Menu

Covid Vax 12-17

Ausmumof3

Mine both got it this summer, 13 & 14.  They were both fairly tired the next day and had minor headaches after both doses.  100% back to normal the following day.

They were so happy to get it. My normally very shot-adverse older son only squeezed my hand a little on the first dose, and didn’t even ask me to stand near him for the second.

• Like 1

Both my 14 yo and my 16 yo have had both shots. Very little reaction to the first doses, aside from sore arms. DS 16 felt sick for a day after shot 2 and DS 14 felt a little tired but not much more than that. 

DD 11.9 will be turning 12 soon and be getting hers shortly thereafter! Now just waiting for DS9's turn -- he's the one who really needs it! 

• Like 1

After the first shot, my 12 year old had a very sore arm and by evening he had a bad headache.  He slept until about noon the next day.  Normally he would get up around 7.

After the second shot he had a very sore arm and slept way late the next morning again.  His armpit lymph node on the shot side swelled up to the size of a golf ball by the 24 hour mark.  It started to go down the day after that and was better by one week post-shot.

Note:  We left a 9.5 week gap between doses and limited physical activity during the week following the second dose.

• Like 1

I have 3 in that age group that got vaccinated. One had a bit of dizziness and a pretty bad headache to go with the sore arm. The other had a bad headache and a sore arm. The third, who we expected to react very strongly as he has an overactive immune system, was pretty ill for 3 days. Very bad headache, body aches, fever, stomach ache, sore arm. He slept a lot. This same kid's dr urged his vaccination because of his immune system issues. The second shot was a little better than the first for all of us. No known previous COVID illnesses.

I did give ibuprofen to them due to the worries over the myocarditis risk. 

12 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

I have 3 in that age group that got vaccinated. One had a bit of dizziness and a pretty bad headache to go with the sore arm. The other had a bad headache and a sore arm. The third, who we expected to react very strongly as he has an overactive immune system, was pretty ill for 3 days. Very bad headache, body aches, fever, stomach ache, sore arm. He slept a lot. This same kid's dr urged his vaccination because of his immune system issues. The second shot was a little better than the first for all of us. No known previous COVID illnesses.

I did give ibuprofen to them due to the worries over the myocarditis risk

Does this reduce it?  Did a Dr recommend?  Before or after the shot?

My 13 and 15yo sons got vaccinated immediately after it was approved for their age group.  The 13yo just had a very sore arm after both shots.  The 15yo felt pretty awful starting about 8 hrs after the second dose; he ran a fever and was pretty miserable until about hr 36, at which point all symptoms evaporated.

I was concerned about myocarditis so I didn't let them do really vigorous exercise for a few days.  I quizzed the nurse extensively on what to watch for and she said that the major symptom to be alert to is extreme shortness of breath.  

Edited by JennyD

17 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Does this reduce it?  Did a Dr recommend?  Before or after the shot?

I read somewhere (this was back in late May/June when they were discussing it all over the news) an interview of a Dr and he said one of the ways that the Drs were treating mild cases of myocarditis after vaccinations was to give ibuprofen for the inflammation and not allow physical activity. So I figured it couldn't hurt to just give them some proactively. 

Edit to add: After the shot. 

Edited by bluemongoose
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Would anyone mind sharing their experience with COVID vax for teens?  This is available here now - yay - but I’m feeling nervous.  Hoping the hive can reassure me!

Both of my teens took long naps the afternoon after receiving the vaccine but both were right as rain a day later. Oh, and sore arms.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Your kids got Covid even though they’re vaccinated is that right?  Has it stayed mild?

Yes.

My daughter 19, did test positive via PCR but had zero symptoms. We went back and tested the day after we got the positive test results and she was in the clear.  I think if you are breathing it in your nose you will test positive even if it hasn't had much of a chance to replicate in you or affect you. She worked in a day care full of it that shut down for awhile.  Is that "having it"? I don't know.  Nobody else in the house got it from though not isolating and neither did another family she was around. They went and tested too. 

My 14 year had what appeared to be a basic cold last week. 16 year old also had cold symptoms. Not a big deal. Didn't affect their breathing. One tested negative and one positive (more accurate PCR test). DH and I never had symptoms. We are testing again today. There is no way to really know but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had a cold but one happened to have virus in his nose. I say that only because someone with symptoms tested negative AND DH and I should be more susceptible since our vaccines are much older and the only one who tested positive was the most recently vaccinated kid who was also well past two weeks. 

We are not isolating. We wear masks in congregate settings and are vaccinated and are scrupulous about testing and quarantine but I can't imprison and depress my teens forever, so I'm sure we are being exposed plenty. Well, obviously since I allowed my daughter to work in a large daycare.

Edited by frogger
Grammar typo
  • Like 2

My 15 year old and all of her friends were vaccinated this summer. After the first shot, she had fatigue for about 4 days and a very slightly sore arm. After her second shot, she started taking ibuprofen 4 hours after the shot and only had 1 day of fatigue. 

I’m counting the days until my 11 year old can be vaccinated. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Sore arms with first.  Fatigue and headaches (maybe a low fever?) After second.   They took ibuprofen and napped. Ages 13 and 16

ETA: the arms were much more sore the second time.  

This was my kiddo - sore arm w/ first, tired and a bit headachey w/ second. 

• Like 1

I looked up because my teens got their Pfizer doses last spring:

A--first dose-COVID arm that moved to new onset eczema spreading down that arm (took about 2 weeks or so to resolve).  Very mild tender arm. 

A-2nd dose: about 24 hours of low grade fever, mild headache, mild fatigue. Painful, swollen lymph node in injection armpit that resolved quickly (injection point itself was only mildly affected this time). He mostly did his normal routine the next day without issues. This was very similar to own response to the 2nd shot, except I had no skin reactions. 

---- 

B--first dose--injection site tenderness, hives on arm and upper torso appeared that evening or the next day (resolved quickly), COVID arm about a week after the vaccine.(so weird that happened to both my teens--neither my husband nor myself had any skin things appear). 

B-2nd dose--higher fever (102), nausea, more significant headache and fatigue. All resolved largely within 24 hours, but he mostly laid around/slept. Like his brother, he also had a lymph node swelling that quickly resolved. This particular teen tends to run really high fevers with viruses (103-105 kind of high).

DS13 got his jabs last spring. You'd have to dig through the thread that was linked for details on his reaction because I don't recall anything major. Which means he was fine. 🙂 

I recall him having a sore arm and saying "It hurts if I poke it", and then proceeding to poke it. 🙄 Augh.  I think he might have been a little tired and off his feed for a day, but nothing major. 

Edited by MissLemon

Both of mine did fine. Definitely sore arm, felt sick and gross for about a day. One of my kids did have a less common reaction, which was that it messed with his sense of taste. He thought everything was rotten/moldy for a few hours and then his taste buds were off for a week. The feeling that a lot of things were rotten went away really quickly, but he said that several things that he likes just weren't quite right sometimes for about a week. Nowhere near the severity of people who have the really bad version of Covid where everything tastes wrong. 

My kids got it, ages 12, 12, and 16.  

My daughter felt a little bad, but definitely for less than 2 days (I remember being worried it was more than 1 day, but then major improvement the 2nd day and she was fine before 48 hours passed).

That was the worst out of my 3 kids. One other kid had zero side effects whatsoever.  One felt bad the next day but it was not as bad as my daughter, I think it was just one afternoon he felt tired more than that he actually felt sick.  

On 9/12/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Your kids got Covid even though they’re vaccinated is that right?  Has it stayed mild?

So we tested again. Everyone was negative.  Since DS with negative test both times also had symptoms I'm thinking they had a cold and DS that tested positive could have had symptoms from the cold rather than from Covid. I mean it could have been either but they were working outside with someone else who also came down with a cold the next day so it is likely. 🤷

Both parents had negative PCR tests and never had any symptoms whatsoever. 

As far as I can tell, our vaccines seem to be working well. 

• Like 1