Menu

Prayers please * update #2

rebcoola

My 11 year old has been sick and took a turn for the worse.  DH took her to urgent care they pretty much immediately sent her to the ER.  They are still running tests but her oxygen is in the 80's and her white cell count is through the roof. 

Update-Thanks for all the prayers.  Rapid Covid test is negative   She is positive for strep throat.  X-ray at urgent care showed pneumonia her whole right lung is full.  She is IV antibiotics for the next 24hrs at least. They had to put her on oxygen and they are going to do more imaging of her lungs in the morning.

Update-2.  She is getting better slowly.  She was able to get off oxygen today.  She is still on multiple antibiotics and still needs some IV fluids.  She has to work on moving, eating and drinking more herself.  This is my ADHD sensory seeker who usually never stops moving but this has really zapped her. 

Edited by rebcoola
  • Sad 39

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Praying for sure.  Wasn't your 13 year old very sick for a long time, too, with suspected covid?  I'm so sorry for all of you!

Yes her COVID test came back negative.  Official diagnosis was an ear infection and walking pneomonia.   Now a month later my 11 yr old has strep and pneomonia.  We don't have the quick COVID test but they did swab her.  It seems like a weird coincidence.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Yes her COVID test came back negative.  Official diagnosis was an ear infection and walking pneomonia.   Now a month later my 11 yr old has strep and pneomonia.  We don't have the quick COVID test but they did swab her.  It seems like a weird coincidence.

I had pneumonia and all of the covid symptoms....shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, atypical x day, etc.....but my covid antibody test was negative.   There might be another weird covid like virus out there.

Hope she feels better soon.

• Thanks 1

Praying for a fast recovery. Antibiotics should help her immensely. 

Is she positive for strep as in strep throat, or Streptococcus pneumoniae, which causes pneumonia, ear infections, etc?

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Praying for a fast recovery. Antibiotics should help her immensely. 

Is she positive for strep as in strep throat, or Streptococcus pneumoniae, which causes pneumonia, ear infections, etc?

Strep throat they did a rapid test as one of the first tests.   

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I had pneumonia and all of the covid symptoms....shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, atypical x day, etc.....but my covid antibody test was negative.   There might be another weird covid like virus out there.

Hope she feels better soon.

And the test could have been wrong?!

39 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

And the test could have been wrong?!

And that is the big question.  Maybe I never had covid.  Maybe the test had a false negative.  Maybe I did have COVID but the antibodies didn't last over 3 months.

The thing is, we will likely never know.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

And that is the big question.  Maybe I never had covid.  Maybe the test had a false negative.  Maybe I did have COVID but the antibodies didn't last over 3 months.

The thing is, we will likely never know.

I think there are tens of thousands of people in this same situation.

covid works differently than they way pneumonia affects the lungs.  pneumonia fills the avoili with fluid.  covid has a different mechanism to depress oxygen levels.  pneumonia can be both lungs, or only one of five lobes. 

I've had all three lobes in the right lung (and some crossover to the left lung), and just the middle lobe of the right lung in January.  I hope she responds to the antibiotics - so they think it's bacterial?  Easier to treat (in some ways.)  I originally aspirated a piece of food - so if I ever get something in my lungs, the scar tissue will start to burn.  

Even in the hospital they gave me this as a supplement to help counter the ravaging effects of the antibiotic on my GI.  (when I had pneumonia the first time, I could feel my GI burning from all the bacteria being killed.)  both times - I had to have an antiemetic with each dose of IV antibiotic. (this time they switched me to something "easier")

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Saccharomyces-Boulardii-Veg-Capsules/dp/B0053W995W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2YAZFG06B2KH9&dchild=1&keywords=saccharomyces+boulardii&qid=1590593871&sprefix=sacch%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-5

this is actually a beneficial yeast  - so the antibiotic won't kill it, but it will help to prevent bad yeast from taking over.   a really good probiotic and prebiotics are also beneficial - but taken apart from when the antibiotics are taken.

• Like 1

Just want to chime in and second the recommendation for s boulardii. After two rounds of antibiotics I had a lifethreatening c diff infection. While I did have to take some major drugs to kill the c diff, my doctors also recommended s boulardii not only for the duration of the infection but also for quite some time afterwards. 

It's a wise preventive for anyone who is so seriously ill.

I hope your precious child is well soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Just want to chime in and second the recommendation for s boulardii. After two rounds of antibiotics I had a lifethreatening c diff infection. While I did have to take some major drugs to kill the c diff, my doctors also recommended s boulardii not only for the duration of the infection but also for quite some time afterwards. 

It's a wise preventive for anyone who is so seriously ill.

I hope your precious child is well soon.

I agree.  But wanted to add that you need to space it out so that you take it either one hour before or one hour after the antibiotic so that they don't cancel each other out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  One of our best friends studies gut flora so we  are well versed.  She has only been on antibiotics like once in her life so hoping she responds well.  They have turned down her oxygen some.  Running more tests today.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

covid works differently than they way pneumonia affects the lungs. 

Agree. DD is a 2nd year med student and has said if tests come back negative, but there is still doubt, the gold standard is to do an x ray of the lungs. She said covid pneumonia looks very different on x rays than the other types of pneumonia.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Agree. DD is a 2nd year med student and has said if tests come back negative, but there is still doubt, the gold standard is to do an x ray of the lungs. She said covid pneumonia looks very different on x rays than the other types of pneumonia.

I was sick in January,  but they did a CT with contrast in addition to the xray. 

Not sure all tests they ran, but I was on droplet protocols too while awaiting all the test results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

Yes, this! It's probably more accurate than the actual testing at this point. My sister was going to get an antibody test, as she was very very ill with pneumonia in January/February, but after talkinga bout it she's going to get a copy of her Xray first for her doctor to look at. That may rule it in or out better than an antibody test of questionable value. Back then they didn' tknow to look for it, but they would know now. 

19 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Yes her COVID test came back negative.  Official diagnosis was an ear infection and walking pneumonia.   Now a month later my 11 yr old has strep and pneumonia. 

18 hours ago, Ottakee said:

My mom is hospitalized with suspected pneumonia in my country of origin. Negative for COVID. My mom is 77 years old and has history of bronchitis so the hospital is keeping her inpatient until the full course of antibiotics is finished. She is feeling better because she could walk down the hospital corridor to call my dad even with her rheumatoid arthritis. 

• Sad 2