Menu

How much is this house near you?

mommyoffive

It would be at least $500K here on a 1/4 acre lot. To get the land, you'd have to go out of town a bit, which would save you some money on the location, but it would likely have to be new construction to get the combination of size and acreage. I think you'd be looking at about $650K for that size house with that acreage. We are in a hot housing market - resales in my neighborhood are going for more than the asking price and spending less than a week on the market (the house a few doors sold in less than 24 hours). New construction is once again being sold before it's started and builders are building spec houses. 

ETA: Housing prices are roughly $135 per square foot, I don't know how the acreage would impact that. 

Edited by TechWife

It would depend on how close was close.

Right in the city, it would be hard to find that acerage.  But a similar kind of house in a city subdivision with less land would be from about $3- 500,000.  In city center it would probably mean an older home and would run from about $600,000 up to over a million, but not far over it. 

You could find it in some of the newer suburbs that are just outside the city, say 1-3 acres.  They seem to start at around $400,000 and go up to maybe $800,000.

If you go into really rural areas you could get a very large house with lots of bedrooms and land for under $300,000, it would probably be an older home that had not been renovated extensively but still in good shape.  It could be hard to find 3.5 bathrooms in a place like that though, generally they have one put in when they first had indoor plumbing and maybe one more added more recently.

Hard to find in our area, most houses with 5 bd are way over 3000 sf.

Here's a search of 5bd and 1+ acreage though in our area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Woodland-Park_CO/beds-5/sqft-13/acre-1/sby-1?ncs=37416,2000903,13709,70831,39258

ETA, we live in a very beautiful area about 30 min from a major city.

Edited by goldberry

Hard to find in our area, most houses with 5 bd are way over 3000 sf.

Here's a search of 5bd and 1+ acreage though in our area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Woodland-Park_CO/beds-5/sqft-13/acre-1/sby-1?ncs=37416,2000903,13709,70831,39258

ETA, we live in a very beautiful area about 30 min from a major city.

That 450k house on 16acres is unbelievable!

• Like 1

I'm sure at least $700k. If it is in the next county over, probably at least $800K. If it's moving further away from Baltimore/DC, if will be a bit less; $550-650K.

That 450k house on 16acres is unbelievable!

The catch is that although it is technically in city limits it is about 20 minutes from town.  We are already about 30 minutes from the city, so that would make it almost an hour for that house, assuming good weather and not in winter.  That makes a difference for most of us around here.

ETA, I used to live further out myself, about that distance.  We moved into the small town here about a year ago. We don't have to deal with work travel, but even just homeschooling a teenager was very difficult at that distance.

Edited by goldberry

Over an acre is hard to find. Tear down lots in my neighborhood are generally between 1/2 and 1/2 acre and run around $400K. We have 3/4 acre and bought in the pit of the recession. Friends bought a 5 bedroom around the corner that they're gutting. It's on .33 acre (sloped, largely unusable) and paid just under $500K.

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

On at least 1 acre or land (1-5)

Nice inside, either new or updated.  No gutting involved. 

Editing because I was wrong after I actually checked. There are exactly 6 properties that are 3000 square feet or more. The cheapest is 695,000. The most is 1.5. However, all of these are over 4000 square feet. Everything at the 3000 square feet range has 4 bedrooms, not five. Prices are around 500k for those. If  you reduce acreage to 1/2-3/4 acre, you have a few more options but not many. Mostly 4 bedrooms.

Edited by QueenCat

There's only one that big for sale in my town so the sample size is small. It is $299,900, but it is right next to a dilapidated house with old cars and boats around it, so I think probably $350,000 if it had a nice looking neighboring house.

In my local community there were only two houses that met your qualifications but one was perhaps fancier than needed for your criteria and that one was over a million. The other was 850,000. When I expanded the search to include the bigger next door city I saw things as low as 675,000 that was nice inside.

In my corner of the UK about Ă‚Â£1million but a lot less if you don't need that much land. A house that big plus land tends to be really lovely old rural historical houses with their gardens/orchards intact or similar so not cheap but also not super common. With a small typical British garden there's quite a lot around probably about Ă‚Â£400k and up they'd probably be relatively small on space though too.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 2

That's not really the style of housing we have in our area. My search came up with one listing, for over $800,000. No idea what shape the house is in, but you do get a water (ocean) view.

If the taxes somehow don't bother you, the heating bill would be faint worthy for something so huge, though.

• Like 1

5 bedrooms aren't easy to come by here.

In my exact location you just would not find that house at all. A small number of older homes might have 3/4-1 acre but it's unlikely to be close to 3000 SF or have five bedrooms or more than 2 bathrooms. It's also likely that it needs a lot of work. The houses that size with that number of beds and baths are new and hover between 750k-1.25 million and are built so close together you could rap on your neighbor's kitchen window by sticking your broom handle out of your kitchen window. The lots are like 4000-6000 SF. The backyard fence is often within 10 feet of the sliding door off the family room.

In most adjacent suburbs, that would potentially be available for anywhere from ~1-3million dollars depending on the age of the home and the amount of land. Under a million, but not much under and perhaps over, without the land would also be on the table.

I'm not looking in that range (we are looking for the "small needs cosmetic work but still has a decently sized yard house") but we will be somewhat lucky (and willing to put in a lot of sweat equity) to stay in this immediate area at all when we buy our next home. I'd be thrilled with 1500sf, 3-4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for $350K but we may need to exceed that budget or have to forgo the 4th bedroom or 2nd full bath. I see the kind of house you describe though in my searches (I like to see what else is in the neighborhood) though so I am comfortable with my figures.

Edited by LucyStoner

Starting price in my location $300k-$500k, it depends on how winding the road is to the house. You wouldn't have to go too far to find it in the $250k+ but you would really be sacrificing on location and the land would not be very useable (hilly and covered in trees). I did see a gorgeous house fitting that description with a pool and small guest house for $10 million.

It makes a difference whether you want land for privacy or land useful for small-time homestading type stuff. Because you can get a big house on six acres, but they might all be wooded and steep and only there to create privacy or because the lot was not suitable for subdividing. 

So, animals or tramping around in the woods? Or both?

Edited by SamanthaCarter

That's just not a thing here. You could probably find a decent, updated 5 bedroom for between 1-2 million depending on neighborhood. No land, small yard or maybe no yard - some of the larger homes here have less yard, though some have a side yard if they're on the end of a row. Depends.

• Like 1

That is not only lovely, but looks like there's a million dollars worth of history to go along with it!

It sounds like the restoration has been meticulous, but the house is not an unusual age for the area.  My house is on the first map of the county, from the mid 19th century, as are scads of other houses in our village.

ETA: here's a more modern one, recently renovated, same kind of price, one acre:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54662179.html

Edited by Laura Corin

Just checked to see if my guesstimates were right. In my suburban town there are 0 houses that meet your specs. Removing the lot size filter gets me five houses that are equal or greater size/bed/bath wise. They range from $750K to 1.2 million. There is one that is just under $700 but it needs work. None have any land to speak of.

Also, little is selling for list price. Bidding wars and price escalations abound. In some areas, it takes waiving all contingencies/inspection and adding a fat price escalation to score a house at all.

Edited by LucyStoner

You know, most of the homes that big around here get bought before they get reno'ed and then they're broken into two units and sold separately. Thus, the price for the fixer uppers in that profile is pretty large because the profit for turning it into two 2-3 bedroom units is pretty high. Even our 3 bedroom style home is having that happen - they dig out the English basements and break it into two 2 bedroom units.

Edited by Farrar

I expanded the search six miles out and found ONE home in my town that meets the criteria. It was 699. You can drop 100k if you expand to neighboring towns. You could find it, but it would be at least $500,000 and likely involve a supercommute into DC to pay for it.

The cheapest I see listed that seems to fit that description (looking at the photos - the house is from 1900, but it looks new enough inside - judge for yourself by following the link) is $330k, but more typical is $500k-$700k.

http://www.trulia.com/property/1089194139-5930-Salt-Rd-Clarence-NY-14031

That said, if you go further outside the Buffalo area (outer suburbs to rural) you might be able to find more in the $300k-$400k range. Buffalo (as I mentioned in another thread) is an average COL area, fwiw.

ETA: I did already include most Buffalo suburbs in my search. The actual area I live in has 0 houses like you want, so if your goal is to be my immediate neighbor you're out of luck.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

For a fully renovated house in my city, with the sizes you quoted I would say $760-2 million. Depends on amentities and which neighborhood. Housing prices are shooting through the roof here. One of the houses down the road from us is on 10 acres with a 4600 sq ft house pool and a bungalow in the back and it started at 1.2 million, but where I live, acreage past a point actually hurts you. People like the idea but not the work so 1-3 acres are most popular. If you had that same house on 3 acres in the neighborhood behind us, which is a gated executive community, I bet it would go for 1.8.

If you move 2 miles over into the next county those values would drop precipitously. Same house would probably list for 600,000. I think it's highly school district related as well as city name. It's weird. When we were shopping though, we wanted lots of acreage and were open to anywhere within an hour of dh's work. We didn't care what city or town and we still had a really difficult time. It was hard to find the acreage, with a livable house, and the right zoning.

We have a problem of zoning laws changing to be more HOA friendly and less ag friendly. Seems like many prefer the thought of nature over the actual living, breathing, sometimes smelly side of nature. We are friends with some of the people that work at animal control and they get calls from these "nature lovers" complaining about squirrels and skunks on their acreage. So stupid.

Only one house for sale like that in my city - $600k. Next town over (greater household income area) - $1M+.

FWIW, I'm 25min north of Boston. Go 15 minutes south, closer to Boston, the prices start to go up exponentially. Go 15 minutes north, over the border into NH, and the price drops dramatically.

I finding myself thankful that we live where we do reading this thread...  We only have a 4/1 house (and aside from windows and a new roof, it's not updated), but we have 23 acres of land.  Our pond is one acre in size.

I like my space.  It sounds like there's no way we could afford it where many of you live.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

It is hard to get 1 acre here and land is worth a lot. A 3000 square foot house on a nice lot, no where near 1 acre, would be 400K. But, from where we live, I can drive within 30 minutes and find neighborhoods at $100 a square foot and ones at $250+ a square foot. And we do not have basements here so 3000 square feet would be it, the end, no more.

It'd be high $600K - high $700K for a fairly remodeled home built during the 90s. It'd have new paint, new counters, new flooring, but maybe just painted cabinets or maybe just new kitchen cabinets (but older, painted bathroom cabinets). But the 90s stuff would be high quality, just outdated. Most homes in this area were custom built, not sold by builders or developers. The acre would be manicured.

It used to be that all new homes were required to be a minimum of an acre. That changed 2-3 years ago, and now new homes are only required to be a minimum of a half-acre. Because of that, a newer home on an acre is at a premium because they're fewer and farther between. Those homes would start at $1m or so. We also now have developers and builders coming in, so many entire neighborhoods are only semi-custom.

I live in an affluent pocket of a low COL area. 30 minutes down the road this same house could be had brand-new, builder-standard quality for $200 or so. You'd have to factor in the tearing down of an older home (1920s-1970s) in order to get an acre lot size.

I'm a little surprised (probably biased because our house was $15k on 3/4 of an acre (but only 750 sq ft, and a "tearer-downer", not a "fixer-upper" according to our realtor), but in Texoma near where we used to live the cheapest one I found is $325k (this one is from 1999 though, and has a pool):

http://www.trulia.com/property/3103486763-415-Pr-206-Bonham-TX-75418

I also found a 5 bedroom 3 bath mobile home for $88k, but it was on only 1/3 of an acre and had fewer sq ft (I didn't even know they made mobile homes that big).

None in my town with that much land. Neighboring town:

1 acre $1.1 million with property taxes of $25,758 a year 

5 acres are HARD to find but I found one that was $1,995,000 with property taxes of $49,583 a year! This house also has leaded glass, 8 bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms, built in 1850 and is stone. It backs up to 150 acres of preserved farmland. It also features an outdoor pool and well manicured landscape. 

Yeah I am not moving anytime soon. LOL

I finding myself thankful that we live where we do reading this thread... We only have a 4/1 house (and aside from windows and a new roof, it's not updated), but we have 23 acres of land. Our pond is one acre in size.

I like my space. It sounds like there's no way we could afford it where many of you live.

I love the sound of your property, especially the pond.

I think when people live in HCOL areas, most are probably not expecting to afford much land or that large of a house. My friends (almost all of who are college educated professionals, usually with 2 incomes and earning into the 6 figures) almost all live in much smaller houses on much smaller lots or they rent small houses or apartments. There's a trade off with advantages and disadvantages to both HCOL and LCOL areas. I see a lot of pros to moving to a LCOL area but I'm not willing to uproot my 13 year old who is looking at early college and has worked so hard to find his tribe from this general community, so I think we are stuck in this county or perhaps the southern or northern most tips of 2 adjacent counties. I guess for us the cost of continuity is less than ideal real estate.

ETA- my medium term goal is to buy a small cabin with some land WAY out and just make it a weekend/vacation spot. There are places like that that are not too much, especially since the brother I get on with wants to go in on it and make it a family spot.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

$700k if you are willing to live out (1.5-2 hours to the beach if no traffic)

$1.2M+ if you wanted to live "in town" (20-30 minutes to the beach)

All those ARE with 1 acre+, but they are few and far between and "in town" you still have quite a few zoning regulations so you may not be able to use the acres like you would want.