Menu

What shows are you streaming?

prairiewindmomma

Second Chance and Lethal Weapon, with dh

Vera, Agatha Raisin, Midsommer Murders, Foyle's War.

Looking online, looks like I need to check out Acceptable Rick, Jack Irish, Jericho of Scotland Yard and Above Suspicion.  All Acorn.  And more...

Enjoyed Netflix's new movie The Lost Husband.  a 'hallmark'. 

I just finished the newest season of Seaside Hotel (LOVE that show!) and Grantchester. I also watched a short 2-episode miniseries of Wuthering Heights. I’m defaulting to Monk right now but I need something else too, so I’ll be following this thread for ideas. 

1 hour ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Binge watching Haven. I had seen the first season and a half but we cut cable and life got busy and blah blah. I love that show so much, the ongoing mystery is totally addictive and the chemistry among the main half dozen or so characters is fantastic.

Dh and I recently finished. We started watching years ago but for some reason never finished. I think the show went on hiatus and when it came back we had forgotten about it. Anyway, I won't say much because we already finished but there were many twists. Enjoy.

Dh and I are watching the Marvel movies on Disney Plus in chronological (i.e. not release) order. A few aren't on Disney because Universal still owns them but we'll rent those. We watched Thor:The Dark World last night. Not my favorite so far (tied with Ironman 3 for not favorite) but we want to watch all of them. 

We're also watching Wild Bill and Jonathan Creek on Brit Box. We recently finished The Mallorca Files also on Brit Box. We're watching Eureka on Amazon Prime. As with Haven we started this years ago but never finished. Also as with Haven we started from the beginning even though we'd already seen a season or two. CSI on Hulu - the original. Neither of us have ever seen it. 

On my own I'm watching Hollywood on Netflix (language and sex, be warned), What We Do in the Shadows, Numb3rs, Monk (again) and just finished World of Dance. And my secret guilty pleasure is a few seasons of Murder She Wrote on Amazon. Boy, there were some really dumb police detectives back then. They needed an old lady to help them solve their murders. 😄 

We don't have cable so everything we watch is streaming. We do have an antenna but I never watch a show when it's broadcast. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

33 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Going through Foyle's War again on Acorn. Last time I watched it was in 2013? and I forgot how much I loved Christopher Foyle and Sam Stewart together.

We love that show!! It got us through a hard time a few years ago and the kids have been asking to watch it again. 

• Like 1

We are currenlly catching up on Endeavor on Amazon Prime= finished season 4 and now into season 5.  We are recording season 7 on our DVR now too.   

On Netflix, I started watching The Great Heist, which is a Colombian tv series about a true big heist in the 70's, I think.  Netflix knows that I like watching foreign shows and suggested it to me.  

We are currenlly catching up on Endeavor on Amazon Prime= finished season 4 and now into season 5.  We are recording season 7 on our DVR now too.   

On Netflix, I started watching The Great Heist, which is a Colombian tv series about a true big heist in the 70's, I think.  Netflix knows that I like watching foreign shows and suggested it to me.  

I'm really enjoying low stakes Canadian sitcoms as a contrast to real life. Aside from Schitt's Creek, Kim's Convenience is great, and we've started watching Workin' Moms, too. Also in the smart but not dark category, I love Mozart in the Jungle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

I'm really enjoying low stakes Canadian sitcoms as a contrast to real life. Aside from Schitt's Creek, Kim's Convenience is great, and we've started watching Workin' Moms, too. Also in the smart but not dark category, I love Mozart in the Jungle. 

Those are two of my favourite shows!  Have you watched Corner Gas?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jen3kids said:

Those are two of my favourite shows!  Have you watched Corner Gas?

We watched a couple of episodes and liked it but then somehow haven't gotten back to it--we need to do that now that we're out of Kim's Convenience!

On 8/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Dh and I recently finished. We started watching years ago but for some reason never finished. I think the show went on hiatus and when it came back we had forgotten about it. Anyway, I won't say much because we already finished but there were many twists. Enjoy.

Dh and I are watching the Marvel movies on Disney Plus in chronological (i.e. not release) order. A few aren't on Disney because Universal still owns them but we'll rent those. We watched Thor:The Dark World last night. Not my favorite so far (tied with Ironman 3 for not favorite) but we want to watch all of them. 

I did the same thing with Haven, watched it years ago but forgot when it went on hiatus.  I thought I eventually went back and finished it and felt like it didn't wrap up well?  Does that sound right or did I possibly miss more? 

I plan to watch the Marvel movies in order too.  I actually wanted to over the summer but didn't get the chance.  I only watch them on my own, not with dh, because he likes to mock them and I find it annoying.

16 hours ago, Plum said:

I have been too! I needed a show where I didn’t have to think too much. I’m not trying to put it down, I’ve just been watching so many overly complex shows it was nice to get back to a fun supernatural show that I don’t have to watch twice to get all the nuance. KWIM?

I miss Supernatural. I couldn’t finish the last season. I think I’m tired of it. 

I miss Supernatural.   It's going to be hard to get back into it when they finally finish the last season.   I think I'm going to have to rewatch the entire Season 15 at least, if not more.   I still like to rewatch some of my favorite episodes when I want mindless - mostly the really funny, off-the-wall ones. 

Dh just watched Picard.   I sort of watched it (it was on when I was in the room) and it seemed pretty good.  

• Like 1

Currently on Netflix:

Merlin, Gilmore Girls, (both for fun) and Madam Secretary (super impressed with the show so far!), Umbrella Academy

In the last few years:

Amazon: Tess of the D'Urbervilles (depressing), Corner Gas (for some quick laughs),  LOVED all these: Poldark, Vikings, Victoria

Netflix: The Last Kingdom (LOVED IT!!!), New Girl, Good Place, Lost in Space, Outlander, Anne with an E, When Calls the Heart, Watership Down, Stranger Things, Jericho, and more

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Umbrella Academy with DS (teenager).

Wishing there were more seasons of Locke and Key, that was fun to watch with DS.

With DH: catching up on Blacklist.  Awaiting the final half season of Supernatural.

While stationary biking (I like action, for this, not everyone’s thing, but will list):  Finished Last Kingdom, convinced DH to watch it. Finished Hannah.  Now watching The Boys. Will need something else soon, no idea what it will be, but will have to keep me moving fast!

Adding one more.  It’s my nerdy teen show.  The teens and I bond over it - I love The 100.  Waiting for the next season to hit Netflix, and fending off spoilers from all the teens in my life who have seen it.  The only cosplay I’ve ever contemplated is Clark. Because I had her hair.  🤣

Edited by Spryte

LOVE these kind of threads. Thank you for starting it!

Love:

Killing Eve (first two seasons on Hulu and I bought the third on Amazon)

Big Little Lies (really good w/ Nicole Kidman, Reece Witherspoon, and Laura Dern; if it got violent I fast-forwarded it.)

Enlightened (so good w/ Laura Dern)

Good Girls (NBC; you don't need cable)

Mad Men (Netflix) I never watched when it was originally on. So good.

Better Call Saul (Netflix) My favorite between Better Call Saul and Killing Eve.

Breaking Bad (Netflix)

I hear nothing but good about Schitt's Creek but I heard it gets better as the seasons progress.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend -- silly and fun. I'm from Ca so it was funny seeing her move from NYC to SoCal.

I haven't watched, but I've heard that Fargo is really good.

Have fun!

W.

One costume flick I watched just yesterday, that was rather enjoyable was "Enola Holmes" on netflix.

I watch a couple youtube channels - so the uploads are sporadic.   

Joseph Carter - the mink man.  I've learned a lot about mink (which he uses to hunt) rats, muskrats, and fish in small streams.  Animal training (mink and dogs), and he's added a monitor lizard to his menagerie. His young daughter just loves the animals, and follows him everywhere.

The Outsider.   He and his father are building a log cabin on his grandfather's extensive property in Canada.    It's been almost as interesting as Dick Proennecke's videos of himself building his cabin/outbuildings on Twin Lakes in remote Alaska back in the 60s. 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, slackermom said:

I am enjoying Jack Irish, an Australian noir detective series on Acorn. I started season 1 before noticing there is a season 0, listed below season 2. Season zero is actually 3 Jack Irish movies, made before the TV series, and worth watching first.

Thanks for the rec and season 0 heads up. What an opening scene that hooks you right in. I've been on an Acorn binge for months and am happy there's more good stuff to watch.

OP, I've watched so much during quarantine that it's all kind of a blur. Ha! Seriously though, I'll try to put some thought into what was the best of.

One show I can remember that is an absolute gem and had me laughing out loud is The Other One It's a new show and season 1 was just released on Acorn TV this year. It has heart, great acting (I've seen a few actors in other shows and one is fabulously playing a character very different from her norm), lovable characters and is hilarious with that deadpan, irreverent British humor. The story is unique too!

Edited by IfIOnly
Add link
  • Like 1

A new find is Mrs. Wilson from BBC. It's based on a true story and is available on Prime until October 31. Very well done and a newer series.

"Starring Ruth Wilson (Jane Eyre), Mrs. Wilson is a powerful three-part drama inspired by the memoir of Ms. Wilson’s grandmother and family history.

"Set in 1940s and 1960s London and 1930s India, the series follows Alison Wilson, who thinks she is happily married until her husband, Alec, dies and a woman turns up on the doorstep claiming that she is the real Mrs. Wilson. Alison is determined to prove the validity of her own marriage – and Alec’s love for her – but is instead led into a world of disturbing secrets."

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/mrs-wilson/#

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

A new find is Mrs. Wilson from BBC. It's based on a true story and is available on Prime until October 31. Very well done and a newer series.

"Starring Ruth Wilson (Jane Eyre), Mrs. Wilson is a powerful three-part drama inspired by the memoir of Ms. Wilson’s grandmother and family history.

"Set in 1940s and 1960s London and 1930s India, the series follows Alison Wilson, who thinks she is happily married until her husband, Alec, dies and a woman turns up on the doorstep claiming that she is the real Mrs. Wilson. Alison is determined to prove the validity of her own marriage – and Alec’s love for her – but is instead led into a world of disturbing secrets."

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/mrs-wilson/#

I saw it on PBS and really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Ok so I'm generally really behind the times on stuff like this because I hardly watch any TV but I'm kinda getting interested in The Handmaid's Tale. It's pretty dark--not something you want to watch to escape--but it's very interesting. I'm still on the first season, but I've heard it gets even better in the 2nd season and beyond. I generally have no tolerance for sitting through a movie or hour long tv show, but it's keeping my attention so far. 

• Like 1

Dh and I just watched - The Witcher- on Netflix while convalescing. Not kid friendly, lots of language, some nudity and plenty of violence. I don't like gore so I turn my head during the violent parts. I thought it was an enjoyable fantasy series and we are looking forward to Season 2.

Dh and I also enjoyed- The Umbrella Academy- I thought S2 was better than S1, I enjoy the mix of sci-fi, comedy, and drama and love the characters.

I've been watching- Grace and Frankie- when I have time to myself (ha). It is mostly a comedy. I like shows with strong older ladies, I find it inspiring.

I mostly prefer to stick to lighter fare- fantasy is ok somewhat dark because it is not real life,  comedy is my favorite.

3 hours ago, popmom said:

Ok so I'm generally really behind the times on stuff like this because I hardly watch any TV but I'm kinda getting interested in The Handmaid's Tale. It's pretty dark--not something you want to watch to escape--but it's very interesting. I'm still on the first season, but I've heard it gets even better in the 2nd season and beyond. I generally have no tolerance for sitting through a movie or hour long tv show, but it's keeping my attention so far. 

I watched and enjoyed S1 but haven't watched any of the subsequent ones. It is so dark and a little close to reality at times I found it too much to watch more. It is well done for sure.

I just finished Away season 1 (Netflix) and I'm really looking forward to season 2. DH couldn't get into it. Probably too much family/relationship drama for him when he was preferring more action. I thought it was a good balance of both. Space movies/TV shows do bother me as in they can't realistically depict zero gravity but I thought Away did a pretty good job with it. Not perfect, but pretty good. I just wish my brain would stop analyzing how they were doing it. LOL