Menu

Which Gift Would You Steal?

Red Dove

9 minutes ago, Red Dove said:

If you had a chance to steal one of these gifts at a gift exchange (Yankee Swap, White Elephant), which would you steal?  

Fraggle Rock Plush Doll

Box of Chocolates

Princess Bride Playing Cards

Record Coasters

Stay Puft Action Figure

Thanks for your input!  

P.S.  I love going to this group for all the homeschooling advice. 

Princess Bride Playing Cards would be my first pick

Fraggle Rock Plus the second.

• Like 3

How old are the chocolates?  🙂  (I love chocolates but would not eat food that had been making the rounds for too long!)  If the chocolates are newly purchased and in an unopened container, then the chocolates would be my first choice.  

My second choice would be the coasters because those are practical especially in something like a Rec room. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your very quick replies!  Seems like the consensus is that chocolates are a safe bet, but if I want to go a bit more adventurous the cards are a good bet.  

I am attending a party where I don’t know the people well, so I wanted to test out some ideas.  I truly appreciate all of your input.  I have been lurking all the posts here for a while, but never had an original question for you all, so didn’t ever sign up.  

I am a homeschooling mother of 6 children - ages 3 to 12.  Thanks for all the great advice!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MercyA said:

They are all nice choices for a white elephant exchange, but I'd want the chocolate. 🙂  Almost everyone always does, in my experience. 

When we used to do a $5-or-less gift game, candy was always the top contender. It’s just kind of difficult to find something that inexpensive with such universal appeal. 

My choice would be chocolate or Princess Bride cards. I didn’t click the links, though. 

• Like 2

We play this at work where the limit is more like $20 and 50% of the participants bring a bottle of wine or alcohol.  Not saying it’s appropriate 🤣 but they are well-attended, rowdy functions where everyone has fun.  Just enough odd gifts for the non-drinkers.  (No one drinks on work property.) 

Toilet paper has never been brought, but there have been similar items that were popular during the pandemic. (3-pack of Clorox wipes, anyone?)

Last time I brought home a blanket.

I’d pick the playing cards.

• Like 2

Ikslo- All of the parties I’ve been to the alcohol and chocolates are the biggest hit, also.  I don’t quite understand that, though.  All the adults can buy that themselves.  I thought it would be more interesting to have some gifts that are quirky and other people might not have thought of that themselves.  But……I still might settle on the safe bet.  

4 minutes ago, Red Dove said:

Ikslo- All of the parties I’ve been to the alcohol and chocolates are the biggest hit, also.  I don’t quite understand that, though.  All the adults can buy that themselves.  I thought it would be more interesting to have some gifts that are quirky and other people might not have thought of that themselves.  But……I still might settle on the safe bet.  

I’m not sure I get it either! 🤷‍♀️ I did bring some fun glasses and the items for a Bloody Mary bar one year, though (tomato juice, celery, lemons, Tabasco, etc.) and they fought over that, too.  I guess sometimes it’s fun to get something you might not pick out if you were buying for yourself. I hate Bloody Marys!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I’m not sure I get it either! 🤷‍♀️ I did bring some fun glasses and the items for a Bloody Mary bar one year, though (tomato juice, celery, lemons, Tabasco, etc.) and they fought over that, too.  I guess sometimes it’s fun to get something you might not pick out if you were buying for yourself. I hate Bloody Marys!

I guess that’s true.  If it’s something you COULD buy for yourself but would be a luxury, then that would be fun to get.  Thank you for your input, by the way.  

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, Red Dove said:

If you had a chance to steal one of these gifts at a gift exchange (Yankee Swap, White Elephant), which would you steal?  

Fraggle Rock Plush Doll

Box of Chocolates

Princess Bride Playing Cards

Record Coasters

Stay Puft Action Figure

Thanks for your input!  

P.S.  I love going to this group for all the homeschooling advice. 

I would go with the chocolates. I definitely do not need any more stuff!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Dove said:

That is because it is something they will drink/eat and enjoy. Then it will go away. Even if it isn't a great bottle or wine or nice candy, it can be used up at a dinner party or easily regifted. We have a holiday white elephant exchange with family. I always try to steal the item that no one else wants. Not because I want it, but because I feel bad for the person with a gift that no one wants. 

The one time, I actually won something I wanted, I ended up with a gift I didn't want in the end. LOL (It was a Covid party where everyone was at thier home but using Zoom....presents to be delivered at a future date). By the time the present was delivered to me, they had lost the original gift and they swapped it with scented bathroom soaps. HAHA I have got this same gift so many times at the gift swap (stealing things I didn't want), that I already have tons of back ups. Which is probably why they thought I would like it! LOL 🤣

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2