Menu

Wet Hair

MamaBearTeacher

So what do you think of a grown woman who goes out in public with wet hair? I have a son who for medical reasons needs to sleep in the mornings and I have to be really quiet -no hair dryer. I have really thick hair that basically takes all day to dry without a hair dryer. I towel dry but it still looks very wet. I don't see others out in public with wet hair. It's not just in public but when I drop my other son off for activities. I don't want them to judge him badly based on his wet-haired mom.

I go out in wet hair all the time. Maybe because I grew up in a beach town, so people were often damp in public, but I never thought much of it. I have even shown up to church with still wet hair. I try not to have it dripping/slicked down wet...I towel it and maybe use the hair dryer for just a minute, or drive to where I'm going with the windows down to let it air dry faster. But it's still wetish when I get there. 

If it was just to drop off for activities I wouldn't care at all no matter how wet it was. I mean, the assume you just took a shower, but so what?

• Like 14

I would assume your hair is wet.

I go out with wet hair all the time. One benefit to crazy curls! 

Yup - I can't blow dry my hair, so it's frequently wet. Curly hair and blowdryers don't work well together. :-) It's never occurred to me to think anything of seeing someone out with wet hair aside from thinking that they either showered or swam recently.

• Like 7

I wouldn't care or think anything of it to see someone with wet hair. But if you do, can you dry your hair far away from the bedrooms? Do you have a basement can you go into to dry your hair? Or in the kitchen? Etc?

Edited by Garga

I go out with wet hair all the time.  It takes FOREVER to dry my long, extremely thick hair and if I'm not brushing it the entire time, it goes all wacky directions.  Or I can just brush it, throw it back in a low pony and let it dry naturally and it will come out nice and smooth with a slight wave once it's dry. 

I do try to wash it at night so that it's dry in the morning but I've been known to go into work with wet hair when I had no choice but to wash it in the morning.  It takes until about noon to dry if I wash it at 7:30/8am.

I wouldn't think anything of it.  I see lots of women in Sunday morning church with wet hair.  Men too, for that matter.

And, I can't imagine thinking badly of someone because his mother goes out with wet hair!   Really puzzled by that. 

• Like 3

I go out with wet hair all the time.   

I have been surprised a few times when people IRL have made nasty comments about wet hair.   I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would care about some non-professional having wet hair.   

What drives me crazy is people who go out with DIRTY hair and don't try to cover it up.   At least you know wet hair is (probably) clean! 

• Like 1

I read the title of this post and immediately got worried. I go out with wet hair all the time (curly hair issues), and I almost didn't open this post for fear of reading a bunch of comments about how uncouth it is to have wet hair in public. I'm glad that apparently I'm not offending many people as I go about my mornings!

• Like 6

I frequently go out with wet hair, especially when I'm taking dd to activities in the morning.  My friend frequently shows up at the same activities with wet hair.  We joke that we're on the same schedule.  It never occurs to me to worry about what people think of my wet hair.  If I see someone with wet hair in the morning, I may notice and think, "She's clean out of the shower."  If it's afternoon or evening, I'd think she came from the pool or gym.  If I know them, and give them a hug, I might tell them they smell good.  ;)  

I wonder if this is another one of those issues that is different in other parts of the country. I can tell you that here in OR, going out in wet hair is absolutely fine. I can think of several people in our small church who show up regularly with wet hair. I only dry the front part. My kids' hair is often wet. And everyone's hair gets wet in the rain anyway. This is just a non-issue here--no one would think twice about it. But I always think women in the south as being a bit more "put together". And I wouldn't show up at relatives' midwestern churches with wet hair. And it makes sense that in colder parts of the country you wouldn't go out in winter in wet hair. So one solution is to just move to the west coast where standards are a bit more lax!

• Like 2

I don't blow dry my hair and it is long and thick. It will be up and wet for over 24 hours either way, and I'm not refusing public contact just to avoid that.

I really would think nothing of it. It would only catch my eye if the woman was in something like pajamas and slippers in public AND wet hair down, because I'd wonder what she needed in such a hurry she couldn't get dressed. But it would be a stray thought in a line of them that normally parade through my brain, not a judgment about her.

I would not notice at all.

I often go out with wet hair.  I will be going to the dentist in a little bit with wet hair in fact.  I just got home from taekwondo and need to shower before heading back out and I never, ever blowdry my hair.

I don't use a hair dryer and I swim so my hair is always wet. People just usually ask me how my swim was. I have even had people tell me that I look great with wet hair. As with everything, just carry yourself with confidence.

I don't blow dry my hair and it is long and thick. It will be up and wet for over 24 hours either way, and I'm not refusing public contact just to avoid that.

I really would think nothing of it. It would only catch my eye if the woman was in something like pajamas and slippers in public AND wet hair down, because I'd wonder what she needed in such a hurry she couldn't get dressed. But it would be a stray thought in a line of them that normally parade through my brain, not a judgment about her.

Yup - I showered before dinner last night and my hair is still wet in places almost 24 hrs later. Thick hair takes a long time to dry!

One of the many reasons I have a collection of hats/cloth caps -- I do not have the desire nor energy to put into taming my hair when I go out [and the slightest moisture or breeze will frizz it all over no matter what] and it takes ages to dry. After a few rude/uncomfortable remarks years ago I decided to follow in my wonderful clever grandmother's footsteps and wear a hat or cloth cap when going out or having others over and simplify what I do with my hair except for special occasions with family who still love me at my soggiest or frizziest :) . 

However, I doubt I would notice someone else with wet or frizzy hair and likely would not give it much thought. 

I think you just have to feel comfortable with it yourself, regardless of what others around you might think.

If it makes you feel uncomfortable, perhaps you could shower and dry your hair at night. I hate to blow dry my hair, so I shower at night and then let my hair air dry, often while I'm sleeping (I realized some people can't do this, or they end up with crazy hair, but it works fine for me).