Menu

UPDATE in original post: In the ER with ds and I'm so worried they won't find anything wrong

speedmom4

Hello Hive,

I am in the ER with my ds for the second time this week. He has had severe pain and nausea. He also had abnormal labs in the first ER.

My son has had GI issues for years. He is 14 and has pain and vomiting for a very long time. He has had abnormal stomach motility and gastric ulcers. He has been on and off meds for most of his life.

Currently he is only 95 pounds. He has lost at least 7 pounds in the past few weeks. He's only 5' 1" but he has no body fat at all to lose. Our GI doc called yesterday and said his labs looked abnormal and they are concerned about Addison's disease. We had a cortisol panel this morning. He ended up in so much pain that his whole body was shaking. He was so weak that he couldn't walk into the ER. He has had more labs in the ER and a CT scan.

My biggest fear is that they tell us everything is ok and send us home. The morphine has helped a lot and he's not in pain if he isn't moving.

Please pray we get to the bottom of this. He has been dealing with GI issues for so long.

Thank you!

UPDATE: Thank you all for the concern and prayers. I am so incredibly thankful that the ER did a CT scan and found the intussusception. He had surgery within a few hours. Our son is 14 so it's pretty rare to find in a child his age. It turned out to be quite large, approximately 18" in length. The surgeon had never seen one so large. Thankfully he was able to pull it out laporascopically. He found the lead point was a Meckel's diverticulum. Very unusual as well.

What has me so upset is that my son has had vomiting and pain issues his entire life but not one doc has ever ordered a CT scan. What's worse is that early Wednesday morning we went to a different hospital and they sent him home even when he was clearly still so very sick. I even took him to the pediatrician on Thursday because he couldn't keep the the Zofran down. I'm so glad I trusted my gut that the docs were all wrong and that something was wrong. It could have been disastrous. Thank you all!

Edited by speedmom4
  • Like 30

Hello Hive,

I am in the ER with my ds for the second time this week. He has had severe pain and nausea. He also had abnormal labs in the first ER.

My son has had GI issues for years. He is 14 and has pain and vomiting for a very long time. He has had abnormal stomach motility and gastric ulcers. He has been on and off meds for most of his life.

Currently he is only 95 pounds. He has lost at least 7 pounds in the past few weeks. He's only 5' 1" but he has no body fat at all to lose. Our GI doc called yesterday and said his labs looked abnormal and they are concerned about Addison's disease. We had a cortisol panel this morning. He ended up in so much pain that his whole body was shaking. He was so weak that he couldn't walk into the ER. He has had more labs in the ER and a CT scan.

My biggest fear is that they tell us everything is ok and send us home. The morphine has helped a lot and he's not in pain if he isn't moving.

Please pray we get to the bottom of this. He has been dealing with GI issues for so long.

Thank you!

Does he happen to have an allergy to any antibiotics?  Do you eat non-organic meat or dairy?  People can react to that with GI issues, although in the long run it does damage to one's liver and kidneys.

Hello Hive,

Thank you!

Praying! It is do awful when our kids battle illness. Praying they find answers right away.

Have they checked for Crohns?

My son went to urgent care then ER who sent him home.

Next day he was admitted and we discovered he has Crohns.

I'm still upset with myself for not being more aggressive at the hospital the first time.

Sending healing thoughts!!!

• Like 2

Your poor son! I'm glad they caught it and hopefully there will be no permanent damage around the area - intussusception is serious and can go south quickly if there is necrosis or obstruction. I'm praying for his recovery and that this was a one-off occurrence - poor kid has enough GI drama without this on top of it :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

Well that didn't take long...intussusception. Surgeon on the way.

Thanks for the support!

Poor kid! Ds had that when he was 6 months old, with a nice belly scar to prove it! He was literally trying to crawl away from the pain, up the bed, or out of my arms and over my shoulder. He never has a recurrence but I worried about it for years. (Incidentally, they chose to take his appendix out at the same time so if there was a recurrence we'd have one less potential 'stomach pain issue' to rule out.)