Menu

What do you do on Saturdays?

Jean in Newcastle

My husband works every Saturday. I usually sleep in a bit while letting the kids have some computer time, make the kids breakfast, take the kids to the park if not too rainy, do some schoolwork with my older son and try to get some exercise - bike ride, YMCA, basketball or whatnot. If I am lucky I catch Wait Wait and This American Life. If I am good, I make sure to pack a lunch to avoid eating out.

Sometimes I take the boys rollerskating or to the dollar theater. Sometimes we hook up with some friends to do something like that together. Sometimes my son enrolls in a class that meets on Saturdays around lunch and we shift to accomodate that. Sometimes we have friends or cousins over. It's also a popular day for birthday parties.

We usually pick up my husband from work on Saturdays if we have been out in the afternoon- he gets off at about 4:30 or 5. Dinner is usually easy (like leftovers or a made ahead and reheated sort of a thing) or with friends or we get a sitter and go out.

Early in the morning, my dh goes to the farmers market while I tidy up the house. Then we have breakfast and take the kids to AWANA. We pick them up at noon then all go to lunch together. Afterwards I grocery shop while dh does a few things around the house. It is usually about 2:30 or so by then. At that point, it depends. Sometimes we hang around the house, sometimes we go out.

Saturdays are pretty typical in the morning - taking care of girls, playing with them and doing the regular cleaning of the house. Afternoons are different since it is "family day" because dh is home. And we usually go out and do stuff together including a weekly early dinner out. Or we stay home and watch a movie...just stuff together as a family.

Today is completely different though - the girls are spending the night at a friend's house so it is DATE NIGHT!! :hurray:

Early, every Saturday morning, I go to the bagel shop and get a dozen bagels. Then I come home and plan for the coming week, while everybody else sleeps in. Then it varies. I usually try to do some housecleaning. Lately, I've been trying to do my grocery shopping before noon. Sometimes it is a bigger project and I make the kids and ds help too. This is the day dh might do some 'honey do' jobs around the house. Sometimes he helps the kids with school work, if they've been struggling with a math concept or need to talk about or prepare a talk or something. Sometimes we visit or are visited by granddad who lives an hour away. Sometimes dh wants to do something fun with the kids, like go to a movie or if the weather is nice drive to a park or some other kind of trip. Sometimes there is some social activity stemming from our church group or American Heritage Girls or just something social one of the kids wants to do with a friend. Sometimes dh and I go to dinner Saturday night. It is a really loose, kind of anything rolls, day.

This Saturday I plan to go get bagels, tidy up the kitchen, living room and dining in the a.m. Plan for meals and go grocery shopping. My college age son came home for the March for Life and brought his roommate so we have a house guest. I think they are planning to go to the Holocaust Museum today. My 17 yo is still working on his paper and is trying to get it done today. The youngest two might pal around with dh. At some point in the late afternoon, I'd really like to vacuum the bedrooms.

I had a very unconventional year last year and now that we are newly settled, I am trying to decide what my Saturdays look like! In a perfect world, I clean the house in the morning and hang out/plan week in the afternoon. Cleaning the house just sounds sooo daunting, though!

My Mom was just saying that my weekend plans were very exciting, and asking me how I can stand it. (All said in a good natured voice)

Other then normal chores for an hour or two the exciting things we have planned are:

- Some computer games will be played by everyone but me

- I will spend some time on the here on the hive mind

- Walk to the library (It's only -11)

- Play a board game - maybe even two of them

- Dh will read a Droon book out loud

- Eldest finish the Droon book he is reading to himself

- I will read out loud the Droon book Eldest just finished

- Dh will hopefully read another Droon book (Do you see a pattern here)

- Eldest might finish another Droon book

- I will read that Droon book out loud

- We will replace the thingy inside the bathtub facet so it stops dripping (This is the highlight of the weekend. We are saving it to Sunday night in case something goes wrong and we end up leaving it be until a plumber can come over and really fix it)

And if we feel like partying hard we might go to the board game store to play a board game. But I doubt we will do anything that exciting. You know, a person can handle only so much excitement.

We usually go swimming. But the pool is closed for repairs. :crying:

It's cold out, -20 sometimes, but we only have a light dusting of snow, so playing in the snow is not really an option.

As little as possible. :p Actually, today I did a load of laundry, swept and mopped the kitchen, and swept the entry and vacuumed the rug in the LR. Whew. I'm exhausted. After that, Indy had a friend over and they played Lego's and Wii and then went outside and I surfed the web, played with Han Solo and watched the last Episode of Sherlock. Oh, and I took a nap.

When it warms up, we'll go out and do stuff, especially now that we're moving back to the States in the fall. We've got to get as much Europe in as possible.

Today, I'm driving my daughter to and from acting class and rehearsal. In between, I hope to watch the movie I rented last night but couldn't stay up late enough to watch. And I am almost done with two books, both of which I might finish today, if I can be intentional about making time for it.

I already walked for an hour with the dog.

At some point, I'll have to do something about dinner.

Some Saturdays, we hit the big farmers' market in a nearby town. Other weekends, we do the local one to which we can walk on Sundays, instead.

I'm still in my jammies, though I've been up since 5. At some point, I'll go work out. I should go get another yard of fabric for guinea pig bedding, since I only got enough fleece for their lower level last week... Yes, our piggies are spoiled.

The kids have played in the snow and are now watching Dr Who with my husband, who just got home from work.

Otherwise, there's tidying and laundry, but not much going on.

Saturdays are usually busy with boys' activities.

We always make it to Pokemon league. It's the highlight of ds12's week. That's usually 3-4 hours.

We feel comfortable enough now to leave the boys there (ds12 has a phone) and dh and I have 3-4 hours of errands, hanging out, relaxing with each other.

Ds9 has archery practice in the evening. Ds12 and I stay home and catch up on Psych or Once Upon a Time. Sometimes just a movie.

Ds9 has soccer games during soccer season.

We try to fit in outside chores and odds and ends.

Well this Saturday I am sitting here catching up on these forums, email and fb. I'm drinking a coke and eating crackers with squeezy cheese(yes, so healthy I know), I've got a couple of loads of laundry going. In a few minutes I am going to change out of my pajamas and take #1 to the bookstore. After that I have no idea where the day will go ;)

It really depends on how busy we've been that week and what we have the next week. I'll admit that I'm sitting at the computer in my pj's drinking coffee at almost noon today. :) When DD3 goes down for a nap I'll go to the YMCA to get a workout in and make a quick grocery run. Then I'll come home and straighten the house. We have leftovers to eat for dinner. It was a pretty busy week so I'm glad to be home today. Next Saturday we have a swim meet 90 minutes away and we'll have to be up early for that so I'm enjoying my lazy day today. We actually have two swim meets next month.

We try to have nothing regular scheduled so we can use Saturday for whatever strikes our fancy that week. Last week it was nothing, and that was NICE. This week, my oldest is a a rehearsal for her musical at school. At 2, I have a bellydance fusion workshop with my newest dance crush! I'm making secret plans to run away from home and join her performance troupe! My DH and Ds are free.

Next weekend, I have a show and Ds has a teen event that Dh will take him too. Dd is free . . . she might just come to my show.

One son usually has some form of baseball- practice, game, or tournament. The other two usually have rehearsal for a show. We clean a little and run around to various activities and usually eat out for supper.

Today we only have a football game and baseball practice, so we are driving out of town for supper with my mil.

I start Saturday with dh bringing me coffee in bed. Then youngest brings me another cup of coffee in bed and cuddles with me while we chat and cuddle. After I finish the coffee, I make her breakfast. Dh makes his breakfast and cleans the kitchen then goes for a bike ride. I make a grocery list then he goes grocery shopping when he gets home. I do some laundry while he's gone. The girls clean their rooms and either vacuum or sweep and mop the kitchen while I clean the bathrooms. We go out for pizza for dinner. In between the other things, I sit in the corner of the couch with a book and read. In the summer, I hang out in my garden or in a park instead.

Today is a bit different because it is a quarterly maintenance weekend at work so I have three one-hour calls to attend that mess up my schedule.

It really varies, mostly based on whether or not there is something going on with scouts. If there is, dh and younger ds are at scouts. If not, dh is grading papers for the classes he adjuncts teaches, I'm doing my own schoolwork, and with both do odds & ends around the house. Often, we'll errand run in the am & get breakfast or lunch out. Tonight, we're having company so I need to get the house ready for them. 12 adults, no kids so at least I don't have to get the kid areas cleaned, etc. About once a month, we'll go to the city, shop there, go to a museum and eat out.

I make chocolate chip pancakes and sausage every Saturday morning.

Then we clean house doing whatever rooms are for that week on our rotation.

Then we try to do something fun.

We might do some school if the girls didn't finish something during the week that I really need them to complete.

That's it.

This Saturday is dh birthday...I made a breakfast casserole and land of nod rolls for breakfast. All the work was done last night, so all I had to do was enjoy my coffee while everything baked. We had a big breakfast. opening gifts, read the paper and talk to the kids on Skype.

Usually our weekends in the winter months are spent watching movies, exercising in our workout room and only doing fun stuff. I clean house every Friday, so we don't have to do it on the weekend. In the spring, summer and fall weekends usually find us outside working on our flowers, yard and exercising.

I clean during the week so I don't have to on the weekends (just maintenance). Ds has theater and choir, younger dd has dance all morning into the afternoon, and older dd either has work or relaxes all day. I prefer to relax, but sometimes in the afternoon we'll all drive an hour to visit my parents or go somewhere fun together. In the spring, younger dd has a bunch of dance competitions on Saturdays.

Mornings, I always work. The kids' ex-nanny comes around 8:30 and they do art/crafts, practice Spanish, go to swimming lessons, and do chores until around 1pm. Then, I do stuff with the kids until bedtime. It varies. Academic practice, music practice, sometimes shopping, something outdoors if the weather permits. Occasionally we will watch a DVD movie together, or we will do something completely silly like chase each other. Sometimes we eat in, sometimes out. Bath and bed.

Today is an odd day, though. After swim lessons, my friend picked the kids up and took them to "work" with her, while our monthly maid service cleaned and I "worked" at home. Late afternoon, they will come home and we'll all get ready to go to a celebration for Indian Republic Day - dinner followed by a cultural / dance exhibition.

I don't save too many chores for weekends. Saturday is the only day I have a big chunk of time with my kids.

Most saturdays I spend from 9-12 at the dance studio while my 3 youngest do acro classes, and sometime in the day I drive oldest to and from work. Otherwise I clean, and relax on Saturdays if I can. Acro ends at teh end of March, then 3 out of 4 Saturdays in April we will be at dance competitions, and the 4th one we will be at homeschool conference. May things start to relax and other than oldest needing to go to work Saturdays will be days for family and relaxation.

Took dd1 to basketball this morning. She does Little Hoopsters. Very low key. I just got back from the grocery store, am putting things away, baking oatmeal-potato bread and trying to catch up on laundry. I wanted to do some yard work/clean-up, but it's too gloomy out.

I had some special time with my oldest ds. We went for a walk with our dog and then out for a hot chocolate and chai :) I love that our dc are old enough to do this kind of thing now! Made my day. Dh took our younger son to the club for swimming and racquetball.

We got home and I cleaned out the fridge since I need to make a Costco run at some point this weekend.

Nothing or anything we want. My dh runs his own company and works long hours so weekends are simply hang out and relax times. I don't do any chores, grocery shopping, laundry, etc...Today I took my dd8 to breakfast, then we went to a thrift store. When we got back my dh took our son to lunch and ice cream. Since I got home I have been on the computer. I do a lot of planning for school on the weekends. Dh is on his laptop. My oldest is on her laptop. We are all in the same room and we converse back and forth. Dd8 and ds have been playing baseball & boxing on the wii. In a little bit we will all play a board game together. Tonight dd10 will stay up with us and watch a movie. This is a pretty normal weekend for us.

I work (teach swimming). In the middle of my shift, my dd15 comes and volunteers with the adaptive class that's offered. Then, she dresses and goes to her long Saturday pointe class at the studio which is next to the rec center. Dh takes younger ds to special olympics basketball and special olympics swimming. I finish my lessons and pick up dd after pointe class. We might return to ballet for early evening extra classes.

In the afternoon, we look at schoolwork, get chores done. In the evening, dd and I often watch movies together.

Sleep in a bit (which for me is until 7 or 8:30 lol). Some chores in the house and barn ...horse back riding mostly happens afterwards. An errand or two with DH, maybe lunch together. When the weather is nice we'll all go play tennis, bike ride, hike, or picnic...its a relax day for the most part.

I know your Saturday is almost over, so I hope you found something. The above is pretty much our Saturdays. Sometimes we visit with family too.

Today was shopping. Next Saturday is DS's birthday. DH will most likely not be here for it - or not until later in the day, so we went and got his birthday gift a week early - a new bike.

Our Saturdays are crazy. DS11 will be starting up Korean school again on February 9th. That goes from 9am to 12pm. If I haven't finished (I usually haven't) my meal plan for the week, I do that. Then I come up with my shopping list from that and what we have in the cabinets. Meanwhile, DH runs to the bank to get the cash for the week. When he gets back, we go over the budget and distribute the cash. Then we go shopping together, which involves Winco and sometimes Costco. We come home and put it all away, and then I cook an easy dinner. Some time during the day, we also try to get the house picked up, vacuumed, mopped, and dusted so it is relatively clean for youth group on Sunday. We spend the evenings watching a show (tonight it was a movie) during dinner and cleaning up dinner.

The past two weeks, a friend from church has asked for help coming up with art projects to keep the kids she is watching busy. The parents are taking Financial Peace University that her husband is teaching so she's stuck with four 6 year old boys to entertain for an hour and a half. I've done that so I stayed up late finding projects, making samples with directions, and gathering supplies.