Menu

Bivalent vaccine?

sangtarah

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH and I (and two of the kids) are just getting over covid now, so we will probably get the new bivalent booster sometime in November (2.5ish months after covid). My 13 year old has so far avoided covid, so he will get the bivalent soon, probably in the next couple weeks at the same time as his flu shot. The other kids are all too young so far, but will when it is available to them.

Absolutely. It’s been about ten months since my booster. I’m wondering if anyone has seen anything helpful in trying to make the Pfizer versus Moderna decision. There’s so little info to go on. So far from what I’ve seen, it seems like Moderna causes a bigger initial antibody boost, but it starts reducing by a month out, whereas Pfizer has a much smaller initial increase but it’s not as decreased by a month out. I need to find where I saw the study again because it was on my phone and I need to see if the Pfizer decrease was smaller only because it started out not boosting as high, or if the net antibody increase at one month was still higher. Very interested in anything anyone else has found about this. I sure wish I felt like I could wait for the clinical data, but going into fall I feel like we need to get it asap. 

• Like 10

My family members will! DS, DH. DD isn’t old enough (it’s 12 and up, right?). I want it as well, but need to decide if it’s worth the risk for me. I had probable adverse reactions to my first three shots and was hospitalized within two weeks of each. We don’t know for sure it was because of the shot, but it’s likely. One doc says not to get more shots, and one — who does not know me as well — leans toward getting a shot no matter what. So, absolutely, if I can do it, I will! And I may do it without my main doc’s blessing. 

I had my second booster (4th shot) in April, so I'm planning to get the bivalent shot in early October. That will be 6 months from the last booster, and will hopefully provide around 6 (ish) months of protection (October-March) to get me through the worst of winter/flu season. Neither of my kids were eligible for 2nd boosters, and it's been more than 6 months since their boosters so I am encouraging them to get the bivalent shot ASAP (especially DS, who is at a large university, training with a varsity team, soon to be traveling, etc.).

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

I had my second booster (4th shot) in April, so I'm planning to get the bivalent shot in early October. That will be 6 months from the last booster, and will hopefully provide around 6 (ish) months of protection (October-March) to get me through the worst of winter/flu season. 

We had ours in May and will get ours in November - just in time before our adult kids come home for Thanksgiving and then the holiday season, so I'm happy with the timing.  I think most of my adult kids will get it too.  One is pretty much anti-vax for herself and I worry a lot about that (she's a college student).  She had Covid in January but was lucky and it was a pretty mild case.  

I'm planning on it, but I'm not rushing out the day it's available. I'll probably wait until at least early October. I want to make sure there are no problems reported after it actually goes in arms, and I want max protection for November and December.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I got it (Moderna) Saturday. More arm soreness than with the flu shot, but less than the original "Moderna arm." It's been ten months since my last booster, and I wanted it ASAP, especially as dd's extracurriculars are all about to start up, increasing our amount of potential exposures. 

• Like 3

yes; my 19 year old already got it, 3 more of us have appointments tomorrow. It's been nearly a year since my last booster (and no covid as far as I know), and my husband teaches high school, so there's never a time (except summer) when we can avoid a lot of exposure. 

We are definitely getting it, but I don’t know when.  

My husband is just getting over Covid right now.  

I think it might be good for us to get flu shots at the same time.  I already know I often have a hard time finding a “good day” in the Fall for everyone.  And I usually stagger going in, because my oldest does the worst with shots, and then my husband is not a fan, either.  The younger kids and I are easy.  

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yes, of course. Just trying to figure out the timing—I also need a flu shot and shingles vax (so, two shots spaced out), we have to travel overseas soon, and we'll likely have winter and spring travel that can’t be avoided.

I'm in the same boat.  I need to get my second shingles vax, which I can't get before mid-Sept, and I'm taking a plane the last day of Oct, so I'm thinking early/mid October would be good. 

I had the 2nd booster way back in the spring.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KSera said:

Absolutely. It’s been about ten months since my booster. I’m wondering if anyone has seen anything helpful in trying to make the Pfizer versus Moderna decision. There’s so little info to go on. So far from what I’ve seen, it seems like Moderna causes a bigger initial antibody boost, but it starts reducing by a month out, whereas Pfizer has a much smaller initial increase but it’s not as decreased by a month out. I need to find where I saw the study again because it was on my phone and I need to see if the Pfizer decrease was smaller only because it started out not boosting as high, or if the net antibody increase at one month was still higher. Very interested in anything anyone else has found about this. I sure wish I felt like I could wait for the clinical data, but going into fall I feel like we need to get it asap. 

If you find that article can you post it?  I haven't seen that.

41 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

If you find that article can you post it?  I haven't seen that.

Found it again. I have never seen this source before. I’m annoyed they did not link to the studies where they got those numbers. I will see if they are on the reports on the FDA site. I’m realizing why I wasn’t able to come to a conclusion from that article though; with Moderna, they listed absolute values whereas with Pfizer, they listed how much they increased without giving absolute numbers so there’s no way to compare between Moderna and Pfizer.

https://www.techarp.com/science/pfizer-moderna-bivalent-vaccines/?amp=1

• Like 1

Since it had been 8 months since my first booster and we had major metropolitan travel planned for August, I went ahead and got the old vaccine as my second booster. Now I will wait, but may not get another until maybe Jan or Feb, depending on how rampant CV appears this winter. I’m not in a high risk category and the omicron variant hasn’t typically caused as many complications as the earlier ones, so I will just wait for now. I get tinnitus as a side effect that subsides after a few weeks, so I’d rather not aggravate that again anytime soon. 

• Like 2

I will definitely get it, but am torn about when to get it.  Dh and I had Covid at the end of April (post-Easter surge.)  Part of me wishes it were available a couple weeks prior because we are attending a wedding in a week.  I don't have much time between now and then to have any downtime.  Need to time this, my required flu shot and my 2nd shingles shot.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

One pharmacy here said they expect to get it next week but haven't been notified whether they'll get Moderna or Pfizer. From what I'm reading the Pfizer one has more side effects - similar to the first vaccine when it seemed to hit people harder.

Other than calling them how do you know if they have the bivalent vaccine? I wonder if it will say so on their websites where we schedule vaccines. I hope it does because I really, really don't want to call pharmacy after pharmacy trying to find it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Other than calling them how do you know if they have the bivalent vaccine? I wonder if it will say so on their websites where we schedule vaccines. I hope it does because I really, really don't want to call pharmacy after pharmacy trying to find it.

You'd probably have to call. Some might put it on their websites but if it's a national chain you'd still have to put in your zip code to see if your local one has it. I went to pick up a prescription and asked while I was there. I do plan to call a few others in my area too but didn't get around to it yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Our county health department announced on their FB page that they now have the new vaccines. By "new" I'm assuming they mean bivalent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My understanding is that the old boosters no longer have approval for people 12 and up (there's still the original 2 dose series or the J&J one shot for people who've never been vaccinated), so any boosters should be the bivalent. 

My husband and I and our 16 year old all got ours last night--we got Moderna (at a CVS) and my son got Pfizer (at a Walgreens). I just have a sore arm and maybe some fatigue; my 16 year old woke up with a sore throat and headache and just general crumminess, although it's gotten better as the day has gone on. He also just went to Dragon Con last weekend (but has had a bunch of negative covid tests since then) and has seasonal allergies (and ragweed's just getting going here)...so in this case I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's having a worse vaccine reaction than he did for his other doses rather than covid. 

• Like 3