Menu

Yard & neighborhood signs for high schoolers -- are these prevalent in your area?

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile....

For the past many years, it is extremely common in my area for yards to have a sign in it that states the high school name & a sport that the high schooler plays. Also, neighborhoods generally display signs in the Spring that list the names of graduates from the neighborhoods.

When these started appearing many years ago, I thought it was a pretty astute marketing scheme from the small, local print shops that make these signs. By now, they must be huge money makers -- these signs are everywhere all the time.

I'm wondering, though, if you see this in your area. If you don't mind, I'd also like to know the general area of where you live. I'm in the southeastern US.

I don't really have an opinion of the signs. Just really curious to see if it's something local, regional, or more widespread....

Edited by Stacia

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assumed they were fundraisers for the athletic and music booster clubs. They have them for all the hs sports team, band, orchestra and cheer.

That's what I think too (but I don't know for sure). I've just been curious because they're everywhere here for all the high school activities, plus graduation.

Yes to the first sign in the Dallas area. I assumed they were fundraisers for the athletic and music booster clubs. They have them for all the hs sports team, band, orchestra and cheer.

We don't have them here (Phx), but we lived 3 yrs in Dallas and they were everywhere. I mostly saw them for sports/cheer-leading, but that was in the late 90s.

I've never seen them here (FL) although I have seen car magnets with that info. My youngest sister is in high school in MI and her team is required to put a similar sign in their yards. I was visiting this summer when she came home with her sign. I actually thought she was joking when she told me she had to put it in the front yard.

Yes to the first sign in the Dallas area. I assumed they were fundraisers for the athletic and music booster clubs. They have them for all the hs sports team, band, orchestra and cheer.

:iagree:

In general Texas is a big football and cheerleading state so signs that say "N.M. Cheerleader/football players" live here are also common.

I'm in Colorado. I've seen something like that once, for a local Scout troop. Never for a high school activity.

King Soopers(regional Kroger) does take out an ad and list the names of all their employees who graduated each year. I've seen that.

I don't think I've seen anything else like that, but now that I've said that I'll probably see half a dozen in the next week. ;)

:iagree:

In general Texas is a big football and cheerleading state so signs that say "N.M. Cheerleader/football players" live here are also common.

When we first moved to DFW from CA I freaked out when I saw my first "Blank Cheerleader Lives Here" sign. To me it was like asking for trouble to advertise that a young teenage girl lived in this specific house.

When I lived in CA, as MOPS leaders were not allowed to put our last name in our brochure for our personal protection. The police said that our address could be traced from our last name. Also it was recommended that we not put any bumper stickers on our cars that mentioned we were female or moms.

Guess things are different in TX.

I grew up in Dallas area. We had signs for every high school sport, band, drill team, cheerleading, etc, etc.

Our favorite thing to do was go steal the rival teams signs before the big football game. We'd drive around in the middle of the night and grab them out of yards. Which was really kinda bad because they cost $$ to get in the first place... so it was totally theft. But, fun theft. ;)

You could usually find your sign (or one like it) in a pile somewhere after the game.

Yes, we always had those in Ohio. We had them back when I was in high school and let's just say that was not recently. :lol: It was a school spirit thing, and we made them at school (volunteers, cheerleaders, and other clubs would all get together) and it was actually fun. I notice when I go back to visit my family that they still do it, although they are a bit fancier. :)

I don't see them around here, but they seem to be all over the place when we go to Alpharetta with DH for work. Car magnets/window stickers, that include the child's first name and often jersey number ARE common. I have a magnet for DD's cheer team on my van, but it doesn't have her name on it.

Edited by dmmetler

In the part of Texas that I'm originally from, it is VERY common to see football, band, cheer, baseball, etc. signs up in yards. They'll generally have the school and the player number & which team (or some symbol indicating which team/activity, especially if no number is involved). (jersey number, I mean, in case that's not clear).

Also, the booster clubs have businesses "sponsor" a player (ie, donate money to the sport/activity, and we'll give you the sign for your sponsored player...) and the businesses display their sign(s) in the window as well. Which not only helps out the printing companies and the activities, but signifies to the community that Joe's Dry Cleaner is a community supporter, thus (hopefully) increasing his business/well-standing in the community as well.

Yep. I see them all the time in our city in northern IL. Mostly they are for football, but I've seen them for swim team and hockey as well. I never saw them growing up in southern IL, but we didn't have football, swim team, or hockey in our school. I assumed it was a "suburban football-obsessed wealthy school district" thing.