Menu

How many grocery stores do you usually go to?

3 ladybugs

I get groceries at four different stores.  I also sometimes buy produce from the farmer's market or Bountiful Baskets.  My four stores are Kroger, Sprouts, Sam's, and a salvage store.  I end up going to each of the four about once a month.  Each store provides very different items. My dh goes to Kroger and Sams on his own and gets items, as well. 

ETA:  About every other month, I drop by Aldi.  I don't ever go to all of these stores in one day.

:blink:

No. I mostly go to just two: a Sprouts and an H.E.B. (a Texas-based chain), both within five miles of my house. If I'm going to be further south in Austin, I'll go to Central Market (similar to Whole Foods, owned by H.E.B). I might even go there on purpose, but usually only once a month (they have wonderful bacon, lol).

• Like 1

I shop at 6 or 7 different stores, but never all on one day.    Two in a day is my limit.  Maybe three if I'm out in the morning and then maybe in the later afternoon or evening.

But I also shop more than twice a month.  I'm in a store at least three times a week.  That's not ideal for me but it's better than trying to cram it all in to one day.  I can't even imagine shopping only twice a month.   It just wouldn't work for us.

• Like 3

I regularly shop at three, but not all the same week. We also have a steer in the freezer and I sometimes hit the farmer's market. There are two more grocery stores that I shop at occasionally if I need something specific like spices or a specialty ingredient.

I hit Costco and a grocery store in the Kroger family. Occasionally I visit a grocery that has inexpensive produce, bulk, and health food type items. Only very rarely do I visit more than one store in the same day. I generally alternate Costco and the Kroger store, shopping every 5-7 days (or as we run low on milk).

Well I do a bit of fill in from a traditional grocery maybe once a week. For the most part, I do not buy food from large grocery stores!  We eat a lot of seasonal produce from local farms, seafood from one of two fishmongers, basics from a food co-op, chicken from either the co-op or the local butcher.  I buy my wine from the local wine shop; my husband brews his beer.  I may go to Trader Joes or Whole Foods once every two months or so.

Last week I went to the co-op, the homebrew store, one fishmonger, one farm store and the butcher; and I bought three items from the traditional grocery.   So shall we call it six "grocery" stops for the week?  Sounds hectic but it was not since the smaller shops are anything but hectic.

We live in the downtown district of our city, so we have several options, but only really frequent a couple store.

Regularly we hit Costco and Publix. Publix is a bit further from us, so if I need something quick I'll just run into Bi-Lo. 

Once a month or so we'll hit Fresh Market.

Well I do a bit of fill in from a traditional grocery maybe once a week. For the most part, I do not buy food from large grocery stores!  We eat a lot of seasonal produce from local farms, seafood from one of two fishmongers, basics from a food co-op, chicken from either the co-op or the local butcher.  I buy my wine from the local wine shop; my husband brews his beer.  I may go to Trader Joes or Whole Foods once every two months or so.

Last week I went to the co-op, the homebrew store, one fishmonger, one farm store and the butcher; and I bought three items from the traditional grocery.   So shall we call it six "grocery" stops for the week?  Sounds hectic but it was not since the smaller shops are anything but hectic.

fish mongers? local butcher?

You are living in paradise.

• Like 5

I go to Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter, Aldi, Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck Foods.  

But I only go to one at a time.  For example, I might go to Giant and buy a week's worth of food, and then the next week go to Trader Joe's and buy a week's worth of food.  The only way I'd probably go to 2 in the same day is if there was something specific I wanted at WF's because WF's is too expensive to do all my shopping there.  

• Like 2

It's been different everywhere we've lived. Here I walk to a little tienda or a street market three or four times a week. In DC, I walk to BJs or an Asian grocery two or three times a week and to a Mexican grocery everyone month or so. In Seattle I'd walk to a produce market once a week, to a grocery store for milk and eggs once a week, and I'd go to Winco and fill up the car every three months. I'd try to go to the International District for Asian groceries when I could. In a town in Kyrgyzstan, I'd walk to the bazaar three or four times a week and stop at four or five different spots inside. In Bishkek I mostly shopped at a convenience store on the corner and in a little bazaar next door. In Charlottesville I'd drive to the grocery store once a week and sometimes I'd stop by Trader Joe's and an Asian grocery on a different day. If there's a Whole Foods around, I go there for peanut butter as needed.

If I'm walking, I'm willing to stop at more places. If I'm driving, I usually just go to one place.

• Like 1

Usually, I go to 4. The fruit and veg market, the butchers, Aldi, and then Coles or Woolworths (The two australian standard grocery stores)  for anything aldi doesn't stock. 

My mum used to go to just as many but she would be in the one shopping complex/mall

It varies.

Lately, I've been seeing the inside of Trader Joes 3-4 times a month, Costco every month or two, Grocery outlet 2-3 times a month, Winco 1x a month, Cash and Carry every few months and Safeway for a few things many days of the week. We've also been to upick places once a week, filling the freezer with fruit for the fall and winter.

I buy most of my groceries at one store, but stop briefly at two others most weeks to pick up ad specials.  They are all within a mile of my house.

Once a month or so, I shop at another store to buy things the above three don't sell (jumbo packs of nori sheets, bulk herbs, plum paste, etc.).

Oh, and Trader Joe's about twice a month.

I average twice a week these days, but one grocery store, plus one warehouse club.  Sometimes I can get it done once a week.  A shopping trip usually takes me to both places because I seldom buy meat at my grocery store and get that at Sam's Club.

But they are right across the street from each other, so I have to exit the van twice, but it's not really time consuming to stop at both. Especially if I can hit Sam's in the plus member hours- I can zip in, get what I need, self-check, and be out of there in about 5 minutes. 

2 usually, sometimes up to 4 throughout the week.

Main: Kroger @ night for clearance deals

Secondary: Randalls for particular premade salads and clearance deals

Others: HEB due to proximity and certain k-cup coffee (don't judge) and Walmart if I need other WalMart stuff

I go to several, but most of my stuff comes from two. Sam's every other week for the same bulk items every time. The commissary every 7-10 days for my 'normal, big-haul' groceries. Twice a month I'll swing by a couple of small stores that actually have organic or specialty type items. Aldi or Wal-Mart if I'm desperate. :)

1-3

Pretty much every week, Aldi. Probably 3/4 of the time, I also go to either Giant or WalMart for whatever Aldi doesn't have. I try to keep WM to once a month and Giant to 3 or 4 times a month. Sometimes I'll go to another small chain instead of Giant. (I live near nothing, so everything is at least twenty minutes, and I calculate which stores to go to based on what else I need to do where.). I hit one of two local farm markets and/or a local creamery (those three items are actually all very close to me, like just a couple of minutes away) sometimes. It all depends on how much money I have, what we are out of, what other errands I need to do, and whether or not I have five children with me. The mental energy I put into managing days out is pretty extensive. So, I might hit as many as five places in a week, but it's more likely to be two (plus stops at a different Giant if I need DH to pick up something on his way home).

I used to have a BJ's membership (no Costco or Sam's close enough to be worthwhile), but even that is in a completely different direction from how I usually go. I did like going there about once a month, though, but I actually think Aldi has comparable prices, per ounce, to what I used to get at BJ's, and Giant's sales are as good as or better than BJ's. Oh, and toilet paper and a few other staples, namely my Stevia, come via Subscribe-N-Save from Amazon.

There are two in my town, Walmart and a local store. I mostly shop Walmart and do the local for items Walmart doesn't carry. 

I do shop at another in a different town when I take my mom to the grocery. I buy very little there as they are more expensive. They do have fresh bagels, which our stores don't and they carry a dog food the others don't. 

3 in town and Sam's in another town

I mostly shop at Kroger, but an Ingle's is on our way home from church and right by where my co-op meets.  There's another small store in town, that I stop at occasionally.  We went to Sam's today, but we only go there 1-2 times a month. 

I really like Dekalb Farmer's Market in Atlanta, Trader Joe's, and Aldi, but I'm rarely near them. I'll go if I am, though.

• Like 2

I go to one grocery store for my main shopping.  About once a month I go to a store a little farther away to get specialty gluten-free items.  And there's a third grocery store (located in the opposite direction of the other two) that I will stop at for milk and bread and whatever we may have run out of.

Wow, looks like we are the exceptions.  Once or twice a week to Shoprite for our main shopping.  Maybe a stop at Kings or A&P if it's a last minute need.  Kings is closest to home but is a more expensive "gourmet" grocery store, A&P is on dh's way home from work.  I might go to Pathmark from work if I want to stock up on snacks or stuff for lunch but that's usually a once a month thing when I have the time to go at lunchtime.

When we belonged to BJ's we'd go there once or twice a month in addition to Shoprite. 

This isn't due to lack of options.  We have at least 5 or 6 different grocery stores within 5 miles (ShopRite, Pathmark, Stop & Shop, A&P, Aldi's, Foodtown - although Foodtown and A&P are shutting down).  Whole Foods and Trader Joes are within 10 miles.  Then we have at least three Walmarts within 10 miles and two Targets.  And tons of smaller shops like butchers, bakers, exotic meats, produce stores, farmers markets, etc.  We also have Sam's Club, BJ's and Costco within 10 miles.

On a regular weekly basis, two: Stop & Shop and a great little upscale neighborhood market where I get all my meat and seafood, as well as any sale items I might need. About once a month, maybe less, I hit Whole Foods or Trader Joes or a local food coop that I belong to, only because they are all about a half hour away from me.

On a weekly basis one or two supermarkets depending on what I need.

Once or twice a month I make the trip to the specialty store for those items I can only get there or I order them online.

Twice a month to the poultry farm.

A quarterly trip to costco.

Each week I make one big stop, usually at Meijers, then smaller pit stops at Butera, Jewel, Aldi and  Caputos.  I also, about once a month, go to Woodman's and Trader Joe.  I also, as needed, go to the Indian store in town, and/or the store specializing in Laos/Vietnamese/Thai food.  Butera is great for high quality, lower cost meats, and decent produce (plus lots of Hispanic items) but too pricey for canned goods etc.  Jewel has our pharmacy, and carries the kitty litter the cats allow to grace their box, also decent Perdue roasters - although too $$$ for everything else.  Caputos has a lot of good Italian foods and a great bakery section and deli.  Woodmans's is best of all, but so huge I can not do the entire store. Plus, like TJ, it is the farthest to get to (30 minutes).  Everyplace else is 10 minutes or less from home.  Oh, and I am not above getting food at the Walmart in town if I need other stuff there too.  So I have a surplus of stores here in Elgin, n/w Illinois.  Five stores I shop regularly, another four (not counting Walmart) less often.

Might as well add, I go to the store more often now that BOTH hand-me-down upright freezers in the basement are busted, and there is only so much meat, bread and ice cream (a staple here) that I can fit in the fridge/freezer in the kitchen.  Which is full already with a year's supply of frozen seasonal cheap berries which I would not have frozen had I known I would be w/o a basement freezer, aargh!

• Like 1

6 in one day??? :svengo:

I use one. We have the option of 3 brands in an hour radius (if you count Walmart as a grocery store). We do have some produce stands also... Many of those tend to purchase their merchandise at the grocery and up the prices... So, I use one at a time. I have the one near the house that is my normal. I pick up stuff at wAlmart if I happen to be there for something else. I make the trip down the road a ways if I want crab cakes, because theirs are far superior.

6? Wow. One day???

• Like 1

I'd guess 50% Food Lion, 20% Trader Joes, 20% Costco, 10% miscellaneous (Wegman's, farmers market, ethnic markets). The food lion is small and the least expensive and I can walk there in about 6-7 minutes or drive there in 2-3 minutes. I love that I can get in and out quickly. The Farmers' Market sets up in that parking lot once a week, so it's nice and easy for me. My Costco and Trader Joe's are next to one another about 5 miles away so I get to those stores every other week or so.

I don't store-hop for sales, but I try to stock up when my regular stores go through their normal sale cycle.

3 in town and Sam's in another town

I mostly shop at Kroger, but an Ingle's is on our way home from church and right by where my co-op meets. There's another small store in town, that I stop at occasionally. We went to Sam's today, but we only go there 1-2 times a month.

I really like Dekalb Farmer's Market in Atlanta, Trader Joe's, and Aldi, but I'm rarely near them. I'll go if I am, though.

If you're ever near the Buford Highway Farmers Market (right outside 285 on BuHi), you should check it out. Huge and entertaining. Your DeKalb Farmers Market is doing a renovation/expansion.

I usually hit Costco, Trader Joe's, and Publix on a weekly basis. WF once a month maybe. Sprouts occasionally. Farmers markets when I can.

Woodmans's is best of all, but so huge I can not do the entire store. Plus, like TJ, it is the farthest to get to (30 minutes). 

I love Woodman's because it has good quality meats and produce and also low prices on dry goods and dairy stuff.  It's my favorite- but it's also 45 minutes away.  Now that we're not driving in to R'ford several times a week I have to shop locally instead of Woodman's. Bummer.