Menu

Do you think your kids will homeschool, or have good memories of homeschooling? (Also, who has the Worst Mom Award this week? Pass it over.)

ILiveInFlipFlops

I asked DD11 a little while ago about whether she might homeschool her kids, and she made a face and looked away, and I knew exactly what was coming. She finally said no, she wouldn't, because it's too hard having your kids around all day every day  :crying:. I'm an extreme introvert, so yes, it is very hard for me to have people with me all day, every day, but dang, I thought I was faking it a little better than that! 

Beyond that, though, I was surprised because she really loves HSing and will do pretty much anything to avoid ever having to go to PS. I thought she'd have a better opinion of something she loves so much. I asked her if she'd look back on homeschooling fondly, and she did say yes, but now it has me thinking. 

Do you think your kids will look back on homeschooling with satisfaction? Do you think they'll ever regret that you homeschooled, or resent it somehow? I mean, I know there's no way to know for sure, but in general, I wonder whether our kids will end up appreciating the choices we made or thinking we were crazy and going completely in the opposite direction. 

What do you think?

I have no idea. And in a way, it doesn't matter, really. We feel it is the best for them and that's why we made that decision. They will make the decision that is best for their children and hopefully it won't be a backlash because what did or did not happen in their own childhood.

Oldest daughter fought homeschooling tooth and nail and we finally relented and let her go to school in high school. She now homeschools and wouldn't dream of sending her kids to school.  

Youngest daughter LOVED homeschooling and even though she's nowhere near ready to get married or have kids, she has NO desire to homeschool any potential kids. 

Son ....yes

DD#1....yes

DD#2.....no, wants a career (she says her husband can school them at home)

DD#3....yes

They are old enough (two in college) to see pros and cons from homeschooling, but think the pros outweigh the cons (in spite of all of the mistakes I've made!)  Thank you God for covering my mistakes with Your Grace!

Uh. I'm the mum and don't expect to get kudos for anything. :rolleyes:

I don't think I said I needed kudos. I said I wondered if people thought their kids would be satisfied or wish their education had been different. My satisfaction with the choices I'm making for my kids is my own, but I can also look back on MY education and appreciate some things and wish some things had been different. I don't ever expect them to fall at my feet and thank me. That's not why I homeschool. I'm wondering if others think their kids will think it was a worthwhile endeavor--worthwhile enough to do it for their own kids, or worthwhile for themselves at least...or not at all.

My dd just started high school at a private school (homeschooled K-8th) and it makes me so sad to hear how she would *never* want to be homeschooled for high school. She doesn't speak of homeschooling with any warmth or gratitude -- in fact, she talks disparagingly about "homeschoolers" in terms of social awkwardness. It upsets me a little because we did a lot of really fun things and I busted my tail to give her a good education. I think her attitude has more to do with being a teenager whose social life is VERY important right now. She did concede that homeschooling prepared her well academically for high school. I hope that someday she'll say she enjoyed it, too. I have no idea if she'll homeschool... I could actually see it, given her personality and gifts. That would be ironic!

My daughter told me pretty much what yours did - that it was too much work.  And I told her that it was a lot of work but some things are worth it.  I told her that each child and situation is different and that she might find herself in a very different situation with her kids (if she has any) and that there is no perfect choice.  But - that I do hope that when it is time that she will make decisions with her children's best interest in mind.  Dd would do well socially in school, I think.  And I think she would enjoy school - at least elementary school.  But I also think it would be disaster for  her academically.  And I very well think that in middle school she could be easily led into being a mean girl.  So for her in our situation I think that homeschool is best even if she doesn't have the capacity or the perspective to see it.  

My brothers and sisters and I were all home schooled and I'm fairly certain that all of us will end up homeschooling our kids. Five of us are married and 4 of us have kids. I haven't heard any of them mention sending their kids to school and the two of us with school-age kids already home school. I imagine the 3 youngest will too but they're a long ways from marriage or children still.

My husband and his brother were home schooled too and my BIL and SOL plan to home school their girls as well.

My kids are still young but since all their cousins are/probably will be home schooled, and most of their friends are, I don't really picture them doing anything different. Of course, if they do, I'm sure they'll be doing it because they think it's best for their kids. My parents didn't home school the way I do and there were a lot of things I didn't like as a kid, but not enough to make me choose anything different for my own family. :-)

I don't think I said I needed kudos. I said I wondered if people thought their kids would be satisfied or wish their education had been different. My satisfaction with the choices I'm making for my kids is my own, but I can also look back on MY education and appreciate some things and wish some things had been different. I don't ever expect them to fall at my feet and thank me. That's not why I homeschool. I'm wondering if others think their kids will think it was a worthwhile endeavor--worthwhile enough to do it for their own kids, or worthwhile for themselves at least...or not at all.

I wasn't clear. I was rolling my eyes at myself, not at you. I am quite sure everything and anything I do will be taken for granted without a mention. I'm sure you know the dynamic. Dad makes pancakes and it is party time. Mum makes pancakes and it is breakfast. 

Of course I'd love it if they have such great memories of being homeschooled that that's what they want for their kids, but... who knows.  My bigger hope is that whatever they do, they do it thoughtfully and choose what's best for their kids.

Actually my biggest hope that by the time my as-yet hypothetical grandchildren are school age, my kids even more options for educating their children than I have.  But I am not sure about that either!

Neither of mine has children yet.  One of mine (homeschooled all through high school) is a middle school teacher in the public school (a little irony there, yes?).  Although she recognizes the good things about her school, she says it just can't compete with a motivated homeschool mom.   ;)

Anne

Well, I just asked DS (9) about homeschooling his own kids (he has been planning on marriage and a family since the age of 4; also, he was in brick and mortar from 3k - half of 2nd for background).  His response was "Definitely homeschooling!...and if my wife disagrees, then we may have to have a discussion."  Would you be willing to home school them yourself if she doesn't wish to?  "Of course!"  But this is also the child who told me on Sunday that he wants me to issue more tests, he wants to do more in depth studies, he wants even more projects, etc.  And he definitely wants to continue homeschooling for himself.

DD (13) just told me that would entirely depend on 1.  if she ends up having children (she THINKS she will but is not committed), 2. whether whatever career she chooses would allow her to do homeschooling as well, or her husband is able to if she is not;  3. if her kids are interested (she thinks she would start them in a brick and mortar then see..) 4. If it looks like the best option due to outside factors.  5.  If her future self would be willing and financially able to put aside her career to homeschool the kids.  In other words, if circumstances warranted it, she would not rule out the possibility of homeschooling at all, but it is not a hill she would die on right now.  :)  For herself, though, she wants to continue homeschooling through high school and is very firm on that.

Since both were in brick and mortar first, but both have dyslexia, their memories of school are different from mine.  They had a hard time in school.  Still made good grades but it was hard.  They recognize that homeschooling was a healthier choice for us, but I think at least DD realizes that she had some really good moments in a brick and mortar, too.  I have no issues with her choosing not to homeschool if she decides to have kids because I know she has experienced both, now, and can make a more informed decision.  I did not have that.  I had not really heard much about homeschooling,  I knew no one who homeschooled personally.  We chose it as a last resort with virtually no prep.  Not the best way to begin.  I wish I had known more about this option sooner, because I think we would have avoided a great deal of pain and anguish and some pretty serious emotional scars, especially from DS's final year in brick and mortar.  Oddly, I wish we had known about homeschooling so that we could have followed the homeschooling path sooner so that his happy memories of brick and mortar would not be so tainted by his last year in brick and mortar.   Does that make any sense?  :)

In the long run, I just want my kids to choose the path that they believe is right for their family, and hopefully they will be happy with that path long term.  Either path is fine with me.

I've been wondering some of these same things. Dd (9 going on 19) says she loves homeschooling and ardently claims she wants to homeschool through high school. At this point, I wouldn't ask her if she would homeschool future children because she says she does not want children (probably 'cause I'm such a great mom ha-ha). I understand about the introvert thing. I enjoy homeschooling, can hardly imagine not doing it (usually!) but it is really hard for me to be around people all day long. As for the worst mom award, I have it here somewhere... :)

My daughter, who is now in college, says that she wouldn't change anything for her homeschooling years, but has told me that she doesn't know if she will homeschool her children. I told her that she will be their mother and I believe that one day she will make a great mother and I have no doubt that she would make the right decision for her family. I also told her that what you think at 18, single, childless, etc. isn't what you may want when you are actually making those kinds of decisions. I love our talks and she feels comfortable enough to talk to me about things like this. My bad mama moments happened all too often, but here recently my 16 year old son has been the recipeint of hormonal mama attitude. I just explain, and then ask for forgiveness.

I just asked my 9 and almost 12yos this question. DD says yes, she'll probably homeschool her kids. DS1 (9yo) says he will too, but then he says, "But I don't know what I'll do for work." I assured him that he has plenty of time to decide on a career path. (If you know my son, this is so classic for him -- he is always Mr. Practical. I once had a discussion with him and DS2, in which I asked them to promise me they'd never smoke cigarettes. DS2, about 4 at the time, readily promised. DS1, about 7, said, "Well. I don't want to promise. I mean, I don't think I will, but you never know.")

My husband and I both agree that our own parents were not good homeschoolers. We do not want to emulate what they did in any way, so our experiences were not 'good' ones as such and we are going through some things dealing with certain failings they had.

Having said that, when we were dating, the choice to homeschool vs public school was a dealbreaker for us both. Neither one of us was willing to marry someone who was against homeschooling. I was in and out of PS and I absolutely did not want to send my children to go through what I did with bullying from students and teachers alike, and poor academic potential even though I was 'gifted', plus I firmly believe in the family culture and lifestyle homeschooling brings and the ability to follow interests far beyond what PS kids can. The lifestyle has become more and more key to me as I've become a mum, I love spending all day with the kids, learning beside them, watching them grow and guiding them myself. It's a lot harder if the kids are gone for the longer and longer hours school and extracurriculars and homework are taking them.

My husband was convicted on a religious level regarding homeschooling originally, having never attended PS himself and having known very few PSers his arguments were all theological. But after 5 years of not being sheltered by his parents, I think his religious convictions are now secondary to his academic concerns, and wanting to allow and encourage the children to do more with their childhoods than school/homework/eat/sleep, which is what seems to be happening more and more to the children we know. 

My siblings all claim to not want kids. If they do have them, one I don't know much about, one will almost definitely choose public school, and one will be 50/50 at this point

DHs siblings all indicate they do not want to homeschool (but they are also all younger than us except one, and the older one is probably not going to have children). Their bad experiences play a big part in this. BUT, I strongly believe for at least a couple of them, that they will reconsider once they actually have children. Because of being sheltered they have a very idealized view of what PS is and can be. They are selective in finding friends, so their PS friends are all of the 'high achieving, self motivated' type, and they have very little concept of school or their peers beyond that. Their concept of homeschooling is also limited to low achieving, unsupervised and undirected 'study' which ended as soon as the kids were old enough to work. Their parents are quite open about the fact the children never received a high school education until the last couple who ended up in a distance education school. I think watching us homeschool (with much higher academic goals and real planning/teaching/interest happening) will influence them to some point. They were quite surprised by a few things I have said about homeschooling plans for our kids as it is.

Among our homeschooled friends, the general attitude is that most are against homeschooling as teens or young adults because they feel like they are missing out on social stuff, but as more and more are getting married and having kids and maturing we are finding that they appreciate homeschool a lot more and it is at least a real option (we don't know anyone well who has school age children yet)

All kids have good and bad memories, and that is the case wherever they school.  Mine will remember the day mom made everyone CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!!!! before starting a full day of school as well as the day we took off at lunch to go slosh through the slush to see a beautiful look-out in the snow.  It would be nice if I could take a magic eraser to the former and a magnifier to the latter, but the kids will retain what they will.

I have had serious, open discussions with all 3 of my big kids about school.  They all SERIOUSLY want to continue to HS.  We are in a spot now where many of my reasons for HSing are either not present anymore or not nearly as extreme.  (We've moved to a decent district.  They are all reading well.  They are fairly confident little things.  Etc...)  Alas, they see where the grass is really greener, and HS means much more freedom for the elementary school crowd.  I'm a bit mixed on it.  I am in a spot where I could easily go back to school and make a career for myself long-term, or I could just continue to make HSing my career.  (I'd love to find a way to merge the two.)  Then there is the baby...I shudder to think of the year that she is 6 and my big 3 are 13, 14, and 16yo.  (Ack!!!!)

I have no idea if mine will HS their own kids or not.  

This is what I see happening in many cases. Even if they say they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to now, at 11 or 14, that really doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t mean anything at all. I have one daughter that says she will and one that says she wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. Who knows?! My oldest son thinks his wife will..hmm..youngest son is too young to say anything about it!

If you would have told me that I would eventually have four kids (not to mention homeschooling them!) when I was younger, I would have laughed in your face. :laugh: 

., but as more and more are getting married and having kids and maturing we are finding that they appreciate homeschool a lot more and it is at least a real option (we don't know anyone well who has school age children yet)

I had no idea when I was a child that I would ever have my own kids and certainly no opinions as to how to educate these then unformed children. 

My older son really likes being homeschooled and has been very vocal about not wanting to go back to regular school so I think his memories will be positive.  I have no idea how he will choose to educate his children, or if he will have any. 

My younger son is 5 and can't spell school so I don't really think I have enough data to say one thing about how he will like being homeschooled.  If he doesn't like it though, he can go to school. 

I think my kids don't have the angst that I had due to terrible high school experiences, and which informed my choice to homeschool. So in a way, homeschooling them might make them feel more favourable about school for their own kids, as they don't have the same set of negative experiences I did.

My oldest went to school for three (miserable) years before being pulled out to homeschool and my youngest as never been to school. The eldest definitely appreciates homeschooling much more than the youngest who has created a whole fantasy dreamworld created about how great school must be. We all react to our experiences and imagine alternatives that we have no experience with. A child who regrets being homeschooled may have had a bad time of it they may be idealizing the road not taken. I am pretty confident that my understanding of the quality and atmosphere of the public schools where we lived is far superior to the understanding of my youngest who believes them to be a happy place full of fun and friends and easy schoolwork, so if she complains I just have her brother explain the reality he experienced. 

I haven't asked my kids but I'm curious now. For what it's worth, I was homeschooled and it was not a good experience. My mother was the type to hand me a pile of textbooks at the start of the year and wish me well. She also hated taking us places so it was very socially isolating. But I always felt there was a right way and a wrong way to go about this whole adventure. Or many right ways and many wrong ways. Either way, I sent my kids to private school at first, unconvinced that I would be able to do a decent job homeschooling them. But I finally did bring them home and we are in our fourth year. I hope it hasn't been too horrible for them. :-)

Both say they want their kids homeschooled. Dd wants 5 kids, and ds wants 3. I really, really hope they have that many! Our extended families are rather small, so lots of grandkids would be nice. 

I think it has more to do with their dad teaching in public school and hearing the reality of it than it has to do with wonderful memories of our homeschooling experience. We've had some good times together, but I think they like the flexibility of it, less hours away from home, and no "homework" more than spending time with me. 

DD has mentioned it, rather matter-of-fact-ly, that she will, or rather, she says "we will," which I do silently gloat over....just a bit....teeny bit. OTOH, I'm really glad she's growing up with backstage access to public school with a parent who loves the job / hates the system, because in a few decades, who knows? Maybe DD will be part of some wave that radically remakes the system. At the very least, she won't think she doesn't have choices, doesn't have some power, and that's huge.

My eldest hated homeschooling, although at the time she wanted to do it. We didn't begin homeschooling her because we wanted to, though, so there's that - there simply wasn't any other option at the time. When we knew of another option, we jumped at it (private school for dyslexics). I can say that I very much doubt she'd homeschool her own children. To be fair, she doesn't like ANY type of school as school; she enjoys the social outlet of her private school, and loves the school itself, but dislikes any school "work".

Now, with the younger two... they've never known anything else. My middle child loves being home; if ever he felt differently, off to Catholic school he'd go (same with Mighty Marco, when he gets older).

My daughter is enjoying high school too much to be a poster child for homeschooling. The homeschooling drama club just couldn't compete with the theatre department in her high school. She got withdrawal symptoms during the snow days. I'm not sure that 4 years is enough time to make her tired of school and appreciate the freedom she had in K-8th at home.

My son will easily get back on task if I threaten to send him to school. He's all about the homeschooling and thinks everyone should do it.

I I believe all of my children have very positive, happy memories from their homeschooling years, and they are old enough now to appreciate the advantages it gave them.   But you know, I think the biggest thing -- as far as how they will view their own children's education someday -- that they will have gotten from homeschooling is that there are many, many different ways to educate children, and that parents don't have to be locked into doing it one certain way.   Parents can have the freedom to think outside the box. 

Right now, I can't really see any of my children homeschooling their own children the same way I did.  My girls (and my son) are focused on careers and I think that's great!  If they choose to have a family someday, their family will come first, but they'll probably try and keep their careers too.  So, I don't see them homeschooling full-time, but for example -- I can see them taking their kids out of school for a couple years if they have an opportunity to work abroad, or I see them at least knowing that they COULD teach them at home if the situation ever called for that someday.

I forgot to come back and say thanks for the discussion, everyone. I guess all we can do is our best in the moment. The future will have to take care of itself!

I wasn't clear. I was rolling my eyes at myself, not at you. I am quite sure everything and anything I do will be taken for granted without a mention. I'm sure you know the dynamic. Dad makes pancakes and it is party time. Mum makes pancakes and it is breakfast. 

Thanks Rosie, I did misunderstand. I was still a bit tender from the conversation with DD, I think. You're right about the dynamic!

My oldest dd told me she liked homeschooling, even though she only homeschooled junior and senior years and that she wanted me to help her homeschool when she had kids. I know my son feels strongly about homeschooling v. a brick and mortar school, so I would assume he would consider homeschooling if he had kids. My youngest dd, OTOH, wasn't impressed with homeschooling. She thinks there are benefits to being in a brick and mortar school. I also know she has plans to be a professional of some type and looks forward to working when she graduates college. She once told me she didn't want to be a homemaker at all.

Of course, things will change as they mature. Who knows what they'll choose once they're in the position where they need to decide.

My children both say say homeschool only through 5th for academic edge and habit training. Then quality private schools. We tell them to plan their education and career goals to pay for pricey tuition for multiple kids!! My son also add that he would never talk his wife into homeschooling unless she really wanted to do it herself, bc it is too hard on moms. Lol.

My oldest and youngest have both made comments suggesting they would homeschool.  The oldest said that I could homeschool his children; I guess he is thinking that he and his wife will both have to work.  My daughter, the youngest and a very busy girl, recently said, "I don't know how I'm going to be able to homeschool and work two jobs."  Hmmm...

Dd16 wants to homeschool her kids. That kind of surprises me, because I don't think she really got the ideal homeschool package. We had a cross country move in the middle of it, and I never really was able to find her a community of friends. I don't even think I was that great of a teacher with her! But she was loved, and we did our best, and somehow I think that has translated into happy memories for her.

I'm not even going to ask the other kids. They're too young to give me any kind of meaningful answer.

It makes me laugh how many of our kids think WE will homeschool THEIR kids :D My youngest expects the same thing!

Because, of course, homeschooling is just so darn much fun for you.  

It would make me a little sad if DD announced pre-kids that she wanted to send her kids to an institution.  I would have a hard time not believing that we'd failed in some way.  

Honestly, I haven't thought at all whether or not my kids would chose to homeschool any future children they might have. I think that's a decision to be made with a spouse and grandparents that interject unsolicited advice into a young couple's marriage usually aren't very popular. :D Whatever works for them. I really don't think homeschooling is right for everyone either. A parent has to WANT to be homeschooling and be pretty engaged to make it work well. You have to either be able to live on one income or have some job flexibility to have a parent at home to homeschool. There are many factors at play.

My kids LOVE homeschooling though and definitely cringe when we talk theoretically about going back to school. I have a 7th grader and I'm open to the idea of him attending high school, but so far, he has no interest.

And I'm pretty sure I'm the worst mom! I've had one cold on top of a different cold the past couple weeks and we're just calling this period of time independent study. ;) My 7th grader is pretty independent, mercifully and my 4th grader does get core work done..

My boys both begged to be homeschooled and were horrified at the thought of going back to school.  But I imagine it would have to be a family decision, since i cant see either of them actually doing the work of homeschooling.  I imagine they would support it if their wife wanted to.  Not that i think its not ok for dads to homeschool, but my teen is just way too scattered, I think (tho i thought that about me, too lol) and my younger IS pretty uptight about gender roles.  

My daughter was not homeschooled and seems to hate everything about me, but she has a good enough head on her shoulders that I think, if she found herself with kids who were failing due to bad schools, she would be open to the idea. 

My two oldest have thanked me repeatedly for homeschooling, have very fond memories of all we did, and have both said that they want to homeschool their own children (dd is married, no kids yet, and ds is still single).  My youngest loves homeschooling, and I expect will feel the same way.  But if not, that's fine, too.

Here is the actual text I received from my daughter just the other day. She is a sophomore in college:

"Every time I explain my homeschooling experience to my friends I always realize how awesome and unique my childhood was because of it. All the amazing things we did, like going plays, the museum of fine art, the museum of science, etc. and how you would take all that time to print out stuff and use cliff notes so that we could actually understand Shakespeare -- that was SO AWESOME. I always knew we were lucky but it really hits me now that I am older."

This is not the first time she has expressed this. The only thing they do complain about is that they do not get a lot of references to tv shows from the 90's because we didn't watch a lot of junk t.v. I guess I can live with that haha.

Both of my two adult children say they won't homeschool.  Only the oldest has a baby; she says she is not patient enough, and she didn't like the lack of opportunities (we had very few hs we knew and lived far from most stuff)  The adult ds is bipolar and blames me for all of his troubles and says homeschooling messed him up.  He doesn't realize school could have been much worse for him. 

My junior in high school homeschooled through 8th grade.  He says he likes school a lot because his teacher knows the hard subjects.  :crying: I doubt he will homeschool but he along with the other 3 that are in school often fondly remember the amount of free time they had.  And my youngest it's too hard to tell at this point.