Menu

What is your signature dish?

saraha

Don't really have one.

Favorite family meals  schnitzel (chicken), potato soup, mar far chicken and chow yuk, home made soups. 

A go-to gift for people for a special occasion, especially if I do not attend their wedding but want to give them something. I plan a meal for when they get home from their honeymoon. A deep baking dish, with a home made lasagna but I alternate bechamel sauce layers with red sauce layers. Makes it a bit different and very yummy.  They can eat it when I give it, or freeze for later. I pick a dish that can be used for serving too, so usually a nice ceramic. If I know they will eat it the night I give it, I include bread, salad and dessert. 

• Like 8

The recipe I get asked for the most is Bacon Mac and Cheese.  It plus a side of lemon garlic broccoli is my go to for meal train if there are kids in the house and no dietary restrictions.  Other things that seem pretty popular:

Avocado Enchiladas (go to vegetarian and GF meal train or potluck option)

Salmon with mango-mint salsa (I make this for dinner parties a lot.) 

Blueberry Pie (this is what I bring if I need a wow dessert for a smaller gathering- it’s always a big hit)

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

Homemade pizza. Doesn’t seem very glamorous but there it is. It’s difficult for me to ever buy pizza out because I much prefer my own and will spend the evening thinking about how much cheaper and better my own would be.

Pizza is also one of the foods most likely to be made with low-quality ingredients and methods so that’s when I really (inwardly) complain. Salty cardboard with sickeningly sweet tomato sauce and greasy, scant “mozerella” isn’t gonna do it. 

• Like 4

Chicken enchiladas.  Not my fave, but my family adores it enough that I've made a recipe that we all like.  It uses a homemade green chili and tomatillo sauce, slow cooked chicken with roasted garlic, and a small bit of cream cheese.

If only I could get them to like beef enchiladas. LOL  Those are my favorite.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oven roasted chicken shawarma, https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma

This is our family celebration meal and a meal I put together for a big group. On the table along with the chicken is tahini sauce, yogurt sauce, romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, pita bread, falafel or other chickpea-based vegetarian item, feta, olives.

Once we had a family over for this lunch, and their 5-year-old said "this was the goodest lunch ever!" I consider that the best compliment ever! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Fried Rice. My husband and kids say it tastes better than takeout. 

In my family I am always asked to bring my fruit salad or Baked mac and cheese. 

If I'm bringing something to a family in need I usually make Baked mac and cheese and then I will buy a roast chicken and a bagged Caesar salad. 

• Like 2

For my kids it's spaghetti and bacon (spaghetti noodles then add cooked diced bacon, butter, parmesan cheese, and a little of the pasta water).

I think our best dishes involve dh grilling meat--we have a great flank steak recipe and have mastered grilled chicken sandwiches. If family visits we tend to have one of those.

• Like 1

I cook for our survival not because I enjoy it.  The kids and dh say I'm a good cook but I don't really shine on any particular dishes or maybe I shine at all of them 🙂. I do not bring food to other people unless it is an emergency situation and meals are needed.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Homemade pizza. Doesn’t seem very glamorous but there it is. It’s difficult for me to ever buy pizza out because I much prefer my own and will spend the evening thinking about how much cheaper and better my own would be.

Pizza is also one of the foods most likely to be made with low-quality ingredients and methods so that’s when I really (inwardly) complain. Salty cardboard with sickeningly sweet tomato sauce and greasy, scant “mozerella” isn’t gonna do it. 

The South isn’t exactly “known” for its pizza

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, saraha said:

For my kids, my signature dish is homemade noodles. My go to casserole for sharing with sick, surgery etc is a dish I made up Gold Star Casserole.

What is your signature dish?

Can you elaborate on the Gold Star Casserole, please? Either recipe or general directions? 

I don't think I have a signature dish though everyone, including dh's side of the family, likes my Italian American food. I guess signature would be Italian meatballs and sauce (we never called it gravy). 

Also, I always get asked to bring my sweet potato casserole to Thanksgiving gatherings and dss always wants my marinated artichoke hearts.

• Like 1

DH mainly cooks here, and he’s better at it. My stuff is all super simple:

Chili — the kind with beef and beans. I didn’t intend for it to be my Thing, but it’s always requested.

Green chile (like a sauce, not to be confused with plain green chiles) — we put it on everything. DH’s favorite is green chile smothered chicken burritos.

Roasted Brussels sprouts and broccoli with bacon.

Bacon jam on crusty bread.

Not for the kids: my signature beverage is all things coffee. It’s like an identity. For older adults, a cappuccino with homemade kahlua. Which brings me to the annual kahlua making. A tradition. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Tap said:

Don't really have one.

Favorite family meals  schnitzel (chicken), potato soup, mar far chicken and chow yuk, home made soups. 

A go-to gift for people for a special occasion, especially if I do not attend their wedding but want to give them something. I plan a meal for when they get home from their honeymoon. A deep baking dish, with a home made lasagna but I alternate bechamel sauce layers with red sauce layers. Makes it a bit different and very yummy.  They can eat it when I give it, or freeze for later. I pick a dish that can be used for serving too, so usually a nice ceramic. If I know they will eat it the night I give it, I include bread, salad and dessert. 

This is a very sweet gift

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eos said:

Apple-cheddar pancakes...

Oh.My.    More on this, please.  Is it... like, dinner?  or dessert?

All-around works-for-the-full-family fave is chili with Beyond spicy sausage and a zillion sides including fresh guac.

Son's fave is lamb shanks; husband's fave is roast chicken and nearly-burnt brussel sprouts.

Go-to take to events & people is (cold) poached salmon w dill sauce.

(Aside from Friday challah, I don't bake, at all, ever.   That is why God created boxed cake and brownie mix, ice cream, and above all good bakeries.)

• Like 4

chocolate chip pumpkin bread and corned beef.  I don't get the corned beef because all I do is boil it for a few hours but everyone says they can't make it as good as mine.  

I hate cooking.  There are other foods my family really likes that I make but these are the only ones they really count on.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

Oh.My.    More on this, please.  Is it... like, dinner?  or dessert?

Breakfast or dinner.  Lay down the pancake batter in the hot pan like normal, top each cake with a good sized handful of grated cheddar then lay as many slices of peeled apple on top of the cheese as you can fit, smoosh them down just a little bit and cook until the underneath is brown, flip and let the other side cook like normal.  Blackberry brie is my other signature pancake flavor - you have to let the brie melt a  bit before flipping then watch carefully so it doesn't all melt out.  Spinach, scallion, red pepper, and cheddar pancakes are also super good.  Sorry, I digress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Chicken pot pie w/celery seed crust. My DHs favorite.  He got for Valentine’s Day lol  

Oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Not fancy, but probably the one recipe I’ve been asked for more than any other. 

I make a chicken with lemon-garlic cream sauce that everyone here loves and requests constantly, but it’s time-consuming and seems to use up every dish in the kitchen, so I don’t make it often. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Banana Cake (from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook). It’s really just a yellow cake mix with some bananas and other extra ingredients to enhance it and a caramel frosting but there is something about it. 

It’s kind of ugly. So it gets left untouched until someone that knows gets ahold of it. Lol. 

I have one like that, too.  Rice pilaf that looks like white rice.  Tastes amazing but doesn’t look like it, so it always sits and sits at potlucks until one person actually tastes it and passes the word—then it disappears in about 30 seconds.

• Like 2

I have two that are equally requested. First is a middle eastern style chicken with lentil soup, saffron rice, and stuffed red peppers. I do also do roast brussel sprouts when I do not have time to make stuffed peppers.

The second is a chicken and vegetable pot pie that barely beats out my marinara sauce for spaghetti.

• Like 1

Chicken pot pie and Chicken and Dumplings. I won't link the pot pie recipe because I'm too lazy to write out the changes I've made, but it's from Allrecipes. Maybe I'll do that later. This is the recipe I use for chicken and dumplings: https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9790/chicken-and-dumplings/. I only use bone-in skin-on chicken breasts for this recipe because that's all my family will eat. Obviously they take more than 20 minutes to cook. Also, I only use Goya Masarepa corn meal. It was the only thing I had the first time I made it, and the dumplings were amazing!! I used some other kind of corn meal the next time and it wasn't nearly as good. Lesson learned! I also made a really good strawberry shortcake that has since been requested by a few people for their birthday cake. I even got an amazing from dh - he's the cake person, not me. I really don't enjoy cooking nowadays because standing in a kitchen is very hard for me to do, so I don't make these often and dh helps with all the vegetable chopping.

DH makes so many amazing things but he's most known for his pizza. The second Saturday of the month is known for being pizza night around here. He does thin crust cheese, pepperoni, meatball, Hawaiian, artichoke heart/asparagus/mushroom and whatever other combo he can think of. He also does Chicago deep dish and Sicilian. He mixes it up every month. My sister usually brings a new type of shot or drink, and someone else brings dessert. It's a fun night. Family members often stop by looking for his chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pinball said:

Can you elaborate on the Gold Star Casserole, please? Either recipe or general directions? 

Brown a pound of hamburger, then add half a can of tomato paste, packet of Gold Star Chili seasoning and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then dump in one box of pasta. Boil stirring for 9 minutes, add more water if needed along the way. Spoon into a greased baking dish, top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake till cheese is melted, then top with a sprinkle of diced onion and oyster crackers. Serve with a bottle of tobasco sauce. It’s like Gold Star’s 4 way chili spaghetti, but done up as a casserole. I know Cincinnati chili is a regional thing though. When we made it for our Wisconsin family, they were like hmmm, interesting. But everyone I have made it for around here LOVES it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Not fancy, but probably the one recipe I’ve been asked for more than any other. 

Would you be willing to share your recipe here? My college son would love these, I think, and I'm going to visit him soon. 🥰

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Brown a pound of hamburger, then add half a can of tomato paste, packet of Gold Star Chili seasoning and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then dump in one box of pasta. Boil stirring for 9 minutes, add more water if needed along the way. Spoon into a greased baking dish, top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake till cheese is melted, then top with a sprinkle of diced onion and oyster crackers. Serve with a bottle of tobasco sauce. It’s like Gold Star’s 4 way chili spaghetti, but done up as a casserole. I know Cincinnati chili is a regional thing though. When we made it for our Wisconsin family, they were like hmmm, interesting. But everyone I have made it for around here LOVES it.

So the Gold Star Chili seasoning is a Cincinnati chili? Oh, I have to try this!! I love Cincinnati chili and this sound nice and easy! I probably won't find the seasoning in NJ, but Amazon has it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dsmith said:

So the Gold Star Chili seasoning is a Cincinnati chili? Oh, I have to try this!! I love Cincinnati chili and this sound nice and easy! I probably won't find the seasoning in NJ, but Amazon has it.

There’s a couple of brands that are slightly different. Gold Star and Cincinnati Recipe Chili mix. Cincinnati chili is definitely an acquired taste. 😆

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saraha said:

There’s a couple of brands that are slightly different. Gold Star and Cincinnati Recipe Chili mix. Cincinnati chili is definitely an acquired taste. 😆

I've definitely acquired it, lol. I ate it every day when we were in the area for a week before the pandemic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I've definitely acquired it, lol. I ate it every day when we were in the area for a week before the pandemic.

We never eat it out, it’s so easy to make at home I have a hard time paying that much for hotdogs or spaghetti 😆

we’ve used leftover chili to top homemade pizza, topped nachos with it, had it on fries… we really like it!😆

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thank you! I’ll let you know when I make it.

😁

• Like 1