Menu

Controversial opinion to stir the pot

Terabith

You pot stirrer!!! My daughter likes honey-crisp apples the most out of all of the varieties that she's tried. I haven't bought a fuji in years and now I'm going to have to buy one because someone on the internet is telling me to 🤣. I'll report back...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer  Honey Crisp over Fuji but I also enjoy a good Golden Delicious.  Basic yes, but so yummy.  I've never heard of Kanzi, but if I come across them (and if I can afford them!) I will have to give them a try.

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 2

I like both, but prefer the one that is fresher and crisper.  I usually go with Fuji, because of price.  Although, if we are having it with caramel dip we have granny smith.  And for applesauce or pies, transparent apples from my parent's apple tree.

I like Galas, too.  They're my second choice if there aren't fujis around.  I don't really like golden delicious, but I am baffled that anyone likes RED DELICIOUS?  Those things are mealy and tasteless.  

I will have to try cosmic crisp, pink lady, and opal, as well as kanzi.  

• Like 2

I'm team Red Delicious.  But my kids both think they are gross.  Gala seems to satisfy most here.

ETA:  Red delicious organic.  Not any non-organic apples ever.  Non-organics have no taste and gross texture.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Honey crisp IN SEASON are perfection and better than Fuji. 

Fugi the rest of the year are consistently good, and better than subpar honeycrisps that are available the rest of the year. 

In season, Snap Dragon may actually be my favorite. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm team Red Delicious.  But my kids both think they are gross.  Gala seems to satisfy most here.

Huh??? What, exactly, do you like about them? The skin is too thick, the flavor is, well, non existent, so what? I know you and I have had differences in the past, but this is beyond the pale!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Honey crisp IN SEASON are perfection and better than Fuji. 

Fugi the rest of the year are consistently good, and better than subpar honeycrisps that are available the rest of the year. 

In season, Snap Dragon may actually be my favorite. 

Honey crisp all the way!

51 minutes ago, Quill said:

HoneyCrisp fan, here. Although I often get Gala, though I don’t find them as good, because budgets. 

Yeah, we often get Gala due to budget. In season a honeycrisp is worth the price. Out of season, it isn't. 

44 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

DH loves honey crisp, but definitely not my favorite. Nor are Fuji, though. I prefer gala or red delicious-my palette must not be well developed 😉

What do you have against flavor, exactly, lol? (kidding, sort of..I mean, red delicious is obviously wrong, but you do you) (that was meant to be toungue in cheek)

39 minutes ago, Loowit said:

I like both, but prefer the one that is fresher and crisper.  I usually go with Fuji, because of price.  Although, if we are having it with caramel dip we have granny smith. 

This is the exact right answer! Fresher and crisper is best. and with caramel granny smith is the right answer as well! Tart to balance the sweet. 

28 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Team honeycrisp, here. I recently rhapsodized to a friend that slices of honeycrisp drizzled with a really good fruit-infused balsamic vinegar is life-changing. 

She seemed a little baffled by my enthusiasm.

OMG I have never put balsamic on an apple, but now I must! I THINK we still have some really good maple infused balsamic....

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Huh??? What, exactly, do you like about them? The skin is too thick, the flavor is, well, non existent, so what? I know you and I have had differences in the past, but this is beyond the pale!

There are two different varietals of Red Delicious. One actually tastes like something. The other has been overbred for appearance and long-distance shipping, and is a far cry from its ancestral variety. "Organic" or not has nothing to do with it.

But either variety is nothing compared to Johnathon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Honey crisp are to apples as nouveau beaujolais is to wine: a singular short bright season each year. This is the time I buy honey crisp, when one giant apple, sliced, can serve 4 people as an accompaniment to dinner. 

Otherwise my preference is for pink ladies. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LuvToRead said:

I prefer  Honey Crisp over Fuji but I also enjoy a good Golden Delicious.  Basic yes, but so yummy.  I've never heard of Kanzi, but if I come across them (and if I can afford them!) I will have to give them a try.

Ya know those are just for pies, right?

😆jk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're both increasingly terrible. I don't fully understand this, but I guess when apples get overbred? Over copied since they're clones? Something. They get worse and worse. Fujis were so good like 20 years ago. Honeycrisp were amazing like 10 years ago. I wouldn't even know how to judge them now. I do think the best Honeycrisp at their peak were better than the best Fujis and that mostly Honeycrisp are still better with exceptions.

Agreed that Envy and Kanzi are two really commercial brands that are starting to make inroads and are still really good. And the Pink Lady is still pretty decent.

There are a lot of Crisp spinoffs that I assume we'll see more of soon. Anyone had a Cosmic Crisp yet? ETA: I had to look it up. I knew there was a Crisp that I love. The Suncrisp! Anyone else a big fan of those?

For smaller varieties though... Stayman! And I love a good Jonagold. Or a Ginger gold!

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

My favorite is probably Envy, but the grocery store has Honey Crisp.  Apples are such an important part of my very limited diet that I’m willing to pay the premium.  The ones I get are good year round, but the vary occasional underwhelming Honey Crisp is such a “sad trombone” moment!

My favorite apple is whichever one is fresh from the tree that day.  🙂   My absolute favorite varieties to eat are Ginger Gold and Snow Sweet.  I have a young  Snow Sweet tree that looks to give us a small harvest this year.  I also have a Honeycrisp tree, but in addition to those I have Empire, State Fair, Sweet Sixteen and Candy Crisp apples.   If we can find a Ginger Gold and Arkansas Black tree to add to the orchard in the next few years I'll be set with an amazing variety of apples for eating and baking with. 

• Like 2

Honeycrisp!  Especially in season!  Back in the day we used to go pick them every fall, they grow here.  ❤️  I do also like Fuji and Gala.   

ETA - I do think apple quality varies through the year.  They are definitely best in our parts like Aug-Dec.

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

First my boiled Brussels sprouts, now my Red Delicious apples.  Next thing you know they'll be trashing my boxed mac-n-cheese.  😕

I will never trash your boxed mac & cheese. There's a certain nostalgia that imparts about 100% more flavor to the stuff out of that box. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Amira said:

Honeycrisp is bland.  Fujis are good. I love Jonathans. GoldRush is my absolute favorite. Plus they store well and the flavor develops over the winter. 

Have you had Jonagold? They are so good! (Farrar mentioned them too.)

33 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

There are two different varietals of Red Delicious. One actually tastes like something. The other has been overbred for appearance and long-distance shipping, and is a far cry from its ancestral variety. "Organic" or not has nothing to do with it.

But either variety is nothing compared to Johnathon.

Yes, this is what I heard about Red Delicious. I remember when they were tasty!

Same question to you--Jonagold? Quite good if you get a chance.

13 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Stayman! And I love a good Jonagold. 

A friend introduced me to Stayman or Stayman Winesap--not sure which. She'd bring apples from her home area (not far from you), and I'd bring some from home every fall at college, and we'd bake pies from all the varieties mixed together to share with friends. They were so good, and now I am sad if I have to make a pie with only one variety!

I like McIntosh and Cortland when they are in season (a 50/50 mix makes really stellar unsweetened applesauce). Trader Joe's usually has some McIntosh that are pretty good, though not quite like getting them straight from an orchard. 

From the grocery store, I am team Gala--most consistent on flavor and texture. Fuji is second choice. Galas make nice apple slices for the dehydrator.

I like the flavor of Fuji okay, but it's one of those more starchy apples, which is not my favorite--starchy ones leave a film in my mouth. I do like them when ripe though--Fuji, Empire, Rome, etc. I am definitely more conversant in older varieties. Nothern Spies are really good if you can get them ripe, and if you are cooking them, they are okay a little green (they ripen LATE, IIRC).

I think I've had honeycrisp only a time or two, and a lot of the varieties in this thread are ones I've not tried (some I've not heard of).

• Like 2

My most favorite apple ever was a variety called Fenton.  Second is Molly Delicious (unfortunately unlike like it's other family members, this kind didn't store well so they are only good for about 2 weeks before they get too soft).  The rest of the top ten would be an asssortment of Japanese varieties that this really old guy used to bring to our local farmer's market and sell dirt cheap because no one had ever heard of them (but they were amazing.  I'd buy at least 20 pounds every week).  I'll eat a Honeycrisp if offered but I would not actually pay for them.  They are seriously overpriced for their taste.  I haven't tried Envy because again, price.  Even at Aldi they end up being $1.00 an apple or more.  

• Like 1

Scanning this list, I must add Jonagolds, second the Braeburn & pink lady over fuji, but it's close, and I don't know if I've ever actually done a honey crisp. 

We get Annas, Dorsetts, and Carnival from our trees (well, this will be the 1st year for the Carnival). I'll report back when they are ripe, but the Anna's and Dorsetts are both good. 

And,  my great-grandpa actually *did* invent the Lady apple (not, sadly, the pink lady, but just the regular lady) and grew them on an orchard in Missouri way back in the day. (he died when my grandma was a very young teen, so I never met him, and my grandma is 87 now, so this was a long time ago). 

• Like 5