Menu

Kalanamak

Nicole M

I just got home from work for my lunch break to find a very sweet letter from Kay's brother in Kansas. Kay, Kalanamak, died peacefully at the hospice house on Tuesday last, May 21st.

According to Kay's brother, sweet Karl is doing well in school, has good friends and a terrific teacher, and even went to school the morning after he learned his mom had died because, in his words, if he were to stay home, he would just lie around, be bored, and think about the old days." He was sad that there was no school Friday or Monday, for the holiday.

My goodness, he is his mother's son!

Kay's brother sent a print copy of the obituary, and I will post a link to that when it is posted on the funeral home's website. But it ends with, "In lieu of condolence cards, Dr. Aaro's family suggests that friends write a note to her son and husband with a fond memory of or funny story about Dr. Aaro."

If you would like to send those to me, please PM me and I will send you my mailing address.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update. The line "an amazing force of nature" stood out to me as well. I'll continue to miss her voice here. Our sons are the same age and we used a lot of the same materials. Wish they were able to continue the journey....but it sure has always sounded like she did a great job of giving her son a really solid foundation and a ton of love and support.

Thank you for the update. It was interesting to "see" her in person via the obit (nicely written), but I sure wish getting to "know" her were happening under better circumstances. So many people grow into old age, but don't really "live." Kay seems to have truly "lived" her years. Her son appears to have inherited that inner drive. May he always have fond memories of his mom and their time together.

Ever since I found out she was going into hospice, I have been reflecting on what a blessing her homeschooling was for her son. How grateful they must be for the time they spent together...all they had. I am profoundly grateful for the privilege of sharing so much of my kids' childhood. Kalanamak's passing is a good, though painful, reminder to appreciate what I have, because nothing is ever certain. I only wish Kay had more time with her sweet boy.

But it ends with, "In lieu of condolence cards, Dr. Aaro's family suggests that friends write a note to her son and husband with a fond memory of or funny story about Dr. Aaro."

If you would like to send those to me, please PM me and I will send you my mailing address.

This is so very appropriate. Kay, alone, and with her husband, was a remarkable storyteller in the finest sense of the word, as well as a lovely, funny, warm, compassionate, seriously intelligent, and wise woman.

Nicole, thank you for sharing the news and for passing on our stories.

She had such a unique way of looking at everything. She could tell you how wrong you were in such a witty way, you'd agree with her.

I just really wish her son and husband the very best. I know the extra special bonds that Moms have with sons. I'm very sorry he will have to finish growing up without her.

She is already very missed.