Menu

What is the best Halloween candy?

ScoutTN

7 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Reese’s peanut butter cups are definitely high on my list, particularly the small, fat ones. Snickers are up there too, and Butterfingers, but Heath bars are The Best.

Heath bars are less common too. Yummy on top of brownies or vanilla ice cream! 

I have found through the years that my trick or treaters LOVE Sour Patch Kids and Utz Cheese Balls, so those are what I tend to buy. For us personally?  We like Reese's  and York peppermint patties.  

ETA: I know Utz Cheese Balls are not candy 🤣, and the first year I gave them out,  I was quite surprised how fast they were chosen in my candy bowl.  They have become a staple, though.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

Dum-dums are my favorite! Also Snickers. The kids give me all of their Almond Joy bars every single year lol. I put them in the freezer because I like them cold. I’ll eat one mini/fun size one whenever I want a little bite of something sweet. 

• Like 4

I like Reese’s and Twix but I enjoy finding things in Halloween hauls that are less common. Heath bars, Milk Duds are favorites. It’s been a few years but Charleston Chews and Bit o’ Honey would make my Halloweens when they showed up. I introduced my kids to Charleston Chew a few years ago and they thought I was nuts to enjoy that.

I always thought it common knowledge that the chocolate based candy was superior but I have a couple kids that would go for Skittles and gummies over chocolate bars so now I buy a variety to hand out. Though growing I did always hoard those little double packs of Sweet Tarts when we were trading. 

• Like 4

York Peppermint Patties and Reese's are my favorites, partly for sentimental reasons.  I grew up in York, Pennsylvania.  Home of York Peppermint Patties and also the home of Harry Reese.  Utz is also based in York County as is Stauffer's (animal crackers).  And Hershey is nearby.

It's no wonder that I gravitate toward so many unhealthy foods.  I grew up in the junk food capital of the world. :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I might be an outlier.  I'm not fond of Reese's.

I like many kinds of candy bars, and my favorites change over the years.  Some of my faves have been Twix, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, and Heath / Skor.  I also like candy corn, and those soft maple flavored chewy candies that most people hate (the ones wrapped in black and orange paper).

I hope I don't eat too much this year....

• Like 1

I prefer milky way.  Or reese's minis.  Heath bars are for my blizzards . . . 
Dh bought a bag for trunk or treat on saturday, I took a few pieces and sent him on his way.  Then dudeling came and wanted to know where the candy went . . . I can count on one hand (well, maybe two - with fingers left over) the number of kids I've had at my house in 40 years . . . .If I get any tonight, I have fruit snacks in the basement.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Butterfinger, Heath, Twix, Milk Duds, Dots, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, Smarties. I kind of enjoy the Bottlecaps (as long as I don't get root beer). They are nostalgic. Can't really get them other times of year.

When I was a child, my grandma used to give out the worst Halloween candy (she was on a fixed income). She gave out these cheap bubblegum sticks. They looked like pink straws. I think the brand was Joe Blow/Jo Blo...something like that. And Mary Janes. I kind of miss them now. Rarely has DD ever gotten Mary Janes in her candy pail over the years. I'm not even sure they sell them in the Halloween section anymore.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

Either the quality of Reese's has declined, or I lost my taste for them once I ate my first peanut butter cup from Trader Joe's. In any case, I am not a fan of Reese's, though I used to be.

Snickers, Milky Way Midnight, or 100 Grand Bar bar are my favorites. I like sticky caramel-y things. 

• Like 2

Probably York peppermint patties and Reese cups. Almond Joy must be near the top.

Our family also likes the Tootsie Roll family of stuff if it’s fresh. We like all but the fruity ones, and those are tolerated. The key is to buy them at high production times of the year and keep them religious sealed well. They are a good option if you need gluten and/or peanut free treats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

If I get any tonight, I have fruit snacks in the basement.

We don't get trick or treaters either. Our plan every year is just to figure out what snacks we have that will suffice. Good thing we do like sweets so there is always something. If not I guess we start giving out bowls of ice cream or be the fruit family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Clarita said:

be the fruit family

😂😂😂

The busiest years we get about 10 visitors. This year it is close to freezing all of a sudden and there are scattered snow showers so the burden may fall on me to take care of these bags of Twix and Almond Joy. Thanks for the upthread suggestion about using the freezer.

DD just reminded me that we have a lot of freebie toothbrushes. That could be a back up if I accidentally eat all the candy and then someone shows up after all.

Edited by Miss Tick
better health choices
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Another fan of Trader Joe's peanut butter cups here. I far prefer them to Reese's.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes!!!! If you eat the TJ ones, the Reese’s are forever ruined. Aldi always has some that are almost the exact same as the TJ ones! They are very good!

Also, Justin’s white chocolate peanut butter cups are to die for. 

ETA: I think I need to correct my post. I think maybe Aldi has sea salt caramel squares, (not peanut butter cups) which are on the same level as TJ chocolate. Whole Foods does have both their own peanut butter cups and caramel squares, also just as good as TJ. Probably none of this matters, but I’m correcting it just in case.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Malory said:

How many kids came knocking on your door? We passed out goodies to fewer than ten. Where have all the kids gone?

Enough to finish a giant bag of candy from Costco (minus about 10 pcs for Dh and Ds) in two hours! Lots of middle schoolers here tonight. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Enough to finish a giant bag of candy from Costco (minus about 10 pcs for Dh and Ds) in two hours! Lots of middle schoolers here tonight. 

I was at a food store tonight that has a place to sit and eat and hang out.  About 6-8 young high school (9th grade most likely) came in with pillow cases FILLED with candy!  They were all dressed up and had the most awesome hauls of candy.  When I complimented them on their hauls they were so kind and offered me some (I declined) and were so happy to see they had small toys too!  They were really cute.   

• Like 2

We had about 75. Supposedly about 1200 people came to the Halloween carnival/haunted house at the center. I also did a trunk or treat for a developmental disabilities parent group, which had about 300 participants, and gave out candy to the 50 or so preschoolers for their in building trick or treat :). 

I love Almond Joy, Milk Duds, Sugar Babies, Tootsie rolls and the fruit rolls. I kind of miss the variety of candy that came home when I still had a trick or treat aged kid living here. 

I do plan to check after Halloween sales because my music kids are doing the Christmas parade, and I figure that now is a good time to stock up. 

• Like 4

We had a nice number of trick or treaters. Not sure how many but it was really only from about 6:00-7:15 and it was enough to be fun but not so many to be overwhelming. We also live at the top of a hill so while a lot of people probably come from surrounding areas to our more densely populated neighborhoods only the committed or the actual neighborhood kids make it to the top of the hill. 

This is our first year in this neighborhood and it is a more upscale neighborhood than we have ever lived in before. It sounds awful but it was the first time it hasn’t been a little uncomfortable with some of the characters that have shown up on Halloween. There were always older kids in very scary costumes or groups of older kids with no costumes at all or adults coming to the door or kids coming very late after our lights are out. 
Those things can be a little unsettling. When else do you just open the door after dark to strangers and stand there and chit chat? 

I’m not against older kids trick or treating (before I get bashed). But I’m just being honest that a bunch of kids bigger than me in scary costumes or no costumes banging on my door after my lights are out is a little uncomfortable. We didn’t have any of that in our new location and that was really nice.

• Like 5