Menu

How do you feel about going to the movies?

chiguirre

I was talking with my parents last night about the shooting in Lafayette and then they asked our plans for this weekend. My answer was the usual: go to the pool and maybe see a movie. Then I thought about that. Do I really want to go to the multiplex? I'd like to see Antman in 3D, but is it really a wise choice to expose ourselves to potential shooters?

Will theater attendance drop precipitously in the wake of this shooting? I know that this incident will drop off people's radars in a couple of weeks, but it could easily happen again. In fact, I don't think it's a question of if, it's a question of when. I'm usually not a fearful person, but a dark movie theater where you are, by definition, not paying attention to your surroundings suddenly seems like a bad idea.

My feelings have nothing to do with the shooting. I like movies in theaters, but I see them as a tremendous waste of my money. They just cost too much. I do go to see a movie in a theater about once a year. I hate 3d movies. They give me a tremendous headache. Those, I will not watch  unless a 2d option is available.

• Like 12

We go to lots of movies but we have a great small town theater. 9 screens, free refills on soda and popcorn, and tickets are only $5.50.  

I don't worry about a shooting. That could just as easily happen in a restaurant, Walmart, or anywhere else. Just not something I worry about. 

• Like 11

I don't go to movies because they're horribly expensive for a family to go. :)  I'm not scared of being shot at one...or at a mall, recruiter's office, open air market, cafe, bank........

Crazy shooters are few and far between.  It's just being bombarded with news from everywhere that makes us think they're more prevalent.

My feelings have nothing to do with the shooting. I like movies in theaters, but I see them as a tremendous waste of my money. They just cost too much. I do go to see a movie in a theater about once a year. I hate 3d movies. They give me a tremendous headache. Those, I will not watch  unless a 2d option is available.

This. My opinion and experience are just the same as Lolly's.

I used to go to the movies once a week in my much younger years. I love sitting in theater. Some movies just do better on the big screen. Because it's 30 minutes away and expensive now, I go about twice a year. 

I am not fearful. I've been to some theater in Lafayette, LA, not sure if it's the same one as it's been a while. I felt quite saddened reading the news the other day. 

I am more concerned about reckless drivers than lone gunmen. I live in a small town that is at the crossroads of two interstates. One is known for crazy drivers. 

• Like 2

That shooting has nothing to do with my going to the movies or not. I still drive on the freeways, no matter how many crashes I hear about. Personally, I seem to have too short an attention span to indulge much in full length movies these days. They are expensive and unless it's a particularly good one, I just don't want to waste my $. Sometimes I'll take my kids to one. As a special treat. They love the experience of a dark theater, big screen, etc.

• Like 1

Movies are too expensive. When we go to the movies we always go in the morning when the tickets are discounted. Every movie is judged on whether it is spongeworthy. Some movies we wait until we can rent and some we go see on the big screen.

As for the fear of a shooting, I can't live my life that way. I would never leave the house. I already have hermit tendencies, if I tack fear of an attack on I might never leave. I try to be aware of my surroundings to minimize risks.

• Like 1

Do you know, the United States has a mass murder every two weeks? Do we stop going out entirely? Are you going to stop going to worship services, alter your routes when you MUST go outside to avoid all military installations, not allow your children to go to college?

We have a problem in this country with anger, and guns, and mass murder* (and no, I don't want to get embroiled in a gun control debate today, thank you). However, we can't just lock ourselves inside and hope that will save us... and not just because mass murders happen at home as well. We have to live our lives.

With that said, I rarely go to the movies. I don't like the ticket prices, I don't like the concession prices or options, and I don't like being around other people that much.

* Though it's worth mentioning that mass murder is not even one of the top ten leading causes of death in the US. Less than 1% of all deaths in the US are murders, and those are rarely perpetrated by strangers. You're much more likely to be murdered by a family member than a mass shooter.

• Like 7

I never go to the movies.

However, if I did, I would worry more about some careless driver crossing over a double-yellow line and hitting me head on on the way to the theatre. I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip and I saw so many distracted drivers drifting all over the road. I don't trust other drivers and they are EVERYWHERE!

• Like 5

We rarely go to the movie theatre because of the expense, but the recent shooting wouldn't keep me from going.  It is just so much cheaper to rent from Amazon and pop my own popcorn.  Plus, I can watch a movie in my comfy clothes at home.  My youngest hates going to movies because they are too loud.

• Like 3

Your odds of being killed in your car are much greater and that doesn't stop anyone from getting in their cars.  And insane people could shoot you anywhere.

We don't' see many movies in the theater because it's SO expensive and movies are so readily available to stream these days.  We do like to go see the occasional blockbuster, like avengers on the big screen.  It is fun!  :)

• Like 5

I'm assuming you're asking about the shooting and not our personal opinions on going to the movies. I wouldn't think twice about it despite the shooting. We've seen shootings happen in lots of places. I can't imagine beginning to live like a hermit which is what it would take to avoid crowds. I've even seen a shooting at a grocery store. I can't stop shopping! We'd get mighty hungry.

• Like 1

Your odds of being killed in your car are much greater and that doesn't stop anyone from getting in their cars.  And insane people could shoot you anywhere.

We don't' see many movies in the theater because it's SO expensive and movies are so readily available to stream these days.  We do like to go see the occasional blockbuster, like avengers on the big screen.  It is fun!  :)

Yes, but your odds of being robbed are quite high.  LOL

• Like 3

I see this as an isolated incident.  it's still safer than driving in a heavily congested area. (even ones where the locals don't drive like idiots).

I don't go to movies, because, well .. .lousy movies. (and very overpriced.)  I've only gone to a handful in the last dozen years. a few more I've chosen to watch on dvd. (some I would have seen in a theater, but they have high turnover.)  my kids have made me watch a few on dvd (we have a decent home theater) . .. Ok, I've seen this, can I leave now?

• Like 1

It's one of the problems with having such instant access to media. When you think about how many theaters there are in the US. How many shows they do each day. And this is one incident. Really, what are the odds of this happening to a person?

• Like 1

I don't like going to the movies for entirely different reasons: the dark room with no windows makes me claustrophobic, I can't pause the movie if I want to get up, and it's super expensive. 

Worrying about getting shot is not something I'm going to waste my time on. I'm sure I'm more likely to be killed driving down the highway than I am watching a movie in a theatre.

It doesnt bother me. I usually hit a matinee, and that crowd and time doesnt fit the looney tune profile. I would also guess that there are enough military and police in an evening audience that someone is prepared to take down an active shooter.

Are you assuming this based on your location and a higher than usual number of such trained individuals in the general population?

I've been thinking about movies, too. Not sure how I'm really feeling about future attendance. I need a little more processing time on this one.

We go to the movies but usually only on the discount day.

There are risks everyday. Ships sink, planes crash, impaired drivers cause accidents, buildings burn, riots happen at sporting events and concerts, marriages end in divorce, children are born with disabilities and, unfortunately, bad people hurt others. These things have not deterred me from going on a cruise, flying to Scotland, driving to the mall, visiting the sky deck of the Willis (Sears) Tower, attending a Bears game and rock concerts, remarrying after divorce and having our third child even though we knew something was wrong with our son. While I don't think I take foolish risks I refuse to live my life in fear of a "what if".

When we go anywhere I look around at my surroundings and scope out exits and encourage my children to do the same. I was not pleased when my eldest told me her classroom at Community College had only one entrance/exit and no windows as that leaves everyone in that room vulnerable should the need to quickly escape (fire, tornado, explosion, active shooter, etc.) occur. We discussed possible scenarios and how she could handle them but the reality is the options are limited but we are willing to have her take the risk.

I am 52 and I have met people who were rude and nasty to me but only once have I encountered someone who actually threatened my life. While I was not physically hurt I was badly shaken and it took a while to get over that situation. I learned a lot about myself and how to be more aware and vigilant in the future. I also decided the odds were still in my favor and I refused to live in fear or never venture out of my home again. I feel that is a decision that has to be made every day . . . to live life and love fully and not in total fear. I also believe my personal faith helps me feel safe and grounded and is something I draw strength from.

After the first theater shooting (because mass murder in America now has genres: Theater shootings, church shootings, school shootings, workplace shootings, military base shootings) I did have a moment of panic when my mom wanted to take my kids to a movie, but I squashed it. I can't live like that. If I give into that, I will turn into my mom's husband, who is so afraid of non-americans (!?) that he won't travel outside the US.

• Like 2

I wasn't aware that there was another movie theater shooting.  

Either way, it wouldn't change my mind.  DH and I are movie people.  We've always been movie people.  Some people just don't go to the movies or even see movies at all, really.  When we were first married, we either went to a movie or rented movies multiple times a week.  We just watched a lot of movies.  We never really stopped, but we slowed down with time.  For many years we still rented movies every weekend and went to see movies a lot.  Now we go see what we want to - how many movies we end up seeing varies year to year/month to month (we like superhero movies, action stuff, etc) depending on what's released.  All the kids, we took them to the movies starting when they were around 2 - we just had kids who easily sat through them.  I didn't realize not all kids would until we went to see a Pixar movie with some friends who also had a 2 year old and that kid could NOT sit still!!  He was up walking around, in the aisle, talking... :lol:  :)  I just thought all kids acted the same at the movies, and that mine doing so well was the norm.  Now I know better!  Mine were just born to be movie people, too, apparently.  :lol:

As far as shootings go, we could get shot anywhere.  Anything could happen, anywhere.  I don't think about stuff like that - it isn't important.  Whether I die as an old lady in bed, in a car accident, a natural disaster, a plane crash, a passerby in a shooting... oh well.  It was clearly my time to go.  It is what it is.  *shrug*  No point bothering about it!  Nothing about death is scary to me.

• Like 2

I feel they're a rip-off considering how cheaply you can rent or buy DVDs. I see movies maybe 3 times a year in the theater—but that's because it's almost never worth the price to me, not because I'm afraid of getting killed. I took my older DD to Jurassic World because friends of hers were going, and with the 3D surcharge it cost almost $25 for just the two of us—without snacks! Ridiculous.

• Like 1

All the kids, we took them to the movies starting when they were around 2 - we just had kids who easily sat through them.  I didn't realize not all kids would until we went to see a Pixar movie with some friends who also had a 2 year old and that kid could NOT sit still!!  He was up walking around, in the aisle, talking... :lol:   :)  I just thought all kids acted the same at the movies, and that mine doing so well was the norm.  Now I know better!  Mine were just born to be movie people, too, apparently.   :lol:

This made me smile. A friend recently asked if we wanted to take our kids to the movies together. I totally laughed. First, I can't remember the last thing I saw in a theater. It's been probably 10 years since I saw anything in a theater. Second, my kids don't watch things. We don't have a TV. While we do watch stuff on the computer from time to time, they aren't interested unless it's short.

And I mean short. The very popular Leap Frog Talking Letters video...none of mine have sat all of the way (the kids are 5, 3, and almost 2). An episode of that Salsa Spanish show? That's still too long. 

Generally if it isn't some very short youtube video about big machines wrecking things they just don't watch. So there is no way I'm paying to take them to the movies. I can't imagine kids who are able to do so.

As for the OP, clearly this tragedy won't affect how often we go to the movies. (It's hard to go less than we already do.)

• Like 1

We rarely go to movies due to the cost.  I wouldn't stay away from going to a movie I wanted to see out of fear of a gunman.  But I have seen a few facebook friends that are saying they aren't going to go to movies anymore because of the shooting.

Like others, cost is my biggest problem. We've been going to a cheap theatre that shows movies about 3 months after release. We still get the big screen effect, but for $4 adult $3 under 14 tickets. That theatre is only crowded for matinees on rainy Saturdays (when all the kids soccer games are cancelled). We recently learned that the nearby stadium seating theatre has $6 dollar Tuesdays. So, we did see the Minion Movie. Probably won't see much else. In the fall our lives will be too busy to even think about going to a theatre. 

• Like 1

Very few movies meet our criteria for viewing, so we rarely attend them in theatres.  Independent/art movies show at a couple of theatres here, one of which I have visited several times.  I feel safe there.  As safe as one can feel living in a large metropolitan area and not wanting to live under a manhole cover from excessive fear. 

The big kids and I did in fact go see Paper Towns this morning (well done movie).  We rarely go to the movies because of cost, but this is one we've been looking forward to for months.  I was more concerned for my life driving home than sitting in the theater.  And I wasn't very concerned (in spite of a bunch of cops doing... something... and a major back-up on the freeway I was next to but not actually driving on) driving.  Everything and everywhere has risks.

Chances are QUITE good that you will live to your late 70's or beyond and die of something mundane like cardiovascular disease, cancer, or pneumonia. Is that guaranteed to happen? Of course not. But that's FAR more likely to happen to you than getting shot either as part of a high-profile mass shooting or a run-of-the-mill robbery gone bad.

• Like 3

That's how I feel too. As for 3D, I don't mind 3D movies, but only if I'm wearing contacts. I hate trying to wear 3D glasses over my glasses. For the most part I don't really see how it enhances the movie. Either a story is good or it isn't, and if it isn't no amount of special effects or 3D will make it better.

Dh and I used to go to the movies often when we were dating and early in our marriage (early-mid 90s). We took ds to a lot of animated movies when he was younger (early-mid 2000s). There really haven't been many movies in the past 10 years that I just had to see in the theater. Even at home, if I'm going to give up two hours it will be for a movie I really want to see and think will be worth my time. 

I don't know if I'm the one who's changed or if the quality of movies has actually gone down in recent years. Either way, my feelings about going to the movie theater have nothing to do with shootings.

Despite the tragic recent events, I am not going to start avoiding movie theaters. Or elementary schools or malls or recruiting stations or temples or churches or sidewalks.

If a movie comes out that is worth the cost of ticket and popcorn, you will find me there.

• Like 4

We are big movie fans here--it's a way to bond with my son, too.

In fact, he just left for Antman with his sister. He treats, now that he's working, and it is his way of reaching out. He's not affectionate and hardly says two words during the week, because his Aspie-ness makes it difficult to have enough social energy to do work AND after work socializing. But this is how he expresses his care and love for us.

No way I'm going to let some...person...(and just so you know, I typed out a string of descriptors that wasn't very kind)...take that away from us.

• Like 1

We rarely go to the movies because they are so expensive and I like my home better. However, the theater shootings don't keep me home in any way. My parents also did not avoid going to work, school, the post office, restaurants like McDonalds, the bowling alley, or any other mass shooting target in the 80s or 90s.

Not worried about it. I am worried sometimes when I drive 5 hours to my parents vacation home. Lots of accidents due to deer and people.

Our local MJR theatre costs 5$ if you go before noon. On Tuesdays in the summer they give free popcorns of any size to everyone. It's a pretty good deal.

We've been several times this summer, because it's a nice way to escape the heat for a couple hours. Yes, it's waaaaay too expensive, but we still go every so often. Sometimes we even buy snacks. :O

I agree with those who say we are far more likely to be killed in the car going to and from than by being shot. However, I'm not avoiding anywhere I want to go because I might get shot. If I get shot because of it, then too bad. :lol:

I was talking with my parents last night about the shooting in Lafayette and then they asked our plans for this weekend. My answer was the usual: go to the pool and maybe see a movie. Then I thought about that. Do I really want to go to the multiplex? I'd like to see Antman in 3D, but is it really a wise choice to expose ourselves to potential shooters?

Will theater attendance drop precipitously in the wake of this shooting? I know that this incident will drop off people's radars in a couple of weeks, but it could easily happen again. In fact, I don't think it's a question of if, it's a question of when. I'm usually not a fearful person, but a dark movie theater where you are, by definition, not paying attention to your surroundings suddenly seems like a bad idea.

Sometimes anxiety can sneak up on you and you find yourself grabbing something, anything, that might make sense of it. One summer I found myself pretty jumpy about avian bird flu. I couldn't make sense of it because we don't have birds, we don't live in an area affected by this. But I was working hard with my children, one of which was quite vulnerable, and had been for some time. I think my brain just grabbed onto something concrete, and I found myself unable to look away when I saw references to it. It went away, thank goodness. I wonder if maybe this might be the case for you. Logically, we know the risks are very small, but emotionally, we know we're pretty vulnerable to a number of things beyond our control. Perhaps there's something else going on in your life that makes you feel vulnerable?

But to answer your question, I don't think it's a matter of wisdom to avoid public places, including movie theaters. I think it's wiser to make decisions based on objective facts rather than emotional fears, especially when those emotional fears can't be corroborated by the objective facts (when weighing the two against each other, all things considered - obviously we refer to lots more than just objective facts and emotional fears when making decisions). Although, that doesn't make those fears any less real. I just think there's more effective ways of reducing them. 

I am like many here.  I stay aware of my surroundings wherever I am. This shooting will not change where I go and what I do.

Being a police officer, I also carry concealed wherever I go.  I hope that I never have to use a weapon to stop a mass shooting, robbery, other serious felony but I would not hesitate to protect myself, others, or my family.

Better to be safe and ready then be a victim is what I say.  :patriot:   

• Like 3

The shootings didn't make me reconsider my movie habit. I like movie theaters but not crowds so I go at odd times. Tuesday night at 10:40p is probably not prime shooter time, like 4:00a subways are not prime terrorist targets. But I do go sometimes when it's crowded, for opening night, cult classics that are more fun with a crowd, or live events we get streamed to our local theatre.

I'm not fearful about theaters or my teens going, but I'm getting rather old-ladyish about movies. I'd rather watch at home. The movie is cheaper. The snacks are cheaper. I can pause to pee. I can set the volume. The seating is more comfortable. I get to pick the people. I'm the person who owns 2-D glasses and wears them in 3-D movies :-/ Also, movies come to DVD SO FAST these days, so there's no urgency

I DO enjoy going to the drive in in the summer. :-)

• Like 4

I usually choose not to got to the movies *for myself* mainly b/c of the expense and apparently it's frowned upon to go in my ratty, comfy pjs with my own fav candy. Or, for much less $$, I can rent it on Amazon or at the Express, and sit on my couch wearing whatever I want and eating whatever I want. My decision is purely laziness and hating to feel like I'm throwing money away. Plus, I travel a lot now on planes loaded with all the new releases so I've usually seen most everything I was interested in. 

In terms of shooters, I think the likelihood of that happening is still very rare. I wouldn't let fear dictate my life, if movies were that important to me.