to ask her about it if you want the gift to be a surprise.

My suspicion is that if she has a choice between "like new" bag and "no bag," the used one will sound like a good option. And no one else has to know about it as long as it looks like new. :)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

Youngest likes lots of stuff. So some people are going to just get him stuff, from the thrift store, presents their kids outgrew. 

He doesn't care if it is used or not. 

We did get a laugh at my mom because she always re-uses the same birthday card. But when Youngest turned ten she forgot to update it with a new post it note. So it said something like, "Happy 7th birthday". (He was turning 10)

• Like 1

I do think that "used" presents can be valued less, but we give them anyway for immediate family. Dd got a used SodaStream for her birthday, and will be getting a used FitBit for Christmas. The boys are getting some used puzzles/game and one is getting a used computer. In the past they've received a used game system. I think they realize they get nicer & more stuff when they get used. We gift used book often.

I don't normally buy gifts for my father anymore, but dh saw something he *thought* my dad would love in the store and bought it for him. Then he ordered another one so my dad would have a complementary set. My dad opened the gifts, had a funny look on his face, and then said, "Well, I do know how you guys find stuff at thrift stores." We had to explain that we paid retail for his  gift and even ordered part of it. :( Dh's mom gets it, though, because she shops in thrift stores herself. In fact one year when we were all poor we had a Goodwill Christmas where we each had like a $5 or $10 spending limit on each other and were encouraged to buy used.

• Like 1

My dd was very into specific brands and labels for awhile. The only way that worked was to buy them used. I was completely successful in getting her the items she wanted at a price we could afford. She was actually the one who suggested buying used, so I knew from the start she wouldn't be disappointed. 

I have given used books, clothes, musical instruments, bikes, and who knows what else. Often we can afford a higher quality item by buying it used. I only give used to my immediate family and only when I'm confident they won't mind.

• Like 3

depends upon the item.  yes I give items off ebay, I believe in not paying retail. why should i pay the mark-up? 

I have a number of items purchased off ebay (or amazon), for a deep discount of the retail sale prices.  condition ranges from new to excellent.

the only time I will purchase something in a store - is if returning it is likely to be an issue.

and nwotags - if that's the purse she wants - go for it.  (I got dd the saucepan she wants. nwobox,  for half the retail price.  and another one I'll give her for her bd in early jan.)

eta: this dd has learned how to really stretch her own dollar by me going this route.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I think this is an excellent approach. Why not just ask your dd if a used bag would be okay with her? You could probably find a clever way to ask her about it if you want the gift to be a surprise.

My suspicion is that if she has a choice between "like new" bag and "no bag," the used one will sound like a good option. And no one else has to know about it as long as it looks like new. :)

alot of stuff that simply never sold in the main retail store, can end up with resellers on ebay (or amazon).  it's new, like-new (e.g. open box returns), new with no tags, etc.  so, while it's called 'used', it's not really.  sometimes it has the box/tags, and sometimes it doesn't.

• Like 3

Popping back now. I was at work all day.

Dd18 does shop thrift stores and consignment shops. A few years ago I took her to an upscale consignment shop because I knew we'd be able to get more there than at Kohls and she needed a lot of clothes at the time. Since then she and a friend regularly hit Goodwill and a few other places every few months or so. She got her prom dress for $20. Do, she isn't opposed to used.

I Guess dh doesn't think used is good for a present. Apparently he doesn't know I've bought books used as presents. Dh is also concerned that sellers on eBay are selling counterfeits and since I can't see in person there's no way to tell.

The brand dd likes is Cambridge Satchel.

• Like 1

It depends on who I'm buying for.  If it were for me, or bought for me, it would be awesome.  I don't mind used in the least.  Some other people I know who feel the same way, I would buy used. 

Best BD present I ever got was a girl who bought me a huge box of books at the library sale.  Total awesome sauce.

My mother, I'm sure, would be offended.  But presents are a big deal to her.

• Like 1

Maybe...depends what it is. My kids have a habit of asking for things that you can longer get in the stores. So I might get those used on ebay.

Thrift stores here are useless..so I don't get many bargains there. My kids don't mind getting things from there though if we do find something they want. They like thrift stores because they know I am more likely to say yes to buying it.

Things my kids want that I totally don't think are worth the money are bought used.

There are some things I never by used...just because it creeps me out...pyjamas, stuffed toys, shoes, bed linen and blankets.....anything my kids are going to snuggle.

That being said...I like to buy my kids new stuff for Christmas as they get a lot of used during the year. I shop sales,so I can do this.

For a purse...I would buy it used. I'm not a purse person myself so don't see the point of buying something that expensive when something else does the same job for heaps cheaper...so that would be a used gift for sure or the kid would be asked to pay for some of it.

• Like 2

Sometimes.  We've gotten our kids things like cross country skis and hockey skates used.  They don't even look new, at all.  They look very used, but my kids knew that was the only way we could afford them, and they were thrilled to have them!

• Like 2

Dd18 has been wanted a bag that retails for $250. It's made in the UK. I was looking on eBay and found several for sale ranging in price from $40-$150. Some are new with tags, some new without tags, used once, etc. the chance of finding new with tags in the right size and color is not likely.

So, would you give something like this without tags. It would be the main present. She might get a couple stocking stuffer gifts -- under $10. If the "big" present must be new. I probably won't get this new and figure out somethingelse.

I would not buy a luxury item that has tags on it being sold on eBay, because I'd be concerned about its provenance (stolen or fake).

However we have bought used sports equipment for the kids and frequently buy books used.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

Sometimes. It depends on the circumstances. But we don't always adhere to strict secrecy and "don't look until the big occasion" around here, so it's possible to say "Look, this is my budget for Christmas, and here is your list, with prices. Would you rather I buy this costly item used, or that you only get that one thing, or that I cut it off the list and get you something else?"

Same here. I don't like the 'stuff for the sake of getting stuff' mentality. I'd much prefer getting what I really want, used, than getting something I don't really want, new.

• Like 2

Yes. I do.

I bought a lot of Bitty Baby stuff used, LEGO stuff, clothing, home items...and given them as gifts. There are two people in my life I won't do that for, but it's more about their attitude than the gift.

Most people in my life appreciate the thought,effort, etc. More than new with tags. A couple prefer new with tags over thought or effort.

• Like 1

Only if a second-hand gift is an element of the family culture and even then, be careful. I agree with the suggestion to tell DD about this possibility. I am not a fan of trying to pass off a second-hand gift as new and I don't like for used things to be de facto. This is a problem if the item is damaged or otherwise unsuitable - there is no exchange or refund usually.

• Like 1

Depends on the person. Younger dd would prefer used because it would be recycling. Older dd and dh would prefer a good deal, and if that means used they would be fine with that and applaud the giver's ability to find the item used.

Most of dh's family would be highly offended and bear a grudge for years to come. They've been scarred by a family member who has tried to pass of used or free stuff as carefully-shopped-for new things. (One year my Christmas present from this person still had the birthday card stuck in it from when it was received by him/her and apparently pitched in the closet for later re-gifting -- which I thought was hilarious, btw, but illustrates the careless manner in which this person carries out gift-giving.)

edited for typos

Just wanted to say, I understand this because I have been scarred by unsuitable used gifts, too. It is why I don't try and pass off used things as new. My mother has disappointed me countless times with unsuitable used gifts (for me or my husband and kids). Things that were broken. Things that were dirty. Things that were illogical fr the recipient.

I buy used things very often, but for Christmas and birthdays, it is less common. I only do this if I have discussed it with the kid and they understand the thing will be used. I hardly ever buy new snow equipment, for example, so when I have bought board boots or snowboards, they are from Play It Again and are used.

• Like 1

My son has this huge list of Lego City sets that he wants. I told him money was tight this year and I could afford about $20 for Legos. What he doesn't know is that someone donated Legos to my sister's adoption fund yard sale and I spent that $20 on a small Uhaul moving sized box of loose Lego City pieces. He will be blown away. And I don't have to deal with all the packaging.

• Like 4