Menu

Mixed nuts - does anyone actually like hazelnuts??

SKL

I just picked out and ate all the hazelnuts in my can of mixed nuts, so I would actually enjoy the remainder of the can.

Is there anyone here who likes hazelnuts??  Are they just filler?  Are they super duper awesome nutritionally?  I mean why???

I also do not love walnuts or pecans.  But hazelnuts are like eating tree bark.  What am I missing?

Hazelnuts are super-awesome delicious - especially with a bit of chocolate and sugar.  :laugh:  Yes, they are the base of nutella (which for me has a too much sugar...), but dark chocolate with hazelnuts, or hazelnut-based sweets are the best.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Yes, but they don't stay fresh that long.

I also LOVE Brazil nuts. It was a happy day when I found them flying solo without a ton of salt outside their so-hard-to-open shells.

Brazil nuts (also called Filberts?) are a nut I do not like.  I don't like walnuts either, too bitter.  

My kids love them and eat them raw off the trees in the neighborhood.  In Sept-Oct, all the neighborhood kids are out all afternoon shaking trees and cracking nuts with rocks.  It's sort of a sweet throwback to the good ol' days, actually.  🙂  

I don't like them.  My DH is allergic to them.  They are in practically EVERYTHING here.  Ugh.  

I buy separate nuts that I like, then mix them myself.  lol.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Brazil nuts (also called Filberts?) are a nut I do not like.  I don't like walnuts either, too bitter.  

Hazelnuts and filberts are the same (smallish, roundish).  Brazil nuts ( long , angular edged)  are different.

fresh hazelnuts, especially with chocolate are wonderful imo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I just picked out and ate all the hazelnuts in my can of mixed nuts, so I would actually enjoy the remainder of the can.

Is there anyone here who likes hazelnuts??  Are they just filler?  Are they super duper awesome nutritionally?  I mean why???

I also do not love walnuts or pecans.  But hazelnuts are like eating tree bark.  What am I missing?

Imo, if you don’t like pecans you likely also won’t like filberts— but tasting like treebark probably means they’re stale or something.  Yes they are nutritious, and awesome for those of us who like them.  But not if stale, over mature or unripe...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

Hazelnuts and filberts are the same (smallish, roundish).  Brazil nuts ( long , angular edged)  are different.

fresh hazelnuts, especially with chocolate are wonderful imo

Ah, ok, I couldn't remember which were also filberts.

I do not like brazil nuts.  I do like hazelnuts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, freesia said:

I like hazelnuts.  (And I adore pecans and really like walnuts, but you didn't ask about those. . ..)

I like pretty much all nuts, but pecans are my favorites.  Almonds and cashews are also great.  Walnuts, on the other hand, are pretty much on the bottom of the nut pile for me.  I'll eat them, but not with as much enthusiasm...

• Like 1

Love them. They are so sweet and yuuuuummmmmm. I buy them from TJs; a bag will disappear in days in our house.

I'm not sure I've ever had a type of nut I didn't love though. But hazelnuts are near the top of the list for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Filberts are hazel nuts. Oops, that's been covered.

I am surprised how many people do not like walnuts...I think they are divine with dried tart cherries from Trader Joe's. I do not particularly care for nuts of any kind in a baked good, though for some reason, I am fine with them on top of baked goods or on top of frosting. Silly distinction, but I think maybe it's a texture thing.

I like pecans, but they seem astringent when I eat very many.

I like most nuts, lol! 

Edited by kbutton

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Filberts are hazel nuts. Oops, that's been covered.

I am surprised how many people do not like walnuts...I think they are divine with dried tart cherries from Trader Joe's. I do not particularly care for nuts of any kind in a baked good, though for some reason, I am fine with them on top of baked goods or on top of frosting. Silly distinction, but I think maybe it's a texture thing.

I like pecans, but they seem astringent when I eat very many.

I like most nuts, lol! 

I love pecans!

yes - we eat hazlenuts. one of our most favorite desserts is based on hazelnuts.  (chocolate Christmas tree hazelnut stump.)   we dont' buy mixed nuts - but we will buy hazelnuts.  we will buy walnuts and pecans specifically for baking only.

peanuts are filler in mixed nuts.

Nutella is made with hazelnuts...

Just now, ScoutTN said:

I love hazelnuts!

We have a recipe for hazelnut blondies that is amazing! 

Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread is way, way better than Nutella. Half the sugar. Youcan actually taste the nuts. 

Wait, where do I get this?  Whole Foods, perhaps?? 

Although I'm currently on a no-sugar kick, so it's probably still a no-no... 😥

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Wait, where do I get this?  Whole Foods, perhaps?? 

Although I'm currently on a no-sugar kick, so it's probably still a no-no... 😥

WF, sure. It is $2.00 less/jar at my Kroger though! Try a regular grocery with a goid natural foods section. It does have sugar and cocoa, but it is Yummy! 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I haven't met a nut I don't like. I mean, plain peanuts are just so-so but even then, I love all things peanut butter. 

Have you ever tried Trader Joe’s old fashioned blister peanuts? They are SO good!

• Like 1

Now I feel like I want to know everyone’s favorite nut. 😂 I love pretty much all nuts, but my all time super favorite is pistachios. Next up would be almonds, peanuts, and pecans. 

Edited by mmasc
ETA: peanuts!

I think walnuts are my fave. Close behind: pistachios, cashews, Brazil nuts (if they're UNshelled).  Pecans and almonds are everyday, good nuts.  And I like sunflower and pumpkin seeds...though I suppose those are seeds (I somewhat group them together.) LOL. 

• Like 1