Menu

dealing with sibling death - update in edited #1

EmilyGF

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emily, I just read this with your update. I'm so sorry for your loss. If ever you want to talk please PM me. We lost our sweet Hannah at twelve days. Our kids were younger than yours at the time and I really needed to talk about her afterwards for a long time, but was weird for people and family.

I am so sorry  :grouphug:   I'm glad for him and for all of you that you had some time together, even though it was so short. 

Have you ever heard of the book Robert Nathaniel's Tree?  It is a picture book about a little boy whose mommy was having a baby, but the baby died.  It is heart-wrenching but beautiful, about his thoughts about his baby brother whom he never got to know. I don't know if it might be too painful to read, but I recommend it if you and your children feel up to it sometime. It might be a way to gently open up communication with your older kids about their thoughts and feelings about sweet little Joey, and ways your family might want to remember him. The title of the book comes from a tree the family planted in Robert Nathaniel's memory... 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:grouphug:  I have been thinking more about you and your family and thought I would share with you the text of the picture book I mentioned above, so you can decide whether it might be something that would be helpful or comforting for your children, at the right time.  The illustrations are so sweet, and I love the simplicity of the text from the child’s perspective.

I hope it is not insensitive of me to post this now, but I just thought the book might be a blessing as you and your husband and children grieve together for your precious baby.

Robert Nathaniel’s Tree  (picture book)

By RaRa Schlitt

<snipped to avoid copyright infringement>

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Edited 6/21/14

Baby Joey was born yesterday at 36 weeks. He lived for 90 minutes and was held by his dad, siblings, and me. He died in someone's arms (not sure whose). I'm so thankful that my children were able to see him alive. We ended up having amazing support at the hospital.

Emily

I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hurt you must feel right now.

• 2 weeks later...