Menu

FRIENDS OF JFSinIL : status update

JFSinIL

Good evening members of the Well-Trained Mind community,

Friends of JFSinIL, she is going to be alright, but will be out of touch for a while due to hospital.

I am the elder son of JFSinIL. My Mother requested that I make some sort of status update. She didn't want her online friends to be worried about her sudden absence. I will also copy this to the latest forums on which I see she has gotten notifications.

I apologize if this is a rather vague update, but I am unfamiliar with this site and do not know how well Mom is personally known (caution of the Internet, after all).

Mom, Dad, and my twin brother were en route to attend my college graduation ceremony when an SUV ran a stop sign. Very fortunately there were no fatalities of this accident. My family was sent to a nearby hospital before my mother was airlifted to a better-equipped trauma center. Mom is still in ICU, but recovering well. After ICU, she will likely need to stay in hospital for a while for rehab. My Dad is out of ICU and should be able to come home on the 'morrow. My twin was able to be discharged on the day of the accident and is doing well.

The SUV was occupied by two females under the age of 21. Both were hospitalized and have been arrested (at least) for illegal possession of alcohol.

Despite the terrible accident, everyone will pull through well. Mom will just take a little more time than the others.

Sincerely,

JFS (yes, we have the same initials), son of JFSinIL

[28th May 2014]

Thank you all for the prayers and wishes. I will update you all asap and have a friend visiting Mom this afternoon inform her of your support. I, of course, will let her know if I see her before said friend :)

Thank you all,

-- JFS

[30th May 2014]

Dad has been discharged from the hospital and was able to visit Mom before being driven home. Mother dearest is continuing to recuperate well; I think this may have something to do with the fact that you can't keep a mom down :)

I can definitely tell where my worrywart tendencies come from, given that Mother dearest continues to keep us busy despite being an hour way!

Sincerely,

-- JFS

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Your mom is something, thinking of letting us know... Thanks for acting on her request.

So sorry your celebration did not happen as you'd all hoped and planned. Please let your family know that you will all be in our prayers. Hoping for swift recoveries all around!

What a horrible thing to happen. So glad everyone was treated quickly and getting the care they need. Hugs to you, JFS, Son of JFSinIL, as you missed the celebration of all your hard work. Three cheers from the members of the hive! Hip Hip Horray! :party: :hurray:

Thank you so much for the update and I'm glad to hear all is projected to turn out ok.  You're a great son!  Congratulations on your graduation - I know she is super proud of you!  (I'm one of those who has "known" your mom (via this forum) since you were back in your high school years as you and my oldest entered your college years together...)

Take care of your family and offer our hugs (very gently to start with!).  :grouphug:   Remember to celebrate your graduation with everyone once they are well.  I'll recommend some time at a beach. :coolgleamA:

Thank you so much for letting us know what happened. We sure do appreciate it, and despite the seriousness of what happened, I do hope that you find time to celebrate your accomplishment! Congratulations to you and tell your mum that we are all thinking of her and wishingthe best for your family and hoping for speedy recoveries.

Dear Son of JFS,

My son is another of the same group who began college in 2010. I feel a certain kinship with the moms who were navigating those waters, including your mother.

While I am glad that things are going well, I fear that there may be lots of rehab ahead. Please send your mom warm wishes from all of us.

Congratulations on your own achievement.  I am sorry that your celebratory day was marred by such a sorrowful event.

Thank you for keeping us posted.

Jane

Thanks for the update- prayers for your family are being said. We moved dd out of her house for the summer as families were gathering for commencement- I was thinking of your family, knowing that you were across campus preparing to graduate.  (Of course in my mind your family was there, all smiles!)  So sorry to hear about the accident.