Menu

What $150K buys, house-wise, around the country

Chris in VA

And all *I* can think, is we didn't look at anything above $50k until we had 8 kids. Still feels like moved into a mansion.

I've been looking at houses with one of my grown kids. For fun for now, just to get ideas on what he likes and it keeps him motivated to keep saving, kwim?

He is looking at $50-70k houses and they are pretty decent. Certainly not slums.

• Like 1

We're south of Seattle, and there is nothing here you can get for $150,000.....not even a condo or mobile home.

try redfin.  there are lots of homes and condos (and of course, mobile homes) for under $150K.

Hmm... A very run-down country cottage. One bedroom flat in Edinburgh.

I don't think you could get anything. There are occasionally small units in the worst part of town at $169 ish. They are usually ex motel units where both doors open onto driveways. If I allow for the exchange rate you could get a little more but it would just mean on the edge of the bad area with a tiny garden.

• Like 1

That would buy a run-down house in a dead town in Woop-woop, somewhere with zero job opportunities within a 100 mile radius. Bargain!

And a lovely town it is too. Come visit some time. I'm afraid I can't offer accommodation unless you're ok with a tent in the backyard. Or maybe you can sleep on the kitchen floor if you don't mind sharing a room with me.  :laugh:

• Like 2

In central Oklahoma, you can buy a newly built 3 bd cookie-cutter home, maybe with an office, in a good school district for 150k or maybe even a little less. You could buy an older 3 bd, with a converted garage in a safe, but rundown, neighborhood for $75k. In the historic district...well, it all depends on the condition of the home.

• Like 1

Guest finnymo

In my county (just south of the SF bay area)? One 2 bedroom tear-down listed as unsafe to enter, and exactly one mobile home. This explains why we currently rent!

I looked up some listings in my town.  The cheapest was $350,000 for a somewhat run-down looking, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 1229 square feet on a really really small lot, but on a pond. 

Most expensive is $2,395,000 for a 6 bedroom, 6 and 2 1/2 bathrooms, 6,341 square foot on 3 1/2 acres.

$150,000 would get you a 2000+ sq ft on 1/2-1+ acres, 3-4 beds 2-3 baths, all brick, completely remodeled with new appliances and maybe corian counter tops, and 2-3 car garage.  You would be with in 1 hour or less of a semi-major metro area(near 1 million people counting suburbs). What it also gets you is a Walmart and nothing else within 30 minute drive, a dinky little library, and nothing to do.  We're so bored. 

• Like 2

The article is misleading, implying that there are areas all over the country where a beautiful house can be had for $150,000.

Essentially, for $150,000 you can have a nice house, in an area with no jobs, or a house within commuting distance of a reasonable job market that needs another $150,000 to bring it up to code. It's quite predictable what a lack of employment will do to an areas housing market.

You cannot get nice houses, in nice areas, with good jobs and schools, for $150,000. Supply and demand raises the price.

I agree with you. Except there are some cities where this is still possible.

We used to live in K.C. The second house we owned there comes up at around $160,000 on zillow (3 bedrooms + office, 2.5 baths). It was a very nice neighborhood and very good schools. There is also a good variety of jobs in K.C.

We live in a nice area of S.CA now. $150,000 will buy you nothing here.

try redfin. there are lots of homes and condos (and of course, mobile homes) for under $150K.

I see mostly foreclosure auction listings in that price range for any single family home or townhouse. My brother and his husband bought the crappiest still livable and mortgageable family sized fixer in S. King County close to when the market was at its lowest. It was still $200+k

And all *I* can think, is we didn't look at anything above $50k until we had 8 kids. Still feels like moved into a mansion.

I've been looking at houses with one of my grown kids. For fun for now, just to get ideas on what he likes and it keeps him motivated to keep saving, kwim?

He is looking at $50-70k houses and they are pretty decent. Certainly not slums.

Where do you live?! Here, you couldn't buy a meth lab for that price.

• Like 2

I see mostly foreclosure auction listings in that price range for any single family home or townhouse. My brother and his husband bought the crappiest still livable and mortgageable family sized fixer in S. King County close to when the market was at its lowest. It was still $200+k

well, not in king co.  I think she was looking further south - and with trulia.  nothing at all shows up on trulia.

we're all wondering how long it will take niece and her dh to realize their dreams of 5 acres on the eastside with reasonable commute to seattle (they don't want to go south - they don't even want to go that far east) and build a nice house for $400K isn't even a pipe dream.  someone did get them to come down to 3acres . . . . . 

Here is a similar article but for 1 million dollar houses around the world.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/01/what_a_1_million_house_looks_in_toronto_vs_other_cities/

last year on my street - a developer tore down one house, and built five houses.  all over $1m. (two sold after they were finished - the others during construction.)  average modern generic tract mcmansion. not even elite high end appliances.   there is one more piece of dirt with one house - that can be subdivided into six lots.  the original owner sill lives there.  he has to be in his 90's.  his son says he wants the property - but I expect when his father dies, it will be sold to a developer.

my house has something they'll never have . . .  a view.

well, not in king co. I think she was looking further south - and with trulia. nothing at all shows up on trulia.

we're all wondering how long it will take niece and her dh to realize their dreams of 5 acres on the eastside with reasonable commute to seattle (they don't want to go south - they don't even want to go that far east) and build a nice house for $400K isn't even a pipe dream. someone did get them to come down to 3acres . . . . .

Wowza, that is some dream slash fantasy. They can't even get the land for that price.

well, not in king co.  I think she was looking further south - and with trulia.  nothing at all shows up on trulia.

we're all wondering how long it will take niece and her dh to realize their dreams of 5 acres on the eastside with reasonable commute to seattle (they don't want to go south - they don't even want to go that far east) and build a nice house for $400K isn't even a pipe dream.  someone did get them to come down to 3acres . . . . . 

The ones I saw listed were in Algona.  But I didn't look to see if they were foreclosures.  

Not true! A single family home, in Seattle, for under $150,000! Enjoy all 590 square feet!

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/5541-S-Leo-St-98178/home/178223/nwmls-762431

Don't you look down on 569 sf (wiggling a finger at you). Square footage in triple digits is totally acceptable here. :)

Lucy, I don't know about the floating shed, but I know people who live on boats. Very normal.

In my actual town, there are several mobile homes, a bunch of condos in crummy complexes between $100K and $150K, and two houses. Both are so far over that they're practically in the rundown city next door, both are being sold "as is," and neither have photos of the inside. One bargain has been on Realtor.com for almost 6 months, and the other, a "legal two family," has been listed for almost two years. Hmmm...

But this is by far the most famous house in east Albuquerque: https://roadtrippers.com/us/albuquerque-nm/points-of-interest/walter-whites-house

I often wonder if the owners are ever sorry they let the producers use their house for the show. I can only imagine the hassle they have to put up with now--free pizza notwithstanding!

As I have established, there's always the option to live in a floating shed. It may be a shed but it floats, so there's that.

Ooohh, claustrophobia AND motion sickness, all for one low price!

The first house we ever bought was for $150K and it was in Los Angeles County in the year 2000.  It was 1400 sq. ft. and backed up to the mountains.  We many days say we should have kept that house.

Eeep. Have you looked up what it's worth now? We sold our little condo outside Manhattan years ago when we (OK, I) couldn't take the noise anymore and were worried that the hospital that was under construction would increase traffic and bring lots of ambulance noise. Our upstairs neighbors hung on for an extra year and sold for an extra $100K. I just looked it up now and it sold in 2013 for $383K. Sigh. 

Yikes. Thank goodness for the sheds and that trailer thing holding the cottage up!

It's described in the particulars as a development opportunity.  The expectation would be that the purchaser would raze it and build a new house.  Building on an existing footprint almost guarantees you planning permission to build.  So that's £100K for the plot, then whatever for the demolition and about £150K to build a modest house.

Eeep. Have you looked up what it's worth now? We sold our little condo outside Manhattan years ago when we (OK, I) couldn't take the noise anymore and were worried that the hospital that was under construction would increase traffic and bring lots of ambulance noise. Our upstairs neighbors hung on for an extra year and sold for an extra $100K. I just looked it up now and it sold in 2013 for $383K. Sigh. 

Insanity!!  One of my kids lives in a small building (two units) , also outside of Manhattan, which sold in 2014 

for 1.4 million. (With mold issues, even. )

There are a ton of $150k options here (mostly 3bd/2ba, .5-1 acre types) but it IS a land of super-commuters. There are some jobs here, but only a few main industries.

Driving is a lifestyle, not just for employment. I do about 200 miles/wk for homeschool related activities.  It will go way up when base/softball season starts next month (for 3 kids!)

But it's a gorgeous area!!!

If you spent some time looking $150,000 here would get you in a well maintained, move in ready (but maybe could benefit from a bit of updating) older home, or probably a smallish (1300-1500 sq. ft.) new cookie cutter on a tiny lot.  You'd have lots of nice townhomes to choose from.  Job market is fairly good, and most commutes are 30 minutes or less.  Things are spread out, but the metropolitan area population is about 1.5 million.  So most people can find something to do for entertainment.

I went to zillow for a nearby town (redfin wasn't working) and put in 75K - 150K, 2+ bedrooms, single family homes, must be for sale, and got 48 listings, several of which would be candidates I'd look at if in the market.  Changing it to 3+ bedrooms reduces that number to 40.

Current unemployment rate is 5.1%.  There are oodles of shopping and dining options - not as many as a large city - but far more than most rural areas.

Many people do commute to places farther away for work, but that's because they can find housing here for a reasonable price.  The majority work locally (based upon the students at our school - well - their parents).

I like living in a lower COL area that still has various amenities.

• Like 2

Nearly nothing here. That's the price for a buildable lot. Or a foreclosure that is a hot mess. Or an extreme do-over fixer. If you aren't handy, you gonna get nothin.

The house next door to me sold for 147.900 in January (according to Trulia - I didn't ask the new neighbors). It's a 4 BR, 3 BA and just over 2,000 sq. ft..The houses in this area were all built in the late 60's. It's very similar to ours and though we have one less bedroom we have a bit more square footage. This area got a double whammy when the housing bubble burst AND the shuttle program ended around the same time. 

ETA: Though the homes are older, this is a very nice area with low crime, well maintained homes (no HOA), and pretty good schools.

• Like 3

The house shown for GA for 150,000 would be in a town sooo far away from any major city. I always wonder how people afford to live in those towns 3 or 4 hours away from corporate jobs, etc.

OR it would be in a bad, run down area. That size house would be about 250,000 in my GA historic town, 30 minutes south of Atlanta.

150,000 gets you a 3bed 2 bath 1500 sq ft house with 2 car garage, 1 acre of land and about 30 minutes from your closest grocery store or shopping.

Don't you look down on 569 sf (wiggling a finger at you). Square footage in triple digits is totally acceptable here. :)

I actually love tiny houses. Before I was married I had a 970 square foot condo I adored. (Much more practical layout than our current house.) But a $150,000 house in Seattle isn't exactly the Italianate mansion from the slide show!

• Like 1

Lucy, I don't know about the floating shed, but I know people who live on boats. Very normal.

I know a lot of people who live on boats and houseboats, this being Seattle (though only a few with kids). That houseboat I call the floating shed though is almost the exact design of a ready to build shed I have seen in people's yards here and as such, paired with the price tag, cracks me up. It is modified to have an actual door. To get a non-floating SF home in that area, you are looking at 8-10 times that price for a tiny near tear down. So it is a veritable bargain.

• Like 3

We bought our home for $16,000 twenty years ago.  We put a lot of work into it, and today, it would probably sell for $85,000.  It is a lovely 2-story Victorian home.  I don't remember square footage, but it would probably be considered an average medium-size home for that era.  It worked fine for our family of 7.  It has three screened-in porches (two downstairs and one upstairs), one living room that merges into a formal dining room, a small kitchen (big enough to cook, but not big enough for a table, but mostly because there are three doors into it so no nice corner to tuck a table into), a bath and a half, and a small, fenced-in yard.  Also, a den upstairs, which we used as a bedroom when all the kids were home.  Now it's our TV room.  It has an old, unfinished basement (for storage and art projects only  :), and a walk-in attic (for storage only), with a separate 2-car garage. 

We live in a small town (5,000) in the Midwest.

• Like 1