Menu

Game show question about marriage

Night Elf

Proposal  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Did you marry the first guy who proposed to you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other, explain if you choose to do so.

So I'm watching an old game show and now I'm curious. The question was 'we asked 100 married women and asked them, did you marry the first man who proposed to you?' The answer was 46. That means 54 did not marry the first guy who proposed.

I've only been proposed to twice since I've been married twice. I dated other guys but never to the point where we thought we'd get married so the question was never asked.

So... did you marry the first guy who proposed to you?

I'll allow multiple answers but please explain why you answered more than one answer.

Edited by Night Elf

Yes, but I know multiple people (including both my dad and my youngest brother) who had broken engagements. One lady I know and her first fiance called off their engagement 3 days before their wedding by mutual agreement and since it was too late to get their money back held a "we're not getting married party". She's now married to someone else and I'm not sure what happened to him.

Hm. I don't think dh ever actually proposed... Somehow the subject came up and we agreed... so, 'other' :lol:

ETA: no one else ever proposed to me, but dh did propose to someone else. He was engaged a number of years before I met him, but they broke off the engagement.

Edited by Matryoshka

I was sort of getting to know this boy who was older than me when I was in high school. He gave me his class ting and told me he had been looking up states where we could get married as soon as I turned 16. I'm not sure if that was a proposal or not, but 2 days later I gave him back his ring and ended it. Creepy!

My dh is the 3rd person I ever dated, and the first seriously. So, if creepy guy doesn't count, then I did marry the first proposal.

I've never been engaged to anyone other than my DH, but I had a couple of proposals before that. I am counting one boy who was very young (teen) when he proposed. His attention bordered on obsessive. I broke things off when I realized how dark/obsessed he was.

• Like 1

Yes, then got a simplified divorce two months later when a married friend sat me down and pointed out what a dumb move it had been. (Marriage was one of convenience because a gay friend felt he needed cover to safely join the Marines. We didn't really think through all the legal entanglement marriage actually entails. I was 19.)

Other.....

A guy I was dating at 18yo  in Oregon, was moving to Oklahoma to go to work for his father's company. He talked very seriously about us getting married and me moving with him. I made sure he understood that, no matter how our strong our relationship was, I was not going to do that, so we dated until he left and then immediately broke up.

Dh and I met a few months later.  Dh didn't really propose. We had been together 3+ yars, I was pregnant and we decided to get married. We planned our JP wedding in just a few days. He did say "will you marry me?" when he put the ring on my finger, but it was out of tradition, not a romantic proposal. 

Edited by Tap

Me too. Engaged at 19, married at 20. We have now been married 31 1/2 years. Go us! It has not been easy at all, but we are a good team. There is no one else in the world I would want to go through life with.

Agreed! We made an excellent choice with one another. I haven't found a man I'd actually rather go through life with in all the intervening time. Not kidding. He is pretty much the perfect combination of qualities for me, with the only downside being immense stubbornness beyond even my own.

I had a few guys I talked marriage with, but I only received a promise ring from one before DH.  

DH and I were the only ones who set a date and followed through with it.  I don't think he ever really proposed though.  Hmmm.....maybe we aren't really legit.  :lol:

I got married at age 29, so I was "older" by many people's standards.

No.  I said no to the first one.  I was 20 and so very not ready to be married.  He was, though. I had thought we were having fun and just being young and impetuous.  I broke his heart.  I cannot ever say "I'm sorry" enough for that.  He was a wonderful man and deserved a lot better than that. 

After that, I was very careful to be clear and specific that there was not going to be any "forever" with anyone I dated.  I was very clear about that with my now-dh, too.  I knew the first time I told him that I was just lying to myself.  Stubborn as I am, though, I kept him quite at arm's length for a long time, but he stayed anyway.  He never really proposed.  He would tell me, from time to time, "You know I'm going to marry you, eh?"  I would always just laugh, but then one day he said it and I called his bluff.  We eloped and that'll be 20 years ago on March 13th.  

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 7

Well, I married the second man who asked me to marry him, but neither did any sort of special proposal.  I said yes each time, but broke it off with the first guy because I didn't think we could live together.  Honestly, each time I was just so relieved that someone wanted to have a family with me and glad I wouldn't be alone forever.

Yes, both times.  The first one I was 17 and it was a huge mistake that took me 5 years to rectify.  The second was the best decision I've made and we've been together for 17 years (although it took 3 years after I said yes to actually tie the knot).

_I'm also the only person either of them ever proposed to, which is kind of sad for the ex but he's not a nice person, so to be somewhat expected. 

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Yes. I also married the first guy I dated. :lol:

Me too. My younger sister, who dated extensively, thought I was insane. I explained I knew what I wanted, narrowed down options before actually dating, and would have ended the relationship if I decided we weren't headed to the marriage I wanted. We've been married 14 years.

• Like 2

Yes, unless I count the Saudi Arabian "prince" who said if I married him I'd become a princess.  (I'm pretty sure he was making it up!)

I did have a couple other somewhat serious boyfriends before my dh, but broke them off before it got to that point.

• Like 1

No. My highschool boyfriend also proposed to me on my 19th birthday. I had said before I don't want to be one of those get-engaged-at-18 prople. So, he waited until I turned 19. 😕 I knew in my heart I was not going to marry him, but I did not have the where-with-all to do anything about it at that time. Oddly enough, I never actually said "yes" when he proposed. I took the ring, put it on, and hugged him. My sister, who was videoing, said, "You didn't even say Yes!" Well, yeah maybe here's a sign.

• Like 2

No. I was 18, he was 21. It was a love at first sight kind of thing. The second I met him I knew I'd marry him. I don't at all believe in that kind of thing, but there it was and it was undeniable. Apparently it went both ways. He was only here a short time on a visa; he lived on the other side of the world in the land of kangaroos and in the days before email, it took weeks to hear from each other. There was no money for sponsorship or travel; he was a university student and we had no way to get back to each other. The day he left I stupidly went to see Green Card in the theatre; never have I cried so much.

I did marry the next person I dated, although he never actually proposed. We are celebrating 23 years this fall. :)

• Like 2

Apparently according to Time magazine, 20-25% of all engagements are broken. While I knew that it was a fairly common occurrence, it surprises me to see it that high. I would've guessed it was maybe around 10%.

I'm surprised too -- do you know if that number includes rejected proposals?  I wonder what is more common: more broken engagements or denied proposals? 

• Like 1

Technically, no one has ever proposed to me! It's just not in my tradition. A previous boyfriend and I talked about marriage. He was very keen, while I was uncertain, which is why we ended up breaking up.

I married the second man with whom I talked about marriage, but like I said, he didn't propose. It was something we discussed and decided on jointly.

Reading these reminds me that DH actually proposed to me twice. Once was in his stocking feet, down on both knees, in my dorm room. The second was once we'd picked out a ring for me, at a "romantic location" picked by him, down on one knee. I did say yes both times. To this day, I think of the first one the most fondly. It was definitely more his (and my) style than #2.

• Like 1