Menu

dealing with sibling death - update in edited #1

EmilyGF

So sorry you and your family are going through this. 

I'm a pediatrician and I don't think you are nuts at all. I've seen several families go through the death of a baby or child and each family grieves in their own way. In my experience, what seems to most important is that people are allowed to grieve. Even if the baby wasn't at home, it's not like his siblings wouldn't be grieving. 

I can't give better advice than the advice given earlier by those who have lived through something similar. I think the idea for contacting hospice is a great one.I was going to also suggest you could talk to your pediatrician, who might have resources for counselors for the kids. It might even be good to have them talk to someone before the birth so they are comfortable with the person ahead of time. I don't know who at the hospital you've talked to, but unless they are the people who made you feel like you were nuts, you might call the NICU and ask them if they have any contacts for siblings. They definitely deal with infant death all the time and usually have counselors who are available for families. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, this must be difficult to go through. I think bringing the baby home is the right thing.

As far as counseling, you may want to check with hospice in your area. My local hospice has excellent grief counseling and has support groups. If yours doesn't they probably maintain a list of grief counselors.

Our youngest had Trisomy 18 and died in utero at 22 weeks. Our plan had been to bring him home. We had only known for 2 weeks so it all happened pretty fast for us.  My then 3 yo doesn't remember anything from that time (he is 8 now). Our older kids do remember and no matter how long your baby lives for, your kids have a sibling that they will love and lose. I think finding a supportive team now is key. Talk to hospice and get a team lined up who has some experience with babies. I am so sorry you have to go through this. You are absolutely doing the right thing. Hugs.

One of my best friends had a baby with trisomy 18 last year. I was amazed by how much pressure to abort they received, and how condescending the medical staff was in light of their refusal. They stayed strong, and we're able to spend a blessed hour with their son before he passed away.

I'm the mom of a severely disabled child, who wasn't expected to live more than a few years. You've made the main decision, now just allow yourself flexibility while walking it out. Let this be a season of trusting yourself and whatever decisions you find yourself needing to make along the way.

:grouphug: 

Have you checked online support groups? I think you are going in the right direction.

I know the prognosis is low for reaching first birthday, however, my ds (down syndrome) attended a special needs preschool will a boy who had trisomy 18. The boy is 11 now. Sometime after preschool her dh's career took them to England and then Brazil. I think they are back in the states on the west coast now. They have 2 younger dc so initially they didn't have any siblings to prepare or explain to. The boy has significant needs, but he's doing well and the family is doing well. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know there are other outcomes. It's hard to imagine when you just see statistics.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know the dynamics of how things went down in our house in terms of sibling grief.

In terms of resources:

*www.castingkeepsakes.com--we did 3d molds of me holding my dd's hand; every detail down to the pores and lines of our skin came out

*silver thumbprint necklaces--there are a variety of kits out there--I did a thumbprint of all of my children, and I wear that as a subtle piece of keepsake jewelry

There is also a group (and I can track down the information for you) that does photography in hospital. Having tangible photographs and video has been very helpful as my kids reprocess with each developmental stage how things played out.

Child life was also great about talking about stuff with my kids. They also had a great lending library of books dealing with death for children.

I do not have experience, but I wanted to say that I don't think you're nuts. Many hugs as you traverse this sad path.

I agree.  You're not nuts at all.  You're giving your sweet baby and good life and possibly a good death surrounded by love.   You're teaching your children death is a natural part of life.  It's all beautiful and good.  I would do the same as well.  I know people who have walked this path.  Sending you much love and peace.  :grouphug:

(((hugs))) for your mama heart.

I think your goal to bring your baby home is beautiful.  I agree that having a mystical sibling dying in a hospital is "weirder" than having a real, sick baby at home.  Because you know that your baby has a fatal genetic disorder, you can prepare your other children and then walk this together.  Due to the ages of your kids, they will obviously experience the eventual loss very differently.

Where are you located?  I wish you were near me.  I would love to work with your family around this issue of loss.

I just keep thinking how sacred this experience is and will be for your family, mama.  (((hugs)))

There is also a group (and I can track down the information for you) that does photography in hospital. Having tangible photographs and video has been very helpful as my kids reprocess with each developmental stage how things played out.

Here it is: https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

And another organization: http://stringofpearlsonline.org/

Not comparable in any way, but when DD was little, her grandma and another friend had to have pets put to sleep.  When our own kitty was at her end (DD was 5) she expressed to me about "pets going to the vet and never coming back".  As you mentioned, she was imagining what was happening since she did not know the reality.  We made a decision to involve her in the process, she got to see kitty after the cat was dead, touch her, etc.  She was sad, but not horrified or traumatized, and it was so much better than "pets disappearing at the vet". 

You are not nuts at all, I would make the same choice. 

ETA, it also helps cement the concept of family.  We go through these things, they are bad sometimes, but we go through them together, as a family.

I'm adding a link to a blog post written by the friend of a friend. It refers often to her faith, but I immediately thought of it because these are parents with older children who made the same choice you did, when pregnant wih a child with the same condition. I love that their sweet baby was virtually never laid down during her short life. It's an emotional read.

http://www.mormonwomen.com/2014/03/13/loving-allegra/

I would like to reply as someone who lost a sibling at a young age. I was five when my brother passed away after a 3 week hospital stay, his whole life. He was never able to come home, although I did meet him and hold him and we were at the hospital the whole time. I was five, but gifted so maybe experienced the event a little differently than typical fives. My mom read an article years later that said children often go through the grieving process several times as they age and reach new developmental levels. Age allows children to understand and grieve in a different way. For me, in order to process my brother's death I needed to talk about it constantly. My parents tried to let me do that but it was just too difficult for them. I suggest getting your children some sort of grief counseling, with a neutral person they can talk to so it won't be so overwhelming to you. I think not being able to "talk it out" freely hindered me a lot. Your child's life and death will profoundly change you and your family. It just won't be the same again. It can be hard for children to understand why things are different now. That's something I struggled with a lot as a child. 

I'm so sorry. I don't think I can be of much help, but I am sending many hugs and prayers your way. I believe your heart is leading you in the right direction. Shame on anyone for suggesting you are nuts for your decision. You previous baby has every right to spend ever blessed day surrounded in love, and your other DC have every right to offer and share in that love.

As far as their reactions, I can say that littles will likely ask many question and find a need to talk. Regardless of how little they may know a sibling, it does not change the fact that they to will be grieving. If you can find anyone for them to reach out to, please do. I never mentioned it here before, but dh's daughter passed in an accident this past August. I assumed that my DC would not be very affected, because they had not met her. It was only this past week that my oldest broke down crying for his sister. They were two years apart and had spent many hours IMing each other via Facebook. I feel terrible that he had been grieving inwardly all this time. I know it is very different from your situation, but children develop strong bonds and love so much easier than we adults. Any memories you can give to your children and yourself will be cherished gifts.

Again, many hugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input and personal stories. Our son lived for 90 minutes and we were able to involve our older children with him. We all held him for his short life. As the pediatrician realized that he was dead, our 2.5 year old patted him on the head and said, "Bye bye baby!" as he left the room.

We named him Joseph Barnabas. 

Thanks for the input and personal stories. Our son lived for 90 minutes and we were able to involve our older children with him. We all held him for his short life. As the pediatrician realized that he was dead, our 2.5 year old patted him on the head and said, "Bye bye baby!" as he left the room.

We named him Joseph Barnabas. 

I'm so sorry to hear that this chapter came quietly to a close.  It must be so hard for you all!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: