Menu

Just for Fun...What was your very first date movie?

Ewe Mama

Mine was Steel Magnolias. The date was with a friend who suddenly asked me out. It was awkward, but we stayed friends even though dating didn't work for us. He was very sweet while. I cried through half of the movie. Nothing says "romance" like a red, runny nose, huh?

So, what was your first date movie?

White Fang. The bad thing is that we underestimated the time and were only able to see the first part of the movie before we had to leave due to curfew. Later the next weekend we went back to watch again so we could see the end. The theater was 60 miles so that was a big deal.

Dances with Wolves, I think.

His parents decided to see it too. They dropped us off, waited awhile, then came in to the very back of the theater and we all pretended not to see each other. Ah, young teen dating.

ETA: Dh and I got together because a movie was sold out. We went to see Grosse Pointe Blank with mutual friends, but it was packed. So dh was like, let's get tickets to the late show and see whatever's playing beforehand that's empty. Double feature. I was like, okay. So we saw The Saint, a rightfully forgotten film with Val Kilmer. And afterward, it was too late to go meet up with my friends who were supposed to take me home so I spent the whole night talking to dh instead. Memories. :D

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

I remember my first movie with DH because it was memorable, but not first date movie.  First with DH was Mel Gibson's Passion movie.  He is fluent in Latin.   When the soldiers are beating Jesus Christ, he chuckled.  I was aghast,.  I'm not one to talk in a movie or strike anyone, but he got a sharp elbow in the side and I said something to him.  He didn't understand why I was upset at first, then he did.  What he was chuckling at was the inane normal things the soldiers were saying to each other.  Things like, "How is your wife?"  "She is good."   "We need to get this done, I need to go do..."  

• Like 3

Beauty and the Beast..lol.  I don't know why we picked a Disney movie...but it was pretty good.  

Us too, LOL!

For me, I have no idea the first movie I ever saw on any date with anyone. BUT, the first movie date I had with my now DH was Beauty & the Beast. We actually went as friends, with a whole group from our youth group, but that was sort of the turning point in our friendship/relationship and from then on we were building up to dating. (ah, high school love....)

The first movie we ever saw at the same time though was Father of the Bride -- I actually drove him & his then girlfriend, and my sister & her boyfriend, to go see it (none of them could drive yet). We joke about that from time to time. 

I don't know the first movie we saw together after we were officially dating.....

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I was in 11th grade.  My date was in 12th.

My date thought the line about Bill having an Oedipal complex was hilarious.  After the movie he asked me if I knew what an Oedipal complex was.  I lied and said, "Of course I do!"

I went home to try to look it up in a dictionary because the internet hadn't been invented yet. I couldn't find it because how was I to know it began with an O?

Edipal.  Etipal.  Itipal?  Idibal? 

Life was hard before the internet and we wallowed in our ignorance.  :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 10

Huh, well, not sure what constitutes a date, so that is tough.  Our boarding school had movie night every Friday night.   When I had a boyfriend, I would sit with him.  But I don't remember being asked out to one of those.

My DH and I went to see Forest Gump as our first date.  I didn't know it was a date.  I thought we were going as friends.  Oops.

It was a film of Pink Floyd as they got ready to perform at Stonehenge.  We wanted to see something with a plot.  We waited quite a while for a story to materialize, but when that seemed futile we gave up and went for tacos. 

• Like 1

Not sure. I remember it was during the summer before 9th grade and I remember the guy but not the movie.

Dh and I saw one of the Harry Potter movies. He had no interest at all and only went with me because no one else wanted too. He slept through a good portion of it, which he used to do a lot during movies even if he wanted to see it.

The first movie date I remember was "Can't Buy Me Love," which I went to see with a boy from my class who was nicknamed "Woody." Woody was a heck of a nice guy, but right around the same time, I also went out with a different guy who ended up becoming my boyfriend. Fate screwed up. Woody was the better pick.

I do remember going on a sort of double-date earlier than that, but I'm not sure what movie it was. It may have been "Desperately Seeking Susan."

DH and I have only seen a very few movies together in all our years together. I can't even remember the last movie (in theater) we saw together, but I'm pretty sure it was before we had kids. He just doesn't care for movies in theater much and I have taken the kids to see movies 99% of the time. He did take DS16 to see that American Sniper movie, but that might be the only movie he's taken a kid to see.

I don't remember ANY movies I saw with my first boyfriend. Must have blocked all those memories out!

When dh and I started dating, we lived a 3 hour drive apart. We met halfway once early in our relationship and went to the movies then out to dinner. The waitress was awful. I have a ton of respect for how hard that job is and have a high tolerance for mistakes or slow service but wow, she was flat out insulting us. It was so awkward.

Then, we were going to find someplace to have dessert and his car broke down! We sat in a grocery store parking lot for hours waiting for his best friend to come pick him up. There was no fixing the car in the dark. We made the best of it and talked endlessly, getting to know each other.

With all the hullabaloo, neither of us remembers what movie we saw!

First movie date that was a success was Along Came Polly. We watch it every year as sort of an anniversary. I bury my face in his chest and plug my ears with the sweaty basketball scene every time partly because it is super gross and partly for nostalgia. ;)

dh and I went and saw raiders of the lost ark together.  (first run) we'd both already seen it (me, multiple times).

eta: I have very vague memories of seeing a movie with another guy, but have no memory of the movie.

Edited by gardenmom5

None :lol: My dates were to the concert hall or botanic gardens for orchestra performances. For movies, we tend to go in a big group and girlfriends/boyfriends come if they are interested in the same movie. So it isn't even a group date.

• Like 1

First date at a movie I went on was with a 19 year old boy (I was 17) whose name I can not remember.  He took me to one of the Naked Gun movies, it was also the last date I went on with him, 100% because of his movie choice.  I mean I thought he was cool, he was in a band that actually played at the local bar/music venues and everything, so, so wrong.

I remember going to see Platoon with my high school boyfriend. So romantic! :p

My college roommate once had two dates with two different guys on one day. (How she managed that, I don't know). The first date was at the movies to see Hamlet (Mel Gibson version). But the movie went on for so long that she had to leave before it was over to go to meet the other guy for her second date. :svengo: She left the first guy sitting there, watching the end of the movie by himself.

Edited by Storygirl

Well I think it was The Dead Zone.  My date didn't like it, I thought it was not bad.  The next (and last) date we saw some James Bond movie, which he liked and I didn't like.  :P  I guess we weren't meant to be.  :P  I didn't actually like the guy, but I was afraid to say "no" to my first date invitation, LOL.

I think the first movie I went to on a date was "Blazing Saddles."  An odd choice as neither of us knew what it was about, but it came highly recommended.  It had been out a while so the theater was almost empty.  I think this would have benefited from a better audience.  I saw it many years later with dh and thought it was way funnier.  The first movie I saw on a date with dh was Batman (Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson version.)  But, I missed almost half of it because I was on call for work and the pager went off halfway through.  I had to spend about 45 minutes on the pay phone in the lobby fixing the problem. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 1