Menu

What do you do to calm or soothe yourself when you are unbelievably stressed?

Sherri in MI

Oh, man. I wish cleaning was what I did when I was stressed!! I'd love a house that clean!

:D (This is me, green with envy for those that clean when stressed!)

Me, too! Cleaning is just never on my radar....

Stress relievers for me....a brisk walk, ice cream, yoga (especially in a class situation), reading something engrossing but easy--romance, mysteries, sic-fi....

An hour on the porch swing with sunshine, a good book, and a snack generally makes my stress levels less.

Prayer, especially written ones.

Sleep...

I typically pace and eat a piece or two of dark chocolate while fuming. Once I'm calmed down a bit and don't feel like I'll strangle anyone, a walk helps. If I'm still stressed, I put away stuff and throw away stuff then resume pacing, fuming and eating chocolate. It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, I do explain to my kids that I'm having a tantrum. It helps them to understand their own feelings too. A walk, a healthy snack, a nap and a shower will help to restore my balance after my tantrum.

I'm not very good at this; calming myself when I'm stressed. And I've had a lot of stress lately.

Sometimes cleaning helps. And praying. But mostly I just let the stress eat at me. It gets my stomach upset.

Oh, spending time with my boys, just cuddling or playing, helps sometimes.

When I am stressed, I listen to music, watch the birds on my windowsill, eat dark chocolate, watch a very engrossing murder mystery. read something that is engrossing- usually a mystery. In the last few minutes, and I really mean literally, I have had a Downy woodpecker, Red Bellied woodpecker, White Breasted NUthatch, mourning doves, house finches, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted titmice and Blue Jays visit my window closest to this computer I am writing on.I love feeding the birds, its like I have the enjoyment of their presence but they get their freedom.

I read fluff. The fluffiest cotton candy I can find. Debbie Macomber or Nora Roberts usually does the trick. I also will go for a drive, wander around Barnes and Noble, or check out Pinterest. I find that the activities I choose are ones that allow me to completely withdraw into myself while still being present in some sort of way.

I am easily over stimulated and highly anxious most of the time. I have learned to check myself before I get to full stress mode as have the kids and dh. I try to keep it all in check with a once a week "me" night. Since I am such a party gal I usually spend the time at BN or this great used book store. Taking this night to myself has really helped me cope in the long run.

Cooking - particularly a dish that requires a lot of chopping for prep. That is kind of my happy place. Also I snack but that doesn't help. I wish I ran. That would be better than eating when stressed and I'd be skinny. :)

If I'm stressed because I'm overwhelmed with things I have to get done in a short period of time then I just start working. Slow and steady helps me feel better.

I spent three years under great stress---first watching my mother die slowly from ovarian cancer, adjusting to her death, then having my father die suddenly and having to settle their estate/sell the house etc.

At times of really high stress I would weed while crying or praying. Cleaning didn't work as well because I felt the need to be alone. No one follows me when I'm weeding.

I ate too much and probably had too much wine at times.

Walking fast worked.

The absolute best stress reliever turned out to be time with dh, including time ;) with dh. Now when I feel any stress or anxiety creep up on me I have him hold me for an extended period of time. Works like a charm :)

The only thing that really works for me is tackling the thing that's making me nervous. However, my go-to crutch right now is jigzone.com! Don't tell my boss . . . .

Jigzone got me through an insomnia period. I have found something better ... Nonograms - online puzzle game I do the 25x25 grids and it takes me around 30 minutes, though I try to ignore the timer. Some games take me hours because I have to keep leaving them. I still submit my score to the "hall of fame" against all the cheaters, lol.

I do crossword puzzles, I play solitaire or bejeweled blitz (on computer). Gardening works well, too.

My son says I've gotten such high scores (higher than his) on BB because I'm always on it :laugh: Should I tell him I'm always on it because I'm stressed :glare: and maybe it's because I have teenage boys????

Years ago it was ALWAYS get on the motorbike and go for a ride, preferablely fastish with lots of corners.

That worked sooo well. But I was not a parent then, so was immortal.

Stopped being fun suddenly, with parental responsibility.

ETA: I have not found any equal substitute.

Edited by Pod's mum

This time of year it is heading outside and scooping poop or otherwise messing with the horses/chores in the barn. When the weather is nicer I like to tack up my horse and go for a ride.

I posted one time on facebook that nothing clears the mind......and sinuses.....like scooping poop.

I shop. I don't ususally end up buying much, or anything at all. I just go from store to store and wander around. Stores like TJMaxx, Homegoods, Ross, Marshalls. Lots of variety, with fun and odd things to look at.

Last Thursday, DD6 had a rough day and I got some other bad knews that is going to cost us $500-1000 due to someone elses mistake. DD6 had a rough morning at home, then got suspended from kindergarten by 9:20am. I spent the afternoon shopping for healthclubs that would work for her to get some energy out (getting quite irritated at the club I drive by everyday with her due to thier poor customer service) trying to figure out how to fit it in the budget. She threw a huge tantrum in the car coming home and I was DONE DONE DONE with her! I walk in the door and dh made a joke about it, and it set. me. off. I knew he wasn't trying to be hurtful so I left the house to cool down. I came home 5 hours later at 10:30pm. I turned off my phone and just wandered around town finally ending up at Target and Kohls since they are open late. lol Dh knows me and knows to just leave me alone until I come home. lol The beauty of living in a bigish city is that I never saw a single person I knew the entire time I was gone. No one bugged me, wanted anything from me, tried to talk to me or got in my way (a tear stained face probably helped with those a bit).

Believe it or not, for me doing something with my hands that is mindless really helps - like doing the dishes. Doing anything physical: vacuuming, exercising, going for a walk.

Sometimes calming music helps.

Talking to a friend.

Praying.

I agree. I pull weeds. Take a walk. Something that I don't have to think about.

When I am just generally stressed or running on fumes and need to take care of myself:

Hot, hot bath.

Exercise- yoga, roller skating, stretching, biking, lifting weights as far as relaxing goes.

"tea"- the WTM version or the actual beverage.

Cooking

Read a book that has nothing to do with homeschooling.

When I am at a boiling point and need to calm down immediately so as to not to do anything regrettable:

A Time Out

Breathing

Then when I can think clearly, I deal with what it at hand and make a plan for one or more of the above things.

... It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, I do explain to my kids that I'm having a tantrum. It helps them to understand their own feelings too. ...

I do this too. Otherwise I am afraid they will internalize all of that mess. Most often it's work stress crashing into parenting stress. Not their fault.

Of course it would be nice if I never lost my cool at all, but let's not be dreamers. ;)

I don't calm myself very easily. Fortunately I'm a very low-stress person, unless things get really bad. When they get really bad, that's when it's difficult to calm myself! I usually have to take myself out of the situation completely. Make myself leave the house, get out, walk my dog, talk with friends, something that's a complete distraction and doesn't give me a chance to think about the issue at all. I pray throughout.