Menu

Poll: When doing an outing/activity, do YOU participate???

Do YOU participate in outings/kids activities?  

1. 1. Do YOU participate in outings/kids activities?

• Always!
    • Most of the time (say about 75% of the time)
    • Ah... about half of the time....
    • Rarely. Maybe if it's something I really, really want to do, but otherwise no....
    • Never

Ah, my first poll! So, here's what I'm wondering....

Let's say you're getting together w/ a group of folks (could be hsing or not, but other people you get together w/ who have kids in the same age range). Your group is going to meet for an activity (sort-of a 'kid' activity, but the adults could participate too, if they wanted) -- roller skating, ice skating, skiing, sledding, a tree roping class for a couple of hours, bounce house/jumpy place, canoeing class, swimming, etc....

Do YOU (the parent) participate? Always? Never? Sometimes? Why or why not?

:lurk5:

Depends on the activity. If I'm going to end up looking like a dork, no, I don't participate. I'll use ice skating as an example for that. I also would no roller skate or get into a bounce house.

Exactly this, except add in strong possibilities of killing myself due to extreme clumsiness.

I always tell my kids that they need to play with other kids, not with me. If I get involved, that kind of defeats the purpose. But I will do it if it will improve the situation, e.g., I get in the pool when I let my kids swim in the "deep" part because I don't quite trust them on their own yet. I might "play" in the beginning of a newer activity to help my kids warm up to it, if needed. But I won't go just to keep them company or because I couldn't bear to let them have an experience without me.

I said half, but it *really* depends upon the activity. swimming lessons, obviously not. private swimming for fun, yes. field trip activity - generally I focus all my time on helping dudeling focus, if I want to see stuff, I can't have him with me or else need another adult to take a turn watching him.

Yes, I usually participate. Why? It's fun! I answered the poll 75% of the time though, as I like to leave the option of sitting on my butt open;)

Susan

LOL. Just the opposite here.

I usually don't participate. I don't find stuff like that fun at all, and I am thrilled to sit around and chat with other moms.

:D

Depends on the activity. If I'm going to end up looking like a dork, no, I don't participate. I'll use ice skating as an example for that. I also would no roller skate or get into a bounce house.

:iagree: I don't like to look stupid! Also if I had a friend at the activity to talk to I might not, I desperately need adult interaction!

About 75% of the time. I do not roller skate or ice skate though. My balance is horrible. I have a vestibular imbalance, and I will just randomly fall over for no reason :lol:.

Twice a year in our AWANA club we rent a bouncehouse or slide. The kids get a kick out of seeing the leaders participate. The slide is my favorite. :D

Most of the time. In the past month, I've taken my kids swimming, ice skating, and roller skating, for example, and I did all those things too.

I secretly want to be a roller derby girl but refrained from pushing anyone out of the way during the adults-only skate song.

Edited by WordGirl

Yes, I usually participate. Why? It's fun! I answered the poll 75% of the time though, as I like to leave the option of sitting on my butt open;)

I have to participate. I can't let those punk teens think they can beat me on the bouncy-place inflatable obstacle course!!!

This sounds like me. :lol: I often participate, even if I look like a doofus (i.e., totally wiping out in a huge way roller skating, even though I roller skated a lot when I was a kid; feeling motion sick from tree roping in the hot sun :tongue_smilie:; etc...). I even just started taking ice skating classes for me, just for fun (& my teen dd decided to sign up because I did).

I suppose (1) I usually think these things are fun; (2) I stock ibuprofen at home for myself ;); (3) in some ways, my kids are less adventurous & I want to give them examples to lighten up & enjoy things; (4) I'm on hand to be the one who's really bad at something so all the kids in the group can feel like they did well :tongue_smilie:, plus I'm around/in the activity if someone actually needs help (if I can actually render assistance, rather than needing the assistance myself, lol)....

Let's say you're getting together w/ a group of folks (could be hsing or not, but other people you get together w/ who have kids in the same age range). Your group is going to meet for an activity (sort-of a 'kid' activity, but the adults could participate too, if they wanted) -- roller skating, ice skating, skiing, sledding, a tree roping class for a couple of hours, bounce house/jumpy place, canoeing class, swimming, etc....

Those kinds of activities? Heck yeah! I'm not going to let them have all of the fun. It makes me sad if I have some reason I can't participate in the fun.

I have been nursing babies or chasing toddlers for so long and sitting on the sidelines out of necessity that I think I've forgotten the fun in doing these things to the degree that I just don't desire to. I don't open Christmas presents either and that all seems like the natural bent my life has taken. And I am perfectly content. Momma entertains herself in other ways. :D

Depends on what we are doing. Bounce houses? No way. I am overweight and my bad luck as a kid(falling off bus when on crutches, walking into doorways, tripping and needing stitches, slicing my fingers with knives many times) I just don't do things like that...it could pop. It would pop on ME! :tongue_smilie::lol::lol:

But other things, yes. I like roller skating until my feet hurt. I like rock climbing. I like skiing/snowboarding.

And honestly, depends on the company :D

It depends on what it is. I rarely participate in ice or roller skating or things like that; I'd love to, but I want my dc to have that time with their friends. They spend all day with me.:001_smile: If it is an academic or special activity (factory tour, complicated craft, etc.,) I participate. For example, we had a class to make Pisanki at Easter, and the moms sat at a table and did it, too.

I participate when we go do things as a family, but usually not with a homeschool or other group activity.

I put rarely.

We go to a monthly homeschool rollerskating day. Zee skates, Moose plays the arcade games, and I get to chat with my girlfriends. We all have fun, but only one of us is doing the 'activity'. I really look forward to skating.

At park day, the boys play and eat, and I get to sit and chat with my girlfriends, outside in the nice weather. I LOVE park day.

If we did swimming, I wouldn't participate, because I have yet to find appropriate and modest swimming attire for me. So, we may not even do that at all, depending. If I had a friend going who was going to be in the pool, and she felt comfortable looking after my boys too (for safety), then we would. I mean, of course I'd be watching the boys too, but I'd only be getting in the pool in the case of a major emergency.

So no, most of the time I don't do the 'activity', but I still enjoy myself.

I always tell my kids that they need to play with other kids, not with me.

This.

If I get involved, that kind of defeats the purpose. But I will do it if it will improve the situation, e.g., I get in the pool when I let my kids swim in the "deep" part because I don't quite trust them on their own yet. I might "play" in the beginning of a newer activity to help my kids warm up to it, if needed. But I won't go just to keep them company or because I couldn't bear to let them have an experience without me.

More so when my dc were younger. Not anymore. I don't want to play with them. Not now that they're older. It would feel weird from my point of view and theirs. ;)

It depends on the activity.

It depends on whether I have some friends I want to hang out with on the sidelines, and I want to sit out so I have the chance to socialize with them.

It depends on whether most of the participants are teens who will get That Look in their eye if a mom tries to get in on the action. Please note we have That Mom who sometimes/often crosses the bounds into appearing as though she's trying to relive her youth via her dd's friends, and it's pretty apparent that my dd and some of her friends find it quite weird -- so I try to avoid being That Mom II. So, for example, if a bunch of teens are skating, and some moms decide to skate together as a group of adults enjoying an activity, okay. Or if a mom straps on her skates, comments that she's been dying to get some exercise, goes off and does her own thing for the most part, sometimes skating over and talking to the kids, also okay. But if a bunch of teens are skating, and a mom tags along with them and tries to appear like one of the teenage gang, not okay.

I never shy away from an opportunity to look like a dork;).

I have to participate. I can't let those punk teens think they can beat me on the bouncy-place inflatable obstacle course!!! I tend to participate in the physical activities and hide from the crafts.

:iagree: This exactly.

Those kinds of activities? Heck yeah! I'm not going to let them have all of the fun. It makes me sad if I have some reason I can't participate in the fun.

:iagree:

I am basically an overgrown child. I love participating in neat activities with the kids. And I have to prove that I am much more cool than all those other homeschool nerds.

It depends on the activity. Roller skating, ice skating are out because the risk of falling means excruciating pain/possible broken bones and a long recovery. The bounce house is not meant for someone who has given birth more than once, KWIM. Most of those other activities sound fun to me. However, if I were the only mom to do it, I probably would chose to have some adult conversation instead. Since my BFF/exercise partner "broke up" with me, I crave adult conversation and annoy the heck out of people trying to make small talk:).

The activities you listed? An exuberant YES to each and every one of them! I love those types of things! And our indoor bounce house here allows adults to bounce for free with paid child admission. Heck yeah I'm bouncing!

Susan

:iagree:

When we take the Scouts sledding, rollerskating, bowling, swimming, etc., they LOVE seeing the leaders get involved. Some of the best times we have as a family and within our "groups" are when the adults cut loose and have some fun... Like yesterday when we had an all-out snowball war in the backyard!

It depends. Before the babies, yes, I often participated. Once I started having trouble during pregnancy #5, no, I wasn't allowed to participate, nor during pregnancy #6 when I was to take it easy. Now I'm chasing toddlers and it's hard to participate in anything until they are old enough to participate. Once the little ones get big enough to start joining in, I'll begin to join in more often. It's just the season of life. :001_smile:

I have to participate. I can't let those punk teens think they can beat me on the bouncy-place inflatable obstacle course!!! I tend to participate in the physical activities and hide from the crafts.

Now me, I do the crafts & hide from the physical activity... :D

But I'm a craft addict..

(knitting,sewing crochet quilting scrapbook, cards, drawing, coloring, painting cross stitching embroidering fool)

If you have an Alpine Slide nearby, try that though! Totally worth the humilitaion of crashing or being a semi out of shape housewife. ... I couldn't stop laughing the whole way down, even after I scraped up my whole upper leg. (Trying to go as fast as possible the first time)

Edited by lcelmer

For the types of activities described in the OP, yes! I would do those in a heartbeat!

But for classes or for crafty things, nuh-uh.

I guess it all depends of what each of us considers fun. I lurve roller skating, but hate crafts, so I do the roller skating. But I have friends who are the opposite of me, and they would not ever roller skate, but will sit for hours crafting.

No, not most things. But something like a museum tour, I would do. Some of the listed activities are forbidden to me (too high risk for Coumadin users). One we haven't done with a homeschool group but if we did, I would do is canoeing. I am allowed to do that and I like it. So if we did that as a group, I would probably do it.

I voted 75% yes. I always said I wanted to be a mum that participates. I especially remember holidays where the parents were all refusing to swim at the beach with us kids, we loved it when they came with us.

The -25% is due to the present necessity of sitting out bigger things to watch DS2 18months (and I need to watch him like a hawk, and often chase him down like a bloodhound!). But once he's big enough bring it all on. This is one major reason why I chose to have children so young and homeschool them. :)

I voted half the time, but today I *really* don't feel like it. I was reminded today my daughter has a roller skating event later this week. I have no intention of skating this time, though I have the previous years. Part of the reason is my husband tickled me this morning and I seem to have hurt my back. *sigh* That's a first :tongue_smilie:.

I always tell my kids that they need to play with other kids, not with me. If I get involved, that kind of defeats the purpose. But I will do it if it will improve the situation, e.g., I get in the pool when I let my kids swim in the "deep" part because I don't quite trust them on their own yet. I might "play" in the beginning of a newer activity to help my kids warm up to it, if needed. But I won't go just to keep them company or because I couldn't bear to let them have an experience without me.

FWIW, I get involved in these types of activities because I want to, not to keep my kids company. I don't hover over them or even play with them necessarily, though I have to stay closer to DD6 especially when skating because she's still learning.

I voted rarely.

1) There is usually a fee associated with participation and it is easier to pay for 2 kids rather than 2 kids and one adult.

2) I enjoy talking with grown ups every now and then.

The one exception is monthly roller blading. The rate is cheap enough that I'll usually get out on the roller rink and have fun with the kids.