Menu

Yard & neighborhood signs for high schoolers -- are these prevalent in your area?

That's funny. People from Virginia and Utah said they see them and I never saw them in Utah and I've never seen them here in Virginia.

I saw them for the first time in Austin, Texas- ALL over.

I thought the same thing. I've never seen them anywhere I've lived- not in Utah or Virginia, nor in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, California, or Washington.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one in my front yard 20 years ago for the team sports I participated in. I grew up in central Ohio. Even people who were in the choir or musical groups in our school had a music note in their front yard. Some people even had multiple signs at any given time. The prank at the time was collecting a bunch of signs and putting them in one person's yard.

I'm in TX and it is VERY common here. Not just for football though- I've seen swimming, baseball, soccer, choir, band, cheerleading- pretty much any extra-curricular you can think of. Similar stickers for cars are very common here too, with the child's number and often their NAME.

We don't have those, but families often put up a sign of a high school senior's college choice.

Iowa

Huh. I've never seen this here in TX.

When we first moved to DFW from CA I freaked out when I saw my first "Blank Cheerleader Lives Here" sign. To me it was like asking for trouble to advertise that a young teenage girl lived in this specific house.

When I lived in CA, as MOPS leaders were not allowed to put our last name in our brochure for our personal protection. The police said that our address could be traced from our last name. Also it was recommended that we not put any bumper stickers on our cars that mentioned we were female or moms.

Guess things are different in TX.

Yup. I'm from CA too & never saw anything like this there.

DH and I don't really think it's a good idea to advertise our personal business, especially our children's business. So even though it's common here, no yard signs for us, nor bumper stickers, nor back windshield stickers with our children's names, nor Baby on Board signs, nor stork announcement signs in the yard with a new baby. Despite the cuteness factor, it just seems to be inviting unnecessary attention.

We have them for sports. They are usually made from plywood and are in the shape of something that represents the sport. Our DD had one for cheerleading (Megaphone) and tennis (Tennisball). The signs usually have the first name of the athlete and what position the athlete plays. No one does them for band or anything like that.

No one does signs for graduates and I have never seen yard signs for colleges either.

I am in west central IL.

Window clings are a big deal here. There are some minivans in town with so many window clings you wonder how the driver can see out the back windows.

There is one local school district that does have yard signs and even banners that are usually hung on garage doors for athletics.

What is popular here, and seems to be expanding to more school districts, is a yard sign for graduation. I can't remember exactly what they say but something to the effect of "A (insert school name) graduate lives here."

We are in SW Ohio.

We don't have those, but families often put up a sign of a high school senior's college choice.

Iowa

Now that strikes me as really odd. While I haven't seen the sports signs where I live, it makes a certain amount of sense in that public cheering for athletes is kind of the norm. But college choice? Now I'm imagining GPA signs and SAT score signs and "5 on the APUSH exam!" signs.

Then again, those "proud parent of an honor roll student" bumper stickers have been around a long time, so maybe it isn't so weird, after all.

No. Signs of any kind are prohibited here by zoning laws. Political signs are only allowed within a certain window of an election and must be removed within 48 hours after an election. If you have a sign posted, the building inspector comes by and removes it.

I see them in SoCal. A friend of mine has kids in public school sports. They have huge banners above their garage that say "Seahawk track star Susie Smith". Which I think is not a great idea simply b/c they have banners for both their son & daughter, and I wouldn't want strangers driving by to know my kids' full names. :001_huh:

Yes. In North Texas.

Football players, cheerleaders, dance team seem the ones mostly. Sometimes you'll see something for basketball or swimming or whatever. It seems to be trickling down to cheer teams and such also. I'm unsure of the ones that use the young person's name. That doesn't seem safe.

Then there is what we put on our cars. A LOT of people have an icon for their child's sport (soccer, dance, whatever) or honor roll. The ones for our elementary is a big letter for the name of the school (for example, K) with a paw print with smaller paw prints given for each grading period. Again, names are common also.

Here is a family sticker for our family (though we'd have to change out stickers for each foster kid we have/get also):

b05fc4c32c5e37e109e620f1a33d0e4e.gif

Edited by 2J5M9K

Iowa

Now that strikes me as really odd. ... Now I'm imagining GPA signs and SAT score signs and "5 on the APUSH exam!" signs.

Oh, I don't think they're bragging, it's more of an in-state rivalry thing. I think I've only ever seen them for University of Iowa, Iowa State, and University of Northern Iowa. I would guess that the majority of high school grads around here pick one of those three, and there is a friendly rivalry between those schools.

Oh, I don't think they're bragging, it's more of an in-state rivalry thing. I think I've only ever seen them for University of Iowa, Iowa State, and University of Northern Iowa. I would guess that the majority of high school grads around here pick one of those three, and there is a friendly rivalry between those schools.

Ah, I see. So more of a school spirit thing than My Kid Got Into Yale. Much nicer! :)